Author Topic: Adventures in Cosplay!  (Read 192649 times)

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Adventures in Cosplay!
« Reply #660 on: March 03, 2013, 09:13:05 PM »
From yesterday's Touhou shoot at Genericon:

[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
« Reply #661 on: March 03, 2013, 11:51:44 PM »
Two kogasas? I've yet to see one in any of the cons I go to! Nice work guys :D
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #662 on: March 06, 2013, 12:14:19 AM »
You guys are so precious and attractive~! Omg!  :blush:
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #663 on: March 06, 2013, 03:28:53 AM »
I was surprised at the two Kogasas.

Three Alices as well is pretty surprising, compared to Flan, Remi, Reimu and Marisa.

Also a Tokiko.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #664 on: March 06, 2013, 10:04:26 PM »
I was surprised at the two Kogasas.
>:|

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

« Reply #665 on: March 12, 2013, 11:32:06 PM »
Also a Tokiko.

I've been told said youkai shows up at east coast animu conventions, auto shows featuring japanese sports cars, and molecular biology labs attached to hospitals.

Oh and Red Sox games (though not last year though, good god what a stinker that season was).

And occasionally said youkai is a dumbass and forgets to link to vids after a convention is done: http://youtu.be/PTgbYx2fYkc and http://youtu.be/02L3JRxhpNY . Derp :[

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:14:41 AM by DS4_S4N43 »
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #667 on: March 13, 2013, 01:54:38 AM »
KDSS Ran makes me happy.

Did he do the death cry? Best part of that game.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
« Reply #668 on: March 13, 2013, 02:09:15 AM »
@Kilga: Welp, he did various poses (including the two posted) at the photoshoot. He could've done the death cry if he were at the Touhou panel (which I missed due to several delays while going down there) and somebody made a request.

Also, those tails make me incredibly jealous :3 If I were to do a Ran in the future, I have to start thinking about how I'm going to make those tails.

Eiburine

• Ferrero Rocher Lover
« Reply #669 on: March 19, 2013, 06:49:02 PM »
Omg that Suwako is adorable.
And that Unzan is awesome too~ :D

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #670 on: March 25, 2013, 03:57:16 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.522202277822557.1073741826.489495381093247&type=1

from Cosplay Invasion this 23/24th just passed.
best event I ever hosted hooray!
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
« Reply #671 on: April 01, 2013, 01:45:39 PM »
Momiji says hello, right in the middle of a danmaku fight too!

Rumia's nonspell lasers... Me and my ill grazing skillz XD

Also, the Sanae from Katsu says hello from Kansas :3

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #672 on: April 01, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »
That Komachi.  :]
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile

cirnomodo

• Make Miracles!
  • Sanyae says hi :)
« Reply #674 on: May 01, 2013, 09:21:50 AM »
I would love to meet the greatest little Suwako and the great Ichirin+Unzan one day. The two Keine are awesome!

Never been to Sakura-Con before, I must say I love the convention. The cherry blossom around the area is nice, or else the convention does not deserve its name. It was nice to see one of the East Coast guys manning one of the booths in the dealer's hall/artist alley.

Sakura-Con Day 2 (Touhou Day)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.440748576013839.1073741825.119481558140544&type=3

Then I was asked by the SA Marisa to do a photoshoot on Day 3
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.452353071520056.1073741826.119481558140544&type=3
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:27:28 AM by cirnomodo »

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #675 on: May 01, 2013, 03:01:54 PM »
I would love to meet the greatest little Suwako and the great Ichirin+Unzan one day. The two Keine are awesome!

Never been to Sakura-Con before, I must say I love the convention. The cherry blossom around the area is nice, or else the convention does not deserve its name. It was nice to see one of the East Coast guys manning one of the booths in the dealer's hall/artist alley.

Sakura-Con Day 2 (Touhou Day)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.440748576013839.1073741825.119481558140544&type=3

Then I was asked by the SA Marisa to do a photoshoot on Day 3
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.452353071520056.1073741826.119481558140544&type=3
Gaaah, I was SWR Reisen and I couldn't attend the photoshoot DX
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

cirnomodo

• Make Miracles!
« Reply #676 on: May 03, 2013, 04:56:07 AM »
If my memory is correct, I think I bumped into you several times throughout the con?

LadyScarlet

« Reply #677 on: May 03, 2013, 11:13:20 PM »
If my memory is correct, I think I bumped into you several times throughout the con?
Who were you cosplaying as?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #678 on: May 04, 2013, 12:22:40 AM »
I commissioned a Youki costume for Acen that's almost done and looking great, but I still have a few details to work out and wondered if you guys had any suggestions.

First is the hair. I have pretty long hair, so a wig is probably out of the question (not to mention that I've dropped quite a lot of money on this already). I would also prefer not to do anyting permanent to it, because I'll have to live with it for a looooong time. I;ve heard that temporary hair color stuff looks bad, but don't have any experience with it.

Second is the Myon. Not reall sure what to do for it. Is there some kind of material I can drape over a white balloon that you think would look like a ghost tail? Failing that I guess I can just get a balloon and write "Myon" on it. :derp:

Third is shoes. I don't have anything Japanese and again don't really feel like buying anything. Do you think black leather dress shoes would look decent? They make sense as a direct translation of Youmu's outfit but I'm not sure how they'll look with long pants. Probably the least imporant detail, but worth considering I guess.

Advice would be appreciated. This is my first cosplay so I don't know what I'm doing.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

cirnomodo

• Make Miracles!
« Reply #679 on: May 05, 2013, 09:08:48 PM »
I commissioned a Youki costume for Acen that's almost done and looking great, but I still have a few details to work out and wondered if you guys had any suggestions.

First is the hair. I have pretty long hair, so a wig is probably out of the question (not to mention that I've dropped quite a lot of money on this already). I would also prefer not to do anyting permanent to it, because I'll have to live with it for a looooong time. I;ve heard that temporary hair color stuff looks bad, but don't have any experience with it.

Second is the Myon. Not reall sure what to do for it. Is there some kind of material I can drape over a white balloon that you think would look like a ghost tail? Failing that I guess I can just get a balloon and write "Myon" on it. :derp:

Third is shoes. I don't have anything Japanese and again don't really feel like buying anything. Do you think black leather dress shoes would look decent? They make sense as a direct translation of Youmu's outfit but I'm not sure how they'll look with long pants. Probably the least imporant detail, but worth considering I guess.

Advice would be appreciated. This is my first cosplay so I don't know what I'm doing.

Try not to worry too much on not hitting all the details right the first time since this is your first cosplay. Konpaku Youki is pretty open-ended as there isn't really any official illustration of him. You can always progress later if you're not happy with the details. Just try to focus on having a good time in your costume during the convention.

Long hair is not a problem as you can tuck it inside a wig cap (people who has really long hair to their waist does so). Wig cap can provide extra traction for the wig itself to stay on and they're inexpensive. Just make sure the cap is not too tight for you (can definitely tell as it happened to me once). To keep things simple, a white wig will work and look for someone who is willing to trim/style it for you.

Most do not attach Myon when people cosplay as Youmu or Youki, so it's not as critical (depending on the person). Your idea is cool (I thought of that at one point), but you'll have to make sure the balloon doesn't pop on you. A Youmu cosplayer I met made Myon like a plush, which is brilliant.

Expression parts were made for extra fun (the cosplayer in the picture is not Youmu)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2068718632405&set=a.2068715592329.2115615.1078003909&type=3&theater

Matching footwear for your choice of character may not be accessible all the time in your location. A pair of black Tabi (the kind with soles instead of the ones that looks like socks) will be something I would look into as a start (thought of being Youki at one point).
https://www.google.com/search?q=Tabi&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=oMOGUbSdI4HwiwL1_IDACA&ved=0CEoQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=950#imgrc=_

Or better yet, search for pictures of the character you're cosplaying and see what others are wearing. This way you can choose something that best fit to your own judgement. Worst case scenario, just pick the most comfortable option (unless say you're in a photoshoot)- the pair of shoes you wear everyday. Even I can't be walking around all-day on a pair of Geta without a break while cosplaying as Yuugi.

Hope this helps.

cirnomodo

• Make Miracles!
« Reply #680 on: May 05, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »
Who were you cosplaying as?

Kochiya Sanae

LadyScarlet

« Reply #681 on: May 05, 2013, 10:11:46 PM »
Kochiya Sanae
Oh yeah! I think you were that dude in the dealer's room looking at the booth with all the Touhou doujins and $300 dollar Grief Syndrome!

cirnomodo

• Make Miracles!
« Reply #682 on: May 05, 2013, 10:46:06 PM »
Oh yeah! I think you were that dude in the dealer's room looking at the booth with all the Touhou doujins and $300 dollar Grief Syndrome!

lol "two shrine maidens fight over something rare"

I didn't trip. There was another booth closer to the wall (not the Artist Alley side) that has a small selection of Touhou stuff. They have something just as cool and that booth's owners hanged out with us after the gathering.

LadyScarlet

« Reply #683 on: May 07, 2013, 03:42:26 AM »
lol "two shrine maidens fight over something rare"

I didn't trip. There was another booth closer to the wall (not the Artist Alley side) that has a small selection of Touhou stuff. They have something just as cool and that booth's owners hanged out with us after the gathering.
I believe there were a few overpriced Nendoroids and an Iku Nagae 1/8 figure there. Correct me if I'm wrong; I just outlined the booths in search of Touhou figures (specifically, Ques Q's Yukari. Didn't find her, sadly.)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #684 on: May 07, 2013, 04:20:16 AM »
Long hair is not a problem as you can tuck it inside a wig cap (people who has really long hair to their waist does so). Wig cap can provide extra traction for the wig itself to stay on and they're inexpensive. Just make sure the cap is not too tight for you (can definitely tell as it happened to me once). To keep things simple, a white wig will work and look for someone who is willing to trim/style it for you.

Hmm. Maybe a wig is the way to go. What should I do about my beard then? Is there a way to make my facial hair white that won't burn my face off or be permanent but that will still look okay?

cirnomodo

• Make Miracles!
« Reply #685 on: May 07, 2013, 09:15:57 AM »
Hmm. Maybe a wig is the way to go. What should I do about my beard then? Is there a way to make my facial hair white that won't burn my face off or be permanent but that will still look okay?

There should be fake eyebrows and beard in white that you can buy.

http://www.cosp.jp/view_photo.aspx?id=4719872&m=163612

cirnomodo

• Make Miracles!
« Reply #686 on: May 07, 2013, 06:00:09 PM »
I believe there were a few overpriced Nendoroids and an Iku Nagae 1/8 figure there. Correct me if I'm wrong; I just outlined the booths in search of Touhou figures (specifically, Ques Q's Yukari. Didn't find her, sadly.)

mmm... May be I didn't look carefully as I only saw someone selling a Sakuya Nendoroid.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #687 on: May 10, 2013, 09:47:50 PM »
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #688 on: May 10, 2013, 10:47:23 PM »
Why hello there 3D Maneuver Gear
http://blog.sina.cn/dpool/blog/ArtRead.php?nid=b5abf4db01019ka9&from=wb2source

Soon

Ha! That's the kind of thing that you can just haphazardly attach to any other cosplay. Stormtrooper. Link. Marisa. Superman. Harry Potter. It would make any of them look better. :D

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #689 on: May 11, 2013, 12:45:00 AM »
wear Reimu's wig and all the accessories, customize the thing with talismans and stuff, cosplay as reimu with boots. ATTACK A GIANT CIRNO
and we have epic.

who is gonna help me build a giant cirno?