Author Topic: Adventures in Cosplay!  (Read 192664 times)

Bobsixtyfour

Re: Adventures in Cosplay!
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2011, 05:21:56 AM »
I'm using Fleece... which on hindsite, I should have bought the anti-pilling version... (Facepalm). Now I'm doomed to never wash these or face pilling.

« Reply #181 on: September 20, 2011, 12:36:19 AM »
Pretty slick job there, Bob  :] Going to make point / other items as well?

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #182 on: September 20, 2011, 07:14:08 AM »
Pretty slick job there, Bob  :] Going to make point / other items as well?
Not sure lolz. One curved P is hard enough to sew using my current method. Will probably have to resort to just topstiching down the white over a solid piece of a colored back piece.

Update: So today I worked on the other side of the P pillow.

Bought a seamripper, so I managed to salvage the failure "b" from yesterday.
Sewing the first layer P.

The underside.

Adding on the white border...

Underside.

Blah this marker sucks, it gets everywhere! But it's the only thing I have that marks fleece reasonably well so that I can see the markings.

Yay! the other side is done.

Now to wash (the marker out) and dry it for the final sewing of the two halfs.... then hopefully i'll remember to add gap to invert and then stuff with stuffing!

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2011, 03:02:46 PM »
Go make a point item pillow ^^

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #184 on: September 20, 2011, 11:32:18 PM »
So I went and ordered that Youmu costume over the weekend. I'll need to wait those few weeks before stuff arrives, but at least I can get started with some parts of the outfit when the time comes. I had already planned to use a long-sleeved shirt in place of the one provided, so the next big thing I'm looking for is if the skirt gets tailored long enough for me.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #185 on: September 21, 2011, 06:32:49 AM »
oooh, where did you order the costume from?

Edit: also an update on the pillow!

What? Pillow is evolving!

Inside-out pillow has evolved into flat pillow!

Lol when sewing the two halfs together, almost forgot to leave this gap (to turn it inside out).

Stuffing the pillow like Yuyuko stuffs her mouth :D

Stuffed... I think...

Think it needs more stuffing?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:03:41 AM by Bob64 »

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #186 on: September 21, 2011, 09:58:15 AM »
I don't know about needing more stuffing, but you do need a point item pillow to go with it. Doing another one to see if you can make it a little faster might make for a good exercise for getting ready to make costumes.

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #187 on: September 21, 2011, 03:55:34 PM »
Blah, this means I'll need to get a higher-res version of whatever kanji that is. Blurry pixelated 10x10 reference pictures aren't good.

Grimarg

• B-but you haven't promoted me yet!
  • Thanks Aoshi for the avvy! :3
« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
I screwed up, I reversed the color pattern in Eirin's clothes for my get up, instead of  Red-Blue-Blue-Red, I made it Blue-Red-Red-Blue.

And I can't reverse it because I have already sewn the zipper, fuck.

« Reply #189 on: September 21, 2011, 10:29:50 PM »
Just say you're the BLU Eirin!  (Yes, I know that's not how it works)

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #190 on: September 21, 2011, 10:30:53 PM »
I screwed up, I reversed the color pattern in Eirin's clothes for my get up, instead of  Red-Blue-Blue-Red, I made it Blue-Red-Red-Blue.

And I can't reverse it because I have already sewn the zipper, fuck.

lvl 10 seamripper skills to the rescue?

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2011, 11:21:09 PM »
Or just run with it. Nothing wrong with being different, right? Or you could say your mirror-Eirin.

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

« Reply #192 on: September 21, 2011, 11:57:55 PM »
Or you could just, y'know, admit you screwed up. :V

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #193 on: September 22, 2011, 09:22:33 AM »
Blah, this means I'll need to get a higher-res version of whatever kanji that is. Blurry pixelated 10x10 reference pictures aren't good.

Like this?

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2011, 07:14:44 PM »
Look at that, the wig arrived much earlier than expected. Seems to have made the trip all right, though it feels like the bangs are a bit too long (they keep poking my eyes). I might take a couple pictures later after I get this thing sorted out.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #195 on: September 22, 2011, 08:03:10 PM »
I gave some help to someone who would like to make a KD Meiling costume of her own. Meiling was a labor of love, so it felt really good.

Ran is coming along. Nothing exciting to post though. I do have a mob cap half done that's waiting for a pair of ears. Instead of the oddball rune squiggles on her hat, I'm using some 4 kanji idiomatic phrases that apply to myself. I thought it would be easier to do than embroidering an odd pattern onto a bit of fabric.
Look at that, the wig arrived much earlier than expected. Seems to have made the trip all right, though it feels like the bangs are a bit too long (they keep poking my eyes). I might take a couple pictures later after I get this thing sorted out.
Most wigs come with the bangs too long on purpose. Luckily, Youmu's bangs and bob cut are very hime-esque, so trimming and styling will be a relatively easy thing to pull off, even if you're a newcomer.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #196 on: September 22, 2011, 09:16:04 PM »
Test picture. No headband yet, that's coming with the rest. And I think I'll need to trim my eyebrows a bit once I get closer to the full thing.

gammaraptor

« Reply #197 on: September 22, 2011, 09:35:15 PM »

Talka

• Forever Newbie
  • all your food are belong to us
    • ddiction
« Reply #198 on: September 25, 2011, 08:30:46 AM »
Went to a local Japan Festival in Kansas City! I was Miku and didn't see much Touhou, except this one girl?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Misuzu05/Cosplay/_DSC5702_2-1.jpg
It wasn't really an anime-con, but they had an anime floor and Naka-Kon had a room or something.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:46:51 AM by Talka »

Grimarg

« Reply #199 on: September 25, 2011, 12:23:28 PM »
I think i managed to re invert the color pattern, but i fear the result will be too bright, anyway, expect pictures

labeth

• Oh my god, it's full of carbs
« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2011, 08:09:19 PM »
To several people, since I have been MIA for a couple weeks:

Good luck, Grimarg!

I love the P-pillow.

And the Youmu wig looks pretty good!

I have been mostly not doing cosplay-y things at the moment, since I am trying to put together something to go to the renaissance fair. I need to start hitting Goodwills for suit coats for Beatrice... I was thinking, with a quick skirt and stocking change and a different wig, Beatrice --> Koakuma. Ideas...

« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2011, 12:45:19 PM »
So for Nom-Con last month I went as Reimu http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/373/26736923175695401841277.jpgand as Beatrice http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7648/dscn1632d.jpg
Both outfits were bought *shot*
I'm planning on reusing the Beato wig for a Saber cosplay at some point.

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2011, 03:01:23 PM »
<3 Saber.
I was actually thinking of making an Emiya Shirou costume with a set of green EL wire running down my arm to symbolize the magic circuits.

Grimarg

« Reply #203 on: September 27, 2011, 05:22:44 AM »
PICTARS TIEM

this is what i have so far
http://i.imgur.com/gSpJk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FGo7S.jpg

I still have to make that neck thingy for the shirt and the constellations and the trigrams, but i have time until the con

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #204 on: September 28, 2011, 03:26:53 AM »
Nice Erin. Can't wait to see it completed.

I'm also going to make a V2 of the P pillow, turns out the borders are rounded. Also going to try another way to pattern it and such :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 05:20:17 AM by Bob64 »

labeth

• Oh my god, it's full of carbs
« Reply #205 on: September 28, 2011, 11:07:23 PM »
Hey, Desu, nothing wrong with purchasing outfits! I mostly like to purchase stuff if I can, it's only my unstoppable perfectionism if I can't find something that's just right that lands me at the sewing machine... also, yay third Beatrice in the thread! I wouldn't dare wear the gown, though. Too much sexyback.

Grimarg-- Eirin looks good so far!

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #206 on: October 03, 2011, 01:16:54 PM »
Man, I remember when I used to have trouble with things like zippers and shoe covers. Ran is now down to a handful of tweaks and (hopefully) robotic ears. I have some clear monofilament fishing line coming in on Wednesday for support for the tails, too.

Next up, I'd like to do Yang Wenli from Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Considering that all I'll need to do is make a jacket and beret. it shouldn't be too tough. Still, I gotta figure out a way to do a military-style patch for one of the sleeves and I'll be darned if I have anything for embroidering, let alone the knowledge to do it.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

gammaraptor

« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2011, 12:19:35 AM »
Man, I remember when I used to have trouble with things like zippers and shoe covers. Ran is now down to a handful of tweaks and (hopefully) robotic ears. I have some clear monofilament fishing line coming in on Wednesday for support for the tails, too.

Next up, I'd like to do Yang Wenli from Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Considering that all I'll need to do is make a jacket and beret. it shouldn't be too tough. Still, I gotta figure out a way to do a military-style patch for one of the sleeves and I'll be darned if I have anything for embroidering, let alone the knowledge to do it.

Robotic ears? xD. I don't even know how to do zippers.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #208 on: October 05, 2011, 10:48:41 PM »
My Youmu costume has arrived! At last I have the headband to go with that wig. :V Everything I needed from that package is tailored just right too, which is sweet. Here are some trial pics with the outfit.

I know my skin isn't in the best condition today. I'll worry more about that when I wear this for an event.

If memory serves, this is the first time I've (willingly) worn a skirt. And while the outfit is based on this, the shoes obviously aren't the same. I still need to deal with those.

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #209 on: October 05, 2011, 10:57:32 PM »
Those shoes do work though, if you can't find/make a pair that looks more like the character art you used.