Author Topic: Adventures in Cosplay!  (Read 192684 times)

Re: Adventures in Cosplay!
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2011, 10:41:37 PM »
Hoi, the last time I ever shaved my legs was for a Kenshin cosplay, and that was with an electric razor; I have no idea how you ladyfolk put up with doing this sort of thing regularly.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2011, 12:59:47 AM »
It is highly dependent on the razor!
Apparently the last pack I bought is terrible and I have to break out the bandaids every other shave.

Back to sort of on topic,
I'm going to get fabric for Youmu soon, but I'm torn on long sleeve or short sleeve mode.  Convince me one way or the other!

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2011, 01:08:54 AM »
I'd say short sleeves. Summer is hot, and the canon pictures show short sleeves.

Grimarg

• B-but you haven't promoted me yet!
  • Thanks Aoshi for the avvy! :3
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2011, 01:14:45 AM »
Short sleeves rlz, always short sleeves, even in the coldest of winter

« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2011, 01:21:05 AM »
I'd go with short sleeves, but that's just because short sleeves and short pants/skirts go together to me.  Curse you, symmetry!

Talka

• Forever Newbie
  • all your food are belong to us
    • ddiction
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2011, 04:32:26 AM »
O, there's an active cosplay thread here now..!

I suppose i've always been interested, but there's a few problems I see; I'm a guy, for one, which makes cosplaying much harder. Two, cosplaying good is hard and i'm a perfectionist. And there's the unchangeable factor that your body itself is a dependent factor on that; i'm not ugly, nor am I fat, but i'm not a skinny person. The third issue I see, and arguably the most fixable, is that i've never exactly gone to a con or anything of the sort, and I don't actually know anyone who does, although I do have a friend who cosplays, although she has.. issues. Anyways, I don't really know how i'd get started whatsoever.

Well, being a guy doesn't deter that much... one of the most beautiful Touhou cosplayers I know is a guy. (This Byakuren is a guy. ;P ) You just have to put a lot of effort into it. Corsets and hip pads help with reshaping the body a little, and makeup does wonders. Then there's the entire issue with properly cutting and styling wigs... So, the entire process does take getting used to. Having a cosplayer friend and having him/her help you rehearse will certainly boost up your cosplay level before going to a con.

« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2011, 04:58:25 AM »
(This Byakuren is a guy. ;P )

That Is the most beautiful guy ever. I wanna know if anybody from here is going to Ohayocon In Ohio? I'm trying to do a Passable Reisen there soooo, Any tips?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2011, 05:04:02 AM »
All that lace... that face.... and those legs....aghaghagh.  Beautiful.

Gramity

« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2011, 03:28:17 PM »
Well, being a guy doesn't deter that much... one of the most beautiful Touhou cosplayers I know is a guy. (This Byakuren is a guy. ;P ) You just have to put a lot of effort into it. Corsets and hip pads help with reshaping the body a little, and makeup does wonders. Then there's the entire issue with properly cutting and styling wigs... So, the entire process does take getting used to. Having a cosplayer friend and having him/her help you rehearse will certainly boost up your cosplay level before going to a con.

Impressive :) makes me wanna buy my makeup and try to be as pretty as he is :O

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2011, 03:54:44 PM »
(This Byakuren is a guy. ;P )
Guhguhguhguh :yumemi::yumemi::yumemi:  But I don't like Bya- I don't... Um... Uh...

...That man is beautiful and I want to have his babies. >.>  Gaaah, I wish I could look even a fraction of how good he does. >.<

Um... Ahem.  Sorry, was just passing through and, uh... Uwaaah~ :yumemi:
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »
omg i need to find roomies that know how to put on makeup.

Grimarg

• B-but you haven't promoted me yet!
  • Thanks Aoshi for the avvy! :3
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2011, 06:23:23 PM »
I don't know why I keep doing this, I spent all my money and I still have to buy my wig, I should buy the wig first, good thing that the con is the next month, that'll give some time to collect some money to buy it, or at lest ask a friend to borrow me hers.

triangles

« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2011, 06:40:03 PM »
Keep in mind that guy's got a LOT of genetics in his favor (and probably some photoshop, from what little I know of the Asian cosplay scene)

I mean, there's close to zero way I'd get MJP to pass as genetically female given his body type, facial structure and height.  Hell, I'll never look that pretty and I've got 25 years of practice   

From what I've seen, Brohous come in three primary flavors: "dude in girl costume looking like a dude in girl costume," "dude in girl costume looking like a girl in girl costume," and "dude modifying girl costume to be brotastic" and you can see well-done examples of all 3 types from these forums.  It just boils down to which you prefer and want to roll with.

I don't know why I keep doing this, I spent all my money and I still have to buy my wig, I should buy the wig first, good thing that the con is the next month, that'll give some time to collect some money to buy it, or at lest ask a friend to borrow me hers.
Yeah wigs can get pricey if they're complicated, borrowing is good!  You can get some nice deals on eBay nowadays with fast shipping.

Talka

• Forever Newbie
    • ddiction
« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2011, 08:26:17 PM »
Mm, a few more crossplayers? All CureCos, so it'd help to have an account...
Byakuren cosplayer's CureCos account. He recently does a lot of IDOLM@STER, and not much Touhou. He's actually a normal guy when he doesn't cosplay, which is neat. (Unlike the guy below.)
This is just my junior at my university, but then this guy doesn't count because he looks like a girl to begin with. xD

And then, there are few that are not as good as the above, but pretty good. But the thing you see here, is that the picture/cosplay quality affects how well you look. Like some of these guys look better in one cosplay than another.
Another friend of mine. He's not been able to cosplay so much recently due to his job.
The cosplaying professor. He was at AX10 as the really tall Sakuya, so maybe some of you have seen him.
Then there's me, but I don't have very many good photos.

Keep in mind that guy's got a LOT of genetics in his favor (and probably some photoshop, from what little I know of the Asian cosplay scene)

Yeah, there is a lot of Photoshop, and simple photography tricks as well.

In terms of the build, the only things unfavorable as a guy, I feel are the shoulders and the waist. (Breasts and butts you can add on. ^^; ) But you can't narrow your shoulders, and you can only narrow your waist using a corset when it isn't exposed. (And there are a lot of characters with bellybuttons exposed, fortunately not many in Touhou.) Also, the muscular types need to hide the arms if you want to look like a girl.

There are also 2 popular wig tricks... one is to have your bangs cut so it just hides your brows.  This helps if you have thick brows and cannot trim them for some reason.  Second is to have a little bit of hair on the side of your cheeks and glue it on with clear eye-lash glue or any adhesive that dries clear + won't hurt your skin. The side hair will cover up protruding cheek bones or any male looking facial contours if done correctly. See the Byakuren photo again to see what I'm talking about.

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #164 on: September 12, 2011, 07:05:33 AM »
I think there's a 4th type of Brohou:
The one that looks like a guy in girls clothes, except he makes it look good somehow.

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #165 on: September 12, 2011, 01:14:42 PM »
Mm, a few more crossplayers? All CureCos, so it'd help to have an account...
Byakuren cosplayer's CureCos account. He recently does a lot of IDOLM@STER, and not much Touhou. He's actually a normal guy when he doesn't cosplay, which is neat. (Unlike the guy below.)
This is just my junior at my university, but then this guy doesn't count because he looks like a girl to begin with. xD
I always thought of nonomy as prettier than any guy could possibly be, but this aonyan is even more impressive.

Btw, Talka, you were the Elly in ddiction's booth back at Reitaisai in May, right?
I should have at least said hi when I went by there, but I totally didn't recognize it was you.  :derp:
I mean, I still kinda picture you as Shizuha...

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #166 on: September 12, 2011, 03:07:13 PM »
Talka did make a zomghot Shizuha~  ^.^

Talka

• Forever Newbie
    • ddiction
« Reply #167 on: September 12, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »
I always thought of nonomy as prettier than any guy could possibly be, but this aonyan is even more impressive.
Really, like I said, he doesn't count, he looks like a girl to begin with. I'd marry him if I could. ;P  Curious how we are all in the same club in the same university. And, yes, I was the Elly at the booth.

Talka did make a zomghot Shizuha~  ^.^
That was so old. ;P  It's a cosplayer thing to try to get new costumes every event, but then, I sort of gave up on that. Also, people can usually tell Nonomy whatever he happens to be wearing, (or at least I can) but it seems I don't get recognized wearing different outfits, so I'm trying to be consistent with what I wear now. But then, the level of some Touhou cosplayers in Japan are so high, it makes me want to crawl under the rug. I want to remake the Shizuha outfit so the silhouette looks better before I wear it, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to that. Elly & Akyu are the main costumes I'm working around now.

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
« Reply #168 on: September 12, 2011, 07:36:30 PM »
It is highly dependent on the razor!
Apparently the last pack I bought is terrible and I have to break out the bandaids every other shave.

Back to sort of on topic,
I'm going to get fabric for Youmu soon, but I'm torn on long sleeve or short sleeve mode.  Convince me one way or the other!

Short sleeves =P. Looks more like her, and cheaper lol.

« Reply #169 on: September 12, 2011, 11:31:02 PM »
Elly
Ah, yes, PC-98 needs more love~

Talka

• Forever Newbie
    • ddiction
« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2011, 05:16:52 AM »
Ah, yes, PC-98 needs more love~
There were surprisingly many Elly cosplayers in events in Japan. I saw three other than me at Reitaisai 8, and two at Yogakudan Carnival! 2 (where I didn't cosplay). But then, maybe because she's in that Bad Apple!! PV. Also, Mima is a popular for one with no representation in Windows ver.

I actually chose Elly because I wanted a matching costume with a friend who has a PC-98 Yuuka. I had the clothes and had it planned, but not sewn for like a year... then I learned that there was a PC-98 Touhou Only Event (first one was last year), and I ended up sewing the entire night trying to get it for the event. But I've haven't gotten to take photos with my friend's Yuuka yet :/

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2011, 08:49:51 PM »
Hey cosplayers from Otakon this year, we were posted up on The Escapist.  (I'm the PC98 redhead Marisa.)

Missing booru tag:  absolutely everyone

triangles

« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2011, 11:03:15 PM »
Aww yeah all the Touhous  :dragonforce:
Spoiler:
page 21 over here!

« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2011, 02:58:07 AM »
Also while we're on the topic of shaving... Armpits? Shave or no? (if cosplaying a character with detached sleeves)?

If you're just trying for a brohou rather than a genderswap, then yeah, definitely.
Some advice: if you're going to do any sort of shaving, go get yourself a Remington BodyGroomer. It's like $15 at Target and cuts through body hair like hot butter without leaving so much as a scratch on your skin. Go over with that and then finish up with a regular razor in the shower. Presto! You're a hairless freak.

Those male cosplayers are ridiculously good-looking. It's like they were genetically predestined to dress up as girls from Japanese video games.

I'm pretty excited for NYAF/NYCC, I've got a joint touhou cosplay set up for the first day and a megaman one for the second. First one is nearly done (just need to make a prop), and second is maybe a quarter of the way there (all planned out at least). Anyone else from here going?

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
« Reply #174 on: September 16, 2011, 02:07:29 PM »
I'm pretty excited for NYAF/NYCC, I've got a joint touhou cosplay set up for the first day and a megaman one for the second. First one is nearly done (just need to make a prop), and second is maybe a quarter of the way there (all planned out at least). Anyone else from here going?
I'll be there, but not costumed.
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2011, 04:49:21 AM »
While I don't really have the time to visit cons right now, something like Halloween still gives me a bit of inspiration to try this out. I've been tossing around the idea of me crossplaying as Youmu for some time, but those comments about crossplaying from the previous page still have me undecided on a few things. Mostly to do with my face, since I have a somewhat big (well, "long") chin and forehead, and I don't know yet if I would rather stick to the skirt (something closer to this length) or make some other Brohou-like modification in order to compliment that. Either way it turns out, I'd need to ask for assistance on that, since I don't know anything about creating these sorts of things from scratch.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Gramity

« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2011, 04:51:07 AM »
While I don't really have the time to visit cons right now, something like Halloween still gives me a bit of inspiration to try this out.

Yay that's totally great Cosplay is the best hobby ever !....(even though I don't make my cosplay)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 04:54:40 AM by Gramity »

« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2011, 12:15:18 AM »
While I don't really have the time to visit cons right now, something like Halloween still gives me a bit of inspiration to try this out. I've been tossing around the idea of me crossplaying as Youmu for some time, but those comments about crossplaying from the previous page still have me undecided on a few things. Mostly to do with my face, since I have a somewhat big (well, "long") chin and forehead, and I don't know yet if I would rather stick to the skirt (something closer to this length) or make some other Brohou-like modification in order to compliment that. Either way it turns out, I'd need to ask for assistance on that, since I don't know anything about creating these sorts of things from scratch.

Face-wise, if you're going for an accurate wig the bangs will cover the forehead so that's not a problem, and if you've got a masculine chin/jawline then brohou would look better as opposed to straight crossplay. On that route, just redesign the skirt into shorts (http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/277056/absurdres-aki_minoriko-aki_shizuha-alice_margatroi), pants (http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/799495/ahoge-belt-bracer-chikage_-kinokodou-dual_wielding), ripped skirt over black pants (http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/601480/blue_eyes-bokuden-genderswap-highres-konpaku_youmu), or even this torn hakama look I'm kinda digging: http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/684528/genderswap-katana-konpaku_youmu-long_hair-ponytail.

Youmu's more or less a closet cosplay, the bottom is the only thing you might have to make depending on how accurate you want to be, brohou or touhou. Post progress pics when you've started putting stuff together!  :)

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #178 on: September 19, 2011, 05:14:32 AM »
So I decided to start practicing on how to sew by making the P powerup pillow... Planned it out with photoshop....

tested the pattern by printing and assembling it with paper

Seemed to work fine, so off to:

The full scale patterns (finished product was to be ~12 inches by 12 inches... with a 1/2 inch seam allowance of sorts?

Cutting fabric and marking where to cut...

Hindsight: should have bought some chalk... this crayola marker got all over my hands and smudged everywhere. Had to keep washing my hands to avoid messing up the fabric...

Then off to the sewing part....

with a result of...

FAIL. I guess this is what happens when I stay up all night and start sewing. Doh. Would have looked damn good if I remembered to reverse it.

Attempt #2:

Not bad.

Now for the white border.

Meh, top corner could have been better.

And the red border:

Mebbie I should have picked the EASY MODEO way of attaching the white parts? (leaving the red square and then sewing on the white bits?)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 05:24:01 AM by Bob64 »

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #179 on: September 19, 2011, 05:19:17 AM »
Looks better than what I can do. o/ What kind of fabric were you using?

Ninja'd

(Also I think the images are a bit too large.)
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder