Author Topic: Touhou: Highly Responsive to Prayers Remade  (Read 16263 times)

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
Touhou: Highly Responsive to Prayers Remade
« on: January 21, 2011, 06:29:55 PM »
TOUHOU: HIGHLY RESPONSIVE TO PRAYERS REMADE

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to play the first Touhou game ever made: Highly Responsive to Prayers. Being a Touhou fan, I found it really unique. From the second game onward, it evolved into the bullet hell danmaku shooter that we all know and love. But I thought to myself, "This game really needs a remake!" Seriously, it may be primitive-looking, but it is frustrating and fun! And I'm sure if any of you have played it , you'd agree.

So I wanna try a remake.

Plot?
-Same as the original. An unknown force has destroyed the Hakurei Shrine. The resident Shrine Maiden, Reimu Hakurei, goes to find and punish the culprit.

Gameplay?

-Again, same as the original.

What Will Set it Apart?
-Actual DIALOGUE, which the original lacked.
-Upgrades for the Yin-yang orb that you can pick up from cleared cards
-A new boss for both paths and a new EX-boss depending on which area you cleared in the main game

-What I need is someone who's good at pixel art. I can basically do most of the programming work, once I find a good program to work with.

Re: Touhou: Highly Responsive to Prayers Remade
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 06:55:22 PM »
What resolution do you plan the game to run at ? (Note:The PC-98 games run at 640x400, but the standard for 2D games nowadays is 640x480)

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 06:59:11 PM »
Uhhh...I haven't thought of the resolution exactly.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:00:02 PM »

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 07:19:32 PM »
Haha, wow! I was not aware of that. Oh well. I'm still gonna persist with my remake.

bennelsey

• Touhou fan-game Developer
  • Will make Touhou fan-games for food
    • EastGap
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 12:05:27 AM »
I love these games because of variety <3
http://yuki.kitune.info/hikari/flash/kamuyden.html <-- the Shinki remake

High def remake pl0x

KuraiShoka

• Now son, don't touch that cactus...
  • Son, I Am Dissapoint
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 12:42:19 AM »
You could try using Danmakufu. There's some code you can put in the player script to disable vertical movement. Not sure what could be done for the ying-yang balls though :V

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 04:29:52 AM »
This again?  :V

Darn it Jaimers, always stealing my thunder. >:<

Really, by all means go ahead and do it, but I won't get my hopes up until I see results.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 11:08:51 AM »
You could try using Danmakufu. There's some code you can put in the player script to disable vertical movement. Not sure what could be done for the ying-yang balls though :V
I've though alot about how to properly make a tHRtP Reimu player in danmakufu, but never really had the time/pizzaz to actually make it.

Then again, I doubt he intended to use danmakufu, so yeah.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 04:20:55 PM »
Yeah I'll most likely use Game Maker,

bennelsey

• EastGap
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
I used to work with Game Maker so feel free to shoot some questions about it my way :3

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 03:54:43 PM »
Until I find a pixel artist to help me, I'll be working on character art.

Here is Reimu's new design so far: http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9642/remadereimu.png

bennelsey

• EastGap
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 09:26:08 AM »
damn nice art, I like the game already :3

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 09:36:45 AM »
Haha, thanks! Next will be Shingyoku.

Kyaksa

• Fred-Erika Bernkastel Mirrors Rika's True Nature: Spoiled child
  • When They Cry: You are probably dead now
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 06:08:26 PM »
Please let Shingyoku still be a Thing, Demon Girl, and a Shrine Priest (Aka Male)...

But this sounds so cool <3

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »
Please let Shingyoku still be a Thing, Demon Girl, and a Shrine Priest (Aka Male)...

But this sounds so cool <3

There wouldn't be any reason for me to change Shingyoku, so yes, it'll stay the same xD

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 05:24:29 PM »
TOUHOU: HIGHLY RESPONSIVE TO PRAYERS REMADE

-Actual DIALOGUE, which the original lacked.

Hm... Will Yuugenmagan have dialogue too? We don't even know if that thing can talk.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 05:56:24 PM »
Hm... Will Yuugenmagan have dialogue too? We don't even know if that thing can talk.

If he goes that route, it's possible. Fan theories (yes there are fan theories for HRtP characters hard as it is to believe) say that the vaguely humanoid shape where the eye's electricity meets is a central consciousness. Looking at Yuugenmagan's Pixiv page, it's often personified as a slightly depraved man in grey robes.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 06:03:25 AM »
Oh gosh this. (it's what I found while browsing older topics) I assume it's ok to post in this one right? don't hurt me

Anyway:
Yeah, I did that too, also using Game Maker. It didn't end well, and I never really got that far because gravity hates me. I've already done the first 4 levels, but that's it. (music-less and soundless)
If you could do this that would be great! (hopefully with less glitches than the original but we'll see)

I could post on the net what I've done with mine but it sucks. Unless you really REALLY want it...

Edit: Also, what the heck is Kikuri gonna say? It'd be amusing I might think.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Shrine of Chaos

• Border of Insanity and Boredom
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 08:25:11 PM »
Personally, I always figured YuugenMagan was related to Yukari somehow, due to the eyes looking somewhat similar to her gaps... but who knows?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 08:45:35 PM »
I love the idea of a "remake" of HRtP if for no other reason than the game itself is a remake of a remake.

But yeah, count me in for "go for it".

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »
I think Savory dropped this project seeing as this thread is 21 months old, but for what it's worth, I'd support a remake of HRtP.
Tengukami, how is the game a remake of a remake. I'm sure the concept wasn't new when ZUN made it but did it do any verbatim copying?

Shrine of Chaos

• Border of Insanity and Boredom
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 11:28:49 PM »
Out of curiousity, aside from that remake of Touhou 2, Story of Eastern Wind, are there any other remakes? I recall seeing some kind of Touhou 5 remake on Youtube...

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 11:50:48 PM »
I think Savory dropped this project seeing as this thread is 21 months old, but for what it's worth, I'd support a remake of HRtP.

I regret to say that I haven't really been ambitious with this project when I brought up the idea. I attempted art for the game, but eventually I gave up.

Meh, who knows? I might come back to this in the future.  Can't guarantee much, but maybe someone else will carry on the idea.

Again, who knows? And again, sorry for this. ^^;

bennelsey

• EastGap
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 12:59:56 PM »
and i was pretty excited when i saw this thread got bumped half a month ago, bawww :/

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 02:33:45 PM »
and i was pretty excited when i saw this thread got bumped half a month ago, bawww :/
And why are you bumping it back up again? The thread is clearly more than a month old.

There is no excuse to ignore the warning the forum gives with old threads, unless you're not the author or a person with announcement regarding the project, there is no need for bumping up. For this reason, we don't lock threads necessarily.