Author Topic: Keep reading the news!  (Read 65527 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Keep reading the news!
« Reply #390 on: February 16, 2011, 04:17:15 AM »
Can you imagine the reaction Fox News et al would have if Obama actually sent in the National Guard? Just hypothetically. Because I sure as fuck can't. I mean they called him Hitler and the Antichrist just for wanting universal healthcare/acknowledging the existence of non-Christians/being an uppity negro. They already went straight for the top shelf with their hyperbole, what the fuck is left for them to even say? I really wonder.

I think Sean Hannity would just explode in a giant mist cloud of blood from rage.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #391 on: February 16, 2011, 04:33:21 AM »
I guess after thinking about it my question is - How would the federal government null this state's law?  There would have to be some overriding federal law granting protection to abortion doctors, which I somehow don't see getting passed any time soon... Unless I'm missing something.

There's no federal law protecting serial killers, but that doesn't mean a civilian can shoot a convicted serial killer in the face and get away with it without a sentence.

Incidentally, I've never seen "justifiable homicide" used outside of a self-defense, law enforcement, or military operations/counterterrorism perspective.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #392 on: February 16, 2011, 05:42:11 AM »
Probably under the interstate trade clause, since granting anyone the legal right to murder people is a really bad thing for trade.  When all you need to do to claim justifiable homicide is to claim someones a danger to an unborn child you've effectively legalized murder.  It's not that hard to set up a "danger" to an unborn child.

The Commerce Clause binds the federal Congress, not the states.  For a Constitutional attack on the SoDak bill, we should look to the 14th Amendment.  Withholding the protection of the state from a disfavored class is precisely the ill the 14th Amendment was meant to address.  And while abortion doctors are not a protected class in the same way race is, the bill probably doesn't even pass the rather deferential rational-basis standard.  It doesn't take particularly searching scrutiny to see a problem in granting the state's imprimatur to politically motivated murder.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #393 on: February 16, 2011, 12:44:29 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12478238

An Iraqi defector whose claims Saddam Hussein had biological weapons helped justify the 2003 invasion has said he lied to bring the ex-leader down.

Shit, why did I laugh so hard at this?
There was something here once. Wonder what...

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #395 on: February 16, 2011, 02:36:01 PM »
Mass-misinformation is the most insidious thing in existence. It makes me so sick.

An Iraqi defector whose claims Saddam Hussein had biological weapons helped justify the 2003 invasion has said he lied to bring the ex-leader down.
Because this has been known since 2004, if not earlier?  :derp:
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Huckebein

« Reply #396 on: February 16, 2011, 02:40:26 PM »

I think for me it was the fact that Mr. Janabi figured "This sounds like a good way to get rid of Saddam!" but then had no idea that it could be used as a justification for war.  "What?  But he doesn't actually have them, and you're going to war anyway!?"
"lol yep :P"

Shock and LOL, man.  Shock and LOL.

The bigger the lie...

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #397 on: February 16, 2011, 03:08:48 PM »
People forget that Iraq has a massive stockpile of other weapons they were by treaty not allowed to have.  For years, the Iraqis had refused or belayed UN inspectors.  The day the invasion began, Iraq starting firing missiles at Kuwait it had spent years insisting it did not have.

I know it's easy to only say "we went to war because of the WMDs" or "we went to war because of the oil" or what-have-you, but there was a hell of a lot more to it - and it was almost assured to happen even before 9/11.

Huckebein

« Reply #398 on: February 16, 2011, 03:59:42 PM »
Libya joins in on the protesting fun and shenanigans.

Nonetheless:
However, correspondents say it is unlikely that Libya's leader Muammar Gaddafi - who has ruled the country since a coup in 1969 - will lose power any time soon.

Not terribly surprising, knowing Gadaffi.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #399 on: February 16, 2011, 10:34:36 PM »
On a somewhat different tack, this is kind of creepy and reminds me of Argentina's Guerra Sucia, except more blatant. :ohdear:

« Reply #400 on: February 17, 2011, 02:30:09 AM »
I just learned that under the Fox News logo it says "Fair & Balanced"

no words

Edible

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #402 on: February 17, 2011, 04:56:25 AM »
I'd be more impressed if the move wasn't more words to avoid actually out and out admitting Israel is breaking the law, but it is something.

Five bucks says the usual groups will claim this is selling out to the terrorists....

Tengukami

« Reply #403 on: February 17, 2011, 05:02:01 AM »
Woah woah woah woah.

http://turtlebay.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/02/16/in_major_reversal_us_to_rebuke_israel_in_security_council

Woah.

Still, the U.S. offer signaled a renewed willingness to seek a way out of the current impasse, even if it requires breaking with Israel and joining others in the council in sending a strong message to its key ally to stop its construction of new settlements.

That is pretty significant.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #404 on: February 17, 2011, 06:23:01 AM »
it's world war 3 man
world war 3

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #405 on: February 17, 2011, 12:49:48 PM »
Still, the U.S. offer signaled a renewed willingness to seek a way out of the current impasse, even if it requires breaking with Israel and joining others in the council in sending a strong message to its key ally to stop its construction of new settlements.
About effing time.
As much as the attacks from and human rights violations in the surrounding countries are terrible, Isreal's settling policy is condemnable as well, and stopping it would be a major step towards peace in the middle east.

Of course, my opinions don't matter because I am totally only badmouthing Israel because I am German and thus hate jews.
* Eeyore facepalms*
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Huckebein

« Reply #406 on: February 17, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »
About effing time.
As much as the attacks from and human rights violations in the surrounding countries are terrible, Isreal's settling policy is condemnable as well, and stopping it would be a major step towards peace in the middle east.

Of course, my opinions don't matter because I am totally only badmouthing Israel because I am German and thus hate jews.
* Eeyore facepalms*
Like there were never German Jews or something.  Or that every German was a Nazi.  Or that this is the 21st century.

Anyway, getting back on topic, things continue to heat up in Libya.

Mohammed Ali Abdellah, deputy leader of the exiled National Front for the Salvation of Libya, said that hospitals in al-Baida were experiencing a shortage of medical supplies, saying the government had refused to provide them to treat an increasing number of protesters.

Abdellah quoted hospital officials in the town as saying that about 70 people have been admitted since Wednesday night, about half of them critically injured by gunshot wounds.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #408 on: February 18, 2011, 12:17:55 AM »
OMG YOUR NICKNAME IS IRYAN THAT'S ONLY ONE LETTER AWAY FROM ARYAN!!!1!

But anyway, from the AP, I found a line that intrigued me, even though it was mentioned almost in passing:

Protesters have turned a landmark square in the capital of Manama into their base camp, which was swollen with tens of thousands of people by nightfall Wednesday. Their chants literally reverberated off the buildings and bridges. They sang the Egyptian national anthem. Their next important move takes a page directly from the Egypt unrest: calling for a major march after Friday prayers to re-energize its followers.
This made me start grinning. Why? Because La Marseillaise, the French Revolutionary anthem, later France's official anthem, used to be the song to sing when you were having a revolution. The Russian workers sang La Marseillaise as they marched in the streets during the Russian Revolution. It really made me smile to think that the Egyptian national anthem might be on its way to becoming the La Marseillaise of the 21st century. :)

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #409 on: February 19, 2011, 05:09:30 AM »

Tengukami

« Reply #410 on: February 19, 2011, 05:14:46 AM »
This made me start grinning. Why? Because La Marseillaise, the French Revolutionary anthem, later France's official anthem, used to be the song to sing when you were having a revolution. The Russian workers sang La Marseillaise as they marched in the streets during the Russian Revolution. It really made me smile to think that the Egyptian national anthem might be on its way to becoming the La Marseillaise of the 21st century. :)

... god, you're amazing.

Edible

« Reply #411 on: February 19, 2011, 05:20:17 AM »
psh someone just wants an egyptian version of rose of versailles

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #412 on: February 20, 2011, 08:13:34 AM »
This is probably of limited interest to most people, but the 7th Circuit just recently held that gardens, and by extension any concept art that does not take a 'fixed' form, is not copyrightable.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #413 on: February 21, 2011, 05:48:20 PM »
Shit's getting more serious with the Middle East protests. Libya in particular is slipping more and more into a frenzied state, and while the country's leader is gradually losing his power, I'd call this transition less than ideal considering the unneeded violence that's going on. BBC this time as that's the first article I saw today about it, but Al-Jazeera has it too.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #414 on: February 21, 2011, 07:11:42 PM »
12:26 p.m. ET - Ibrahim Dabbashi, Libya's deputy ambassador to the United Nations, told reporters that Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi has declared war on the Libyan people and is committing genocide.

Yeah it's basically complete chaos now in Libya.

e: don't click this if you have a weak heart http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/fpl51/gaddafi_burns_his_soldiers_in_their_barracks_for/
Gadhafi torched the barracks of soldiers who refused to open fire on protestors, burning them alive.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:15:22 PM by ♪ TheStupidOne ♫ »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Tengukami

« Reply #415 on: February 21, 2011, 07:18:05 PM »
Khaddafi was America's Number One Enemy when I was in middle school. By the time I graduated, he was an ally. By the time 9/11 happened, he was a friend. And now he's come full circle. GJ, Khaddafi!

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #416 on: February 21, 2011, 07:19:56 PM »
Granted he seemed to be sort of "improving", he gave up his nuclear program and seemed to be cooperative with anti-terrorism efforts and in exchange we loosened embargos and sanctions.  But now it's obvious the people don't want him and he's going to fight to the bitter end to keep his tinpot dictatorship going.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #417 on: February 21, 2011, 07:27:56 PM »
More Libya news.  http://af.reuters.com/article/libyaNews/idAFLDE71K23020110221
A couple of Libyan Air Force colonels are ordered to fire on protestors in their fighter jets, instead defect to Malta.  All signs point to the military wanting nothing to do with the massacre which is, frankly, great news.

Huckebein

« Reply #418 on: February 21, 2011, 07:45:39 PM »
More Libya news.  http://af.reuters.com/article/libyaNews/idAFLDE71K23020110221
A couple of Libyan Air Force colonels are ordered to fire on protestors in their fighter jets, instead defect to Malta.  All signs point to the military wanting nothing to do with the massacre which is, frankly, great news.
Honestly my first thought was "Who has their colonels flying around?  They should be at their desks."   :V

Really though, having two colonels defect is a good thing, and hopefully more members of Libya's military follow their lead.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #419 on: February 21, 2011, 07:48:42 PM »
For once militars aren't willing to listen to the head of government. This is actualy amazing, since it doesn't happen a lot (If it ever happens). Shows you how people have started to learn to follow their own judgement instead of blindly following orders.