Author Topic: Touhou 13 theories/rumors  (Read 88587 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Touhou 13 theories/rumors
« Reply #390 on: January 31, 2011, 03:51:13 PM »
Or maybe if a bunch of flowers started growing everywhere, and it freaked people out.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #391 on: January 31, 2011, 04:57:10 PM »
Yeah actually, I want to see Hatate. She doesn't necessarily have to be instant almost main characterdom like Aya, but it'd be a shame to have her left as a "after you beat the game in the least popular game int he Touhou series" and that's it.

Calm down, Hatate will most likely get into the next fighter. Why? Because all of the playable characters from the shooters has an fighting counterpart. Except for nitori on SA. (but she was intended to debut in Hisoutensoku, but was scrapped due to the lack of time).

Now, what I really want to see is momiji. I don't want her to be forever only "aya's shadow" It's like luigi that only gets secondary roles while mario gets most of the spotlight.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #392 on: January 31, 2011, 05:24:50 PM »
Ok, let me try to put it in a way that will hopefully make you guys understand.

PoFV Had 16 playable characters total. Which is more than 15. Each one with a different shoot type, and a different story dialogue. And all of them were made by a single man; Zun.

So, I don't see why bitching up so much about something that can easily be countered. It'd be time consuming, yes. But not impossible to make.

But seriously now, the Phantasmagorias are competitive games. Fighters in a sense. They have short and stories for each character so both the developer and the player won't need to put too much time in it and get it over with, so they can continue on the more important things. In a competitive game like Phantasmagoria the arcade mode it isn't about the story, but about training for competitive gaming online. Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, the original Twinkle Star Sprites, many racing games and many more competitive kinds of games have limited dialogue and stories. SSB has zero dialogue and didn't even have a story until the latest installment, because it's all about the multiplayer. In the regular Touhou games a story needs to be told, and you're facing off against unique bosses which you can't use as practice for competitive play (since there is no multiplayer to begin with).
The main games are a lot more complex than the phantasmagorias. As such, it'd be a bore and a chore for both the developer and the gamer to make 15-30 characters for it with each their own story. Imagine having to play Super Mario, Kirby, Metroid, Donkey Kong or any similar game 15 times with only slightly different characters to get the whole story and/or achieve 100% completion. You'll die a lot, you have different difficulty levels, multiple endings, bonus stages and much more things that will force you to replay the game over and over just to get the complete story/100% completion. Doesn't sound very fun, does it? Yet the game will compell you to beat it all anyway, due to curiosity. In the end you wouldn't be playing the game for fun but just to reach the end of the while mess. You wouldn't enjoy it anymore by the time you replay the game for the umpteenth time with only slight changes.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #393 on: January 31, 2011, 05:56:15 PM »
But seriously now, the Phantasmagorias are competitive games. Fighters in a sense. They have short and stories for each character so both the developer and the player won't need to put too much time in it and get it over with, so they can continue on the more important things. In a competitive game like Phantasmagoria the arcade mode it isn't about the story, but about training for competitive gaming online. Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, the original Twinkle Star Sprites, many racing games and many more competitive kinds of games have limited dialogue and stories. SSB has zero dialogue and didn't even have a story until the latest installment, because it's all about the multiplayer. In the regular Touhou games a story needs to be told, and you're facing off against unique bosses which you can't use as practice for competitive play (since there is no multiplayer to begin with).
The main games are a lot more complex than the phantasmagorias. As such, it'd be a bore and a chore for both the developer and the gamer to make 15-30 characters for it with each their own story. Imagine having to play Super Mario, Kirby, Metroid, Donkey Kong or any similar game 15 times with only slightly different characters to get the whole story and/or achieve 100% completion. You'll die a lot, you have different difficulty levels, multiple endings, bonus stages and much more things that will force you to replay the game over and over just to get the complete story/100% completion. Doesn't sound very fun, does it? Yet the game will compell you to beat it all anyway, due to curiosity. In the end you wouldn't be playing the game for fun but just to reach the end of the while mess. You wouldn't enjoy it anymore by the time you replay the game for the umpteenth time with only slight changes.

So, what if it has 15 endings? Chrono trigger has 12 Endings and it was an huge RPG. Not a shooter that can be beaten in a short while. What about those visual novels with a multitude of different endings?

Besides, it's not an obligation for you to get all the endings, unless if you're really curious or feel forced to do it. Just choose a character, get to end and beat extra mode with that character.

And I don't consider PoFV to be any less complex than the regular shooters. It's a solid installment on the series, not something like StB or Fairy Wars.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Tengukami

« Reply #394 on: January 31, 2011, 06:29:29 PM »
It's a solid installment on the series, not something like StB or Fairy Wars.

Whoa whoa whoa. Let's all keep level heads here now, no need to start buckin'.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #395 on: January 31, 2011, 06:35:21 PM »
The only incident I can think of that would get that much of Gensokyo's population involved is if someone tried to introduce prohibition of alcohol.
Marisa as Al Capone will finally reach fruition.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

OkashiiKisei

« Reply #396 on: January 31, 2011, 06:52:40 PM »
So, what if it has 15 endings? Chrono trigger has 12 Endings and it was an huge RPG. Not a shooter that can be beaten in a short while. What about those visual novels with a multitude of different endings?

Besides, it's not an obligation for you to get all the endings, unless if you're really curious or feel forced to do it. Just choose a character, get to end and beat extra mode with that character.

And I don't consider PoFV to be any less complex than the regular shooters. It's a solid installment on the series, not something like StB or Fairy Wars.

Chrono Trigger had a new game +, allowing you to keep your levels and godly equipment in your next play-through. That way you'd be able to reach the next ending very easily. That isn't the case with Touhou Project.

Yes, I don't need to beat the game with every character, but the majority of people will be like me then. Pick only one character and stick with it. In the end, what would have been the point in putting all those characters if people only use one or two? It would seem to be a waste of time for ZUN then.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #397 on: January 31, 2011, 07:05:45 PM »

Yes, I don't need to beat the game with every character, but the majority of people will be like me then. Pick only one character and stick with it. In the end, what would have been the point in putting all those characters if people only use one or two? It would seem to be a waste of time for ZUN then.

The point of putting many characters, is to give them another opportunity to show more of themselves.

But if it's such a terrible thing, don't complain when old characters don't return.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #398 on: January 31, 2011, 07:48:21 PM »
The point of putting many characters, is to give them another opportunity to show more of themselves.

But if it's such a terrible thing, don't complain when old characters don't return.
Please tell me you're not implying that, because a TH game doesn't have a hugeass roster, that it doesn't give room for old character to pop in as playables or 'show more of themselves'. Because if it is, I swear to Shinki I will laugh until I piss my pants. Yes, in a way you do have to plan on what characters you want in said roster but, that is also where you decide "Hmm, should [old character] return or should I introduce [new character]?" After that, you map things out from there in terms of plot and 'giving more depth' to the characters present.

Yeah, you can do this with a huge roster but, you can also do it with a normal one, as well. The way you said it made it seem like characters can't be given depth unless there are like 15 of them present in-game.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:57:19 PM by Tere Ingrabus »
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

OkashiiKisei

« Reply #399 on: January 31, 2011, 08:14:28 PM »

I actually don't mind that old characters don't reappear. The fandom already gives them enough screentime. One of the main things I like about each new game is the introduction of new characters, with new abilities, new races, new personalities, new quirks, new danmaku and new designs. I am curious as to what new beings ZUN can create and introduce in the world of Touhou Project, and make them fit in. Part of the fun in speculating in a new game is what mythological creatures ZUN will be using this time, and what kind of funny/interesting twist he manages to give them. Each Touhou character has some clever symbolism in their design (prime example: Kogasa), so it's fun to see what ZUN's mind manages to come up with this time.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #400 on: January 31, 2011, 08:48:42 PM »
OKASHII PLEASE USE THE ENTER KEY MORE
just sayin

Wrong.
In the end, what would have been the point in putting all those characters if people only use one or two? It would seem to be a waste of time for ZUN then.
What the hell, thousands of people play Touhou, not just one or two. Even if it's assumed that everyone picks just one or two to play with, the point of having more playable characters is to allow for more options for people to make that choice, making the game more suitable to different people with different tastes.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Tengukami

« Reply #401 on: January 31, 2011, 09:01:29 PM »
In related news, ZUN was spotted at a noodle stand in Yokohama earlier today. Alert fans approached the game designer, asking him many questions about Touhou 13. After stalling and avoiding the question, he finally relented, and revealed that the storyline of Touhou 13 will be r

« Reply #402 on: January 31, 2011, 09:17:35 PM »
In related news, ZUN was spotted at a noodle stand in Yokohama earlier today. Alert fans approached the game designer, asking him many questions about Touhou 13. After stalling and avoiding the question, he finally relented, and revealed that the storyline of Touhou 13 will be [REDACTED]

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #403 on: January 31, 2011, 09:40:23 PM »
Calm down, Hatate will most likely get into the next fighter. Why? Because all of the playable characters from the shooters has an fighting counterpart. Except for nitori on SA. (but she was intended to debut in Hisoutensoku, but was scrapped due to the lack of time).

Now, what I really want to see is momiji. I don't want her to be forever only "aya's shadow" It's like luigi that only gets secondary roles while mario gets most of the spotlight.

Hurr? I wasn't aware that I had an irritated tone there *scratches head*.

I don't play the fighters anyway though >='(

Tengukami

« Reply #404 on: January 31, 2011, 09:41:59 PM »
Hurr? I wasn't aware that I had an irritated tone there *scratches head*.

You didn't. It's just a cheap rhetorical trick to tell someone on the internet who isn't at all upset to "calm down", because by saying it, you make yourself look like the calm, rational one in the discussion and the other person is the one being unreasonable.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #405 on: February 01, 2011, 04:04:41 PM »
I actually don't mind that old characters don't reappear. The fandom already gives them enough screentime. One of the main things I like about each new game is the introduction of new characters, with new abilities, new races, new personalities, new quirks, new danmaku and new designs. I am curious as to what new beings ZUN can create and introduce in the world of Touhou Project, and make them fit in. Part of the fun in speculating in a new game is what mythological creatures ZUN will be using this time, and what kind of funny/interesting twist he manages to give them. Each Touhou character has some clever symbolism in their design (prime example: Kogasa), so it's fun to see what ZUN's mind manages to come up with this time.

That's because the major part of touhou's success is attributed to the characters.

What the hell, thousands of people play Touhou, not just one or two. Even if it's assumed that everyone picks just one or two to play with, the point of having more playable characters is to allow for more options for people to make that choice, making the game more suitable to different people with different tastes.

Ooooo... finally someone that isn't whining about a huge cast.

You didn't. It's just a cheap rhetorical trick to tell someone on the internet who isn't at all upset to "calm down", because by saying it, you make yourself look like the calm, rational one in the discussion and the other person is the one being unreasonable.

So, am I using "cheap rhetorical tricks" now? I didn't put that much meaning behind that. I wasn't implying that he was mad or unreasonable, just for him to relax because hatate might have a promising future, is all.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Tengukami

Touhou 13
« Reply #406 on: February 01, 2011, 05:43:11 PM »
Telling someone who isn't upset to calm down gives that impression. Now you know.

« Reply #407 on: February 01, 2011, 05:59:55 PM »
In a competitive game like Phantasmagoria the arcade mode it isn't about the story, but about training for competitive gaming online.

I must be really weird, then, because I played PoFV's story mode with every character because I was interested in the slight differences in each story. I wanted to see how the characters would interact with each other and what would happen when they met Shikieiki at the end. I never play vs PoFV, and yet I've played it several times beyond once per character.

Also this. If we have another normal shmup for the next Touhou game, I'd be perfectly fine if we had 4 playable characters with 3 shot types, dialogue sets, and endings each. It would just be more character development, in my opinion, and I'm all for that.

Each Touhou character has some clever symbolism in their design (prime example: Utsuho)

Fix'd.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #408 on: February 01, 2011, 06:07:41 PM »
Also this. If we have another normal shmup for the next Touhou game, I'd be perfectly fine if we had 4 playable characters with 3 shot types, dialogue sets, and endings each. It would just be more character development, in my opinion, and I'm all for that.

3 is too much, that's good when there are like... 2 playable characters only. But with 4 chars, just 2 shoot types is enough.

Telling someone who isn't upset to calm down gives that impression. Now you know.

Learn something new everyday, uh?

Sweetness and love~ ♥

« Reply #409 on: February 01, 2011, 06:12:14 PM »
I've played it several times beyond once per character.
See,

I never play vs PoFV

That's the problem.

« Reply #410 on: February 01, 2011, 06:13:33 PM »
3 is too much, that's good when there are like... 2 playable characters only. But with 4 chars, just 2 shoot types is enough.

I was giving an example. I doubt ZUN would actually give three shot types to four PCs.

See,

That's the problem.

The problem with...what, exactly?
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

« Reply #411 on: February 01, 2011, 08:20:46 PM »
Can you honestly say with a straight face that Reimu is balanced?

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #412 on: February 01, 2011, 10:14:02 PM »
Can you honestly say with a straight face that Reimu is balanced?

pfffffftmmmnnhahahahahahano

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #413 on: February 02, 2011, 05:23:54 AM »

In that case why not just wish for Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red volume 2?
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #414 on: February 02, 2011, 06:32:44 PM »
In that case why not just wish for Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red volume 2?

Yeah, that would work better.

Also, PMiSS needs an update... badly. I'd like if we get it along with the possible th13 this reitaisai.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #415 on: February 02, 2011, 06:48:18 PM »
BAiJR is more outdated, so another one of those seems more likely to me...plus it could be by Hatate instead of Aya

jaxter0987

• Umiiro Shoujo ni Miserarete
  • Umi is love, Umi is life
« Reply #416 on: February 03, 2011, 06:56:33 AM »
I was giving an example. I doubt ZUN would actually give three shot types to four PCs.

See,

That's the problem.

The problem with...what, exactly?

I think he was refering to people not playing VS PoFV to be the problem and "see" was "Look at that!! Someone does multiple runs with the same character!!"

Mr. Blue

• Blue Heart of Gloom
« Reply #417 on: February 28, 2011, 02:15:55 AM »
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Ten_Desires

東方神霊廟 (Touhou Shinreibyou) ~ Ten Desires  :o

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #418 on: February 28, 2011, 02:49:21 AM »
All this means is that we must start theorizing about the bosses. And touhou 14.

THEORIZING LIKE MAD I SAY

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #419 on: February 28, 2011, 02:53:28 AM »
STAGE 1 MIDBOSS: Kogasa Tatara
STAGE 1 BOSS: Kogasa Tatara
STAGE 2 MIDBOSS: Kogasa Tatara
STAGE 2 BOSS: Kogasa Tatara
STAGE 3 MIDBOSS: Kogasa Tatara
STAGE 3 BOSS: Kogasa Tatara