Author Topic: This is the 9th thread dedicated to the recording of failures at playing Touhou.  (Read 150892 times)

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
Tried a Hard 1cc at IN and failed.
YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T CONTINUE ON STAGE 6!?
Also, how is getting to stage 6 only 60% progress? ???
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
oh yeah, Jaimers get to it

Last time I checked it was impossible.
Like literally.  :V

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Yeaaaah. I know Jaimers is amazing and all, but there are some things that are outside of the ability of human reflexes and dexterity. Heck, even WITH slowdown nobody can seem to dodge it for long.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!

You can't continue on FinalB. You can't access FinalB if you continue anytime before finishing Reisen...

It also sucks that you have to pull off a 1cc to unlock FinalB for stage practice.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
You can't continue on FinalB. You can't access FinalB if you continue anytime before finishing Reisen...

It also sucks that you have to pull off a 1cc to unlock FinalB for stage practice.
Ok, well that's just stupid. I can't believe ZUN did that. I guess I'll just fight Eirin instead (though it's against my better judgement) and fight Kaguya when I get better.
TF2 Backpack

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
Do-or-die miss on Yuyuko's time-out spellcard.

My first time playing single-player PoFV in about 6 months didn't go well. Didn't go well at all.

Now for the one I'm real ticked about. Touhouvania 2 on hard mode, final boss time. Jee-zus on a pogo stick, how annoying. In the first fight, I always have to tank a hit in order to make sure that annoying little bitch doesn't get ahold of me. The second fight is easy enough, but the third is insane. Two hundred bullets everywhere all day all the time. The only thing that I've found that works is to just spam Flan at the start of the fight to knock out everything that gets in the way, then spam Meiling for the rest. I've gotten her down to one hit and died to the first laser attack, considering that it can be so tough to dodge. Every other boss has a trick to beating them that's oh-so exploitable, but this one is just Flan spam.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Jaimers

Now for the one I'm real ticked about. Touhouvania 2 on hard mode, final boss time. Jee-zus on a pogo stick, how annoying. In the first fight, I always have to tank a hit in order to make sure that annoying little bitch doesn't get ahold of me. The second fight is easy enough, but the third is insane. Two hundred bullets everywhere all day all the time. The only thing that I've found that works is to just spam Flan at the start of the fight to knock out everything that gets in the way, then spam Meiling for the rest. I've gotten her down to one hit and died to the first laser attack, considering that it can be so tough to dodge. Every other boss has a trick to beating them that's oh-so exploitable, but this one is just Flan spam.

Everything in that fight is static though. Memorize the safespots, win game.

The completion percentages are pretty skewed. For example, if you die on Flandre's last card in EoSD Extra, you've apparently only completed 80% of the stage :V

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
The completion percentages are pretty skewed. For example, if you die on Flandre's last card in EoSD Extra, you've apparently only completed 80% of the stage :V
ZUN is a great programmer... *cough cough*
Well whatever. I decided to go with Eirin instead today and continue and stuff to get stage practice.
Since the fifth last word requires you to cap Apollo 13 Hard, I decided to try that. Now I know what donut feels like. (and yes, to what you said earlier, that safespot is indeed harder to get, including the first wave)
TF2 Backpack

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
Everything in that fight is static though. Memorize the safespots, win game.
I gues it's simple on paper, but moving out of safespots to attack causes problems. There's plenty of flak flying around and tying together a large string of successful dodges is rough for me. I beat it anyway with Flanspam.

Anyway, this time I lost it on Suwako's last spell card. 2 lives left with full power and my eyes started to tire. And I would've crushed my old high score if I had made it, too. Plenty of spell cards captured, plus I got her third to last one for the first time.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Jaimers

Well, apparently Hypercam2 desyncs every single time now.

I have no goddamn clue as to why it started doing this all of a sudden. I've never had this issue before and I really didn't change anything recently that could be related to it.
This makes me really sad.  :(

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
Well, apparently Hypercam2 desyncs every single time now.

I have no goddamn clue as to why it started doing this all of a sudden. I've never had this issue before and I really didn't change anything recently that could be related to it.
This makes me really sad.  :(
Ok, this has worked for me in the past with Hypercam 2. When your video is processed in MeGUI, in the audio portion, set delay to 30 (ms). That synced it up for me in the past, but you may have to change that number a little. Hope that helps!

EDIT: I'm surprised you only had it start doing that recently. Hypercam 2 has always done that for me. This is why the newest version of Hypercam 3 is amazing. Works wonderfully for me. (except the not detecting the sound card thing)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:21:19 PM by Agent of the BSoD »
TF2 Backpack

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
You too Jaimers? I was trying to record my efforts to perfect the 'getsus, but stopped when I noticed the playback desynched. Though, this may have something to do with savestate abusing entailing exitting and restarting the application after every failure.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

I've had audio desyncs in the past, and I find the easiest solution is to just drop the quality a notch.  I'm sitting at about 80% compression, and it's working fine for me, whereas if I set it to 100, desyncs become much more frequent.  I've also noticed correlations with which games you're recording (PC98s being more likely to desync, probably related to CPU usage or something) and how long you've been recording.  I'd recommend restarting the recording every 15 minutes, or around the start of stage 5 for most games.  May or may not solve your problems, but it's worked for me for the most part so you could give it a shot I guess.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
Maybe changing that percent might help me, because I've got mine set to 100%. The other annoying thing is with hypercam (either version), every few frames it records, it has one frame it skips, so it looks like the previous one. The times at which this happens is random though, and I can't compare it to anything it's recorded, it's just the way it is.
TF2 Backpack

every few frames it records, it has one frame it skips
Right right, not quite related, but it reminded me of something.  I keep my recording FPS set to 10 with a keyframe at every 100.  Not exactly sure how important the keyframe thing is, but I think it's safe to assume that a lower FPS should generally work better.  You could probably get away with more, but 10 works fine for me so I just stick with it.  I suppose it's something to keep in mind in anyway.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
Yeah, I've got mine to record 30fps (keyframe at 100) since that's pretty good for PC98. My recording devices are pretty lame at recording anyway, I'm guessing that's because of my graphics card not being able to keep up. It's not my processor, since it's awesome. I'll just keep experimenting until I get it to work.
TF2 Backpack

Failed a PCB Lunatic 1cc at 80% Reflowering.

I was three Point Items away from the 1200 Extend.

:colonveeplusalpha:

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
So, I tried PCB lunatic 5cc again.
In retrospect, getting to 80% Reflowering was awesome, because I can't do it again.

Youkai of Tea

• Faith and Tea.
  • And TeaFairies.
I tried to do an EoSD normal no bomb run and managed to die twice to Cirno, once to Sakuya and then lost every single life to Remilia in around 30 seconds because i got nervous after my first stupid death. I'm sad because in my very first successful 1cc run i managed to clear most of her spellcards and only had 2 lives.  :(

Zetzumarshen

Alt-tab, reduce foobar's sound, failing to Kaguya's 4th Last Spell.
http://imgur.com/eRQKj

Was trying to unlock extra for ReimuA in UFO, made it to Byakuren with 1 life, died on her first card.  Tried again, went from 6 to 3 lives between the start and the end of Murasa, rage alt-f4'd sometime during her last card.

So I figured the reason I couldn't consistently 1cc PCB Lunatic was because I'm good at the bosses (MarisaA yeahhhhh) but die/bomb a lot during the stages (MarisaA noooooo). So, I decided to do some stage grinding.

I proceeded to perfect the stage portion of Stage 5 and then get absolutely destroyed by Youmu. :V

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
I failed another SA normal 1cc with reimuA again. I cannot seem to ever 1cc that game on normal. Same with UFO.
I was doing good for a while though and Utsuho just killed me everywhere.
I hate this game SO MUCH! It just makes me want to remove it from my computer and never have to touch it again. >:(

EDIT: Oh yeah. Why can't I continue where I left off? You mean I have to restart the entire stage ALL OVER AGAIN?! That's hardly fair. I liked it better when it was EoSD / PCB / IN style.

EDIT: Sorry for all of the unnecessary rage posted above. :ohdear:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 03:21:07 AM by Agent of the BSoD »
TF2 Backpack

I failed another SA normal 1cc with reimuA again. I cannot seem to ever 1cc that game on normal. Same with UFO.
I was doing good for a while though and Utsuho just killed me everywhere.
I hate this game SO MUCH! It just makes me want to remove it from my computer and never have to touch it again. >:(
Any specific parts you have trouble on?  I find SA is very easy once you're used to it, at least on Normal.  UFO is a different story, I've only managed to clear it once, which I'm going to have to blame mostly on the UFO system and partly on me just being bad at Shou/Byakuren.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
I've got trouble with Orin and her fairy attacks, the ones that follow you. I know you can redirect them to somewhere else and then shoot the boss but when I redirect them, Orin's bullets somehow kill me.

And what's really hard is Utsuho altogether. I seriously don't know how to fare with her. It's pretty much just her spells. The first one last way too long, the second one seems like luck that it doesn't wall you, the third is hard when I die from the suns for no reason (I know the trick to stay in one spot) and the fourth I've only reached twice and it seems much harder than it is. It starts throwing out the bullets immediately unlike lunatic where they sit there for a while so you can get more damage on the boss. I can't say anything about her last though, as I've never reached it on normal.

Also, do you have to beat the stage to unlock it in practice? I ask this because I have SA minimized and I'm continuing like crazy hoping to beat it with as little lives as I have.
TF2 Backpack

Udongein

I got Q.E.D.'d.

Only this time I actually almost captured it.
Oh, and I game overed, too.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
I got Q.E.D.'d.

Only this time I actually almost captured it.
Oh, and I game overed, too.
Yeah, Flandre is pretty difficult. I barely beat her when I did: I had nothing left at the end.
TF2 Backpack

I've got trouble with Orin and her fairy attacks, the ones that follow you. I know you can redirect them to somewhere else and then shoot the boss but when I redirect them, Orin's bullets somehow kill me.

And what's really hard is Utsuho altogether. I seriously don't know how to fare with her. It's pretty much just her spells. The first one last way too long, the second one seems like luck that it doesn't wall you, the third is hard when I die from the suns for no reason (I know the trick to stay in one spot) and the fourth I've only reached twice and it seems much harder than it is. It starts throwing out the bullets immediately unlike lunatic where they sit there for a while so you can get more damage on the boss. I can't say anything about her last though, as I've never reached it on normal.

Also, do you have to beat the stage to unlock it in practice? I ask this because I have SA minimized and I'm continuing like crazy hoping to beat it with as little lives as I have.

Orin... I only really have trouble with her last card now, since the timing is a bit iffy on it (redirect and get back to the bottom before you see red bubbles).  The first fairy one you can just start at the top, follow her bullets in a circle, and dart back to the bottom.  You shouldn't have to repeat it again since the pellets will spread out enough to dodge easily... Especially with ReimuA, she's a powerhouse.

Orin's first is tough only because of the circumference of the nukes... Strategy is the same as Orin's wheels (aimed nukes, dodge blue bullets), just with bigger bullets.  With the second, just stay to the bottom almost exclusively, watch mostly for the blue bullets behind the nukes, and watch a bit for the nuke positions... If you think you're gonna get walled, get to a different position if possible.  You shouldn't need more than 1-2 bombs on this.  I assume this is the trick you're referring to with the third?  If so, that's pretty much the easiest way to do it, so stick to it.  Fourth?  Good luck bro, hardest card in the game I'd say.  Try to keep under Okuu as much as possible, move between the bullets, bomb when the pressure gets to be too much.  Play it safe, but it runs for a while, so you will likely burn a life and a good few bombs.  Last card is suction.  Position yourself above a red bullet, watch the pellets as they come out, position yourself to be pulled between a gap in the pellets, move your way back, repeat.  Very simple card, but movement can be tricky, and like all last spells, it speeds up towards the end.

I'm sure a lot of this may have been obvious to you, but that's what I've got to say on it =p.  As to your last question, I believe you need to clear the stage without continues to unlock practice... Your best bet is to download someone's score.dat if you want stage practice.  The same goes for UFO.

Here's mine if you want it actually.  I think I only have stage 6 open for 3 shot types, but ReimuA is one of them.  Just be sure to back up your own score.dat first.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:09:24 AM by chirpy13 »