Author Topic: Maribel Quest Continuation: A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 73503 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Maribel Quest Continuation: A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #390 on: August 26, 2010, 08:52:01 PM »
> Look at Renko. Get a read of her facial expression.

>She's definitely nervous, her lips pressed into a thin line. She gives you a slight nod.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #391 on: August 26, 2010, 09:02:51 PM »
> Give Renko a slight nod of our own, then turn back to Alice.
> "Yes, I believe so, and I imagine Renko would still be most grateful for your participation, if simply beating the mansion in battle and receiving an apology for past wrongs would satisfy you."
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #392 on: August 26, 2010, 09:20:09 PM »
> Give Renko a slight nod of our own, then turn back to Alice.
> "Yes, I believe so, and I imagine Renko would still be most grateful for your participation, if simply beating the mansion in battle and receiving an apology for past wrongs would satisfy you."

>She considers you both for a moment. Then she begins to laugh.
>"Oh my!" she says. "By yourself? That promises to be most entertaining! No no, I'm sorry Miss Maribel, but I have no interest if there's nothing profitable in the endeavor. By all means, though, have at it!"
>Alice chuckles again. "It shall more than cover things, I assure you."

>_
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:25:47 PM by Zombie Purvis »

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #393 on: August 26, 2010, 09:28:16 PM »
> Uh
> "Uh..."
> Look at Renko. Make sure we look confused.
> Because we are.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #394 on: August 26, 2010, 09:33:26 PM »
> Uh
> "Uh..."
> Look at Renko. Make sure we look confused.
> Because we are.

>You voice your confusion, then glance to Renko.
>Renko does not look confused. Her brow is slightly furrowed, and her eyes suddenly hard, as is the frown in her lips.

>_

« Reply #395 on: August 26, 2010, 09:37:01 PM »
>"I don't understand. What more than covers things?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #396 on: August 26, 2010, 09:40:54 PM »
>"I don't understand. What more than covers things?"

>"If you really are a big enough fool to try to take Scarlet Devil Mansion alone," Alice says, giving you a mild look of admonishment, "then you've resolved to do more to yourselves than I would bother doing on my own. I shall leave you to it."

>_

« Reply #397 on: August 26, 2010, 09:45:15 PM »
>"If Renko's forces are so paltry, and you believe your presence alone more than sufficient to turn certain defeat into certain victory, why, may I ask, have you never tried something like this before?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #398 on: August 26, 2010, 09:55:39 PM »
>"If Renko's forces are so paltry, and you believe your presence alone more than sufficient to turn certain defeat into certain victory, why, may I ask, have you never tried something like this before?"

>"Does one build a stool with only two legs?" Alice asks. "If you need to ask me this, then it's really just indicative of your own chances."

>_

« Reply #399 on: August 26, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »
>"And do you care nothing for this, or her, outside your own monetary gain?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #400 on: August 26, 2010, 10:08:30 PM »
>"And do you care nothing for this, or her, outside your own monetary gain?"

>"I find it particularly hard to care about someone who repays my efforts to help them by going back on their word," says Alice. "And now that we have that issue resolved, let us return to the one where you were trying to disprove that you were going to attempt to blackmail me?"

>_

« Reply #401 on: August 26, 2010, 10:12:40 PM »
>Sigh
>"I was trying to reassure you that no one else knew, as strange as that might sound to you. If I had honestly wanted you to come to harm over this, don't you think it would have been much more sensible to simply tell the appropriate parties and then not come to speak with you alone? What could I possibly have to gain by doing so? If my ultimate goal was to simply avert your successful invasion, I would think telling them of your involvement would do that well enough; there would be no need to tell you about it. I came here to support Renko; nothing more, nothing less."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #402 on: August 26, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »
>Sigh
>"I was trying to reassure you that no one else knew, as strange as that might sound to you. If I had honestly wanted you to come to harm over this, don't you think it would have been much more sensible to simply tell the appropriate parties and then not come to speak with you alone? What could I possibly have to gain by doing so? If my ultimate goal was to simply avert your successful invasion, I would think telling them of your involvement would do that well enough; there would be no need to tell you about it. I came here to support Renko; nothing more, nothing less."

>"These things aside, then, you wouldn't be adverse to placing some weight of evidence on your lack of ill intentions?"

>_

« Reply #403 on: August 26, 2010, 10:31:39 PM »
>"If you can think of something reasonable I could offer as proof, please do. I'd rather dispel this as convincingly as possible."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #404 on: August 26, 2010, 10:37:57 PM »
>"If you can think of something reasonable I could offer as proof, please do. I'd rather dispel this as convincingly as possible."

>"I believe I can," she says. "Please come inside."

>_

« Reply #405 on: August 26, 2010, 10:39:17 PM »
>"Frankly, I think I'd feel more comfortable at the moment if you could bring whatever you intend to show me outside."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #406 on: August 26, 2010, 10:44:23 PM »
>"Frankly, I think I'd feel more comfortable at the moment if you could bring whatever you intend to show me outside."

>"I just want you to sign an agreement," says Alice, "and there is no table out here."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #407 on: August 26, 2010, 10:45:22 PM »
> How long can we hold a border shield?

« Reply #408 on: August 26, 2010, 10:46:01 PM »
>Inventory

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #409 on: August 26, 2010, 10:55:21 PM »
> How long can we hold a border shield?

>You've never been able to hold one more than a second or two.

>Inventory

>Your Inventory Contains
>Mop Hat
>Red Robe
>White Hakama
>Branch
>Floating Stone
>Ingredient List
>Ring of Rhythm
>Striped Mushroom Potion of Enhancement
>Starlight Incantation Slip.
>Purple Messenger Bag
>Blue Silk Flower
>92☼
>Bottle of Irritated Bull Sake
>Emerald Necklace
>Star Armlet
>Purple Dress
>Wound Sign: Pain Flow Endlessly. (Captured)
>Kakashi Spirit News
>Frilly Dark Dress (Worn as Clothing)

>_

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #410 on: August 26, 2010, 10:57:29 PM »
>Glance at Renko for her thoughts.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

« Reply #411 on: August 26, 2010, 11:00:51 PM »
>"I don't need a table to just write a signature. Can I at least see what you want me to sign?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #412 on: August 26, 2010, 11:29:06 PM »
>Glance at Renko for her thoughts.

>She still seems rather upset. She doesn't notice your glance.

>"I don't need a table to just write a signature. Can I at least see what you want me to sign?"

>"I certainly need one to write on, and I would prefer I not take my eye from someone threatening me with blackmail," says Alice. "And of course you may."

>_

« Reply #413 on: August 26, 2010, 11:37:53 PM »
>"I swear absolutely that I have not knowingly informed anyone else of your involvement in this, and I swear equally that I will not try to run away just because your back is turned. But I simply don't feel comfortable to step inside your house right now, for more than one important reason. I apologize for how rude this must sound, but try to understand my own position here; we both have reason not to trust each other, and the balance of power here is decisively in your favor. Draft the document as you choose, and I will wait here for your return. I can even stand someplace where you can see me from the house, if it makes you feel better. Or you can have... whatever that construct you were working with watch me."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #414 on: August 26, 2010, 11:54:49 PM »
>"I swear absolutely that I have not knowingly informed anyone else of your involvement in this, and I swear equally that I will not try to run away just because your back is turned. But I simply don't feel comfortable to step inside your house right now, for more than one important reason. I apologize for how rude this must sound, but try to understand my own position here; we both have reason not to trust each other, and the balance of power here is decisively in your favor. Draft the document as you choose, and I will wait here for your return. I can even stand someplace where you can see me from the house, if it makes you feel better. Or you can have... whatever that construct you were working with watch me."

>There is a moment of silence as Alice gives you a cool, appraising look. You feel a little knot form in your stomach, wondering if she's just going to decide not to take her chances. Then she says. "Fine. A moment."
>She opens the door to her house and calls in, "Bring me my cutting board, some paper, a pen and ink, and my seal." Then she looks back to you. "This will only be a moment.
>After a moment, a small girl in a frilly dress flies from the house, carrying a piece of paper. Standing a little over a foot tall, you are tempted to mistake it for a faerie until you notice her lack of wings. Then you recall her clothing as you note the odd shape her hands; this is a doll. It's the same doll that you saw earlier today, only quite a bit smaller than before. Other dolls, similar in appearance but dressed differently, float out after her, bearing the others items Alice has asked for. They're...honestly quite adorable, as they flock around the magician. Well, save for that one holding the inkwell, her smile is just too creepy.
>Alice bids a few of them to hold up the cutting board; one made for cloth rather than food as you wondered. She begins to write.  One of the dolls, the former giant, hovers around you. You'd swear she was curious about you.
>"And what would you stake on this claim you are not trying to blackmail me?" asks Alice in a conversational tone, almost devoid of her prior coldness.

>_

« Reply #415 on: August 27, 2010, 12:06:07 AM »
>"This isn't one of those magical self-enforcing contracts that you can violate on a technicality, is it?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #416 on: August 27, 2010, 12:11:56 AM »
>"This isn't one of those magical self-enforcing contracts that you can violate on a technicality, is it?"

>"No, this one will be pretty clear cut, I think," says Alice. "Hmm. Eyesight should do, don't you think?"

>_

« Reply #417 on: August 27, 2010, 12:15:57 AM »
>"....don't you think that's rather extreme? Can't I simply swear on my own honor that I had no intention of doing that?"

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #418 on: August 27, 2010, 12:17:35 AM »
> Peruse the contract. Keep an eye out for loopholes in either direction.

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #419 on: August 27, 2010, 12:22:24 AM »
>"....don't you think that's rather extreme? Can't I simply swear on my own honor that I had no intention of doing that?"

>Belay this, sounds slippery.