Author Topic: Maribel Quest Continuation: A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 73469 times)

Re: Maribel Quest Continuation: A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #360 on: August 26, 2010, 07:10:08 AM »
>"I'm sorry that you feel I'm trying to incriminate you. I assure you that I came here with no intention of doing so. If you won't take my word for it, is there any way I can demonstrate my good faith?"
>"Renko changed her mind. That is all. A person should always be entitled to do this. Was your knowledge given only in exchange for this?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #361 on: August 26, 2010, 07:16:54 AM »
>"I'm sorry that you feel I'm trying to incriminate you. I assure you that I came here with no intention of doing so. If you won't take my word for it, is there any way I can demonstrate my good faith?"
>"Renko changed her mind. That is all. A person should always be entitled to do this. Was your knowledge given only in exchange for this?"

>She continues to give you a frosty look, leaving you with a crawling feeling in your stomach. Is she about to do something? After a few moments, she says. "We'll set this aside for now, and come back to it later."
>You try to explain things for Renko. "Should a person be entitled to freely go back upon their good word on a benefactor?" Alice asks, looking at you, then at Renko. "Would you agree, Renko, that I've taught you some useful things that you would not have deciphered on your own? Did you not indicate that I would "not be sorry I did this?", to borrow your own words, after we had spent time beforehand planning our little escapade."
>"Well...I guess..." says Renko, glancing to you askance.
>"Then, can we agree you are going back upon your word, after I helped you?"

>_

« Reply #362 on: August 26, 2010, 07:31:18 AM »
>Take Renko's hand
>"I agree that it's a bad thing to go back on one's word, but it's an even worse thing to plan to take another's home and possessions, no matter how appealing it might be to have them for yourself. And assistance given only in exchange for thievery is tainted. Alice, you have friends who care about you; do you think they would support this plan, either?"

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #363 on: August 26, 2010, 07:32:01 AM »
>Take Renko's hand

> And squeeze to show support
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #364 on: August 26, 2010, 07:44:30 AM »
>Take Renko's hand
>"I agree that it's a bad thing to go back on one's word, but it's an even worse thing to plan to take another's home and possessions, no matter how appealing it might be to have them for yourself. And assistance given only in exchange for thievery is tainted. Alice, you have friends who care about you; do you think they would support this plan, either?"
> And squeeze to show support

>You take Renko's hand, and give it a gentle squeeze. She squeezes back, not quite so gently.
>Alice's turns her gaze back to you. "I have weighed such things. They are neither here nor there in regards breaking an oath freely given, thank you."
>"Now, Renko," says Alice. "What are we going to do about this?"

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #365 on: August 26, 2010, 08:00:09 AM »
Going to bed. If anyone decides they would like to try something, I HIGHLY recommend you run it by at least one other person that's following the game. This is an incredibly sticky situation with little margin for error. Draco and I haven't done anything over the last hour or so that we didn't hash out with each other. Please talk things out with a fellow player before doing anything rash.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #366 on: August 26, 2010, 08:01:28 AM »
>"Don't try to intimidate her into doing what you want her to, Alice; I hardly think that's befitting of anyone who would call themselves a benefactor."
>"Renko, tell her what you truly feel about all this."
>Squeeze her hand again. Let her know we're there for her.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #367 on: August 26, 2010, 08:11:42 AM »
>"Don't try to intimidate her into doing what you want her to, Alice; I hardly think that's befitting of anyone who would call themselves a benefactor."
>"Renko, tell her what you truly feel about all this."
>Squeeze her hand again. Let her know we're there for her.

>"Says the blackmailer," Alice replies. "Somehow, I don't think you have much credibility or place in this discussion right now. Do you?"
>You Squeeze Renko's hand again. "Alice," she says. "I don't want to rob them, alright? I've thought about it, and it's just not what I want to do anymore. So I'm calling the deal off. You can go raid them on your own if you want."
>"While I am mildly curious about this dramatic turnaround in your thoughts on this," says Alice. "In the end, it's not important to me whether you refuse due to a sudden moral reluctance or because you read it in the stars. What I am curious about is what you're going to do about attempting to leave me in the lurch."
>Renko squeezes your hand again. You're pretty sure she needs your support.

>_

« Reply #368 on: August 26, 2010, 08:20:28 AM »
>"I have a place here because she's my friend and I'm going to support her! I'm sorry if you can't understand that."
>"And what is it you expect her to do? She's already made it clear she's not supporting this. You're no more in the lurch than you were a few days ago before you met her. Nothing in the external situation has changed."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #369 on: August 26, 2010, 08:32:34 AM »
>"I have a place here because she's my friend and I'm going to support her! I'm sorry if you can't understand that."
>"And what is it you expect her to do? She's already made it clear she's not supporting this. You're no more in the lurch than you were a few days ago before you met her. Nothing in the external situation has changed."

>"Interesting that your support involves casting doubt upon the wronged party," Alice says. "As for what I expect her to do? I would prefer to know what she expects to do to make up for turning her back on our agreement."
>"I...um....don't know..." Renko says.
>"Tisk," says Alice.

>_

« Reply #370 on: August 26, 2010, 08:41:05 AM »
>"Alice, a person shouldn't have to compensate someone for not violating their own conscience. Asking someone to do that is asking far too much. Please respect her right to choose her own actions."

>"But if you are insistent on being compensated for your time and anticipation somehow, perhaps I could make up for that in Renko's stead. Assuming that what you ask is reasonable."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #371 on: August 26, 2010, 08:55:36 AM »
>"Alice, a person shouldn't have to compensate someone for not violating their own conscience. Asking someone to do that is asking far too much. Please respect her right to choose her own actions."

>"But if you are insistent on being compensated for your time and anticipation somehow, perhaps I could make up for that in Renko's stead. Assuming that what you ask is reasonable."

>"I did not ask, she offered," says Alice. "Freely. And, what would you have in mind? Somehow, I doubt you're offering to take her place."

>_

« Reply #372 on: August 26, 2010, 09:00:14 AM »
>"Isn't a person allowed to regret a decision they made? Just because someone has an idea doesn't mean it should be eternally binding if they have good reason to make a different decision later on. I'm sure you've also made plans that you later decided not to enact."

>"And no, I'm not offering to take her place. I don't think it's right, and I don't wish to assist with robbing someone. Not that I could manage the fairies in the first place, truth by told... And I don't know what I have in mind, since nearly the sum-total of my knowledge of you concerns this endeavor. Hence why I asked for a suggestion."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #373 on: August 26, 2010, 09:17:49 AM »
>"Isn't a person allowed to regret a decision they made? Just because someone has an idea doesn't mean it should be eternally binding if they have good reason to make a different decision later on. I'm sure you've also made plans that you later decided not to enact."

>"And no, I'm not offering to take her place. I don't think it's right, and I don't wish to assist with robbing someone. Not that I could manage the fairies in the first place, truth by told... And I don't know what I have in mind, since nearly the sum-total of my knowledge of you concerns this endeavor. Hence why I asked for a suggestion."

>"The difference," Alice says, "is that I do not obligate myself into such things ahead of time. And, you mean to tell me, you've come here to break such an obligation, and have exactly no idea how you intend to make up for this? Is this right, Renko?"
>Renko squeezes your hand again. Is she shaking?

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #374 on: August 26, 2010, 12:40:21 PM »
I think we really may need to take the blame on this one.

EDIT: Have an idea on how to approach this. Will kick it off when I get back from work.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:14:03 PM by Yamameko no Naku Roda ni »

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #375 on: August 26, 2010, 06:52:40 PM »
> "Stop. Please."
> "Please do not blame Renko for this. She has been loyal to you throughout. She very much wanted to continue the plan when we met. I talked her out of it. Me. And she fought the whole way. Don't get mad at her. She doesn't deserve it. If you must, get mad at me."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #376 on: August 26, 2010, 07:21:50 PM »
> "Stop. Please."
> "Please do not blame Renko for this. She has been loyal to you throughout. She very much wanted to continue the plan when we met. I talked her out of it. Me. And she fought the whole way. Don't get mad at her. She doesn't deserve it. If you must, get mad at me."

>"It was apparent," says Alice. She looks back to you. "And I presume you've had no ideas since?"

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #377 on: August 26, 2010, 07:26:13 PM »
> "I actually may have some. They depend on why you want to knock over the mansion, though."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #378 on: August 26, 2010, 07:34:16 PM »
> "I actually may have some. They depend on why you want to knock over the mansion, though."

>"Go on," she says.

>_

« Reply #379 on: August 26, 2010, 07:41:42 PM »
>"What part of this plan was so important to you that you feel this invested in it, anyway? I've heard that you're not hard up for money yourself, and Renko says you never had any interest in claiming the mansion itself. So what was it? Perhaps we can work out a concession?"

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #380 on: August 26, 2010, 07:43:27 PM »
> "Also, surely you know Patchouli? You and her are both good friends of Marisa, from what I understand. What happened that you wish to assault and evict her?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #381 on: August 26, 2010, 08:00:16 PM »
>"What part of this plan was so important to you that you feel this invested in it, anyway? I've heard that you're not hard up for money yourself, and Renko says you never had any interest in claiming the mansion itself. So what was it? Perhaps we can work out a concession?"

> "Also, surely you know Patchouli? You and her are both good friends of Marisa, from what I understand. What happened that you wish to assault and evict her?"

>"My motivations are not something you need to know," says Alice. "Now, you said you had some ideas?"

« Reply #382 on: August 26, 2010, 08:06:33 PM »
>"Well, I'd say motivations are pretty important when it comes to compensation. Am I correct in assuming that you are more concerned with a particular end than the method through which it is achieved? It's hard to suggest an alternate path to achieve an end if I have no idea what it is."

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #383 on: August 26, 2010, 08:09:18 PM »
She's Nebuchudnezzering you. I'd suggest putting out solutions before she thinks that you were lying about having ideas. If they don't fit her motivations, THEN you can lead into "Then what would you like to do"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #384 on: August 26, 2010, 08:10:34 PM »
>"Well, I'd say motivations are pretty important when it comes to compensation. Am I correct in assuming that you are more concerned with a particular end than the method through which it is achieved? It's hard to suggest an alternate path to achieve an end if I have no idea what it is."

>"Perhaps Renko didn't tell you as much as it seemed," Alice says. "I am to receive half of the take from Scarlet Devil Mansion, both in money and in items. That is all you need to know. And, I presume you did know, as you claimed to have some ideas? I admit, you have me a little curious now."

>_

« Reply #385 on: August 26, 2010, 08:11:53 PM »
She's Nebuchudnezzering you. I'd suggest putting out solutions before she thinks that you were lying about having ideas. If they don't fit her motivations, THEN you can lead into "Then what would you like to do"

I'm not sure what Nebuchudnezzering is even supposed to mean in this context. And I'd be offering more ideas if I really had them to offer, sadly...

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #386 on: August 26, 2010, 08:13:59 PM »
A reference to Nebuchudnezzer asking people to interpret his dream, but refusing to tell anyone what the dream was, since if they could interpret it, they'd already know what it was.

I at least thought the context was similar.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #387 on: August 26, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »
> "It was mentioned, but at the time, I believed it to be a 'logical' extension of an attack, not the primary goal. If I was mistaken, then that complicates things on my end, as I figured you had suffered a wrong and were looking for retribution."
> "There is some backstory to where I am coming from, but I'm sure you don't care to hear it, so I will cut to the chase. As things stand, despite the hospitality they have provided me, as long as I am not forced to actively participate I actually do not have any issues with an attack on the mansion, as I understand that sort of thing is commonplace here. It is important to Renko that this be done for reasons that I support. If your main desire is to simply defeat the residents of the mansion in battle, then by all means, vaya con Dios."
> "The problem I have is with the looting afterward. Unlike simple battling, that does not seem at all commonplace here, especially as your battle system seems at least somewhat founded in honor, which looting notably lacks. I thought that perhaps a public apology from their house to all parties they have wronged in the past would be better. People of their ilk apologizing is bound to make the rest of Gensokyo sit up and take notice, which in turn gives the victor the satisfaction of knowing they dealt a particularly demoralizing blow that the rest of the land knew about, and all the while there is no honor to be lost anywhere."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #388 on: August 26, 2010, 08:40:22 PM »
> "It was mentioned, but at the time, I believed it to be a 'logical' extension of an attack, not the primary goal. If I was mistaken, then that complicates things on my end, as I figured you had suffered a wrong and were looking for retribution."
> "There is some backstory to where I am coming from, but I'm sure you don't care to hear it, so I will cut to the chase. As things stand, despite the hospitality they have provided me, as long as I am not forced to actively participate I actually do not have any issues with an attack on the mansion, as I understand that sort of thing is commonplace here. It is important to Renko that this be done for reasons that I support. If your main desire is to simply defeat the residents of the mansion in battle, then by all means, vaya con Dios."
> "The problem I have is with the looting afterward. Unlike simple battling, that does not seem at all commonplace here, especially as your battle system seems at least somewhat founded in honor, which looting notably lacks. I thought that perhaps a public apology from their house to all parties they have wronged in the past would be better. People of their ilk apologizing is bound to make the rest of Gensokyo sit up and take notice, which in turn gives the victor the satisfaction of knowing they dealt a particularly demoralizing blow that the rest of the land knew about, and all the while there is no honor to be lost anywhere."

>"So, as I understand, you'll be doing it anyways?" Alice asks.
>Renko squeezes your hand again.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #389 on: August 26, 2010, 08:48:16 PM »
> Look at Renko. Get a read of her facial expression.