Author Topic: Maribel Quest - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 80118 times)

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
Re: Maribel Quest - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #330 on: August 01, 2010, 04:46:41 AM »
>glance at the abyss
>"Do I want to know what's down there?"
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #331 on: August 01, 2010, 04:47:35 AM »
>Uhoh.
>"Do you think they'll get really hurt by that?"
>"About how safe would it be to go and talk to Yamame? Apparently I'll be safe enough in the city, but I'm not sure how wise it would be to wander further."

>Yeah, that doesn't sound good.
>"I...hope not."
>"Well, Yamame's pretty weird. She's not bad, usually, just weird. Just behave and you'll probably be fine."

>"As far as she's concerned? What about Utsuho, then?"

>"Utsuho...I don't think her heart's in the it nearly so much. She's kind of had her fill of it the past few days. Not that she's insincere, just...you know. The thing is, that's just how Yuugi is. Utsuho's made herself an obstacle, and now she has to be smashed."

>glance at the abyss
>"Do I want to know what's down there?"

>It's pretty dark down there.
>"There's a river."

>_

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #332 on: August 01, 2010, 04:51:26 AM »
>"Is there... healing magic? I don't know what to think about their battle, but if Utsuho's lastingly hurt, I'm going to be in trouble."
>"Is there anyone else along the way to meeting Yamame that I should know about? Or anything?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #333 on: August 01, 2010, 04:57:23 AM »
>"Is there... healing magic? I don't know what to think about their battle, but if Utsuho's lastingly hurt, I'm going to be in trouble."
>"Is there anyone else along the way to meeting Yamame that I should know about? Or anything?"

>"Kinda," says Parsee. "Someone topside makes medicines like that. And there's some tricks for certain things that various people know."
>"Oh, right. There's Kisume. She's weak, but sneaky. She mugs people. Watch the ceiling for a bucket."

>_

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #334 on: August 01, 2010, 04:58:45 AM »
>"A... bucket."

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #335 on: August 01, 2010, 07:13:53 AM »
> "Why does she mug people?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #336 on: August 01, 2010, 01:02:33 PM »
>"A... bucket."

>"Yep."

> "Why does she mug people?"

>"I dunno," says Parsee. "Maybe she thinks its fun?"

>_

« Reply #337 on: August 01, 2010, 01:43:59 PM »
>"Just a plain old non-magical bucket? No blasts of energy or other super powers I need to be aware of?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #338 on: August 01, 2010, 01:51:02 PM »
>"Just a plain old non-magical bucket? No blasts of energy or other super powers I need to be aware of?"

>"Oh, she can summon demon fires," says Parsee, "But the way I hear it, even a child can get around those. So if you get her to that point, you've probably already won."

>_

« Reply #339 on: August 01, 2010, 01:56:04 PM »
>"Demon fires?"
>Gulp
>"I don't think I would have ever expected anyone to talk about demon anything so nonchalantly..."
>"Man, talk about being a fish out of water..."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #340 on: August 01, 2010, 02:04:18 PM »
>"Demon fires?"
>Gulp
>"I don't think I would have ever expected anyone to talk about demon anything so nonchalantly..."
>"Man, talk about being a fish out of water..."

>That really sounds much worse than Parsee makes it sound... Much worse.
>"You'll get used to it."

>_

« Reply #341 on: August 01, 2010, 02:06:28 PM »
>"Well, I'll try. I'll probably have to, at any rate."
>"But you honestly think I'm relatively safe going in that direction? At least whatever passes for safe down here?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #342 on: August 01, 2010, 02:08:17 PM »
>"Well, I'll try. I'll probably have to, at any rate."
>"But you honestly think I'm relatively safe going in that direction? At least whatever passes for safe down here?"

>"Well, you probably won't get kidnapped," says Parsee. "Just maybe beaten or mugged. Geez, what do you want from me?"

>_

« Reply #343 on: August 01, 2010, 02:12:37 PM »
>"Look, sorry, I'm not trying to bug you. You're just one of the very few familiar faces around here. I'm sure it's hard to really understand how unfamiliar all of this is when everything is perfectly normal to you."

>"Anyway, I'll leave you be, now. And... for what it's worth, you have my sympathies about the Utsuho and Yuugi situation. I don't need to know the details to imagine how someone might feel if two people they cared about were about to try beating each other up over it. I hope everything ends up alright."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #344 on: August 01, 2010, 02:17:48 PM »
>"Look, sorry, I'm not trying to bug you. You're just one of the very few familiar faces around here. I'm sure it's hard to really understand how unfamiliar all of this is when everything is perfectly normal to you."

>"Anyway, I'll leave you be, now. And... for what it's worth, you have my sympathies about the Utsuho and Yuugi situation. I don't need to know the details to imagine how someone might feel if two people they cared about were about to try beating each other up over it. I hope everything ends up alright."

>"Yeah, I know..." says Parsee.
>You give her some sympathy. "It wouldn't be so bad, you know" she says, "if it weren't for the fact it won't actually change anything. It's not like I can go up to whoever loses and say "I don't like you now"... Although Yuugi's probably kinda hoping for it anyways. I don't have any idea how I'm gonna handle this..."

>_

« Reply #345 on: August 01, 2010, 02:29:01 PM »
>"It does seem like kind of an oni way to go about things, from what I'm gathering... I wish I had something useful to tell you. I honestly do. Those sorts of situations are no good for anyone involved in them."

>"Thanks for the help, anyway, though. I'm going to have a little look towards the surface, I think. Hopefully I'll be back in one piece."
>Try to convince yourself that you really will be back in one piece
>Wave goodbye and cross the bridge. Keep an eye out for buckets.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #346 on: August 01, 2010, 02:56:55 PM »
>"It does seem like kind of an oni way to go about things, from what I'm gathering... I wish I had something useful to tell you. I honestly do. Those sorts of situations are no good for anyone involved in them."

>"Thanks for the help, anyway, though. I'm going to have a little look towards the surface, I think. Hopefully I'll be back in one piece."
>Try to convince yourself that you really will be back in one piece
>Wave goodbye and cross the bridge. Keep an eye out for buckets.

>"Well, at least you kinda care what I think," says Parsee. "Most people just focus on the fight and act like I'm some kinda prize."
>"Good luck, I suppose."
>You're gonna do this! It's gonna happen! It's gonna-oh god you've never even been in a cave before...
>You wave goodbye, which Parsee returns half-heartedly.
>You cross the bridge, growing more nervous with each step. It's quiet, unsettlingly so in the wake of the city's hustle and bustle. Your footsteps echo ahead of you. It's getting uncomfortably gloomy, though not quite enough to call it dark. There's a slight breeze, as well.
>As you walk into the tunnel, the walls seem to close around you; there's probably no more than fifteen feet of space, uncomfortably claustrophobic after the spacious city.  The floor is rough, and easy to trip over if you don't pay attention. Stalagmites poke up from the ground, some reaching up to connect with the stalactites above. Up ahead are a series of rocky shelves forming a kind of natural staircase, or at least it would be if you were ten feet tall. As it stands, you'll have to climb them, and some of them seem to have some sharp ridges to them. Obvious exits are north and south.

>_

« Reply #347 on: August 01, 2010, 03:01:44 PM »
>"Is anyone here?"
>Assuming no answer, continue forward cautiously, and try to climb the steps without hurting yourself. Keep an eye out for buckets

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #348 on: August 01, 2010, 03:13:36 PM »
>"Is anyone here?"
>Assuming no answer, continue forward cautiously, and try to climb the steps without hurting yourself. Keep an eye out for buckets

>No one answers your call.
>You work your way forward cautiously, doing your best not to hurt yourself. It is slow going, and you rough up your hands a little bit, and tear the hem of your dress. But those issues aside, you ascend the shelves easily enough. Looking back once you have finished, you have climbed up a significant distance, you can't see the bottom for the for the gloom any longer. Unfortunately, the gloom makes it difficult to keep a watch out for buckets, as well, as the ceiling is rather naturally shadowy, and the walls hide periodic niches that blend in well with the darkness.
>Up ahead, you can see the floor slopes upward, though somewhat unevenly. Of particular concern are a number of fissures in the ground, some about as wide as your hand, that seem easy enough to catch your ankle upon. It looks like there is a kind of path weaving between them.

>_

« Reply #349 on: August 01, 2010, 03:16:14 PM »
>Continue cautiously along the path
>If we aren't in any position to SEE a bucket, in the gloom, at least keep a close ear out for any sound of any kind that doesn't appear to be coming from us

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #350 on: August 01, 2010, 03:22:10 PM »
>Continue cautiously along the path
>If we aren't in any position to SEE a bucket, in the gloom, at least keep a close ear out for any sound of any kind that doesn't appear to be coming from us

>You pick your way through, doing your best not to catch your feet.
>You keep your ears open. The wind makes it a little hard to hear, but you think you catch the sound of...something scraping against the stone.

>_

« Reply #351 on: August 01, 2010, 03:23:24 PM »
>Scraping? Where?
>Quickly identify the location of the sound, and look in that direction

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #352 on: August 01, 2010, 03:29:09 PM »
>Scraping? Where?
>Quickly identify the location of the sound, and look in that direction

>It's hard to tell, due to echoing a bit. Is it to the left? Above? Above and to the left?

>_

« Reply #353 on: August 01, 2010, 03:30:30 PM »
>Well, try to look in the general direction of above and left, anyway
>And shift to the right
>"Hello?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #354 on: August 01, 2010, 03:36:17 PM »
>Well, try to look in the general direction of above and left, anyway
>And shift to the right
>"Hello?"

>You look in that general direction. It's a little far from where you're at, and difficult to see into. The ceiling there has several large stalactites hanging down. The wall seems to be pretty smooth.
>You don't get a reply.

>_

« Reply #355 on: August 01, 2010, 03:37:49 PM »
>Well, keep going forward, but try to keep an eye in that direction as best we can
>Note if the sound seems to change in some way

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #356 on: August 01, 2010, 03:43:46 PM »
>Well, keep going forward, but try to keep an eye in that direction as best we can
>Note if the sound seems to change in some way

>You keep an eye on that direction and try to proceed.
>It is quiet now, save for the wind. You don't hear anything. ...Wait, that sounded like something clattering against the wall to your right!

>_

« Reply #357 on: August 01, 2010, 03:44:42 PM »
>Quickly look in that direction

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #358 on: August 01, 2010, 03:50:17 PM »
>Quickly look in that direction

>You look toward the right, and see nothing.
>"Say rock!" cries a quickly-approaching voice from behind.

>_

« Reply #359 on: August 01, 2010, 03:53:51 PM »
>"Rock?"
>Try to scrabble out of the way of the incoming voice as quickly as possible and turn to face it