Author Topic: Maribel Quest - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 80558 times)

Re: Maribel Quest - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #240 on: July 31, 2010, 11:29:05 PM »
>"Is there anyone around here who might be able to teach me? Or at least see if I have any scrap of potential at all?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2010, 11:31:19 PM »
>"Is there anyone around here who might be able to teach me? Or at least see if I have any scrap of potential at all?"

>"...I am not a very good teacher when ti comes to people," says Satori, shaking her head. "It would be easiest if you found a knowledgeable human to help you. Or at least a youkai who was once human."

>_

« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2010, 11:32:33 PM »
>"A youkai who was once human? How does that work?"

>"You said there aren't any humans underground, though, right? Are there any former humans down here?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #243 on: July 31, 2010, 11:38:23 PM »
>"A youkai who was once human? How does that work?"

>"You said there aren't any humans underground, though, right? Are there any former humans down here?"

>"Sometimes they transcend," says Satori. "I...don't know if it's possible to truly go the other way. But it seems unlikely. As for former humans down here, I don't believe there are any. Perhaps a visitor?"

>_

« Reply #244 on: July 31, 2010, 11:39:49 PM »
>"Well, I'll keep my eyes out. How does one get to the surface from here, anyway?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #245 on: July 31, 2010, 11:44:27 PM »
>"Well, I'll keep my eyes out. How does one get to the surface from here, anyway?"

>"You cross the bridge, and follow the tunnel," says Satori. "I've not done it much, myself, but there shouldn't be much danger of getting lost. There are some youkai in there, I hear, but I can't tell you anything about them."

>_

« Reply #246 on: July 31, 2010, 11:46:29 PM »
>"Ok, well, thanks again for everything. I'm going to go explore the 'safe' places a little, now. If Utsuho gets back before I do, can you let her know where I've gone, in case I manage to get myself kidnapped by some other oni in the process?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #247 on: July 31, 2010, 11:55:20 PM »
>"Ok, well, thanks again for everything. I'm going to go explore the 'safe' places a little, now. If Utsuho gets back before I do, can you let her know where I've gone, in case I manage to get myself kidnapped by some other oni in the process?"

>"Of course, dear," says Satori, as you reach the front door of the Palace of the Earth Spirits. "Please feel free to come back when you like."

>_

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #248 on: July 31, 2010, 11:57:39 PM »
> "Thank you"

> Go explore the safe side of town

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #249 on: August 01, 2010, 12:03:02 AM »
> "Thank you"

> Go explore the safe side of town

>From here, you can go west or south.

>_

« Reply #250 on: August 01, 2010, 12:04:08 AM »
>What can we roughly see in each direction?
>These are both on the safe side of town, right?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #251 on: August 01, 2010, 12:09:08 AM »
>What can we roughly see in each direction?
>These are both on the safe side of town, right?

>You just came from the south, the pub area and the place where the evil spirits gather are that way. To the west, you can see homes, and what seems to be a market around Bridge Street.

>_

« Reply #252 on: August 01, 2010, 12:12:35 AM »
>Head west

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #253 on: August 01, 2010, 12:20:59 AM »
>Head west

>You head westward.
>There are a few oni here, milling about and going on with their lives. You also see what you think is one of Satori's cats lazing on a low roof. The buildings here look like old fashioned Japanese house blocks, with numerous little homes built into long buildings. Lanterns hang from the edges of roofs. Interestingly, you see little gardens built up between them. Obvious exits are East and West.
>There are a few oni talking here. They look at you curiously for a moment, then go back to their conversation. Perhaps Kay's proclamation has already reached here?
>You're starting to feel, moreso that before, like a fish out of water. Everything just seems so weird, and now you have no guide...

>_

« Reply #254 on: August 01, 2010, 12:25:13 AM »
>Take heart. We may be out of place, but this is still the chance of a lifetime. Bigger than that, even. Could we have even imagined we'd ever see a place like this?
>Continue westward

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #255 on: August 01, 2010, 12:39:03 AM »
>Take heart. We may be out of place, but this is still the chance of a lifetime. Bigger than that, even. Could we have even imagined we'd ever see a place like this?
>Continue westward

>It really is. Renko would flip her lid; and perhaps literally her hat, if she were here.
>You push westward, leaving the houses behind.
>You come to the intersection of this street and Bridge Street. There is a market here, with numerous wooden stalls peddling numerous things. Some of the stalls seem to double as homes. You also see a few proper shops among them. There are many oni here, milling about and shopping. Few seem to even notice you yet.

>_

« Reply #256 on: August 01, 2010, 12:41:44 AM »
>Bridge Street was the street we're not supposed to cross, right? Without heading out of Kay's turf?
>Browse around the shops. Does anything catch our attention or interest?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #257 on: August 01, 2010, 12:53:21 AM »
>Bridge Street was the street we're not supposed to cross, right? Without heading out of Kay's turf?
>Browse around the shops. Does anything catch our attention or interest?

>That is correct.
>You look around the shops, and find a lot of interesting things. Jewerly, clothing, food, art objects, weapons, all sorts of stuff. The shopkeepers themselves are pretty interesting, too, being oni and all.

>_

Doll.S CUBE

• ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #258 on: August 01, 2010, 12:54:50 AM »
> See if there's anything we could afford

« Reply #259 on: August 01, 2010, 12:55:32 AM »
>Is there anything that looks magical in some way? Not that we're probably in the best position to tell such things...

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #260 on: August 01, 2010, 12:58:07 AM »
> See if there's anything we could afford

>You browse around, and find you can't afford much. Maybe some candy, or a really cheap bracelet.

>_

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #261 on: August 01, 2010, 01:04:58 AM »
>Probably best to just explore and take in the view for a while. Maybe find a reclusive corner and try to will ourself into the air a little as a throwaway attempt at this magic stuff. I mean... the others can do it already, right? So it wouldn't really attract attention, right?
>Keep an eye out for anyone that DOESN'T look like an oni - they'd probably be a different type of youkai and need different treatment or expectations. Especially if they aren't held to Deva K's claim.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #262 on: August 01, 2010, 01:17:00 AM »
>Probably best to just explore and take in the view for a while. Maybe find a reclusive corner and try to will ourself into the air a little as a throwaway attempt at this magic stuff. I mean... the others can do it already, right? So it wouldn't really attract attention, right?
>Keep an eye out for anyone that DOESN'T look like an oni - they'd probably be a different type of youkai and need different treatment or expectations. Especially if they aren't held to Deva K's claim.

>You look around for now, and try to find somewhere private to try this flight thing. Unfortunately, there is no place private here.
>You look around for non-oni, and you find someone who clearly isn't. A medium-height, dark-haired woman in a short black dress and stockings; wearing them remarkably well. She also has...something like wings extending from her back. On one side she has red blade-like things, on the other blue tendril things. She is talking with a merchant selling sake by the jug.

>_

>_

« Reply #263 on: August 01, 2010, 01:22:18 AM »
>Well, can't hide from every strange person here, or we'd never be able to get anywhere. And maybe it's only the oni that are weird about attacking random people? Hopefully.
>Observe her a little more closely, and try to listen in on their conversation. Try not to be too obvious, if possible.

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #264 on: August 01, 2010, 01:28:26 AM »
>recall oni-based legends from 'our' Gensokyo that may be useful in knowing what to expect.
>wonder if we swapped places with Yukari

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #265 on: August 01, 2010, 01:31:50 AM »
>Well, can't hide from every strange person here, or we'd never be able to get anywhere. And maybe it's only the oni that are weird about attacking random people? Hopefully.
>Observe her a little more closely, and try to listen in on their conversation. Try not to be too obvious, if possible.

>You observe this youkai a little more closely. She seems friendly enough; rather pretty, too.
>"Twelve thousand."she says. "Those jugs are so ugly!"
>"Thirteen," says the oni. "And you're lucky I don't ask for more after you insult my wonderful vessels!"

>recall oni-based legends from 'our' Gensokyo that may be useful in knowing what to expect.

>You are sure they don't like beans. Or dogs. Or so you recall.

>_

« Reply #266 on: August 01, 2010, 01:36:40 AM »
>Wait for their negotiation to be finished, and then see where she goes.
>If she notices us staring and says something: "Oh, sorry, I was just admiring your wings. They're so interesting looking. I'm, uh, new around here, in case it wasn't obvious."

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #267 on: August 01, 2010, 01:37:35 AM »
>Unfortunately, beans are probably unavailable in a city of oni. Curses.
>Does this other youkai look anything like Utsuho?
>Keep watching for now. What sort of youkai could she be?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #268 on: August 01, 2010, 01:42:08 AM »
>Wait for their negotiation to be finished, and then see where she goes.
>If she notices us staring and says something: "Oh, sorry, I was just admiring your wings. They're so interesting looking. I'm, uh, new around here, in case it wasn't obvious."

>After a few moments, they agree on a price of twelve thousand, four hundred.
>She looks over at you, and grins. "Oh, I bet that wasn't all you were admiring, hmmm?"

>_

Doll.S CUBE

• ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #269 on: August 01, 2010, 01:47:45 AM »
> Act clueless "Huh, what do you mean?"