Author Topic: Okuu Quest Subsequently - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 78478 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Okuu Quest Subsequently - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #900 on: July 09, 2010, 11:52:34 PM »
>"Yeah, that may be the best idea. I might be able to come up with some suitable pretext. Wait, does that mean we can't try until Monday? Won't be able to arrange anything about the card with Ace until later this evening, probably long after office hours are over. And I doubt she'd have any over the weekend..."

>Parsee frowns. "Set up a meeting, maybe?"

>_

« Reply #901 on: July 10, 2010, 12:04:16 AM »
>"I suppose I could. But that would need a better pretext than just dropping by. I might even be able to pass the latter off as 'I was in the neighborhood and had a question or two for you.' An appointment would need something more than that, and I'm not sure what, off the top of my hat."
>"I suppose Monday isn't the worst thing in the world, though. Might also give us more time to set other things up properly."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #902 on: July 10, 2010, 12:09:38 AM »
>"I suppose I could. But that would need a better pretext than just dropping by. I might even be able to pass the latter off as 'I was in the neighborhood and had a question or two for you.' An appointment would need something more than that, and I'm not sure what, off the top of my hat."
>"I suppose Monday isn't the worst thing in the world, though. Might also give us more time to set other things up properly."

>"To be honest?" says Parsee, "I'd say the faster we can do it, the better. Even if we don't have the optimal plan. I mean, you did have someone following you already. For all we know, she's still doing it. If we wait too long, things might get way hairier."

>_

« Reply #903 on: July 10, 2010, 12:13:56 AM »
>"That's a good point. I hadn't figured Nue was connected with these people, but I suppose even if she isn't, giving whoever it is more time to do whatever they're doing can't be a good thing."
>"For now, I guess, try to get her schedule and call me with it at work. Maybe we'll luck out, and it'll be possible to get this working tonight, after all."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #904 on: July 10, 2010, 12:22:08 AM »
>"That's a good point. I hadn't figured Nue was connected with these people, but I suppose even if she isn't, giving whoever it is more time to do whatever they're doing can't be a good thing."
>"For now, I guess, try to get her schedule and call me with it at work. Maybe we'll luck out, and it'll be possible to get this working tonight, after all."

>Parsee nods. "I'll head back and do this right after we're done here. And Nue doesn't need to be directly connected. Just connected to someone who's connected."

>_

« Reply #905 on: July 10, 2010, 12:27:42 AM »
>"Yeah, whatever it is, it's awfully hush-hush. Ace can't find any reason why someone would be after me, and she said that bothers her. Said 'Nue does't work for chumps' or something like that."
>"Really, despite all the hints of leads we've gotten, I'm not sure we've found a single bloody answer to anything important, yet."
>Dig into lunch, if we haven't already

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #906 on: July 10, 2010, 12:36:10 AM »
>"Yeah, whatever it is, it's awfully hush-hush. Ace can't find any reason why someone would be after me, and she said that bothers her. Said 'Nue does't work for chumps' or something like that."
>"Really, despite all the hints of leads we've gotten, I'm not sure we've found a single bloody answer to anything important, yet."
>Dig into lunch, if we haven't already

>Parsee nods. "That's just confirming my belief someone high up is onto you. Hell, that Professor might well be in on it."
>"Well, that's not completely true, is it?" says Parsee. "We found you're haunted, and have a pretty good idea why you're feeling the way you do. I dunno if Stargazer is related, but we've learned a lot about her. And we know for a fact they're up to something really shady at the Research Institute."
>You've too busy talking and contemplating to eat; and perhaps you've been challenging yourself not to tear into it with wild abandon. You have to hold yourself back a little bit as it is; you are famished. Even then, you see you're pretty easily outpacing Parsee, who had a head start on you.

>_

« Reply #907 on: July 10, 2010, 01:47:39 AM »
>"It's possible Yumemi is, but if she wanted to detain me, she had plenty enough opportunity. And she could easily have refused to let you come along if she really didn't want witnesses for that. She may be involved in what's going on, but I'm not sure she knows that I am."
>"And yeah, you're right. I know that we've learned a lot. It's just that we still don't have a clue as to HOW or WHY the world is wrong. These ghosts and such are certainly anomalies, but there's something more fundamentally wrong here than a little paranormal activity. I'm certain of it. I just hope we can find what we're looking for in that place."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #908 on: July 10, 2010, 02:13:36 AM »
>"It's possible Yumemi is, but if she wanted to detain me, she had plenty enough opportunity. And she could easily have refused to let you come along if she really didn't want witnesses for that. She may be involved in what's going on, but I'm not sure she knows that I am."
>"And yeah, you're right. I know that we've learned a lot. It's just that we still don't have a clue as to HOW or WHY the world is wrong. These ghosts and such are certainly anomalies, but there's something more fundamentally wrong here than a little paranormal activity. I'm certain of it. I just hope we can find what we're looking for in that place."

>"I suppose you're right," says Parsee. "It would be terribly convoluted for her to do something like that, unless there's reasons so messed up we couldn't guess them."
>"We're gonna find it out, don't worry," says Parsee.

>_

« Reply #909 on: July 10, 2010, 02:26:30 AM »
>"Thanks. It's nice to hear that coming out of someone else's mouth, too. This whole affair is a higher stakes gamble than anything either of us has ever been involved with. I'm sure it goes without saying, but you know that there's a decent possibility we could end up in very, very serious trouble, if something goes wrong. I... want to know that you're fully prepared to accept that possibility. It may be a little late to say this, but I don't want you getting hurt because of my mess."
>Finish up eating

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #910 on: July 10, 2010, 02:41:55 AM »
>"Thanks. It's nice to hear that coming out of someone else's mouth, too. This whole affair is a higher stakes gamble than anything either of us has ever been involved with. I'm sure it goes without saying, but you know that there's a decent possibility we could end up in very, very serious trouble, if something goes wrong. I... want to know that you're fully prepared to accept that possibility. It may be a little late to say this, but I don't want you getting hurt because of my mess."
>Finish up eating

>"I've been learning about people being disappeared for years, Utsuho," says Parsee. "Trust me. I have way better idea what'll be in store for us. That's why I'm so determined to get this stuff out ASAP, before they catch us if the worst happens. If I have to be sacrificed, it won't be in vain."
>You finish up your meal, feeling rather like a pig in the process. There's a whole lot of meat and a whole lot of fries to go through; you end up taking the ones Parsee doesn't want as well. Still, you feel reasonably full by the time it's over, which helps mollify your guilt a bit

>_

« Reply #911 on: July 10, 2010, 03:45:28 AM »
>"Sacrificed....? That's... a really brave and a really terrifying thing to say. I... admire your idealism. I really do. But, I'm not prepared to let you get sacrificed for a cause, here. Not as long as I have a breath left in my body. I swear it. We have to succeed. We WILL succeed. That's the only option open to us."
>"Oh, Parsee... I- I think I might be terrified of all this, if I wasn't even more terrified of never finding out the truth about this world. I hope I can still say that in a few day's time...."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #912 on: July 10, 2010, 03:56:47 AM »
>"Sacrificed....? That's... a really brave and a really terrifying thing to say. I... admire your idealism. I really do. But, I'm not prepared to let you get sacrificed for a cause, here. Not as long as I have a breath left in my body. I swear it. We have to succeed. We WILL succeed. That's the only option open to us."
>"Oh, Parsee... I- I think I might be terrified of all this, if I wasn't even more terrified of never finding out the truth about this world. I hope I can still say that in a few day's time...."

>"Like I said, I know what could happen. I just gotta take this chance while it's here. And I know you're not gonna let me down, after sticking your neck out to get me into that place to begin with."
>She takes your hand into both of hers. "Don't worry. We're going to do this."
>"Oh, that reminds me, I never did tell you my plan for that data. I typed it all up, and sent it to a couple people overseas I trust. In two weeks, if I've not put it up myself, they're going to do it for me. They know how to do it without being traced. That should keep the heat off us. I've got a similar plan for whatever we find next time."

>_

« Reply #913 on: July 10, 2010, 04:01:33 AM »
>"Oh, that sounds smart. I'm glad you've got that one covered."
>"Well, I probably should get back to work soon. Remember to check Yumemi's schedule and call me as soon as you have it. Or anything else of interest for that matter. I'll give you a call after work."
>Pay the bill and head back to work

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #914 on: July 10, 2010, 04:11:37 AM »
>"Oh, that sounds smart. I'm glad you've got that one covered."
>"Well, I probably should get back to work soon. Remember to check Yumemi's schedule and call me as soon as you have it. Or anything else of interest for that matter. I'll give you a call after work."
>Pay the bill and head back to work

>She nods. "It annoys me I can't put it up or talk much about it now, but I'll live. I've got more than enough drama to deal with as it is.
>"I'll have it as soon as I can, don't worry."
>You pay the bill, 29☼, and head out, walking with Parsee back to the bus stop, before she heads back into the University.
>Moments later, you get a phone call. Wow, that as fast.

>_

« Reply #915 on: July 10, 2010, 04:12:52 AM »
>Answer the phone
>"Hello?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #916 on: July 10, 2010, 04:24:06 AM »
>Answer the phone
>"Hello?"

>"Hey sis, it's me," says Orin. "So, I've been visiting shrines, seeing if maybe they had a little more to offer now? Um, the Moriya People want to do an exorcism. What should I do?"

>_

« Reply #917 on: July 10, 2010, 04:26:19 AM »
>"...they do? I went there and asked for advice about how I was convinced the world was wrong, and they came much closer to suggesting I see a shrink than get exorcised. What did you tell them?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #918 on: July 10, 2010, 04:32:49 AM »
>"...they do? I went there and asked for advice about how I was convinced the world was wrong, and they came much closer to suggesting I see a shrink than get exorcised. What did you tell them?"

>"I, um, kinda mentioned the cat..."

>_

« Reply #919 on: July 10, 2010, 04:35:53 AM »
>"Oh, well... um... I suppose I didn't know anything about my own guest at the time. Do they claim they can sense it in any way, themselves? Or are they just taking your word for it?"
>Ask Stargazer if she can remember the shrine we tried to enter the other day that she really, really did not want to be. Can she explain why, now? Was it because she was worried she would be exorcised?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #920 on: July 10, 2010, 04:40:29 AM »
>"Oh, well... um... I suppose I didn't know anything about my own guest at the time. Do they claim they can sense it in any way, themselves? Or are they just taking your word for it?"
>Ask Stargazer if she can remember the shrine we tried to enter the other day that she really, really did not want to be. Can she explain why, now? Was it because she was worried she would be exorcised?

>"The shrine maiden seems to believe I have symptoms of possession," says Orin. "I don't know what to do..."
>Stargazer still isn't sure. All she knows is that both of them gave her a feeling of dread. She doesn't really even understand what dread is, but you can understand what she means from the feelings she gives you. The one in the city was definitely worse, though.

>_

« Reply #921 on: July 10, 2010, 04:47:25 AM »
>"I... don't think you should go through with it. Not yet, at least. I don't think the cat means you any harm, and it's connected to... whatever it is that's wrong. I... I know it must be tempting, if doing it would get rid of the feeling you woke up this morning with. I certainly can't say I'd blame you for wanting that. Of course, we don't know that it'll help. Maybe now that you realize things, you can't STOP realizing them. But even if it would make that sense of wrongness go away, the world itself is still wrong. I'm not going to rest until I find out what, and how, and how we can fix it, if that even makes sense. And I don't want to discard any link or clue we might have to the source of this, no matter how vague. You understand where I'm coming from?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #922 on: July 10, 2010, 04:52:56 AM »
>"I... don't think you should go through with it. Not yet, at least. I don't think the cat means you any harm, and it's connected to... whatever it is that's wrong. I... I know it must be tempting, if doing it would get rid of the feeling you woke up this morning with. I certainly can't say I'd blame you for wanting that. Of course, we don't know that it'll help. Maybe now that you realize things, you can't STOP realizing them. But even if it would make that sense of wrongness go away, the world itself is still wrong. I'm not going to rest until I find out what, and how, and how we can fix it, if that even makes sense. And I don't want to discard any link or clue we might have to the source of this, no matter how vague. You understand where I'm coming from?"

>"Okay," says Orin. "Well, they're kinda not interested in taking no for an answer, but I'll just slip away when they're not looking. Oh, I went to the Myouren Shrine too. The lady there figured out I was related to you. She kinda wants to see you again, and see how you're doing."

>_

« Reply #923 on: July 10, 2010, 04:57:09 AM »
>"Won't take no for an answer? Shouldn't this kind of thing be your own choice, if the spirit isn't harmful to others? Maybe they think it's impairing your judgment... If they had already made up their minds, how'd you end up calling me to ask, in the first place?"
>"Hmm... I wonder how she figured we were related. Did you say that something similar had happened to your sister? Did you mention the cat to her?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #924 on: July 10, 2010, 05:04:03 AM »
>"Won't take no for an answer? Shouldn't this kind of thing be your own choice, if the spirit isn't harmful to others? Maybe they think it's impairing your judgment... If they had already made up their minds, how'd you end up calling me to ask, in the first place?"
>"Hmm... I wonder how she figured we were related. Did you say that something similar had happened to your sister? Did you mention the cat to her?"

>"Oh, I'm just sitting in a side room right now" says Orin. "The shrine maiden is off getting some things. I've not really said no yet, so she's assuming I'm cooperating, I guess. And, yeah, she decided this needed to be done."
>"Well, I kinda told her my problem, then she said it sounded pretty familiar and asked about you. She didn't seem all that suspicious, so I confirmed it before I remembered you were being chased and stuff. I didn't do something bad, did I?"

>_

« Reply #925 on: July 10, 2010, 05:09:31 AM »
>"Out of curiosity, WHICH shrine maiden is this? Can you describe what she looks like?"
>"And no, I don't think you did anything wrong. She was probably the most open-minded about my issue, actually. Maybe I will go back there when I have the time. It's actually kind of nice that she's wondering after me. I don't think Buddhists do the whole exorcism thing, anyway."
>"Oh, maybe I should mention that Stargazer was absolutely terrified of the Moriya shrine when I tried to visit there for a second time. Even she's not sure what she was afraid of, but maybe it really IS the whole exorcism business. For now, it probably really is best if you try to slip out before they get back."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #926 on: July 10, 2010, 05:31:46 AM »
>"Out of curiosity, WHICH shrine maiden is this? Can you describe what she looks like?"
>"And no, I don't think you did anything wrong. She was probably the most open-minded about my issue, actually. Maybe I will go back there when I have the time. It's actually kind of nice that she's wondering after me. I don't think Buddhists do the whole exorcism thing, anyway."
>"Oh, maybe I should mention that Stargazer was absolutely terrified of the Moriya shrine when I tried to visit there for a second time. Even she's not sure what she was afraid of, but maybe it really IS the whole exorcism business. For now, it probably really is best if you try to slip out before they get back."

>"Yeah, I think I'm gonna get away right now...gimme a minute."
>You hear her walking across what sounds like a wooden floor.
>You bus arrives. You quickly board it, so you can hear over the engine noise, nearly forgetting to show your pass to the driver. Thankfully, the bus isn't very crowded. You rapid footsteps through the phone.
>"Okay," says Orin at length. "I got out. It's not really made to keep people from escaping that shrine. Gonna keep moving, though, and get on the first bus I see. I think I hear her calling for me."
>More footsteps.
>"The Shrine maiden? She was a woman with green hair, about our age. Had some really outlandish shrine clothes on; detached sleeves and stuff. She didn't really seem like a bad person, though."

>_

« Reply #927 on: July 10, 2010, 05:37:35 AM »
>"Yeah, I was wondering if it might have been her. Not the same one I talked to. That one was older, and had purple-ish hair. The green-haired one is, uh... also a military test pilot, believe it or not. She wasn't there the first time I went there. I was hoping to meet her, for a couple reasons. That's why I went back. But I wasn't going to take Stargazer to some place she was that terrified of. Made me wonder if maybe I shouldn't be there, either."

>"How much information did you give her on us, anyway? Names? I'm probably just being paranoid, but goodness knows I've got enough reason to be, given some of the stuff going on at the moment."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #928 on: July 10, 2010, 05:44:52 AM »
>"Yeah, I was wondering if it might have been her. Not the same one I talked to. That one was older, and had purple-ish hair. The green-haired one is, uh... also a military test pilot, believe it or not. She wasn't there the first time I went there. I was hoping to meet her, for a couple reasons. That's why I went back. But I wasn't going to take Stargazer to some place she was that terrified of. Made me wonder if maybe I shouldn't be there, either."

>"How much information did you give her on us, anyway? Names? I'm probably just being paranoid, but goodness knows I've got enough reason to be, given some of the stuff going on at the moment."

>"I didn't tell the shrine maiden anything about you at all; I learned my lesson there with the other shrine. I didn't mention that I even had a sister. So I don't think she suspects us. She does know my name, though. I did kinda tell Miss Hijiri you were doing okay, when she asked. I figured it was too late to bother hiding it.

>_

« Reply #929 on: July 10, 2010, 05:48:51 AM »
>"Ah, ok. The shrine maiden's military connection is part of the reason I'm nervous, to be honest. I'll explain that bit in detail when we get together this evening. I'm not really that concerned about Hijiri."
>"Otherwise, you think you're far enough away from the place now that she isn't likely to catch up to you?"