Author Topic: Okuu Quest Subsequently - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 78609 times)

Re: Okuu Quest Subsequently - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #810 on: July 08, 2010, 10:01:34 PM »
>"She's... quite a character, I'll give her that. I actually found her kind of amusing, although I can understand a person wanting to throttle her if you had to put up with that day in and day out. She really is the star of her own little show, isn't she?"
>"I... never realized you were a prof, Nitori. How'd you end up doing this kind of stuff for a living?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #811 on: July 08, 2010, 10:11:55 PM »
>"She's... quite a character, I'll give her that. I actually found her kind of amusing, although I can understand a person wanting to throttle her if you had to put up with that day in and day out. She really is the star of her own little show, isn't she?"
>"I... never realized you were a prof, Nitori. How'd you end up doing this kind of stuff for a living?"

>"You're putting it way too nicely," says Nitori.
>"Oh goddamnit, she told you that? I'll give you the quick version: I didn't care for one of the new projects there and quit. How'd I get into this? Wasn't enough people around doing it, and it's good honest work for good money."

>_

« Reply #812 on: July 08, 2010, 10:14:15 PM »
>"Plus, no more Yumemi, which I'm sure is an excellent career perk."
>"What was that project about, anyway? What about it didn't you like?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #813 on: July 08, 2010, 10:21:10 PM »
>"Plus, no more Yumemi, which I'm sure is an excellent career perk."
>"What was that project about, anyway? What about it didn't you like?"

>"Oh god, yes. You have no idea how many times better you are to work with than she is."
>"Not supposed to talk about it," Nitori says. "But I can say it was something done with the military, and it didn't sit right with me. Didn't get into the work to help out that kind of thing. Yumemi, of course, didn't care. She never cares about the end result, just solving the puzzle. That was years ago, though. They probably finished the damn thing a while back."

>_

« Reply #814 on: July 08, 2010, 10:25:05 PM »
>"Not allowed to talk about it, even now? You say it's been years, and you don't even work for them, anymore."
>"Looks like there's still plenty of things going on in there that people aren't supposed to talk about, though. Fancy sealed doors that Yumemi almost tried to pretend did not exist. Evidently research projects even most of the facility staff aren't allowed to know about. Wouldn't even drop a hint when I tried to give her a chance to show off how brilliant she is."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #815 on: July 08, 2010, 10:41:04 PM »
>"Not allowed to talk about it, even now? You say it's been years, and you don't even work for them, anymore."
>"Looks like there's still plenty of things going on in there that people aren't supposed to talk about, though. Fancy sealed doors that Yumemi almost tried to pretend did not exist. Evidently research projects even most of the facility staff aren't allowed to know about. Wouldn't even drop a hint when I tried to give her a chance to show off how brilliant she is."

>"Yeah, they said they'll tell me when it's not longer classified," says Nitori. "And doesn't matter if I still work for them, I'm legally bound to keep it on the lowdown."
>"We're not allowed to talk about those, no," says Nitori. "I can't see any of that being declassified anytime soon."

>_

« Reply #816 on: July 08, 2010, 10:44:36 PM »
>"Sigh... it's kind of frustrating. Are all the secret projects there associated with the military? Is that why they're secret?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #817 on: July 08, 2010, 10:50:50 PM »
>"Sigh... it's kind of frustrating. Are all the secret projects there associated with the military? Is that why they're secret?"

>She ponders for a moment. "Seems like a loophole. No, not all of them. A lot of front room stuff is independently pursued. As for the stuff behind, I'd...rather not risk playing loopholes. I'll say they have a hand in it and leave it at that." She puts particular emphasis on "a hand".

>_

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #818 on: July 08, 2010, 10:52:40 PM »
> "Well I suppose its fine as long we aren't assaulted by rogue super-soldiers."

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #819 on: July 08, 2010, 10:57:34 PM »
> "Well I suppose its fine as long we aren't assaulted by rogue super-soldiers."

>"You shouldn't be," says Nitori. "Although non-rogue soldiers might be a problem if you started leaking things should you be selected to get in there."

>_

« Reply #820 on: July 08, 2010, 10:58:36 PM »
>"Selected to get in there? How does that work, anyway?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #821 on: July 08, 2010, 11:04:35 PM »
>"Selected to get in there? How does that work, anyway?"

>"Most of the people up front are grad students and researchers," says Nitori. "They're just under usual non-disclosure stuff. Though some of it can get pretty involved, like with military projects. The people in back, well, they get selected from those who show the right combination of promise and discretion. So, essentially, you do your best and if they like you, you're in."
>She pauses for a moment, then adds, "Don't ask me about the custodians and stuff. I don't know how they're recruited. Probably the same way the military does with the people who clean up their top secret locations."

>_
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:07:06 PM by Purvisen Silver »

« Reply #822 on: July 08, 2010, 11:06:04 PM »
>"And you were one of the lucky few, then?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #823 on: July 08, 2010, 11:08:42 PM »
>"And you were one of the lucky few, then?"

>"Yep," she says. "I suppose it won't hurt to say not everyone there is local. They recruit all over the world. Don't ask how, because I couldn't tell you even if I did know."

>_

« Reply #824 on: July 08, 2010, 11:12:16 PM »
>"I don't know... black projects give me the creeps. And even if you're only working in the up front areas, I think it would be unnerving knowing that god-knows-what is being developed down the hall from you. I don't even know what they do, and I think I already sympathize for you wanting out."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #825 on: July 08, 2010, 11:18:29 PM »
>"I don't know... black projects give me the creeps. And even if you're only working in the up front areas, I think it would be unnerving knowing that god-knows-what is being developed down the hall from you. I don't even know what they do, and I think I already sympathize for you wanting out."

>She ponders for a moment. "Well, I suppose I can tell you this much. What sent me away? It was an up front project. The stuff in back is...well, they know what they're doing. It's nothing to worry about."

>_

« Reply #826 on: July 08, 2010, 11:22:23 PM »
>"Up front? Really? I thought they weren't classified, though? At least, nothing serious-like."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #827 on: July 08, 2010, 11:26:44 PM »
>"Up front? Really? I thought they weren't classified, though? At least, nothing serious-like."

>"Some of the things up front are pretty heavily classified on their own," says Nitori. "It's kinda a layer between the basics and the back. The back, well...only certain things happen there."

>_

« Reply #828 on: July 08, 2010, 11:42:14 PM »
>"Only certain things? Sounds pretty specific."

Blitzer

• 「Touhoustuck」
« Reply #829 on: July 08, 2010, 11:43:44 PM »
>"Why do you think they keep these things from the general public?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #830 on: July 08, 2010, 11:46:43 PM »
>"Only certain things? Sounds pretty specific."

>She nods. "Yeah. I'm not gonna go into any more detail about."

>"Why do you think they keep these things from the general public?"

>"They got their reasons," say Nitori.

>_

« Reply #831 on: July 08, 2010, 11:51:16 PM »
>"Sorry, I'm not meaning to pry. Just can't help being curious, especially with all the rumors you hear coming out of that place."
>"...as strange as this might sound, I don't suppose any of what they do in there really does have any connection with what regular people might call... paranormal?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #832 on: July 09, 2010, 12:13:01 AM »
>"Sorry, I'm not meaning to pry. Just can't help being curious, especially with all the rumors you hear coming out of that place."
>"...as strange as this might sound, I don't suppose any of what they do in there really does have any connection with what regular people might call... paranormal?"

>"I can't answer that," Nitori says. "Sorry. Really, I would if I could, but I can't. It's not that I don't trust you, it's just that I don't trust who you might tell. And, I know you're going to say you won't tell a soul, but I said the same thing, and if I break it, you might too."

>_

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #833 on: July 09, 2010, 12:18:13 AM »
> Ponder if it might be a good idea to hint that we have something weird going on even if we don't actually say what it is or imply that it's paranormal

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #834 on: July 09, 2010, 12:21:41 AM »
> Ponder if it might be a good idea to hint that we have something weird going on even if we don't actually say what it is or imply that it's paranormal

>You're not sure. Nitori's always been a scientific, rational sort. She might dismiss you outright. Or, given these connections you seem to have, she might get you into a different kind of trouble altogether...
>In the end, it comes down to how much you trust her.

>_

Blitzer

• 「Touhoustuck」
« Reply #835 on: July 09, 2010, 12:23:01 AM »
>Decide it's a bad idea to even give Nitori a hint of...your predicament.
>Get back to work.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #836 on: July 09, 2010, 12:45:14 AM »
>Decide it's a bad idea to even give Nitori a hint of...your predicament.
>Get back to work.

>You get back to work.
>As you assessed, the first unit isn't that hard to fix. You get to work on the second one, and find it as lot more intricate work to be done. Oh well.
>While you labor away, Nitori works on a third unit, which is apparently being troublesome from some of the imprecations she is muttering. All in all, a typical day. Save for the fact you have Stargazer still peering over your shoulder, wondering at what you are doing. This isn't really a problem, until she starts to poke at a screwdriver, despite her unseen state, and moves it around.

>_

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #837 on: July 09, 2010, 12:49:41 AM »
> It should be fine as long as she doesn't do anything too large-scale.
> "So when do you have to start the house calls?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #838 on: July 09, 2010, 01:07:21 AM »
> It should be fine as long as she doesn't do anything too large-scale.
> "So when do you have to start the house calls?"

>It doesn't seem like she's doing anything hugely noticabl-wait she just picked up the screwdriver. She's proud of herself!
>"In a little bit," says Nitori. "How's the new girlfriend?"

>_

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #839 on: July 09, 2010, 01:10:19 AM »
> Convey to Stargazer that Nitori may notice her if she doesn't put the screwdriver down.
> "She's doing good.  Why do you ask?"