Author Topic: Okuu Quest Subsequently - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 78505 times)

Re: Okuu Quest Subsequently - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #600 on: July 06, 2010, 04:32:44 AM »
>"Well, no. But given that we don't know what this IS, we also don't know what it CAN do, if it wanted to."
>Move forward cautiously and non-aggressively
>"Don't worry. I just want to understand what you are."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #601 on: July 06, 2010, 04:37:05 AM »
>"Well, no. But given that we don't know what this IS, we also don't know what it CAN do, if it wanted to."
>Move forward cautiously and non-aggressively
>"Don't worry. I just want to understand what you are."

>You take a step forward, closing the distance between the two of you to two feet.
>The cat shadow watches you, or at least it has its head inclined toward you. It does not make any sort of response to you.

>_

« Reply #602 on: July 06, 2010, 04:39:49 AM »
>"Do you still have no idea what this is, Stargazer? Do you think it would be harmful to try and touch it?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #603 on: July 06, 2010, 04:44:05 AM »
>"Do you still have no idea what this is, Stargazer? Do you think it would be harmful to try and touch it?"

>She can sort of feel...a sense of nostalgia from it? She doesn't really understand what nostalgia is, but you can pick up her meaning despite this.

>_

« Reply #604 on: July 06, 2010, 04:46:22 AM »
>"Nostalgia? Does it remind you of something? Can you remember what that is? Or do you mean that the CAT feels nostalgia?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #605 on: July 06, 2010, 04:49:08 AM »
>"Nostalgia? Does it remind you of something? Can you remember what that is? Or do you mean that the CAT feels nostalgia?"

>She means the latter.
>The cat shadow flips an ear at you.

« Reply #606 on: July 06, 2010, 04:50:37 AM »
>To the Cat: "What is it you're remembering? Do I remind you of someone you know?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #607 on: July 06, 2010, 05:14:08 AM »
>To the Cat: "What is it you're remembering? Do I remind you of someone you know?"

>It does not respond to you, it just continues to give the impression it's watching you.

>_

« Reply #608 on: July 06, 2010, 05:17:09 AM »
>Reach out a hand cautiously towards the cat

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #609 on: July 06, 2010, 05:27:05 AM »
>Reach out a hand cautiously towards the cat

>You reach out down toward it gingerly. It doesn't seem to react, nor do you feel anything dangerous or odd in the air around it.

>_

« Reply #610 on: July 06, 2010, 05:30:59 AM »
>Try to touch the cat as if we were about to pet a regular cat

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #611 on: July 06, 2010, 05:43:23 AM »
>Try to touch the cat as if we were about to pet a regular cat

>You reach down and pat it on the back. Your fingers feel no resistance, and they slide through its shadowy body as easily as the air.
>You feel a slight warmth about your hand for a fraction of a second, then something races through your head. It downs out all your other thoughts, all of your senses. With the volume and force of an immense bell, a lone alien thought rings through your mind: MEOW.
>Slowly, you begin to realize someone is holding you. No, two people. "Utsuho?" you hear Parsee shout, in an odd sort of way that makes her feel more distant than she is. You feel weak, like you've been running a lot. You can remember things, strange things. Nothing so complete that you can really recall it, but more like a dream mostly forgotten. You remember heat and darkness, both comforting and familiar. You remember motion in the dark, intriguing you. You remember music, but not the tune.
>You think you can stand, you're feeling less weak now. Both Parsee and Maribel are holding you, and you realize you are on your knees. "Answer me, dammit!" Parsee shouts.

>_

« Reply #612 on: July 06, 2010, 05:47:07 AM »
>"Um, I- I'm ok, I think. I- What happened?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #613 on: July 06, 2010, 05:52:10 AM »
>"Um, I- I'm ok, I think. I- What happened?"

>"You touched it," Maribel says, "And then you collapsed. Parsee grabbed you, but she needed some help...."
>"Wouldn't have been a problem if you weren't so stupid tall!" Parsee says. "Now you tell us what happened?"

>_

« Reply #614 on: July 06, 2010, 05:53:20 AM »
>"Where's the cat? Is it still around here?"
>Look around

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #615 on: July 06, 2010, 06:01:53 AM »
>"Where's the cat? Is it still around here?"
>Look around

>You look around, seeing no signs of the cat.
>"It ran away," says Parsee, "Not disappeared like last time, it ran. Renko's chasing it right now."
>"She snatched the camera from me," says Maribel.
>You feel an odd tingly sensation on your back. Oh, that's Stargazer touching you. She seems to be trying to reassure you. At least, that's what she suspects everyone is trying to do."

>_

« Reply #616 on: July 06, 2010, 06:06:09 AM »
>"When I touched it... I felt something, in my mind. I- I don't really remember it. Almost like a dream, or half-remembered memories. Were they... mine? Something seemed familiar, somehow. Or was it the cat's memories?"
>Can we focus and try to recall anything else about our experience?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #617 on: July 06, 2010, 06:12:49 AM »
>"When I touched it... I felt something, in my mind. I- I don't really remember it. Almost like a dream, or half-remembered memories. Were they... mine? Something seemed familiar, somehow. Or was it the cat's memories?"
>Can we focus and try to recall anything else about our experience?

>Parsee shakes her head. "I can't say. I would guess they're the cat's."
>You try to recall other things from the experience. You don't get much, but you recall a sense of...duty? Obligation? You have no idea what you feel this toward.

>_

« Reply #618 on: July 06, 2010, 06:15:50 AM »
>"Which way did Renko run off to?"
>If we're feeling well enough to move, follow after her

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #619 on: July 06, 2010, 06:23:12 AM »
>"Which way did Renko run off to?"
>If we're feeling well enough to move, follow after her

>Maribel points down the alley, the way that the cat shadow first appeared. "She went back toward the convenience store"
>You think you can walk. Standing up, you take an experimental step and find it's good enough. You start to follow after Renko. "Let's meet up at the bus stop!" Maribel says, as she moves to get the cameras. Parsee follows along with you.
>You chase after Renko as quickly as you can. After a block or so, you find her walking back toward you.

>_

« Reply #620 on: July 06, 2010, 06:25:41 AM »
>"Renko! What happened? Did it disappear, again?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #621 on: July 06, 2010, 06:39:12 AM »
>"Renko! What happened? Did it disappear, again?"

>"Little bastard got away from me," Renko says with a sour look,  "ran through a fence. By the time I was able to get over it, the cat was gone. It went off toward that way, I think." She gestures vaguely in the a direction that could be your house, Yamame's house, the pharmacy, or really a whole lot of the Skids. "Managed to tape some of its getaway, though."

>_

« Reply #622 on: July 06, 2010, 06:42:36 AM »
>"So, it was still visible? Just run off somewhere?"
>"Stargazer, can you get any sense of where it is, now? Or is it too far away?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #623 on: July 06, 2010, 06:47:47 AM »
>"So, it was still visible? Just run off somewhere?"
>"Stargazer, can you get any sense of where it is, now? Or is it too far away?"

>"It was when I last saw it," says Renko. "Went through a fence and that was it. All sorts of places it could have gone."
>"Guess it won't be coming back, then," says Parsee.
>Stargazer cannot feel it at all. But she'd need to be pretty close, it was nothing on the order of those two women from a few hours ago.

>_

« Reply #624 on: July 06, 2010, 06:50:18 AM »
>"I wonder if our... contact startled her, too? Actually, how long was I out? Did it run off immediately after I touched it?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #625 on: July 06, 2010, 06:54:23 AM »
>"I wonder if our... contact startled her, too? Actually, how long was I out? Did it run off immediately after I touched it?"

>"It didn't stay around for much longer than a second," says Renko.
>"Um, maybe half a minute, at most?" says Parsee. "Sorry, I was too busy holding you up to count the seconds.

>_

« Reply #626 on: July 06, 2010, 06:58:21 AM »
>"No, that's close enough. I couldn't have told you if it was 5 seconds or 20 minutes."
>"And I'm, uh, sorry for scaring you like that. Really."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #627 on: July 06, 2010, 07:06:36 AM »
>"No, that's close enough. I couldn't have told you if it was 5 seconds or 20 minutes."
>"And I'm, uh, sorry for scaring you like that. Really."

>"You're goddamn right you're sorry!" says Parsee, glaring at you. "I thought it gave you a heart attack or something!"
>"I assume you're all right?" Renko says.
>You notice Maribel hurrying to catch up down the street.

>_

« Reply #628 on: July 06, 2010, 07:11:48 AM »
>"I think I'm alright, anyway. Maybe a little out of it, but I don't think it hurt me in any way. Just... gave my mind more than it could process, or something."
>"Damnit! There's something important to this. I wish I could remember...."
>Try to focus on the memory fragments again

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #629 on: July 06, 2010, 07:35:56 AM »
>"I think I'm alright, anyway. Maybe a little out of it, but I don't think it hurt me in any way. Just... gave my mind more than it could process, or something."
>"Damnit! There's something important to this. I wish I could remember...."
>Try to focus on the memory fragments again

>You really don't find anything new, as you focus on them again. Just, they feel disconcerting. Why would a hot and dark place feel anything other than frightening? Is that sense of motion important? Why would you feel a duty toward anything there?
>Parsee takes your hand. "Sorry I got mad. I was just worried."

>_