Author Topic: Okuu Quest Subsequently - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 78635 times)

Re: Okuu Quest Subsequently - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #570 on: July 05, 2010, 11:44:38 PM »
>"Yeah, she's here."
>Point in her general direction, if we can tell where that is
>"Actually, I asked her earlier today, and she doesn't seem to think she can wander very far away from me. I don't know if she's tethered to me somehow, or something."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #571 on: July 05, 2010, 11:50:54 PM »
>"Yeah, she's here."
>Point in her general direction, if we can tell where that is
>"Actually, I asked her earlier today, and she doesn't seem to think she can wander very far away from me. I don't know if she's tethered to me somehow, or something."

>You gesture toward Mad Mart, where she is still wandering around.
>"I see," says Renko. "Interesting. I guess it is possession, then. Or, well, more like a parasite or a symbiotic organism."

>_

« Reply #572 on: July 05, 2010, 11:54:40 PM »
>"Yeah, possibly. I'm not sure even Stargazer knows exactly how it works. She doesn't seem to have a whole lot of memories of the time before recently, either. Bits and pieces. I think she spent most of the time 'asleep'."
>"She's very curious about our world, though, even if she has a hard time understanding most of it. I try to explain some of it, but that doesn't always help a whole lot."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #573 on: July 06, 2010, 12:11:27 AM »
>"Yeah, possibly. I'm not sure even Stargazer knows exactly how it works. She doesn't seem to have a whole lot of memories of the time before recently, either. Bits and pieces. I think she spent most of the time 'asleep'."
>"She's very curious about our world, though, even if she has a hard time understanding most of it. I try to explain some of it, but that doesn't always help a whole lot."

>Renko nods. "Huh. Guess she wasn't really part of the world until then."
>"If she's curious, that's probably a good thing," says Maribel. "It means she can likely learn things easily, and would care enough to do it."

>_

« Reply #574 on: July 06, 2010, 12:18:41 AM »
>"Oh, curious is a good thing. Would be nice if she wasn't always so confused, though, but I think it might be getting a little better, at least"
>"Anyway, shall we head out?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #575 on: July 06, 2010, 12:31:45 AM »
>"Oh, curious is a good thing. Would be nice if she wasn't always so confused, though, but I think it might be getting a little better, at least"
>"Anyway, shall we head out?"

>"It's not terribly surprising, if the poor thing doesn't really understand words," says Maribel, as the group begins to move on. "I'm surpised she can relate to us at all."

>_

« Reply #576 on: July 06, 2010, 12:39:49 AM »
>"Yeah, I'm still not quite sure how she understands me, exactly. It clearly isn't just my speech. She's still baffled by that. But I tried to communicate with her without speaking earlier, and that mostly confused her. I don't know if me actually speaking helps focus my mind to a particular idea, and makes it easier for her to understand it?"
>"But, I mean, if I can tell where she is without being able to see her at all, there's clearly a whole lot of extrasensory stuff going on."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #577 on: July 06, 2010, 12:48:47 AM »
>"Yeah, I'm still not quite sure how she understands me, exactly. It clearly isn't just my speech. She's still baffled by that. But I tried to communicate with her without speaking earlier, and that mostly confused her. I don't know if me actually speaking helps focus my mind to a particular idea, and makes it easier for her to understand it?"
>"But, I mean, if I can tell where she is without being able to see her at all, there's clearly a whole lot of extrasensory stuff going on."

>"Maybe she's just doing to do what you do with her?" Parsee says. "Maybe she reads your feelings and stuff? I guess talking helps you determine what you want her to hear."
>Parsee ponders for a moment. "God, if she learned to talk, that means she'd probably never shut up."

>_

« Reply #578 on: July 06, 2010, 01:00:20 AM »
>"Haha, I suppose that might be right. But at least she might learn quicker."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #579 on: July 06, 2010, 01:06:14 AM »
>"Haha, I suppose that might be right. But at least she might learn quicker."

>"I swear to god," Parsee mutters, "if she starts talking I'm throwing you both out."
>"You two live together?" Maribel asks.
>"She's been staying with me since we started seeing each other," says Parsee. There's little mistaking the undertone in her voice.
>"Hey, how'd the trip through the Institute go?" Renko asks.

>_

« Reply #580 on: July 06, 2010, 01:12:24 AM »
>"It was... less eventful than I'd expected, from an extranormal point of view. Of course, all the conventional science gear in there is amazing, and I'd really love to get the chance to use it, someday. But we never saw anything 'odd', as such. There's definitely something up, there, though. There are restricted areas whose contents are so secret that even many people who work at the facility aren't allowed to know what goes on there. I tried to push for a hint, but our guide wouldn't give us a thing."
>"I also overheard part of an... unnerving conversation between our guide and a guard. Something about problems, and capturing something. I don't really know what they were referring to, though..."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #581 on: July 06, 2010, 01:39:50 AM »
>"It was... less eventful than I'd expected, from an extranormal point of view. Of course, all the conventional science gear in there is amazing, and I'd really love to get the chance to use it, someday. But we never saw anything 'odd', as such. There's definitely something up, there, though. There are restricted areas whose contents are so secret that even many people who work at the facility aren't allowed to know what goes on there. I tried to push for a hint, but our guide wouldn't give us a thing."
>"I also overheard part of an... unnerving conversation between our guide and a guard. Something about problems, and capturing something. I don't really know what they were referring to, though..."

>"Apparently not us, though," Parsee says. "Or if it was, we must have done something right."
>Renko nods. "They might be up to something, I suppose. No idea how you'd figure it out, sort of interrogating someone who is in there. And that wouldn't end well in the long run."
>You are drawing closer to the alley.

>_

« Reply #582 on: July 06, 2010, 01:47:18 AM »
>"Yeah, I don't know... Still working on that problem."
>"Would be nice to be able to just send Stargazer in to look around, but even if she was capable of getting that far away from me, I'm not sure she'd be much good for reconnaissance. If she has trouble understanding what a refrigerator is, I can't imagine she'd know what to make of, well, anything in that building."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #583 on: July 06, 2010, 02:02:23 AM »
>"Yeah, I don't know... Still working on that problem."
>"Would be nice to be able to just send Stargazer in to look around, but even if she was capable of getting that far away from me, I'm not sure she'd be much good for reconnaissance. If she has trouble understanding what a refrigerator is, I can't imagine she'd know what to make of, well, anything in that building."

>"Well, she could probably be useful for at least some of the job," says Parsee.
>You enter the alley. It is more or less the same as it was last night.

>_

« Reply #584 on: July 06, 2010, 02:09:47 AM »
>"Well, I guess it's the same plan as last night. Wait around a bunch, and hope that cat shows up again."
>Wait around

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #585 on: July 06, 2010, 02:21:59 AM »
>"Well, I guess it's the same plan as last night. Wait around a bunch, and hope that cat shows up again."
>Wait around

>"Pretty much," says Renko.
>Maribel shrugs off the backpack she was wearing, pulls out a couple of video cameras, and begins to place them around the alley. Renko checks the geocache she found last night again, while saying "Tonight, we're hoping to get some footage we can share, without having your ghosts in it, Utsuho."

>_

« Reply #586 on: July 06, 2010, 02:40:25 AM »
>"Ah. Trying to get enough angles that you can catch the cat without me being in the shot, then?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #587 on: July 06, 2010, 02:52:42 AM »
>"Ah. Trying to get enough angles that you can catch the cat without me being in the shot, then?"

>"Yep, and maybe anything we missed," says Renko. "Hoping it's worth the rental fees."

>_

« Reply #588 on: July 06, 2010, 02:54:36 AM »
>"Well, I'm just hoping the ghost comes back around, tonight. I mean, you never know... Keeping my fingers crossed, though."
>Wait around until something happens

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #589 on: July 06, 2010, 03:13:06 AM »
>"Well, I'm just hoping the ghost comes back around, tonight. I mean, you never know... Keeping my fingers crossed, though."
>Wait around until something happens

>You linger about as the minutes tick by.  Parsee stays near you, not so affectionate as she was on the bus, but clearly there to be with you. You are pretty sure she shoots Maribel a look every now and again when Maribel isn't looking. Stargazer lingers around. You notice she becomes a little bit visible; sort of like a dim dreamy outline, and keeps to the shadows. You're pretty sure no one is aware of her.
>After some time, you begin to feel Stargazer get confused, and a little wary. Something is happening.

>_

« Reply #590 on: July 06, 2010, 03:30:49 AM »
>"What is it? What can you sense?"
>Look around

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #591 on: July 06, 2010, 03:34:53 AM »
>"What is it? What can you sense?"
>Look around

>You get everyone's attention as you ask Stargazer for more information. "Sense what?" Renko asks.
>You can't see Stargazer, but you can feel she is looking toward where the two alleys meet. There, you can see a kind of ululation in the darkness, near the ground and not much higher than your shins.

>_

« Reply #592 on: July 06, 2010, 03:49:51 AM »
>"I think there's something over here."
>Point it out, and then move closer for a better look

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #593 on: July 06, 2010, 04:00:55 AM »
>"I think there's something over here."
>Point it out, and then move closer for a better look

>You point out the undulation, and get closer to it. As you do, you can make out its shape better in the darkness. It is the Cat Shadow again.

>_

« Reply #594 on: July 06, 2010, 04:02:57 AM »
>"Stargazer, do you have any idea what that is?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #595 on: July 06, 2010, 04:08:02 AM »
>"Stargazer, do you have any idea what that is?"

>She is beside you now, clearly visible and mystified. She...doesn't have any idea what it is. It feels different than herself, at least. But kind of the same, as well.
>"Maribel!" cries Renko, "Are you getting this!"
>"All of it!" says Maribel.
>You can hear Parsee getting closer.

>_

« Reply #596 on: July 06, 2010, 04:11:56 AM »
>Try to beckon the cat over
>"Hey there. Remember me?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #597 on: July 06, 2010, 04:17:53 AM »
>Try to beckon the cat over
>"Hey there. Remember me?"

>You beckon toward the Cat Shadow. It slowly approaches you, as if uncertain.
>Stargazer watches, curious and a little wary. She isn't sure if this dangerous or not.

>_

« Reply #598 on: July 06, 2010, 04:21:44 AM »
>"So, can you understand me, at least a little?"
>"I don't want to hurt you, if you don't want to hurt me."

>To the others: "Stargazer doesn't seem to know whether this is dangerous or not. I can't say that fills me with confidence..."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #599 on: July 06, 2010, 04:29:53 AM »
>"So, can you understand me, at least a little?"
>"I don't want to hurt you, if you don't want to hurt me."

>To the others: "Stargazer doesn't seem to know whether this is dangerous or not. I can't say that fills me with confidence..."

>It doesn't really respond. You're not sure if it was attracted by your gesture or your presence in general.
>It sits down about a yard from you.
>"It hasn't done anything yet, right?" asks Parsee.

>_