Author Topic: Okuu Quest Subsequently - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 78448 times)

Re: Okuu Quest Subsequently - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #480 on: July 03, 2010, 07:22:55 AM »
>"Well, I was there earlier today, and I heard part of a conversation between one of the higher ranked professors and security. I couldn't tell a whole lot, but I got the definite impression something was up. Something about capturing something, and a possible issue with my presence there. Seemed rather secretive. I wish I could be more specific."
>"Also, well... I was wondering if you know how someone could get access to the more restricted areas of the place. I don't know if that sort of thing is in the realm of what you do, but I thought I'd ask."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #481 on: July 03, 2010, 07:36:01 AM »
>"Well, I was there earlier today, and I heard part of a conversation between one of the higher ranked professors and security. I couldn't tell a whole lot, but I got the definite impression something was up. Something about capturing something, and a possible issue with my presence there. Seemed rather secretive. I wish I could be more specific."
>"Also, well... I was wondering if you know how someone could get access to the more restricted areas of the place. I don't know if that sort of thing is in the realm of what you do, but I thought I'd ask."

>"huh really? thats pretty rockin'. the going part not the pigs gossiping part"
>"i dunno nab some id?"

« Reply #482 on: July 04, 2010, 12:41:05 AM »
>"Well, the restricted areas are behind card locks that even most facility employees don't have access to, and there's two guard stations with actual people at them on the way there, so I'd probably need something more than just someone else's ID. I only know specifically of one person who has access, and I hardly think I could pass for her"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #483 on: July 04, 2010, 12:50:33 AM »
>"Well, the restricted areas are behind card locks that even most facility employees don't have access to, and there's two guard stations with actual people at them on the way there, so I'd probably need something more than just someone else's ID. I only know specifically of one person who has access, and I hardly think I could pass for her"

>"dunno much about realside shadowruns. knock out the guards i guess?"

« Reply #484 on: July 04, 2010, 01:00:33 AM »
>"I'd rather make as little noise there as I can. And I'm sure whatever you know about this sort of thing is more than I do."
>"Your specialties are computers and information, right? Is there anything you might be able to get me on the security system that could be helpful? Or, I don't know, mess with their systems long enough for me to slip in? I'm not sure where the line between Holywood hacking and actual possible hacking is drawn. Is there anything you can think of that could, in theory, be done? Be creative."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #485 on: July 04, 2010, 01:03:33 AM »
>"I'd rather make as little noise there as I can. And I'm sure whatever you know about this sort of thing is more than I do."
>"Your specialties are computers and information, right? Is there anything you might be able to get me on the security system that could be helpful? Or, I don't know, mess with their systems long enough for me to slip in? I'm not sure where the line between Holywood hacking and actual possible hacking is drawn. Is there anything you can think of that could, in theory, be done? Be creative."

>"nothing from here. like i said its a datafortress. bet a buncha stuff is on an local net anyways."

« Reply #486 on: July 04, 2010, 01:04:42 AM »
>"Yeah, I figured as much. But hey, had to ask."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #487 on: July 04, 2010, 01:19:55 AM »
>"Yeah, I figured as much. But hey, had to ask."

>"yeah. you gotta be kinda dumb to put your ice where people on the net can get at it. thats an onsite job."

>_

« Reply #488 on: July 04, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »
>"Meaning if I was in a position to bypass their systems, I wouldn't need to bypass their systems, since I'd already be inside them..."
>"Maybe I really will have to steal someone's ID..."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #489 on: July 04, 2010, 01:31:57 AM »
>"Meaning if I was in a position to bypass their systems, I wouldn't need to bypass their systems, since I'd already be inside them..."
>"Maybe I really will have to steal someone's ID..."

>"well sorta. just because your inside doesn't mean your out of the woods."
>"probably help with cardkeys and stuff."

>_

« Reply #490 on: July 04, 2010, 01:36:11 AM »
>"Well, yeah, I suppose I'd eventually look out of place, even if I got inside the doors."
>"Probably help, what? You mean you could probably help, or just that stealing the ID would probably help?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #491 on: July 04, 2010, 01:49:19 AM »
>"Well, yeah, I suppose I'd eventually look out of place, even if I got inside the doors."
>"Probably help, what? You mean you could probably help, or just that stealing the ID would probably help?"

>"yeah probably. gotta be ready for that."
>"i meant that itd probably help to gank an id since they'd have all the key stuff on 'em. no way a place like that'd have two kinds of stuff for people to lose. i dunno if id even wanna get in on that kind of shadowrun."

>_

« Reply #492 on: July 04, 2010, 01:57:18 AM »
>"I can't say that I want to get in on it, either. But I need to see what they've got down there, and just asking them didn't get me very far."

>"But I guess if you can't help with that one, and you don't have any new info about Nue, is there anything else you have to add at the moment? I'll keep you posted if I find out anything new about whoever might want to stalk me."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #493 on: July 04, 2010, 02:09:46 AM »
>"I can't say that I want to get in on it, either. But I need to see what they've got down there, and just asking them didn't get me very far."

>"But I guess if you can't help with that one, and you don't have any new info about Nue, is there anything else you have to add at the moment? I'll keep you posted if I find out anything new about whoever might want to stalk me."

>"huh. why?"
>"didnt say i can't. its interesting. just you know"
>You can feel Stargazer peering over your shoulder, though she isn't visible at the moment, radiating curiosity.

>_

« Reply #494 on: July 04, 2010, 02:22:39 AM »
>"Well, some of my reasons mightn't make a lot of sense to you, but what I do know for sure is that they're doing stuff down there so secret even most of the facility employees can't know about it. That, in and of itself, makes it interesting. And let's just say that I'm highly personally motivated to find out what it is."
>"Well, what, in theory, might you be able to help with? Assuming you were theoretically interested in doing so. I do understand why you mightn't be, so we can keep this hypothetical."

>While we're at it, see if we can explain to Stargazer that this device we're interacting with is letting us communicate with another person from a long distance. And that we're trying to get their help with investigating some of the strangeness around here

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #495 on: July 04, 2010, 02:34:28 AM »
>"Well, some of my reasons mightn't make a lot of sense to you, but what I do know for sure is that they're doing stuff down there so secret even most of the facility employees can't know about it. That, in and of itself, makes it interesting. And let's just say that I'm highly personally motivated to find out what it is."
>"Well, what, in theory, might you be able to help with? Assuming you were theoretically interested in doing so. I do understand why you mightn't be, so we can keep this hypothetical."

>While we're at it, see if we can explain to Stargazer that this device we're interacting with is letting us communicate with another person from a long distance. And that we're trying to get their help with investigating some of the strangeness around here

>"oh a homerun okay."
>"if i can jack into that intranet i could probably screw with it. probably some security i could take out. maybe other things like ganking data"
>You try to explain what is happening to Stargazer. Parsee looks at you oddly from her desktop for a moment, where she's typing nonstop, then seems to understand what is going on. Stargazer, on the other hand, really doesn't understand how communication is happening. She seems to be suspicious of the sounds of the keyboard, thinking that is it.

>_

« Reply #496 on: July 04, 2010, 02:39:22 AM »
>"Oh, do you mean actually come along in person, then?"
>"Is there anything I could do that could sweeten the deal for you? Or do you just want some time to think about it more?"

>Try to explain to Stargazer that when we press these buttons, writing appears on a screen just like this one, except somewhere else in town. Someone looking at that screen can then read what we're writing

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #497 on: July 04, 2010, 02:49:16 AM »
>"Oh, do you mean actually come along in person, then?"
>"Is there anything I could do that could sweeten the deal for you? Or do you just want some time to think about it more?"

>Try to explain to Stargazer that when we press these buttons, writing appears on a screen just like this one, except somewhere else in town. Someone looking at that screen can then read what we're writing

>"yeah i could"
>"i dunno maybe let me get all the data. probably sell good."
>You try to explain how instant messaging works to Stargazer. The concept of writing confuses her.

>_

« Reply #498 on: July 04, 2010, 02:55:11 AM »
>"Well, if you were along for the ride, I'm not sure I would be in a position to stop you from copying whatever data you wanted, anyway."

>Try to explain to Stargazer that these symbols here (ie: letters) contain messages. If a person knows how to understand them, looking at them is the same as directly communicating with the person that made them, kind of like we're doing now

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #499 on: July 04, 2010, 03:09:03 AM »
>"Well, if you were along for the ride, I'm not sure I would be in a position to stop you from copying whatever data you wanted, anyway."

>Try to explain to Stargazer that these symbols here (ie: letters) contain messages. If a person knows how to understand them, looking at them is the same as directly communicating with the person that made them, kind of like we're doing now

>"okay but you can't do nothing with it is the thing. cant sell whats already out there"
>You try to explain the concept of representing sounds with symbols, and lose her pretty quickly. She's still not used to the idea of words, it seems. But she seems to be  willing to accept what you're doing on faith.

>_

« Reply #500 on: July 04, 2010, 03:13:20 AM »
>"Oh, yeah, I see. I hadn't considered that angle. But yeah, that seems possible. I'll let you mull it over, and I'll try to come up with a plan to get the ID in the first place."

>To Parsee: "You know, it's amazing the things you take for granted until you have to try and explain them to someone who doesn't understand any of them."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #501 on: July 04, 2010, 03:26:39 AM »
>"Oh, yeah, I see. I hadn't considered that angle. But yeah, that seems possible. I'll let you mull it over, and I'll try to come up with a plan to get the ID in the first place."

>To Parsee: "You know, it's amazing the things you take for granted until you have to try and explain them to someone who doesn't understand any of them."

>"maybe ill let you have some if its good stuff. dunno. or a down payment. but I wanna see your plan first before I jack into anything"
>"Yeah, sounds like you're talking to a little kid," says Parsee.

>_

« Reply #502 on: July 04, 2010, 03:38:20 AM »
>"Understood. I wouldn't want anyone to do anything unless I felt we had a good chance of pulling it off. No point in barging in there and getting us all arrested or worse. I'll let you know when I've got something together."

>To Parsee: "Worse, really, in some ways. At least they understand what 'talking' means by the time you can actually talk to them. You see what I meant, earlier, about how 'different' she is, really?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #503 on: July 04, 2010, 03:41:05 AM »
>"Understood. I wouldn't want anyone to do anything unless I felt we had a good chance of pulling it off. No point in barging in there and getting us all arrested or worse. I'll let you know when I've got something together."

>To Parsee: "Worse, really, in some ways. At least they understand what 'talking' means by the time you can actually talk to them. You see what I meant, earlier, about how 'different' she is, really?"

>"right. ill be up all night. always am"
>Parsee nods. "So, you can't see her either, right?"

>_

« Reply #504 on: July 04, 2010, 03:47:58 AM »
>"Sure. Talk to you later."

>To Parsee:
>"Nope. I don't think I have any special ability to see her when other people can't. But I can feel her. She was curious, so I tried to explain. I'm not sure I accomplished too much, though."
>"Anyway, Ace may be able to help us once we're inside, but she can't help us actually get inside. We're going to have to figure out how to get past the doors and the guards on our own, sadly."
>"She also had a... condition on her assistance which I'm pretty sure you're not going to like. She wants to be able to sell information she gets out of that place... which means not posting it publicly beforehand. Can't sell someone what's already free."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #505 on: July 04, 2010, 03:56:15 AM »
>"Sure. Talk to you later."

>To Parsee:
>"Nope. I don't think I have any special ability to see her when other people can't. But I can feel her. She was curious, so I tried to explain. I'm not sure I accomplished too much, though."
>"Anyway, Ace may be able to help us once we're inside, but she can't help us actually get inside. We're going to have to figure out how to get past the doors and the guards on our own, sadly."
>"She also had a... condition on her assistance which I'm pretty sure you're not going to like. She wants to be able to sell information she gets out of that place... which means not posting it publicly beforehand. Can't sell someone what's already free."

>Ace doesn't reply, although she is still signed on.
>"What..." says Parsee, "She's...she's joking, right."

« Reply #506 on: July 04, 2010, 04:02:24 AM »
>"No, I'm pretty sure she's not. If selling information to people is her livelihood, I doubt she cares too much for any ideals of 'freedom of information'. What someone doesn't know, she can charge them for. Making every secret public is a good way to go out of business. I'm pretty sure the only reason she's even interested in helping is because of all the stuff she might be able to get her hands on."
>"For what it's worth, I don't like it, either."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #507 on: July 04, 2010, 04:14:16 AM »
>"No, I'm pretty sure she's not. If selling information to people is her livelihood, I doubt she cares too much for any ideals of 'freedom of information'. What someone doesn't know, she can charge them for. Making every secret public is a good way to go out of business. I'm pretty sure the only reason she's even interested in helping is because of all the stuff she might be able to get her hands on."
>"For what it's worth, I don't like it, either."

>"There's gotta be something else you can entice her with..." says Parsee.

>_

« Reply #508 on: July 04, 2010, 04:25:53 AM »
>"I'm not sure that there is. Nothing come to mind at the moment, anyway, but we'll have some time to think about it. Remember, we still need to find a way in there in the first place."

>"We have a couple layers of security to bypass. First we need a card that can open those restricted doors. If Okazki does work in there, she must have one. Now, finding a way to snatch it from her without her knowing is another matter. Is that the kind of thing someone would really leave unattended, anyway?"
>"And then, we still have to get past the gates, and the front desk, with real people at them. An ID that we look nothing like doesn't get us much, there. Although I suppose there might be some other way to slip past. I wonder if any of those cliche Hollywood guard distractions actually work in real life?"

>"You know, this would be so much more convenient if Stargazer here could make more things than just herself invisible..."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #509 on: July 04, 2010, 04:29:25 AM »
>"I'm not sure that there is. Nothing come to mind at the moment, anyway, but we'll have some time to think about it. Remember, we still need to find a way in there in the first place."

>"We have a couple layers of security to bypass. First we need a card that can open those restricted doors. If Okazki does work in there, she must have one. Now, finding a way to snatch it from her without her knowing is another matter. Is that the kind of thing someone would really leave unattended, anyway?"
>"And then, we still have to get past the gates, and the front desk, with real people at them. An ID that we look nothing like doesn't get us much, there. Although I suppose there might be some other way to slip past. I wonder if any of those cliche Hollywood guard distractions actually work in real life?"

>"You know, this would be so much more convenient if Stargazer here could make more things than just herself invisible..."

>"Yeah...yeah I guess," says Parsee.
>She nods along with your assessment of the situation. "Maybe we can mug her or something? And, can Stargazer do anything? She's been pretty useless, really."

>_