Author Topic: Okuu Quest Subsequently - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 78583 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Okuu Quest Subsequently - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #300 on: June 29, 2010, 05:20:43 AM »
>Splash a little water on our face
>"Well, let's go out and face the music. I wonder what neat stuff they've got tucked away in this place, anyway?"
>Leave the washroom

>You splash a little water on your face. You can see the vague outline of the spectral crow, perched placidly atop your hair bow, as you do so. It seems as oblivious to the world as it has in the past, and in every photograph.
>"Yeah. I'm going to try to keep a map in my head," says Parsee. "I'd try to snag a pen and paper on the way, but with the security and stuff, it'd be a problem."
>You leave the washroom, and Professor Okazaki leads you further inside. What will you be doing during this tour?

>_

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #301 on: June 29, 2010, 05:28:34 AM »
> Try to keep an eye out for anything that seems suspicious or dangerous. Try to see if we can feel any sense of "rightness" in anything in the area.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #302 on: June 29, 2010, 08:45:51 AM »
> Try to keep an eye out for anything that seems suspicious or dangerous. Try to see if we can feel any sense of "rightness" in anything in the area.

>You follow the professor inside, keeping an eye out for dangerous things and suspicious things.
>...It quickly becomes hard to concentrate on this. You quickly have your interested occupied by the Scanning Electron Microscope, and a few technicians using it to look at a piece of...something for age marks. And then there's the particle accelerator! Oh man, just getting near it makes you a bit giddy! Then there's all the crap you've never even heard of! Really, walking through here serves to remind you just how much you have to learn. Still, Professor Okazaki is pleased by some of your observations.
>Elsewhere in the facility, you are shown a section that look something like factory, or a machine shop. The professor explains that there is a lot of times when they require equipment that must be specially made, and have found it easier to produce such things themselves than to try to negotiate with outside corporations; especially since researchers can interact with the engineers. As well, it lets them make prototypes of proposed inventions with less hassle.
>While you are not shown them, the Professor mentions there are also various testing rooms on the upper floors, and well as some more mundane offices and engineering workstations. And some "boring, inelegant offices and file rooms that honestly should be elsewhere".
>There's quite of lot of things here that could be dangerous, honestly, if the people using them are careless. As far as suspicious things go, there are a few doors, marked with yellow and black bars, that are never mentioned in the tour. You notice they all have card readers, and rather serious-looking locks on them. At one point, you notice a lab-coated scientist type enter one; and see what looks like a stairway downwards for a brief moment.
>You don't sense anything particularly right here. But...you think maybe there is something important to this place? Or, perhaps, you're just a bit starstruck by actually being in a place where science goes down?
>About an hour passes, before you and Parsee find yourselves in the front office again.

>_

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #303 on: June 29, 2010, 01:46:30 PM »
> "That...  Was a pretty awesome tour."
> Try to calm down.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #304 on: June 29, 2010, 01:54:07 PM »
>Ask about what was down in that 'restricted' area, with the card locks and all

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #305 on: June 29, 2010, 06:06:43 PM »
> "That...  Was a pretty awesome tour."
> Try to calm down.

>The Professor has a good laugh. "Is there anything that may be elegantly revealed to you?"

>Ask about what was down in that 'restricted' area, with the card locks and all

>"Ah, I see you are most observant," says the Professor, "A very god trait, most useful. But, shamefully, your eyes have turned the wrong way. Such places, I cannot talk about. They are for research that is restricted even from the eyes of others that work here."

>_

« Reply #306 on: June 29, 2010, 06:14:27 PM »
>"Ah, shame. Must be some interesting stuff happening in there. I assume you must have some involvement in those projects?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #307 on: June 29, 2010, 06:21:55 PM »
>"Ah, shame. Must be some interesting stuff happening in there. I assume you must have some involvement in those projects?"

>"But of course!" says Professor Okazaki. "They would be lost with my exquisite guidance!"

>_

« Reply #308 on: June 29, 2010, 06:26:36 PM »
>"You sure you can't drop a harmless little hint or two? I'm really interested in some the work you do. Your reputation for brilliance proceeds you, after all. Something to aspire to."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #309 on: June 29, 2010, 06:37:05 PM »
>"You sure you can't drop a harmless little hint or two? I'm really interested in some the work you do. Your reputation for brilliance proceeds you, after all. Something to aspire to."

>"Of course it does," she replies, "Who can say they haven't heard of Professor Okazaki? But no, not even a hint, I fear."
>While you try to get more information out of the Professor, Parsee reclaims her purse and goes through it, while the rather annoyed-looking woman at the desk watches on.

>_

« Reply #310 on: June 29, 2010, 06:41:12 PM »
>"Well, thanks very much for the tour. I really enjoyed it. I can only hope that if I work hard enough, I'll get to use some of this stuff here myself, one day."
>Reclaim our stuff

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #311 on: June 29, 2010, 06:51:23 PM »
>"Well, thanks very much for the tour. I really enjoyed it. I can only hope that if I work hard enough, I'll get to use some of this stuff here myself, one day."
>Reclaim our stuff

>"It is my greatest pleasure to excite minds such as yourself," says the Professor. "You must do your best if you wish to be able to join us here!"
>You reclaim your stuff. At a glance, it doesn't seem to be messed with. Parsee appears to be grudgingly satisfied that her things have not been tampered with.

>_

« Reply #312 on: June 29, 2010, 06:54:13 PM »
>"Oh, I will. I wouldn't be aiming for this if my heart wasn't into it."
>"Well, I guess that's it, then. Unless there was anything else you wanted to show me?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #313 on: June 29, 2010, 07:27:44 PM »
>"Oh, I will. I wouldn't be aiming for this if my heart wasn't into it."
>"Well, I guess that's it, then. Unless there was anything else you wanted to show me?"

>She reclaims her own things, and heads for the door. "Alas, there is nothing more to show you."

>_

« Reply #314 on: June 29, 2010, 07:29:31 PM »
>Follow along and exit the building

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #315 on: June 29, 2010, 07:38:22 PM »
> Thank the Prof for the tour.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #316 on: June 29, 2010, 07:49:13 PM »
>Follow along and exit the building

>You and Parsee hurry after the Professor. As you walk back to the guard station, the Professor tells you about the qualifications you would need to actually be accepted to work here; the amount of credit hours needed in various subjects. The amount of math leaves a significant damper on your current enthusiasm.
>Soon, you reach the guard station and pass through it with no difficulties. "Now, you must remember," says Professor Okazaki, "It is our little secret that we allowed your paramour to come with us, yes?"

> Thank the Prof for the tour.

>"Think nothing of it," she says. "After all, It is overtime pay as far as I am concerned."

>_

>_

« Reply #317 on: June 29, 2010, 07:54:06 PM »
>"No worries. My lips are sealed."
>Wave goodbye
>Walk off with Parsee

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #318 on: June 29, 2010, 08:17:04 PM »
>"No worries. My lips are sealed."
>Wave goodbye
>Walk off with Parsee

>You depart, waving.
>"Utsuho," says Parsee, "I need your notebook. Now."

>_

« Reply #319 on: June 29, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »
>Hand her the notebook

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #320 on: June 29, 2010, 08:19:17 PM »
> "Hm?"
> Give notebook to Parsee
> ...Try to glance around for anything that seems odd again, but try to make it look casual.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #321 on: June 29, 2010, 08:21:54 PM »
> "Hm?"
> Give notebook for Parsee
> ...Try to glance around for anything that seems odd again, but try to make it look casual.

>You give her a notebook.
>"Thanks," she says, taking the notebook. She opens to a blank page, and furiously begins to scribble down things.
>You look around causally, and don't see anything out of place.

>_

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #322 on: June 29, 2010, 08:23:39 PM »
> Watch as Parsee writes

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #323 on: June 29, 2010, 08:26:54 PM »
> "You noticed something off didn't you?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #324 on: June 29, 2010, 08:39:48 PM »
> Watch as Parsee writes

>You quickly see she is writing a bunch of apparent gibberish, mixing English and Japanese freely. There are abbreviations and odd sentence structures everywhere.

> "You noticed something off didn't you?"

>"I'm trying to write down everything I can before I forget it!" she says. "This is going straight into Wikileaks when I get home."

>_

« Reply #325 on: June 29, 2010, 08:42:26 PM »
>"Um, I can barely make out anything you're writing. I hope you intend to actually explain this to me in words I can understand, later."
>"And what exactly are you planning on leaking? The only thing secret I saw was something we know nothing at all about. Or did you notice something I didn't?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #326 on: June 29, 2010, 08:48:31 PM »
>"Um, I can barely make out anything you're writing. I hope you intend to actually explain this to me in words I can understand, later."
>"And what exactly are you planning on leaking? The only thing secret I saw was something we know nothing at all about. Or did you notice something I didn't?"

>"It's shorthand," she says, scribbling away.
>"Layout, contents, everything I can," she says. "Who knows what might be useful or important?"

>_

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #327 on: June 29, 2010, 08:51:02 PM »
> "Um... Could you maybe not leak it just yet? It just doesn't feel quite right, and why does it need to be put up for everyone to see to be useful anyway...?"

« Reply #328 on: June 29, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
>"Well, that's true, I suppose. But I guess nothing obviously important jumped out at you that I didn't recognize? Kinda got my hopes up there for a minute. The tour was both less menacing, and less informative than I was expecting. Well, actually, all the science-y stuff was totally cool. But that wasn't exactly what I came here for tonight. I suppose it's good that my cover story is still 100% credible, at least."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #329 on: June 29, 2010, 09:21:25 PM »
>"Well, that's true, I suppose. But I guess nothing obviously important jumped out at you that I didn't recognize? Kinda got my hopes up there for a minute. The tour was both less menacing, and less informative than I was expecting. Well, actually, all the science-y stuff was totally cool. But that wasn't exactly what I came here for tonight. I suppose it's good that my cover story is still 100% credible, at least."

>"Security cameras everywhere, those doors you asked about..." says Parsee, not looking at you. "And the fact that clearly not all of the staff are allowed in on it, when it's already a guarded and secret facility. That strikes me as very omnious."

> "Um... Could you maybe not leak it just yet? It just doesn't feel quite right, and why does it need to be put up for everyone to see to be useful anyway...?"

>"Why does it need to be hidden?" asks Parsee. "What gives some institute more rights than an actual human being? No, this is going up right away."

>_