Author Topic: Three Daily Touhou Bests!  (Read 145441 times)

Bananamatic

Re: Three Daily Touhou Bests!
« Reply #900 on: January 28, 2010, 12:44:48 AM »
No. That is stupid and horrible game design.

Also a TLB is taunting anyone who isn't good enough to reach it. >_>
Which makes them get better and reach it.
In the end, everyone wins.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #901 on: January 28, 2010, 12:46:59 AM »

So pretty much every extra stage ever.

Yes, I've cleared a few of those myself, but I am under no illusions that everyone can do the same. Some people are just really bad at danmaku, and they'll never see all the characters in-game that they've seen in fanart.

Banana: That's another possible outcome, and the ideal one. But don't fool yourself into thinking that everyone can do that. I've known people that worked their asses off to beat IN easy (for some reason, they're usually artists; writers and artists tend to be REALLY bad at danmaku, I've noticed), and that's fine with me. Not everyone is meant to be a danmaku player, after all.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #902 on: January 28, 2010, 12:49:47 AM »
Extra bosses do this too; the only difference is that an Extra boss requires less skill than this hypothetical TLB. It would be the logical next step (or few steps) up. :V Come to think of it, I'm extremely curious what a Touhou TLB would be like, since I've only ever seen the Cave variety...

[Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.]

Damnit, Ruro. :<

Still, I agree with Banana - it's something to strive for above beating the same bosses over again with more, faster bullets.
Let's fight.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #903 on: January 28, 2010, 12:52:28 AM »
Well, SOME people get really angry if you assume that people will get better to achieve the goal. Sure that's the intention, but...
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #904 on: January 28, 2010, 12:59:18 AM »
Oh yeah, a Phantasm Stage that's not Extra + faster bullets. That's why Yukari's usually regarded as so easy considering her position as "Phantasm boss;" basically everything you learned while fighting Ran applies to her.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #905 on: January 28, 2010, 01:31:47 AM »
I've known people that worked their asses off to beat IN easy (for some reason, they're usually artists; writers and artists tend to be REALLY bad at danmaku, I've noticed), and that's fine with me. Not everyone is meant to be a danmaku player, after all.
Hey, I've been writing for years and I'm pretty good at Danmaku.  Not Lunatic-clearing (yet), but I'm working on Hard and have come very close to several Hard 1ccs and almost cleared every Windows Extra at this point (KOISHI RAGE)...

...Also I love that the opener for this question mentions Genetos, considering I just beat that on Creator with an S+ while recording and am uploading that now (very very slowly D: )... but yeah.  I really like the idea of an adjustable Stage Practice, considering that, for instance, always starting stage 6 in UFO at exactly 2 power is... highly unrealistic considering it's always either 1 or 4 for me @_@

My personal thoughts:

*I actually liked the UFO gimmick.  One of the reasons I don't like MoF that much is that there's no real reward for risky playing (Grazing), and UFO rewarded you for risky playing in two ways (UFOs and Graze Bonuses).  I like a scoring system that rewards you more and more for playing riskier and riskier.
*More bloody unlockables!  I know it sounds bad but really I'd like to have a return of Last Words or extra characters or an extra extra stage or something.  Having the game deliberately reward you for doing stuff you might not normally strive to do is always encouraging (so long as its not a tedious task).
*I want to fight another player character during the next one.  Whether this means Phantasmagoria or just a 4/8-style "Vs. Other Protagonist" match, I don't care.  I want a variable boss battle.

ebarrett

« Reply #906 on: January 28, 2010, 02:25:43 AM »
writers and artists tend to be REALLY bad at danmaku
Lunatic writer/artist here. Daytime job at the bank is an accident, honest.

UFO rewarded you for risky playing
Wrong, UFO kicks you in the teeth, then kicks you in the teeth again, then it kicks your dog. In the teeth. And then that red UFO fragment changes to blue. And kicks you in the teeth.

What would you most like to see in Touhou 13?
IKU

Failing that: another Phantasmagoria, or another Shoot the Bullet.

Hideki

• ~La, la, la~
  • Texas Chensaw Massacre
« Reply #907 on: January 28, 2010, 03:25:01 AM »
I'd like to have IN's you-can-get-good-end-on-easy-mode to return.  I can't 1CC any of the games on normal, yet I want to see the true endings.  That's how I usually play games; go through easy mode for the story, then try harder levels for challenging gameplay.  Having to play through the game multiple times just to see the end is really frustrating.

Badass bookworms

« Reply #908 on: January 28, 2010, 03:35:00 AM »
I'd like to have IN's you-can-get-good-end-on-easy-mode to return.  I can't 1CC any of the games on normal, yet I want to see the true endings.  That's how I usually play games; go through easy mode for the story, then try harder levels for challenging gameplay.  Having to play through the game multiple times just to see the end is really frustrating.

You can get Good Ends on Easy Mode with SA and UFO... D:
and PoFV, and maybe PCB too.

nintendonut888

« Reply #909 on: January 28, 2010, 03:37:04 AM »
You can good good endings on every game's easy mode except for LLS, EoSD, and MoF. It's just that you can't unlock extra on any game past IN on easy mode. :\ I see why ZUN does it, but it does obviously cause frustration to those who can't 1cc normal.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #910 on: January 28, 2010, 03:40:59 AM »
To be fair, if you can only 1cc Easy, you don't stand a chance in an Extra Stage :V

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #911 on: January 28, 2010, 03:52:04 AM »
What I want in Touhou 13? Byakuren replacing Reimu as the main character~ *brutally shot, stabbed, and overall mutilated until nothing is left by Reimu fans*

>.<

Maybe also spell practice like in IN, supernatural borders like in PCB, but less game breaking *glances back at Prismriver fight that is easier on Lunatic than Normal* and... Not really sure what else.

Really, as long as it has awesome music, and isnt as UTTERLY STUPID as UFO, I dont have a problem. The UFO system feels like fake difficulty to me, and it is hair-tearingly difficult... Though part of me does like the idea of having somewhere else to go once the other games get easy.

...Actually, one thing I would find interesting to see would be a special mode where enemies have all have more spellcards, for longer, more epic battles. And of course, music that takes account for the length of those battles in that mode, rather than having < 1 minute long tracks on stage 1 bosses  :'(

Formless God

« Reply #912 on: January 28, 2010, 05:07:10 AM »
writers and artists tend to be REALLY bad at danmaku, I've noticed)

>:(

[ruro]Emka says hi.[/ruro]

and that's fine with me. Not everyone is meant to be a danmaku player, after all.

No, all you need is practice :V

[ruro]Emka says hi again.[/ruro]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 11:29:35 PM by 桜 るろうに »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #913 on: January 28, 2010, 05:12:02 AM »
PoDD Hard is surprisingly easy.  And it gave me an idea!

EDIT: goddamnit
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:18:26 AM by theshim »

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #914 on: January 28, 2010, 05:13:41 AM »
Hasn't this been asked before?

I think my answer was Shikieiki's last time. If it wasn't, then I changed my mind.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #915 on: January 28, 2010, 05:16:40 AM »
Hasn't this been asked before?

Yes, I believe it has.

theshirn

« Reply #916 on: January 28, 2010, 05:17:48 AM »
bugger bugger buggerall

it was "accessory" last time and I wasn't here

you all suck

brb thinking up new question

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

theshirn

« Reply #917 on: January 28, 2010, 05:23:02 AM »
ye'll pay fer this

Who is your favorite animal-type youkai?

I'm going to go with Utsuho for this one.  Quoth Chernobyl-tan "nevermore".

COPIRIGHTO

• Hello I'm Kaguya
  • and I'm a LOOONEY
« Reply #918 on: January 28, 2010, 05:24:44 AM »
Orin, Nazrin, Momiji, and Chen

« Reply #919 on: January 28, 2010, 05:25:27 AM »
Utsuho

nintendonut888

« Reply #920 on: January 28, 2010, 05:28:27 AM »
Neko Miko Reimu

Genji, since nobody else is an animal-type :V

Ran.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #921 on: January 28, 2010, 05:30:44 AM »
Momiji~<3

Honorable mentions to Chen, Ran, Orin, and Utsuho.

Amazing, my favorites happen to be the ones that usually maul me in-game

ebarrett

« Reply #922 on: January 28, 2010, 05:35:41 AM »
Ran.

« Reply #923 on: January 28, 2010, 05:37:20 AM »
Orin or Ran.  Can't really decide.

Formless God

« Reply #924 on: January 28, 2010, 05:50:21 AM »
Nekoishi.

And Orin and Momiji.

theshirn

« Reply #925 on: January 28, 2010, 05:51:26 AM »

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #926 on: January 28, 2010, 05:53:02 AM »
I sure hope Nitori counts.

If that doesn't work, Utsuho.

TL777 ✌

• Fuwa fuwa desu~~~
  • Do you know what time it is?
« Reply #927 on: January 28, 2010, 05:53:59 AM »
Chen and Utsuho

theshirn

« Reply #928 on: January 28, 2010, 05:54:30 AM »
I sure hope Nitori counts.
I wouldn't think so.  Kappa are specifically mythological anyway.

« Reply #929 on: January 28, 2010, 05:56:14 AM »
So are Yatagarasu :V

Edit: Oh hey, Opera's spell checker thinks Yatagarasu is a mispelling of either Stratagem, Parasitology, Protagoras or Categorize