Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread (LOOK HERE OR DIE)  (Read 202564 times)

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread (LOOK HERE OR DIE)
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2010, 12:51:14 AM »
I have a question...Is Utusho supposedly stupid for a reason other than being a "bird", was she dropped on the head as a baby? Ravens are actually pretty smart, and I don't just mean compared to other birds, they're like dolphins where people debate if they are more intelligent than humans and whatnot. Even simple crows are pretty darn smart compared to most animals (and not just birds).

I see many questions relating to Utsuho and stupidity, but other than the fact that she's officially stupid (By ZUN) people suggest some of the following...

*WARNING!!: all of the following are POSSIBILITIES and if somebody says  "ZUN may have "unintentionally" made Utsuho stupid." there is no counter.*

1)Maybe she's smart but doesn't like using her head.
This is something that was suggested by people who said that "Although she's supposed to be stupid she uses lots of complex words and understands stuff like nuclear fusion." Also from her conversations on the .txt she sounds as if she doesn't think too deeply on what she's goig to do. So maybe she is not stupid but maybe a bit too lazy to think properly...

2)Maybe she is mentally challenged?
She can only vaguely remember the god that gave her the power of nuclear fusion... (Not to mention one of them having A large shimenawa and multiple onbashiras on her back)
Also, in 12.3 she said "Oh it's a Miko, I can't tell the difference between them" to Reimu or Sanae when she wins against either... Not being able to tell the difference (Unless she was intentionally mocking Reimu or Sanae which I doubt from her personality.) Yet she also thinks up of stuff like metal fixing using her powers (When she wins against Youmu). Maybe she has mental problems? Something like Dementia?

3)Political references?
Think back to the time when SA was made, -although it was always a problem- the problem of some countries stating their right of possession of Nuclear weapons and some countries actually arming them selves with them (Not to mention missile tests going on at the same time.) In the music room ZUN comments " I understand very well that even a fool that possesses great power can't cause too much harm. Ah, even if it's the power of dreams. " (Extract from Touhou wiki) So some people imagine Utsuho's stupidity being a small joke towards the politics concerning nuclear weapons. (Although there's nothing about ZUN saying yes or no to Nuclear weapons)

There are other suggestions like; since ZUN makes his music first, since the music sounded a bit light headed Utsuho became a stupid character, or there being a Japanese equivalent of the word "Bird brain" (quite literally) but those are some of the "stronger" arguments for her stupidity. ... I can't cite where all of these were from since I did half by my memory on what was happening on 2ch, NicoNico thread ...etc.  But that's all that I can say for the hell crow that I like so much.

Apologies to make it such a long reply, and to Utsuho for not being able to find too many counter arguments...

P.S. Quite recently, I saw someone say,
"It's like Utsuho has a really awesome video card, but she lacks CPU ans RAM."-Random NicoNico person
I thought this was a cleaver way of explaining it, so, I squeezed it in here.

P.S. As for the question by Thundr_Pwnage
I'm sorry but I don't know much except for the facts that:
-It does not work well (or at all) with .jpg
-It has to do with the first colour (top left) on your colour palette you can edit this using specific software. (Photoshop probably works)
-formats like .bmp saves colour pallete information.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:04:10 AM by Sabino »

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2010, 02:25:15 AM »
I think it may also be based on the fact that half her nonspells are easier to dodge than even Kisume's. Someone who's smart wouldn't just fire out perfectly straight streams of bullets. A lot of her spells just rely on being freaking huge rather than having complex patterns, as well.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2010, 02:28:24 AM »
In the music room ZUN comments " I understand very well that even a fool that possesses great power can't cause too much harm. Ah, even if it's the power of dreams. " (Extract from Touhou wiki) So some people imagine Utsuho's stupidity being a small joke towards the politics concerning nuclear weapons. (Although there's nothing about ZUN saying yes or no to Nuclear weapons)

I have a feeling people just went "ZOMG ZUN CALLED A CHARACTER A FOOL IN CANON" and everyone jumped all over it. With the vague amount of details about a character's personality, you have to jump on every little tidbit you get. Kinda like the whole "Cirno ----> Baka" thing.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2010, 04:06:10 AM »
One can't deny that her "stupid" personality is official by 12.3 -- in the fight with Sanae, she remembers nothing about Kanako and Suwako, she forgets that she'd been fighting Sanae right after the battle ends, and believes Sanae when the latter tells her, "You were listening to my orders and helping me with my investigation of this reactor."

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2010, 02:58:25 PM »
One can't deny that her "stupid" personality is official by 12.3 -- in the fight with Sanae, she remembers nothing about Kanako and Suwako, she forgets that she'd been fighting Sanae right after the battle ends, and believes Sanae when the latter tells her, "You were listening to my orders and helping me with my investigation of this reactor."

Wow. Just, wow. Even Cirno isn't THAT gullible and idiotic. What does Utsuho have? ADD combined with short term memory loss? Maybe with some autism thrown in for good measure... No wonder Rin keeps such a watchful eye on her 24/7.

Now I feel really sad for Okuu :(

« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2010, 07:38:34 PM »
Yeah ... in Cirno's scenario, after the fight, she fires off an attack as Cirno flees in a cutscene, then assumes she must have vaporized Cirno.

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2010, 12:10:22 AM »
Guys, don't mean to intrude, but this is not the "Is Utsuho Autistic?" thread. This is a miscellaneous questions thread. So please keep said discussion in a separate thread. The button is right outside. Thank you.

EDIT: What I'm saying is the question is answered, we don't need to post examples. Also, I understand I'm no mod.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:13:25 AM by Thundr_Pwnage »

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2010, 12:22:35 AM »
Guys, don't mean to intrude, but this is not the "Is Utsuho Autistic?"

That's not what they were debating anyway.  Autistic =/= stupid.  Ahem.

But yeah, she's dumb.  As pointed out above, her dialogue in 12.3 confirms this beyond any doubt.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2010, 06:07:04 PM »
Question: What do we know about the Watatsuki sisters danmaku-wise? Like spell cards, favored bullets, and how their abilities are used to create danmaku?

« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2010, 06:42:01 PM »
We know they don't actually like using danmaku or Spell Cards.

Drake

« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2010, 07:01:06 PM »
oh i wonder what onthenet's up to

Just from gut feelings, I would say Yorihime uses arrowheads and stars. Probably some knives, and maybe ringed bullets. Toyohime probably uses bubbles and stars. Lasers as well, and for some reason I'm thinking the double-line bullets from PC98.

I'm good at this game

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Moerin

« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2010, 07:18:14 PM »
We know they don't actually like using danmaku or Spell Cards.

More like they didn't know how to use them at the time.  Whether that's changed since then, however...

Ahem.  But I would think that Yori's spellcards would likely be based upon the gods she channels in SSiB, or Shinto gods in general.  As for Toyo... Um... Well, at the very least there'd be one based on her fan, I guess.

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2010, 08:46:28 PM »
More like they didn't know how to use them at the time.  Whether that's changed since then, however...

Definite no. Despite their brief trip to Earth, there is really no reason for them to come to Gensokyo long enough to get in a fight.

Even then, chances are they'd rather just break the rules for the hell of it and cause Reimu trouble. Danmaku is really a Gensokyo thing, so there isn't a good reason for them to EVER learn how to use it.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if its considered a -joke- up there. 'What? They fight with flashy lights! Bahahahaha! Man, Truly, We only haven't conquered them because EARTH SUCKS LOL'.

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »
Definite no. Despite their brief trip to Earth, there is really no reason for them to come to Gensokyo long enough to get in a fight.

Even then, chances are they'd rather just break the rules for the hell of it and cause Reimu trouble. Danmaku is really a Gensokyo thing, so there isn't a good reason for them to EVER learn how to use it.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if its considered a -joke- up there. 'What? They fight with flashy lights! Bahahahaha! Man, Truly, We only haven't conquered them because EARTH SUCKS LOL'.

A slight correction:
Danmaku is "Little girl's play" thus it is questionable whether men in gensokyo fight with danmaku or not.

« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2010, 02:49:36 AM »
What's the HTML code for keeping to the forum's standards? IIRC, there was a new rule about sending images, correct?

Am I posting in the right area? I'm not sure myself.
"... but what is certain is that the average consumer will continue to rest easy on his Record of Agarest War pillow case knowing that his games will continue to be packaged with things that he will never look at or use" - Jeremy Petter - ENN

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2010, 02:53:28 AM »
There's a auto-thumbnail option in the works, but it isn't implemented. For now either use the attach function in the 'additional options...' right below the text entry box(not sure if that's available to standard members though), or use something like Imageshack, Photobucket, or Tinypic. All three of those have a 'post thumbnail' option.

« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2010, 03:02:07 AM »
Thanks. Also I wanted to ask what does the different colors in the avatar name mean.

Example: The recently "snowballed" user, Kitean Silva, color is black. What does the color symbolize?

Another example would "Nobusan" is green color.
"... but what is certain is that the average consumer will continue to rest easy on his Record of Agarest War pillow case knowing that his games will continue to be packaged with things that he will never look at or use" - Jeremy Petter - ENN

jigglyppuff8

• Speed Anime Trance 8
  • Alco Dolce
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2010, 03:48:09 AM »
This thread gives a rundown on the different colors and tags.

« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2010, 04:32:18 AM »
If Remilia is a vampire, and vampires cannot have reflections, why does Remilia have a reflection in the SDM in Hisoutensokou?

« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2010, 06:28:27 AM »
If Remilia is a vampire, and vampires cannot have reflections, why does Remilia have a reflection in the SDM in Hisoutensokou?
Apparently, in the Touhouverse, yes they do.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »
I was wondering, just how much does Kanako effect Gensokyo directly and/or indirectly?

OkashiiKisei

« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2010, 08:45:27 PM »
There is something of which I can't find the answer of anywhere, even after scoring both Touhou Wiki, Perfect Memento and Danbooru Wiki. I still don't understand it:

What's with Chen and oni's? I frequently see Chen commanding a pair of huge red and blue oni's that appear from nowhere. Chen's powers are only called 'black magic', and her profile doesn't state anything about it involving oni minions. It looks like a pretty powerful skill, yet Chen isn't the really 'strongest' so to say. Where did this Chen + Oni idea originate from, and does it have some link to the main series? I first thought it was just artist improvisation, but after seeing so many artists drawing Chen with the oni's (even the author of Touhou Tag Dream!) I just can't help but ask where in the world those oni's came from.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »
Oni Sign "Blue Oni Red Oni" is Chen's first spell card in Perfect Cherry Blossom's Extra stage.

Drake

« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2010, 12:44:47 AM »
I was wondering, just how much does Kanako effect Gensokyo directly and/or indirectly?
Well, she was directly and indirectly the instigator of the past three games' plots.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2010, 05:50:25 AM »

In terms of faith, Kanako's Moriya shrine and Byakuren's Myorenji have most of gensokyo's faith.
... Reimu... ;_;

Chen and oni's

Also, on touhou motoneta Wiki it says that chen is a shikigami fitted (possessed) with a onigami/kishin(鬼神). (Thus she can use that spell card?)
The origins to the spell card is thought to come from Zenki(前鬼) and Goki(後鬼) that guarded En no Ozuno. -the originator of Shugendou-
These two Onis appear in Ran's version of that spell card.
(Was it Oni Sign "Zenki and Goki's gurad" or something like that?)

...Well... at least that's one theory.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 05:55:23 AM by Sabino »

OkashiiKisei

« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2010, 09:50:07 PM »
Alright, another question:

Alice keeps boasting about how she is the 'seven-colored puppeteer', and because she has so many colors on her she's (according to her own power theory) extremely powerful.
But how can she say she has all the seven colors of the rainbow if she only dresses in red, blue and white? That's only three colors. Four if you count her blond hair as yellow. Her black doesn't count, since that isn't an actual color. Infact, she doesn't even use that much rainbow attacks. Most of her attacks are blue or red, and involve her dolls. She has only three or something multi colored attacks, and they aren't even that spectacular.
Tenshi and Flandre are the only ones with all seven colors. Shouldn't one of them get the 'seven-colored' title? And Meiling's entire move set revolves around rainbows, even moreso than Marisa. Hell, Marisa's motto is 'if it isn't flashy, it isn't magic'.
Alice can't get away with saying that she's the seven-colored puppeteer because she wears white (all colors combined), because if that were the case why isn't she completely draped in white? Reimu and Marisa actually wear more white than Alice! And yet Alice says their colors are inferior. She doesn't have dolls of every color either, opting to use only black, red and blue instead.

Is Alice color-blind or something?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:39:13 PM by OkashiiNaito »

Moerin

« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2010, 10:15:53 PM »
I think it's more metaphorical than literal.  Either that, or it's because her eyes change colour with every game she's in~

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2010, 10:23:06 PM »
I don't think there's a 'Title Review Board' that hands out titles, more likely titles that they've picked up or chosen by themselves. She has certain colors she uses more than others like Blue and Red, but she uses... 9-10 or more colors in PCB alone? Blue, aqua, red, purple, orange, yellow, white, green, lime green.. That's still pretty impressive. :p The colors of the rainbow + an extra green.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2010, 12:28:45 AM »
Also, on touhou motoneta Wiki it says that chen is a shikigami fitted (possessed) with a onigami/kishin(鬼神). (Thus she can use that spell card?)
The origins to the spell card is thought to come from Zenki(前鬼) and Goki(後鬼) that guarded En no Ozuno. -the originator of Shugendou-
These two Onis appear in Ran's version of that spell card.
(Was it Oni Sign "Zenki and Goki's gurad" or something like that?)

...Well... at least that's one theory.
Another possible reference is to personality types (WARNING: time sink black hole).
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2010, 03:27:21 PM »
Alright, another question:

Her attacks are mainly concerning dolls, but that's only because she likes to use dolls to do practically anything. It has been stated in media other than the games (books, interviews, etc.) that Alice can preform many other forms of magic, so the "7 colored" is a metaphor on all the different types of magic Alice can preform.
(She can probably do some stuff -if not most- like Marisa, but while Marisa's motto "Danmaku is Power!" clashes with Alice's motto "Danmaku is brains." Alice will probably never use flashy and powerful danmaku like Marisa.)
They also use a similar metaphor in comparing the Alice users in Hisouten and Hisoutensoku, since they call people who can fight with one type of strategy as a "single colored Alice" but a player that uses many different strategies for Alice "the seven colored Alice" :)
Also when speaking bout Alice, you must remember that she also has her Grimoire, and who knows what she can do if she decides to release the full power of that!

Another possible reference is to personality types (WARNING: time sink black hole).

I'm really curious where the person who wrote that got his references, and wondering if he ever read the Japanease folklore The Red Oni that cried. ... well, shure in that story, the Red one was the one who cried... but I still think there's more to be said than than that...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:32:13 PM by Sabino »