Author Topic: Fallout 4 is finally happening  (Read 9503 times)

MatsuriSakuragi

Fallout 4 is finally happening
« on: June 03, 2015, 02:29:59 PM »
I know a few people here would be interested in this.

But then again, those who are probably already know.

I might look into it, but history has shown that I can't stick to long-term commitment games like these. :V

Re: Fallout 4 is finally happening
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 02:57:29 PM »

I'm pretty excited, man.

EDIT: And apparently it's in Boston, which means I get to scope out what bits of the game actually look like Boston. Yay.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 03:04:36 PM by Sectnado »

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 03:07:39 PM »
DOG IS HERO

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 03:09:58 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah what are you kidding me? Post-nuclear Boston?

I was born ready!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 03:12:06 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah what are you kidding me? Post-nuclear Boston?

I was born ready!
Which means MIT shenanigans and androids. Yay~

EDIT: And yes, it is in Boston: despite living here nearly a year I am shockingly unacquainted with the city, but things seen in the trailer include the USS Constitution, the Paul Revere statue, and the capitol building.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 03:20:21 PM by Sectnado »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 03:23:17 PM »
I'm pretty excited, man.

EDIT: And apparently it's in Boston, which means I get to scope out what bits of the game actually look like Boston. Yay.
SO MUCH BOSTON!

Hello! As one of the resident Boston denizens (well, a suburb 10 miles away), I noticed the following landmarks all gussied up Fallout style in the trailer:

Quincy Market, a very popular place to eat due to the number of kiosks and types of food available, pops up at 1:37. There are probably still people stubbornly looking for a place to sit for a group of 8. Fools!

The world's oldest navy vessel that is still a part of the navy, the USS Constitution is found at 1:39.

Good ol' #4 Yawkey Way is featured at 1:50. This is backed up with the lights visible on the top right of the next shot as the camera pans up. Good times never seemed so good.   

Statue of Paul Revere in at 1:56 can be seen alongside with a building style found just about anywhere throughout Boston. Lots of brick, many older ones feature angled roofs because of snow, etc.

Massachusetts State House at 2:04.

No Prudential Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Longwood, or any universities including the infamous Institute so far. There are many other locations that would be worth including, too. The rather idyllic suburbs featured throughout the trailer are a dead ringer for the wealthy Metro West suburbs with their rolling hills. Dogmeat and the new hero even appear to be west of town as well.

This is fantastic. I might do a bit of a pilgrimage (HURR) once the game is released and post photos of the actual real world places found in the game.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 03:24:55 PM »
Running theory is that it's more Fallout: New England than Boston, but Boston certainly appears to be the centerpiece.

Reddyne

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 03:50:19 PM »
Running theory is that it's more Fallout: New England than Boston, but Boston certainly appears to be the centerpiece.
Yeah. FO3 featured a whole lot more than DC, which was maybe a 10th of the whole map. Even then it was mostly a walled off section with a giant maze of metro tunnels and then a handful of landmarks piled on top of each other. It may be a bit much to ask for things to extend up to Maine or down to Cape Cod. There's nothing west of Worcester either so I think that's at least the western limit.

First noticeable difference between this and the other two Bethesda era Fallouts is that there are so many buildings of a variety of shapes and sizes and colors. So much of FO3 and NV was dead space with occasional structures that only partially stood out from the number or building husks and piles of rebar and detritus. FO4 may actually cover less geographical area but may feature a whole slew of places to explore.

On a stupid note, the Vault 111 jumpsuit doesn't appear to be made of denim like it sorta seemed to be in a couple other games. That oughta save some cosplayers time, money, sewing needles, and around 10 gallons of sweat. :V

Tengukami

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 04:08:03 PM »
Kinda hoping Salem's witches get incorporated into this somehow. Or at least, some kind of remote enclave in the grips of a paranoid mass hysteria. Like the Republic of Dave, only with Cotton Mathers.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 04:23:04 PM »
I wonder if the devs had the time they needed to work on this game this time around, Fallout NV did have 8 months less of dev time than it needed afaik.

That said, I am pretty hyped, I finished my 100% FO:NV playthrough not too long ago (DLCs included) and it was pretty fun, even if I had to deal with a few annoying bugs along the way.

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
  • in the emptiness of reason.
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 04:52:01 PM »
Awesome, yo. Even so, I'm going to wait for the GOTY edition with all the DLC. I mean, I don't see why there wouldn't be DLC for it. Also, patches. Holy crap, New Vegas was messed-up in the pre-DLC days.
I need an option, a reason, and some hope.

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 05:13:27 PM »
How come the prerendered CG trailer looks about as bad as Skyrim in real time?

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 05:28:29 PM »
How come the prerendered CG trailer looks about as bad as Skyrim in real time?
I think that's the in game engine, not prerendered.

EDIT: So, something I'm wondering about: is that the Brotherhood of Steel we're seeing, Vault-Tec power armor, or something MIT whipped up? I don't think the BoS has the ability to penetrate the Commonwealth in universe, since they're fairly literally decimated in the West following their war with the NCR, hunkered down and busy with the Capitol Wasteland in the East, and, if Tactics is canon, busy being warlords in the Mid-West. It's possible that they have the Capitol Wasteland settled to the point that Lyons is sending folks up north, but...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:37:08 PM by Sectnado »

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 06:09:58 PM »
I think that's the in game engine, not prerendered.

EDIT: So, something I'm wondering about: is that the Brotherhood of Steel we're seeing, Vault-Tec power armor, or something MIT whipped up? I don't think the BoS has the ability to penetrate the Commonwealth in universe, since they're fairly literally decimated in the West following their war with the NCR, hunkered down and busy with the Capitol Wasteland in the East, and, if Tactics is canon, busy being warlords in the Mid-West. It's possible that they have the Capitol Wasteland settled to the point that Lyons is sending folks up north, but...

FO3's devs said that tactics is non-canon, but there is a mention of a "Chicago-based brotherhood" in FO3.

Here is the cited source on wikipedia and the exact line is:

"For our purposes, neither Fallout Tactics nor Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel happened."

'Course, idk how reliable gamespy is as a source but...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:12:01 PM by Toyosatomimi No Sacchi »

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 10:40:28 PM »
I actually picked up Fallout 3 for PC on sale when I first heard about the announcement (I'd played it on PS3 before). Definitely going to do a mental-refresh run for the next few weekends. If 4 is directly connected to 3 in any way, I don't want to miss it.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 11:18:25 PM »
I sincerely hope they learned more from New Vegas than they did from FO3, because NV was sweet as hell while FO3 was...bland in a lot of ways.  I also hope they've got the Obsidian crew writing again, but I don't see anything on that. :(

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 03:36:23 AM »
I still never got that far in fallout 3. I played it when I was in the mood for fallout style gameplay more than story, and 3's VATS mode was a crock... But if I play it when I feel like a skyrim style game...

Regardless, I hope fallout 4 is better developed for people who want a good vats mode, something like valkyria chronicles would be fine.

Tengukami

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 10:04:47 AM »
I have the opposite feelings about F3 and F:NV - I loved 3, felt it encouraged exploration for sidequests short and long, had an interesting main story, and combat was a lot of fun (partial to VATS and the hilarious use of mines, myself). F:NV, while also fun in a lot of ways, made arming up too complicated - why am I supposed to give a shit about shell casings and whatnot? Ditto scrounging for ingredients to make medicines and such. Storywise, I didn't get that far because I just couldn't care, and the sidequests were at times close to boring.

That said, both games had their appeal and faults, and I hope the devs learn from them both.

Reddyne

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 01:05:58 PM »
For what it's worth, I somewhat agree. New Vegas felt empty both in terms of the world and in terms of the plot. Maybe it had better characters and writing but in the end it still just felt a bit too game-y. FO3 was far more rewarding in terms of exploration and the plot felt so much better despite how flawed it was. In the end, the only thing that seemed to be an improvement in NV was the character interaction and that wasn't without its foibles too.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 01:08:29 PM »

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 01:15:32 AM »
I like both: Exploring in FO3 is a lot of fun, but a trek over the open desert is fun too. I might just not be picky enough and not delving too deeply into things; I never touched different shell casings and such in NV, to use Ammy's example.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 04:02:28 AM »
Shell casings? As in Jacket hollow point, armor piercing, 9mm ball, etc? The old fallouts lets you use multiple types of ammo (jhp,FMJ,AP, etc) per gun too, or is shell casing yet another layer of option?
In any case I don't see how that's a problem at all since fallout allowed you multiple ammo types using the same gun since the first game, and find it ironic that people would complain that the newest iteration allowed you to do what the first 3 games did (3rd being tactics, not 3). If shell casings are another thing altogether, I'm not sure if I would dislike that since it just seems like the same thing as what I mentioned kinda, and if you liked 1 of something, what is wrong with 2? i haven't played 3 in so long I can't remember if they had that or not.

I never tried NV at all though, 3 really let me down so much (I pre-ordered it like a year in advance too!). I actually find it kinda funny how when fallout 3 went 3d, people actually loved it even more on average, but I hated it, and NOT because the 3d, but because it was NOTHING like the original fallouts IMO.. I mean I was even willing to take a FPS kind of playstyle with it, provided it was faithful otherwise, like perception affecting accuracy, agility affecting overall speed (movement, reload, equipment change, firing, etc), luck being more intricately implimented than other rpgs other than the fallout series (many rpgs have a luck stat, no other one really made it as meaningful as fallout IMO, and not just stictly for battle, but for like.. having alien UFO's crashing granting you their advanced weapons, being a massive perk, and yet at the same time not being the op stat you need to have to not be gimped). But at the same time, I find the 2 2D castlevania games for the playstation 2 to be amazing, better than most of the 2d iterations IMO, but people hate on those for the 3d alone... I just don't get it. I mean I know different people have different tastes but still. blah.

I'm still not sure if I should try NV or not, some people say they loved it while hating 3, other people say the opposite, and I can't really tell what people with my own fallout opinions feel on the matter, and I DONT want to burn myself by just buying it again when the number of games I want and what I can afford is not even close to equal.

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 08:37:26 AM »
They're talking about the recyclable shell casings that randomly get tossed into your backpack while shooting. Casings and ingredients are things you only need to worry about in hardcore mode, you can completely ignore them during a regular play-through.

But at the same time, I find the 2 2D castlevania games for the playstation 2 to be amazing, better than most of the 2d iterations IMO, but people hate on those for the 3d alone... I just don't get it. I mean I know different people have different tastes but still. blah.

You're assuming too much. People dislike the PS2 Castlevanias because they're essentially weak, repetitive, highly uninspired Devil May Cry clones. It never had anything to do with the switch to 3D, even if you ignore every other Castlevania they're just not that great.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 09:17:03 AM »
They're talking about the recyclable shell casings that randomly get tossed into your backpack while shooting. Casings and ingredients are things you only need to worry about in hardcore mode, you can completely ignore them during a regular play-through.
so you get them for shooting instead of looting? I can see why that may be a pain if they cost you weight limitation or something, I have no clue if it does, but even if it does, doesn't sound like a gamebreaker to me, not that anyone said it did...It's...something to consider for sure, thank you for the information.

You're assuming too much. People dislike the PS2 Castlevanias because they're essentially weak, repetitive, highly uninspired Devil May Cry clones. It never had anything to do with the switch to 3D, even if you ignore every other Castlevania they're just not that great.
That may be true for you, but I've seen significantly more complaints about them being 3d than your opinions...and your opions seem subjective as is.. 'weak', 'repetitive', and 'uninspired' area already lacking much specificity, and calling a 3d versioon of a 2d classic a 'clone' of something relatively new and unknown is stretching imo, even if it was. it wasn't a CLONE clone like torchlight to diablo 2 is (which I feel is shameless but is regarded highly)... Metal slug was a 'take one more hit to die contra clone' and Contra was a 'castlevania with guns and aliens instead of whips and vampires' clone'... and Game inspriation is GOOD IMO, and I don't dismiss them simply for doing so...and before you dismiss me for the blind castlevania fanboy.. I pre-ordered the LoS special edition because I WAS a fan, but can admit the game really let me down, and wish I never invested in it (though the graphics really were impressive for the ps3 IMO, not that that makes a game great)...

If you don't like the ps2 castlevania, I wont say you're wrong or anything, I'm just saying that if your complaints about the game aren't specific beyond '3d' (and 'weak' and 'uninspired' is no better than 'sucks because I say so'...seriously
), how can I take your opinion objectively?. I'd argue further but I really don't mean to derail the topic. I just mean to defend the opinion I had being attacked while commenting on it.

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 11:32:10 AM »
I assume you've not played either of these games in a long time, but in Lament of Innocence you spend most of the time spamming triangle combos and occasionally blocking against enemies that... don't do a whole lot. Then you have everyone's favorite part of the game, the castle which is really just a bunch of copy and pasted corridors and rooms. Most of the maps are even almost perfectly symmetrical. See all these rooms that have the same shape? Most of them are the same or almost the same as each other throughout the entire game, even having the same enemy spawn spots. Maybe you don't remember any of this, and that's fine, but if the game I'm describing here doesn't sound repetitive and uninspired to you then I dunno what to say. They clearly didn't put much heart into it, and unfortunately the second game shares many of the same flaws.

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
  • in the emptiness of reason.
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 12:25:26 PM »
I really, really like Curse of Darkness. But I'm not going to pretend I have good taste in anything. I'll admit its flaws but there's something about it that just...makes me enjoy it a lot.

I can see why that may be a pain if they cost you weight limitation or something,
Nope. They're weightless. If you don't plan on making ammo and you're not using energy weapons (you can recycle drained energy cells), you might as well just sell them or drop them in a place that clears itself out every few days you're not there, in order to decrease the amount of stuff the savefile keeps track of.
I need an option, a reason, and some hope.

theshirn

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2015, 07:33:15 PM »
That said, if you take the Hand Loader perk you can top yourself off with Explosive .50 MG rounds and it is a thing of beauty.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Reddyne

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2015, 07:49:06 PM »
Yeah. NV had some nice little additions that could add to the fun and helped individualize your character from others you might play as. Perks like that were certainly part of it. The handmade ammo could be a lot more potent when you needed it, and a lot more fun when you didn't.
Spoiler:
I removed Caesar's brain tumor with a 12 gauge stack of the Legion's own denari coins. SALVE, CAESAR!

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2015, 08:50:02 PM »
Yeah. NV had some nice little additions that could add to the fun and helped individualize your character from others you might play as. Perks like that were certainly part of it. The handmade ammo could be a lot more potent when you needed it, and a lot more fun when you didn't.
Spoiler:
I removed Caesar's brain tumor with a 12 gauge stack of the Legion's own denari coins. SALVE, CAESAR!
Spoiler:
I just tried to knife him to death to get one of the mini cheevos. Didn't work, dunno if it was because I softened him and his bodyguards up with grenades first or if it was because Boone beat me to killing him first.

theshirn

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2015, 09:22:07 PM »
Spoiler:
I just tried to knife him to death to get one of the mini cheevos. Didn't work, dunno if it was because I softened him and his bodyguards up with grenades first or if it was because Boone beat me to killing him first.
The latter, sadly.  Getting a couple of those achievements are tricky but a lot of fun!