Author Topic: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread  (Read 98848 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread
« Reply #720 on: October 20, 2015, 10:24:45 AM »
Roller nerf is justified. Though imo not really a nerf but more like balancing adjustment. Opposed to most guns needing accuracy/skill it was pretty easy as roller user to one-shot people no matter how you aimed as long as they were inside the cone reach.

The blaster aoe effect is also justified. It was designed as direct-hit-KO only and the splash was 2-3 hits. Fair enough.

We just have to even more git gud now.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #721 on: October 21, 2015, 02:18:50 AM »
Roller nerf is justified. Though imo not really a nerf but more like balancing adjustment. Opposed to most guns needing accuracy/skill it was pretty easy as roller user to one-shot people no matter how you aimed as long as they were inside the cone reach.
I never really felt that was a problem with the normal rollers, just the Dynamo.  Most of the bullshit I've seen from the normal rollers I've played against I usually chalk up to ping differences since a good 95% of the people I run into during the hours I have a chance to play are Japanese, which are one-shot kills from distances I simply can't get a kill from when I'm testing against the training dummies.  If these balance changes makes it so that happens less frequently I'll be a happy camper because that sort of thing almost never happens during Splatfests.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #722 on: October 29, 2015, 09:11:24 AM »
Two new guns are to be added to the weapon list:

- Nozzlenose H3 in a tri-way shot it seems(?) with Point Sensor. Can't read exactly the special because JP too hard.
- Luna Blaster with Splat Bombs and Bomb Rush special.

Nozzle > https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/659653906293616640
Luna > https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/659653649325404160

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #723 on: October 29, 2015, 09:56:35 AM »
It's not a tri-way shot, it just shoots in three-shot bursts like the other Nozzlenoses. And the Special is the Inkzooka.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #724 on: October 29, 2015, 10:16:12 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up.

I recently noticed that shooting at the feet of enemies with a blaster does almost no damage at all. For example when you're in very close combat. The damage is like 25~30. So if you're trying to splash damage, don't aim at floor/feet.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #725 on: October 29, 2015, 03:15:38 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up.

I recently noticed that shooting at the feet of enemies with a blaster does almost no damage at all. For example when you're in very close combat. The damage is like 25~30. So if you're trying to splash damage, don't aim at floor/feet.

That potentially explains a lot. I feel like I always lose up-close with a blaster, even if it seems like I'm landing my shots. I'll have to be extra careful not to shoot down next time that happens.

I've barely been able to play for the last few weeks. Been busy with other stuff, but more than that my roommate's girlfriend quit her job and now just sits in my armchair watching an endless loop of Family Guy reruns all day every day on my TV. I can't even get close to my Wii most days. Gotta get around to just running the cable up the wall and across the ceiling so I can go back to playing in my room.

[vic]Fixed your quote tag[/vic]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 04:03:49 PM by Rin Kagamine »
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #726 on: October 31, 2015, 11:13:05 AM »
Europe, once again, celebrates things a little later than usual... however...

I'll take the decent Splatfest this time!

Zombies vs Ghosts for our 1-week late Halloween Splatfest. So basically, Yuyuko represents again; this time against Yoshika... And guess what? I'm still siding with Yuyuko! Team (spooky) Hotaru! <3

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #727 on: October 31, 2015, 01:28:49 PM »
White Ink confirmed!?!?!?!

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #728 on: October 31, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »
It's ectoplasm!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #729 on: November 01, 2015, 09:27:22 AM »
Seen the Pirates vs Ninjas scoring on Twitter rt by Forza. Popularity voting means nothing to win, it is all in the game wins. Because x6  :V

Picochilla

• Just a random Chinchilla
« Reply #730 on: November 01, 2015, 02:04:24 PM »
Seen the Pirates vs Ninjas scoring on Twitter rt by Forza. Popularity voting means nothing to win, it is all in the game wins. Because x6  :V

which makes the whole system again useless and imbalanced

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #731 on: November 01, 2015, 02:30:29 PM »
Having just done the maths, using the x4 results from the previous Splatfests, Pirates would have still won... 264 vs 236...

But I'm agreeing with everyone so far. When they made it x4, it made some form of sense as wins needed to be just as important as the votes. But making it x6 makes the voting side of things utterly pointless! Yes, Ninjas would have still lost with the previous multiplier, but the gap would have been 28 points, as opposed to 64. Someone should be passing a note around the office saying 'please stop raising the victory multiplier up' because this is getting silly~ >>

{And yes, I would have liked the Ninjas to win. Here's hoping Yuyuko doesn't fall foul to the same thing}

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #732 on: November 02, 2015, 09:08:09 AM »
Actually, what I try to mean with my post was that it is fair as it is.

The number of wins deciding the 'winning side' is justified and sensible. I just don't get the point of having a popularity vote for scoring. Splatfest is in the core Turf Wars for your alignment. Popularity influencing the outcome should be not present at all. If the goal is here to add a fun factor just to show how many people voted for the losing side, then that is fine.

Pirates vs Ninjas shows that mass that voted for Ninjas were the lesser "skilled" players, since the scoring was nowhere near close.

Edit
Japanese Splatfest result are quite interesting close, ahahaha. Love won marginal.
Popularity 47% vs 53%
Wins: 51% vs 49% 

"Love always prevail!"   :V

Edit2
Found this too: https://fest.ink/7

Holy shit how do they elicit these graphs? And are these reliable? Because this shows some nice insight in how the war evolves.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:51:07 AM by Helepolis »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #733 on: November 02, 2015, 09:54:31 AM »
I think those are fan-made statistics using sampling. I'm not sure where he's getting them from but I doubt he's up to any mischief or whatever.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #734 on: November 02, 2015, 09:58:49 AM »
It seems to only track JP fests, starting from the 2nd. Shows the short, long and overall win in graphs during the splatfest based on time.

Wonder if there is European / American tracking somewhere too like this. Would give us some more insight.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #735 on: November 02, 2015, 01:48:57 PM »
Watching Splatfest results is fascinating. Do we have any estimation as to how many people play in a given Splatfest? My assumption would be that most fests with a significant win imbalance have fewer players than the more even ones so that they tend toward the mean less through sheer averages. But there's also clearly something about the choices that sometimes causes one to attract more skilled (older?) players.

Later I'll have to look at the NA, EU, and JP records and figure out which sister wins more where. Maybe their fanbases have something to do with it.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #736 on: November 02, 2015, 03:01:15 PM »
I guess they changed it to x6 after last splatfest (I didn't participate but everyone on the internet probably complained about the results because they are huge babies) but now there's no reason to include popularity, just do wins x1 and be done with it.  In fact, why was popularity ever a factor in the first place?

I haven't played this game in months, rip

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #737 on: November 02, 2015, 03:51:44 PM »
Guess they first thought it was cool and fresh idea.

Btw, wasn't the first Splatfest heavily influenced due to popularity causing the victory instead of the actual wins?

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #738 on: November 02, 2015, 04:49:46 PM »
Guess they first thought it was cool and fresh idea.

Btw, wasn't the first Splatfest heavily influenced due to popularity causing the victory instead of the actual wins?
Yeah, so that inspired them to change it from 2x to 4x and that was fine I guess but having it be 6x now is kinda ridiculous

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #739 on: November 06, 2015, 07:50:01 PM »
Tomorrow the awesome delayed splatfest (being semi hating and excited here). Because we're having a nice theme for a change! Zombies vs Ghosts!

While I like both, I decided to fight for Hotaru-san. Tomorrow.

Will go for the full rank to get those precious snails.

(And then finally reroll me some good gear to continue my road to S+... Still haven't played since A+ 90.)

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #740 on: November 06, 2015, 10:15:54 PM »
We will make Hotaru-san (and Yuyuko) proud, I'm certain of it! Maybe we should don a ghostly attire while we splat~ :V

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #741 on: November 07, 2015, 09:52:45 PM »
How have your games been Kanjou?

I had too much Ghost vs Ghost match ups  :ohdear:. Fearing that popularity will be ghosts but wins will be Zombies at this rate.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #742 on: November 08, 2015, 12:22:41 AM »
I've also experienced a fair amount of GvG too; the Zombies must be really getting into character I guess... and by that, I mean still climbing out of their graves~ :V

Though the teams I've been on against them have been... surprisingly one-sided. We've been clearing up zombies left and right when facing them; so I'm hoping that it'll be the same for others.
Oh, also... Kamiko is the new Queen of Ghosts! I'm sure Yuyuko won't mind... oh, and maybe that innocent looking ghost in the shot too~ :3
7 MAX titles out of 7 Splatfests! <3

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #743 on: November 08, 2015, 09:07:14 AM »
Road to King Ghost > http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv241295836 

Going to Stream for the upcoming 1 to 2 hours.

Edit: Max rank achieved. NicoNicoLive broke down on me for no reason. Was steeaming fine when suddenly it started disconnecting me continuously and I couldn't stream any more.  :ohdear:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 11:17:36 AM by Helepolis »

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #744 on: November 08, 2015, 07:10:40 PM »
The Europe Results are in!

Zombies vs Ghosts
Votes : 49 - 51
Wins : 46 - 54
TOTAL : 325 - 375

For only the 2nd time in European Splatfest history... HOTARU-SAN WINS!!! Yuyuko laughs in the face of the zombie apocalypse! <3 <3 <3
More people must have voted for zombies during the fest, because I swear we had a lot of ghost vs ghost match ups. Still, to win both areas feels awesome! {And that's now 6-1 in terms of wins for me; at least that 7 title streak continues}

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #745 on: November 08, 2015, 07:18:06 PM »
Wow, those popularity results are very surprising. Do you guys not have extreme zombie saturation in Europe? In the US I would expect to see 95-5 zombies given the absolute pop-culture penetration zombies have. Or are we finally starting to see an effective backlash against zombies? People have been saying "I'm tired of all the zombies" for years but we still see absolutely nonstop zombie movies, merchandise, and games on like a daily basis, so I figured that was bullshit.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #746 on: November 08, 2015, 07:33:56 PM »
We won?

We won.

WE WON!

HOTARU-SAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Both in popularity and wins???? Unbelievable.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #747 on: November 09, 2015, 03:44:45 AM »
I'm still surprised that the Europe/Oceania version of the game escaped the Callie Marie naming scheme

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #748 on: November 09, 2015, 03:54:13 AM »
Wow, I didn't know they did actually. That is surprising.

I don't have anything against that localization, I like it just fine, but I like their Japanese names too.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #749 on: November 09, 2015, 12:24:16 PM »
We didn't. They are called Callie and Marie on our end, except I refuse to use those names.