Author Topic: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread  (Read 99206 times)

Bio

• resident walker
Re: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread
« Reply #600 on: September 03, 2015, 09:45:02 AM »
Have you tried plotting the quality of players (or just your team) vs the time you play at.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #601 on: September 03, 2015, 10:19:41 AM »
Ranked Turf War would be 8 Aerosprays every time.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #602 on: September 03, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »
Have you tried plotting the quality of players (or just your team) vs the time you play at.
How? Quality is hard to gauge. Even with statistics. K/D/A means nothing (not that there is visible assist count in Splatoon).

Statistics like weapon accuracy in Ranked would give bit more insight in someone's aiming abilities. Like the number of shots you fired at an Inkling, but since this game involves spamming and inking areas this would be unreliable too.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #603 on: September 03, 2015, 03:35:35 PM »

From the incredibly anecdotal evidence that I could kind of give about that, I'd say I get more insufferable clueless goobers on my teams during the day. Which is to say, I usually play during the afternoon, the last couple times I played were during work hours, and my teams seemed dumber than usual. But I wouldn't put any stock in that. And I wouldn't know how to go about tracking it in the future.

Ranked Turf War would be 8 Aerosprays every time.

I have doubts. Turf War isn't 8 Aerosprays and Splatfests aren't 8 Aerosprays, and if I know games I know that people love exploiting anything they see as an unfair advantage. If Aerospray was the best choice for Turf Wars (and I'm not saying it's not excellent, it is) I think we would see it a lot more.

Although there are certainly maps where it is abusive. I honestly think Camp Triggerfish, Flounder Heights, and maybe to a lesser extend Kelp Dome are kind of bad maps because they're too Aerospray-focused. I definitely have seen whole teams, if not both teams, being nothing but Aerosprays and .96s on those maps before. But on most maps I don't think they're big enough to make all Aerospays a good idea.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #604 on: September 03, 2015, 04:37:13 PM »
If anyone would like to have a private friendly mess about, I've currently got spaces available in my room. The password is 0053 for those interested~ XD

EDIT: Never mind. Stopped now. Only so many times I can take 2v1 matches before it grows tedious. Hopefully we can orchestrate something in the future~

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #605 on: September 03, 2015, 06:10:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm up for making a team, I just need lead time so I can actually be online for it. The one time I tried to get something going nobody showed up, but I want to make this work.

I'd throw out a time this weekend, but I'm going to be out of town. Maybe next weekend?

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #606 on: September 03, 2015, 06:27:39 PM »
I'd be down to play next weekend, wonder if there's a time when all of us can play together lol

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #607 on: September 03, 2015, 06:28:37 PM »
De-rank ahoy. From S 15 to S 25 then suddenly steep drop to A+ 70. Especially 6 fucking games in a row losing during over time by 1p difference. Just how.

Sigh, time to climb again.

Edit
I don't get SplatZones. I declare myself officially as terrible-SZ player. It doesn't matter which weapon I pick or what effort I put in. The outcome, regardless of how I play remains a loss. I tried the Splash-O-matic. I tried the Dynamo / Kraken. I tried the Pro. I tried the Blaster play I usually do. None, nada, nothing.

I guess I am doing something wrong with play style for SZ. Can anybody give some sensible strategy or method for at least having impact so we don't lose 100-0 or any other major difference. Do I stick close to teammates? Do I flank? Flanking with the Dynamo roller is extremely hard because your painting sucks at close range and when rolling. For Blaster / Shooter play I have more mobility but almost no impact.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:28:22 AM by Helepolis »

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #608 on: September 04, 2015, 09:15:13 AM »
I used to turn on Splatoon to destress from my day with a bunch of turf wars but now with all the various ranked modes i find turf wars... kind of boring, but losing in ranked sure does do the opposite of destressing... which sadly happens more often than not now

The other time I got back my B+ it was a relatively smooth ride with winning sprees but once it made me reenter the lobby due to the rank change everything just started going wrong

Ranked troubles aside, new weapon incoming looks like a splattershot combination with the splatling

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

« Reply #609 on: September 04, 2015, 09:40:05 AM »
a time when all of us can play together lol
Someone Ping me on IRC when this eventually happens.

Also, hype for mini-splattening. Picked up the normal sized one for a few matches, immediately noticed the superior range and killing capacities of it compared to the JR, definitely an interesting weapon.

pasu

« Reply #610 on: September 04, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »
Had fun trying out the 52 deco in rainmaker. I love the seeker, but the silver aerospray's range is too little for me to bring into ranked until I remembered the 52 deco existed thanks to an opponent using it. It's my second best friend for rainmaker now. (rollers will always be first in my heart)

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #611 on: September 04, 2015, 05:53:19 PM »
Losing more points for a loss than you gain for a win will never not be bullshit.

Also, update was released which included some rebalance

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #612 on: September 04, 2015, 06:00:32 PM »
I'll repeat this again: You don't lose more points than you win unless your team is outbalanced in ranking.

On equal ranks in rank B and A, it is +10 or lose -10.
On equal ranks in rank S, it is +5 or -5.
On equal ranks in rank S+ it was I believe +2 and -2.

On any rank, if the enemy has higher ranks compared to yours, you will gain more and lose less.
On any rank, if the enemy has lower ranks compared to yours, you will lose more and gain less.

Basically it is not bullshit.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #613 on: September 04, 2015, 06:24:35 PM »
Except that I'm playing with all B- people, no one higher or lower. A knockout win gives 10 points, while a knockout loses 12 points. If there was some imbalance I wouldn't have called it bullshit. But there wasn't so it is.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #614 on: September 04, 2015, 07:09:13 PM »
That is something I never experienced honestly, can't confirm or ignore.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #615 on: September 04, 2015, 07:42:47 PM »
Headed in at B- 94, sick of this shit at B- 32. I can't get out of this level and it's really starting to get frustrating. I know some of it is me and I can only practice so much with a bad team.

Had a round where I swiped the Rainmaker right off the bat and took it all the way to opponent 8 single-handed before getting splatted. They picked it up and went straight to the goal as fast as possible. Didn't see a single teammate helping on that run. Fuck.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #616 on: September 05, 2015, 02:09:07 AM »
I'll repeat this again: You don't lose more points than you win unless your team is outbalanced in ranking.

On equal ranks in rank B and A, it is +10 or lose -10.
On equal ranks in rank S, it is +5 or -5.
On equal ranks in rank S+ it was I believe +2 and -2.

On any rank, if the enemy has higher ranks compared to yours, you will gain more and lose less.
On any rank, if the enemy has lower ranks compared to yours, you will lose more and gain less.

Basically it is not bullshit.

Do you know how much the difference has to be? I had (pretty sure, I guess I could have misread it) a game just now where my team was B-/B-/B-/B-, the opponent was B-/B-/B-/B, we won and got +10. I mean, obviously that's not a huge difference, but how big does the disparity get before it starts to matter.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #617 on: September 05, 2015, 04:26:15 AM »
I forgot to point out earlier that I was trying to play the Tentatek Splattershot all day rather than my usual .52 gal deco since apparently it's good? I'm still not sure how I feel about it but it seems pretty good.

pasu

« Reply #618 on: September 05, 2015, 05:06:28 AM »
JP's next splatfest is tsukkomi vs boke, that's pretty cute.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #619 on: September 05, 2015, 07:47:10 AM »
Oh god, Ika manzai. This can't become any more awesome.

Do you know how much the difference has to be? I had (pretty sure, I guess I could have misread it) a game just now where my team was B-/B-/B-/B-, the opponent was B-/B-/B-/B, we won and got +10. I mean, obviously that's not a huge difference, but how big does the disparity get before it starts to matter.
I don't have hard numbers to support my post. I'll have to note few matches with difference in scoring.

Edit
A few matches I quickly did:
My team: A+, A+, A+, A  vs A+, A+, A+, A+  = Win +12p
My team: A+, A, A+, A vs A, A+, A+, A+ = Win +10p (Knockout)
My team: A+, A, A+, A  vs A+, A, A+, A = Loss -10p (Knockout)
My team: A+, A+, A+, A vs A, A, A, A+ = Win +8p (Knockout)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:43:01 AM by Helepolis »

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #620 on: September 05, 2015, 06:21:43 PM »
I'm gonna be splatting for probably the next 3+ hours, so if anyone wants to play together or get a squad battle going, lmk and I'll set something up.

EDIT: I think I like the mini splatling a lot, but not for turf war. Has the same loadout as the Tentatek Splattershot, so maybe it'll work in ranked????

EDIT: Jesus Fucking Christ I can't fucking play this shit-ass fucking game with all these terrible fucking people. I've been playing so far and each stupid game has either had a disconnected teammate (lost 12 points because of it during one match) or teammates that would REFUSE TO GET ON THE FUCKING TOWER!!

Me irl

EDIT: After dropping down to C+ 35 I was just able to get to rank B right before the level change. 4 hours is too long for the rotation, 3 hours pls. Gonna be maining the Tentatek Splattershot going forward for ranked.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 10:28:45 PM by Rin Kagamine »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #621 on: September 06, 2015, 04:25:03 AM »
I've been enjoying the Ranged Blaster a lot lately. I know people talk about Custom Blaster a lot, but I like the Ranged Blaster loadout more. Despite trading out best super in game(?) for worst super in game (?) I find Ink Wall to be infinitely more useful than Point Sensor. Maybe I just don't understand how Point Sensor is supposed to work or what its ideal applications are, but I think blasters do a decent job or replicating everything it does with their blast radius anyway. If I'm wondering if there's an enemy in a place, I just shoot the blaster at that place. Ink Wall, meanwhile, has a million uses that you can't really replicate with anything else (well, just a handful really, but it's great for those things).

Is the impression that I have that Custom Blaster is the preferred weapon by most correct? Why is that? Is it just the far superior super, or does Custom Blaster excel at other things too? What situations would you use each in?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #622 on: September 06, 2015, 10:25:10 AM »
Luna Blaster is actually favoured more than the customer blaster at higher ranks was my impression. At least, whenever I see a blaster user, 3 out of 5 times it is a Luna user.

Range Blaster's ROF is slightly slower. Expecting your CQC will suffer more than usual due to the long range. If you miss a shot, your shot will travel further thus make it harder to land splash damage. (This is my guess Luna Blaster is favoured more over the Custom and Range blaster). The mindset behind it is to understand the splash damage. Take a roll at the training ground and fire from various angles and distances. Splash damage is maximized when you land it on exact range (horizontal). Diagonally behind target will dramatically decrease damage. Above-head is always 2-shot vs no-DEF up Inklings.

Basically, you will need to fight always at long range. This is not a bad thing, but you cannot just barge in and perform CQC. (Well, getting hugged by shooter/roller is often insta death for Blaster Users unless you got good aim to ink their face)

Splash wall is very useful in the load out, not just to protect yourself but place it at key (choking) points for you or your team. I wish the Custom Blaster had it. Point sensor is often quite useless yes. I only use it when I need to check an area before I rush in (Often narrow / choke points in enemy favour). Or tossing it on towers / near towers to mark for allies.

Personal preference: I prefer the Bubbler for teampush / teamdefend play, which is why the Ink Strike (at least for TC and RM) is not a priority. Although, I kind of disagree with the general statement where Ink Strike is said to be the most useless super in the game. For SZ it can make a difference to temporary block the control or regain control after enemy Ink Strike.

Edit: Current rank A+ 88p again. Took some struggle to get back here. Dropped at one point even to 24p. orz

Edit2: For SZ I am rolling with the Heavy Splattling experimental.

Edit3
Something I need to remind myself (and perhaps others) due to the "swim + jump to fire" habbit. Don't do this with the Splattling (and I think chargers). You will charge noticeable slower. Always appear regular from your Ink as Gattling user when you find to fire. Goes for the heavy and short one.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:41:31 AM by Helepolis »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #623 on: September 06, 2015, 03:39:54 PM »
Fair enough, sounds reasonable. Luna Blaster is waaay too short range for my taste, at that point I might as well just be using the Octobrush.

If not Inkstrike, what is your least favorite super? I'm certainly not calling Inkstrike useless (at least in ranked). It has all sorts of uses. It's just that I think I would rather have anything else. Killer Wail, which is also on the lower end, seems slightly more useful for controlling areas.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #624 on: September 06, 2015, 03:56:24 PM »
So I played for a few hours of ranked at rank B and I felt very comfortable, losing didn't aggravate me nearly as much as B- or C+ especially.  I think this is about my skill level atm, but then again maybe Rainmaker just isn't as frustrating a mode as TC.

Still trying to get my gear set up better for ranked, but I think the most important buff I need is Quick Respawn rather than anything else.  Does it really increase spawn speed by much though?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #625 on: September 06, 2015, 03:57:59 PM »
@Commander I don't think I can answer that question proper. I think each super has its increased and decreased usefulness in the modes and some situations. Inkstrike could have increased usefulness in SZ and Fest and few situational pushes with RM/TC.

I would personally least favour Echolocator. Any enemy having cold blooded instantly cancels it out. The game impact of Echolocator is also limited to SZ in my opinion. Of course, tracking your enemies is always a huge plus but Kraken is far more superior for almost all game modes and thus always impacting.

@ Vic,  Yes. 3x main decreases spawnrate at -3 seconds. It is a noticeable buff.

Edit:
I'll be playing few ranked now, RainMaker is on. www.twitch.tv/helepolis_

Edit2: 
I can't understand these clueless people. Fighting 1000m ahead somewhere when the RM is in our base and being perma assaulted. You don't chokepoint like that.

Edit 3
Still not getting why this game is so hard. I dropped to 40p again =.=  (Still fighting and streaming). Obviously I am not making enough kills. I should probably focus more on just killing near and around RM carrier / area.

Edit 4
Losing spree is real

Edit 5
I guess people are blind with the Rain maker on Kelp Dome. Just go the other way around instead of through the middle.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 05:20:27 PM by Helepolis »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #626 on: September 06, 2015, 04:43:13 PM »
I used to be anti-Echolocator, but I'm liking it more as I use it (which is rarely, but sometimes I use the .96). It always at least has some utility as an instant refill, which means it's never a dead super. Granted that matters more for some weapons than others, but it's handy to have.

But yeah, not really a super fair question. I can accept that?

Picochilla

• Just a random Chinchilla
« Reply #627 on: September 06, 2015, 05:42:35 PM »
Finding recently no time for Splatoon somehow.
I clearly bought too many Steam Games lately. I have really no idea what i should play next...

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #628 on: September 07, 2015, 11:10:05 PM »
Aaaaah I played like twenty ranked matches today and I ended up at exactly the score I started at help I can't get out of B-.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #629 on: September 08, 2015, 06:08:20 PM »
Doing Turf Wars for a change while sitting out SZ is nice too you know. Especially when you're the only non-Japanese + the 7 other people keep sticking together for almost an hour. Everybody was spamming "Nice!" at the start of the match, regardless of team ups. Actually, 80% of the time our Turf War matches ended in close-wins (2~5%) and remaining was bit unbalanced with huge difference. Fun times.

Until Aori-chan and Hotaru-san's broadcast forcefully separated us  :ohdear:

So, RM mode is now on. What to do. . .

Edit: Nope, don't feel like ranking today. Maybe this weekend.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 06:21:03 PM by Helepolis »