Author Topic: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread  (Read 99142 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread
« Reply #450 on: August 12, 2015, 01:24:18 AM »
Ha ha wow the Straw Boater hat is amazing. :V

Which reminds me, what do you guys think of Quick Super Jump? Right now I primarily super jump after death to get back into the fight, so it doesn't seem extraordinarily useful to me when I could have Quick Respawn. What situations is Quick Super Jump useful for? Does anyone run it a lot? I don't make great use of my Beakons when I play the Octobrush in ranked, so maybe if I got better at that it would be more useful.

Edit: What the fucking shit? Remember how yesterday I was griping about how Moray Towers is the only map in the game? Just had to play on it seven times in a row. Again. The ranked maps up right now are so one-sided in favor of chargers that I figured I just had no choice but to abandon the Octobrush and learn a new weapon, but I can't do that because Moray Towers is the only map in the game apparently and it's so unlike all the other maps that it's hard to learn on. Fuck me, I just want to play and the game is telling me in no uncertain terms not to.

Edit edit: I got fed up and put my Tinted Shades and Aerospray back on and went 10-0 first place in the next match. Game, don't make me learn new things, I'm not good enough for multiple skills! Just let me use my Aerospray pleeeeease.

Is there a pattern to when Tower Control or Splat Zones is the game mode in ranked? I haven't seen Splat Zones in a week, and I kind of prefer it. Am I just playing at the wrong times or something?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:58:08 AM by commanderool »
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #451 on: August 12, 2015, 05:05:18 AM »
Quick Super Jump is trash.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #452 on: August 13, 2015, 12:51:44 AM »
This time on "commandercool just doesn't understand it": Overtime in ranked. I just don't understand it!

I just had two ranked matches in a row where the match ends with my team having fewer points, but goes into overtime that lasts exactly until we win by one point. The mode was Splat Zones, if that matters. Is it something to do with the losing team controlling the zone at the end? How does it work for Tower Control?

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #453 on: August 13, 2015, 02:04:32 AM »
Yes, if you're behind but have control, it will go into overtime until you overtake the other team or lose control of the zone/tower.

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #454 on: August 13, 2015, 04:17:21 AM »
Oh what it stops immediately once you take over? Cool...

I've won two matches in TC via overtiming, best adrenaline high.

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #455 on: August 13, 2015, 05:59:34 PM »
At long last, Rainmaker is on its way. This mode will be added to the rotation at the usual times on August 14/15. Some of the details of the mode have been known for some time, such as the titular Rainmaker having a shield and being able to fire like an Inkzooka, but now we have a better idea of exactly how it all works, at least as much as we can before the mode is released outright.

I'm personally hoping this ends up being more fun than Tower Control for me. As long as I can activate my Bubbler while holding the thing, I'll actually have a use for the Jr. in this mode lol. But we'll see.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #456 on: August 13, 2015, 07:13:01 PM »
Rank A+ da ze  :getdown:

Holy shit I am only getting queued with S and S+.  :flamingv:

Picochilla

• Just a random Chinchilla
« Reply #457 on: August 13, 2015, 07:42:07 PM »
Rank A+ da ze  :getdown:

Holy shit I am only getting queued with S and S+.  :flamingv:

And i just got  into A- recently.... those battles are annoying tough

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #458 on: August 13, 2015, 07:45:54 PM »
And i just got  into A- recently.... those battles are annoying tough
I have been stuck in A- for quite long time. Cannot explain the battles. It isn't because people are clueless but just game is hard. Dropped 2x into B+ and had to struggle very hard getting back. I did attempt few Splat Zones too which helped me gain points.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #459 on: August 13, 2015, 08:34:53 PM »
I've gotten close to B+ once, but I dropped back down toward the bottom of B last night. Gameplay is definitely kind of above my level, but I'm learning. There seems to be a lot of map-specific technique going on that I don't understand, and I'm no longer consistently placing well within my team. A lot of it is up to map/game mode combination too since neither of my weapons (Aerospray and Octobrush) are incredibly versatile.

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #460 on: August 14, 2015, 02:07:27 AM »
I know the Rainmaker has been mentioned with links to the twitter, but there's something else I'd like to point out...

And this one is a tumblr link.

It mentions (and describes) the Rainmaker mechanics; just to confirm things said in the video. (And yes, it will explode if you run out of time holding it; though the timer will also count down quicker if you back-pedal too much.} However, if you look closely at the pictures the account provide...

One of those stages, I'm sure, are not on the current rotation. Possible new map on the way? <3

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #461 on: August 14, 2015, 02:43:52 AM »
There's actually two unreleased stages in that tumblr post, which is a little surprising to me. The apartment map is apparently called Flounder Heights. The name was "accidentally" leaked in this GameXplain video detailing the August update (you may need to do repeated pausing after the video starts to get it to stop on the right frame, but it's there). The tumblr post also shows a couple pics of Inklings fighting on a bridge, and NWPlayer123, the one who's been doing those Splatoon datamines, lists it as Hammerhead Bridge.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 02:46:26 AM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #462 on: August 14, 2015, 10:38:51 AM »
Decided to pick up the Krakon Roller to see if it could help push me to S+. Felt pretty laggy today and I only hope it wasn't me being the dreaded laggy roller. Still terrible at utilising the Krakon though and I can feel those KB nerfs.
There was this one splosher that never died when I rolled into them though. I have no idea why. Also it seems that the time I play at during Turf War,  everyone is Japanese and S rank and at least Lvl 34.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #463 on: August 14, 2015, 12:40:27 PM »
NOTICE ME PASU SENPAI

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #464 on: August 14, 2015, 01:00:45 PM »
NOTICE ME PASU SENPAI

B-but your level's higher

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #465 on: August 14, 2015, 01:23:13 PM »
B-but your level's higher
Yeah but I was playing like hot garbage today so I defer that title to you
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:27:15 PM by Rin Kagamine »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #466 on: August 15, 2015, 03:07:29 AM »
Just played a bunch of Rainmaker. Maybe it's just that the maps were favorable to my weapons, but I liked it a lot. Much more than Tower Control, maybe more than Splat Zones. Tower Control is dynamic because everyone has to constantly move, but I don't like how sometimes when you're on the tower the best thing to do is just to lay low and try to avoid dying.

Rainmaker is kind of similar in how it keeps everyone moving, but it gives everyone something to do in pretty much every moment, and that's cool. The tradeoff between actually using the weapon and running with it is interesting, the fact that you can take different routes to the goal is interesting, and the dynamic of everyone piling ink into the barrier to break it is an interesting tension between not wanting to stop shooting so the enemy doesn't pop it and wanting to break fire for just a second to kill your opponent while they're focusing on the barrier. Lots of decisions to make, and lots for everyone to do pretty much all the time. And it comes with a degree of built-in anti-Charger mechanics, which might be good for those really imbalanced maps.

I'll have to see it on more maps to know for sure and after the tactics get worked out a little more, but for my money right now an hour into the game mode it's just a better Tower Control.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #467 on: August 15, 2015, 07:34:49 AM »
Flag carriers pushing in alone.  People taking it to the wrong side. People not turtling for win. Good day one.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #468 on: August 15, 2015, 08:36:23 AM »
First impression of Rain maker:
- Capture the flag alike, but with only 1 flag.
- You're slow as fuck and cannot use any specials while holding it (Being bubbler is useless at this point).
- Requires way more team-work and operation than TC / SZ.
- Quite fun addition to the game

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #470 on: August 15, 2015, 09:15:17 AM »
Now you can enjoy strange Inkzooka hitboxes all the time!

InfernalExuro

• Totally not dead, I swear.
  • I lied. Totally dead.
« Reply #471 on: August 15, 2015, 11:06:25 AM »
I've had this game for some time, but never bothered playing... started just in time to miss the last Splatfest. My NNID is InfernalExuro if anyone ever feels like playing or watching me get stomped into oblivion.  :toot:
Steam | NNID: InfernalExuro | 3DS FC: [whoops my 3ds died] | FFXIV: Violet Nolansson [Gilgamesh]

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #472 on: August 15, 2015, 11:50:22 AM »
My NNID is InfernalExuro if anyone ever feels like playing or watching me get DUB-stomped into oblivion.  :toot:

Fixed that for you~ ;)

But yay! More people to splat with. Look forward to encountering you when possible. Haven't got round to playing Rainmaker yet, but may do so later in the evening; depending on shenanigans~ XD

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #473 on: August 15, 2015, 03:48:14 PM »
Guys, guys look! Merch!
https://goo.gl/photos/VGbDyrfh5vcAit637
https://goo.gl/photos/ubuZHTBub7Qe6di9A

Ha ha neat.

Now that you mention merch, can we get a Figma or two please? Of hero mode Inkling I guess? I would buy that.

Picochilla

« Reply #474 on: August 15, 2015, 06:06:19 PM »
I hate sucking in Ranked Battles when the whole Team has no clue how to play the Mode <.<

Any european splatters there who wants to Team up with me?

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #475 on: August 16, 2015, 01:31:49 AM »
Shame you can't gain points while in a team. Wish they would implement team rank or something.

Picochilla

« Reply #476 on: August 16, 2015, 08:08:02 AM »
Shame you can't gain points while in a team. Wish they would implement team rank or something.

You just dont get Points when u are in S Rank in Squads.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #477 on: August 17, 2015, 02:11:57 AM »
Played a TON of ranked today. First chunk was Tower Control, which was honestly a horrible experience. I'm starting to hate this mode. I guess it's because I can't figure out any weapons that are actually useful in it (or how to make my weapons work in it), but I genuinely did not enjoy it and it made me question why I'm even playing ranked. I slogged through it to try to get to know the mode better, but it wasn't fun. I think I might just be done playing Tower Control, at least for a while. Next time it's up I'm just not going to play. Which sucks, because my play time is pretty limited by work anyway, so having it cut down even further is no good, but after how painful that session earlier was I think it's for the best.

Came back later and played some Rainmaker, which remained mostly fun. The more I play though, the more I can't stand Kraken. I seriously don't understand why it's in the game. Similarly with Bubbler, in an objective-based game becoming invincible is SO much stronger than anything else it's crazy. If there was a super that just teleported the Rainmaker into my hands every time I used it I don't think people would be okay with that, and as far as I'm concerned Kraken isn't that different. Fuck that super, I think the game is worse for it existing. Teams that stack Krakens (which is a lot of them, because .96 Gal. Deco seems to be BY FAR the most popular weapon in the mode) can just have it up so consistently that holding on to the Rainmaker for more than a few seconds is impossible. Ugh.

So I played dozens and dozens of games today, and the net result was a significant loss. I went from +80 B to as low as +70 B-, and I ended on +12 B. I guess I must just be awful at this game, because I lost way more games than I won and I was the common factor in all of them.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #478 on: August 17, 2015, 08:32:57 AM »
Tip: Run away/hide from Bubblers and Krakens. It is a terrible awkward idea which goes against "logic", but see it like this: Would you rather die and spent 6 + x seconds of downtime or would you sit/hide the mere 5s and stay in touch with the battle field or flank once the bubbler / kraken is down?

Of course, if you get surprised or cornered the above is void. Though if the person uses the ability before hand, then just run.

in TC most people use the Kraken to clear towers. Bubblers will buff their allies for a critical final push. I hardly see people using those specials as forward-advance ability (cleaning up the path).

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #479 on: August 17, 2015, 12:23:16 PM »
To add on to the advice from Helepolis, depending on the weapon you're using, if you know the Kraken is nearing it's end time, start firing on it. You can repel it backwards depending on what you're using, and you can just catch them transforming back; leaving them in a pile of bad places~ :V

I have done this a few times; especially with some of the quick-firing weapons. Always comes down to how much you trust yourself~ XD