Author Topic: Touhou Smash crowdfunding and ZUN's fancreation rules (discussion thread)  (Read 213937 times)

Re: Touhou Smash crowdfunding and ZUN's fancreation rules (discussion thread)
« Reply #630 on: January 21, 2015, 01:47:35 AM »
Actually, 4chan's been doing automatic archivals for a while now (at least for three days or so, but there's always archive.moe too).

Anyway, I didn't really see anything in that thread suggesting that they took action against it themselves, although they definitely didn't approve of it. It might be worth noting that /v/ was aware of it too.

Edit: I missed Drake's post, feel free to ignore this
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:49:38 AM by Mach131 »

« Reply #631 on: January 21, 2015, 01:54:33 AM »
Blaming 4chan for everything is so 2010

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #632 on: January 21, 2015, 02:13:42 AM »
Right, my apologies to Drake for digressing the topic a tad
Anyhow, back on track, my apologies for being clueless but could anybody fill me in on this? New guidelines? Double Standards?

« Reply #633 on: January 21, 2015, 02:24:55 AM »
I would not trust 8chan as a reliable source for the weather

EDIT for srstalk: I honestly get the feeling that FSS should find someone who speaks both English and Japanese fluently and has a little less diarrhea of the mouth syndrome to act as an "official spokesperson" for the circle over all forms of social media, at least until this matter is fully resolved.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:27:25 AM by Eilaris »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #634 on: January 21, 2015, 02:39:01 AM »
we'll make a youtube video to explain all of the new details.
Couldn't you at least make a blog post to go along with it?

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #635 on: January 21, 2015, 02:43:42 AM »
Pretty sure that Chinese group got the funding canceled, or something like that. I never even heard of 8chan before, plus if they are similar to 4chan, I take info with a grain of salt.

Couldn't you at least make a blog post to go along with it?

Why the fascination with just making videos I wonder? Why not both, I mean if your gonna make a video you gotta make a script, your typing out something.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Drake

« Reply #636 on: January 21, 2015, 02:45:01 AM »
Why would anyone believe those kinds of rumors without evidence. I just posted about this.

See: https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,17884.msg1158773.html#msg1158773
See: https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,17875.0.html

EDIT: I don't even know how they interpreted a link to a google-translated version of the original 2004 guidelines into "western games may not be fundraised". What.
Fundraising doesn't even have anything to do with ZUN's derivative guidelines.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:59:36 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Kiefmaster99

• Touhou Wiki editor
    • Touhou Wiki User Page
« Reply #637 on: January 21, 2015, 04:12:15 AM »
Spoiler:
Re: 4chan, since confusion. A while ago 4chan implemented a feature where threads that fall off the board will instead be temporarily 'archived' for a few days before being deleted. There are sites that will keep a history/archive of all threads on /jp/, which act separate from 4chan proper.

On a more relevant note, hope that this gets incident resolved soon. These problems do happen from time to time; not like it's unique to the west either where vague guideline or copyright limits are being tested (e.g. doujin anime). On that note perhaps the Copyrights section on the wiki could use supplementary notes. Not like I have the time for it though.

« Reply #638 on: January 21, 2015, 05:53:06 AM »
Pretty sure that Chinese group got the funding canceled, or something like that. I never even heard of 8chan before, plus if they are similar to 4chan, I take info with a grain of salt.

Why the fascination with just making videos I wonder? Why not both, I mean if your gonna make a video you gotta make a script, your typing out something.

it is still up and running
although to be fair it was put up by sony as an event for people to vote for their favorite development team and give them a shot at producing their game for PS4
i don't know for sure if the actual developers would be getting a cut of the funds they raise, but the dev team was quite active about spreading the word of their "crowdfunding" around

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #639 on: January 21, 2015, 07:48:22 AM »
Not sure what the whole deal is about the Chinese Touhou game for Sony event. Please discuss that in the thread linked, because Cuc is also roaming that actively and he might answer several things. We know who 2-3-4-5-6-7-8chan are and it is up to people to decide what they want to believe there or not. But we've already went to in-depth analysis of the situation here so yea.

About Saijee's next video: I am not sure why they keep reverting to a video again. Even a press conference has a 2-way dialogue. This seems like hiding behind a video, unwilling to interact with your fans, critics and experts. An official post / blog seems also very difficult. Never seen in my life such a method. But what ever, I'll await the transcript again.
* Helepolis sighs

What I have read about guidelines on IGG is that the funding project cannot be deleted as soon as it has raised funds (so something definitely happened). I've also registered with a dummy account to see about the payment options. If you raise funds in dollars, you can select two payment types: Credit Card & Paypal. As this is a flexible funding, any paypal fundings are directly obtained by the campaign owner when the funding is made.  The credit card fundings are held by IGG until the campaign is officially over.

1.  PayPal:
For Flexible Funding campaigns, contributions made through PayPal are sent to your PayPal account instantly. You will receive a disbursement confirmation from PayPal with each contribution. After the contribution has been sent, your PayPal account will be charged our 9% platform fee by Indiegogo
Source: https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/526406-When-Do-I-Get-My-Money-

Funny fact, IGG charges 9% fee over each contribution made and transferred to his Paypal. They will refund 5% back if you have met your goal at the end of the campaign. Either way, IGG cashes in 4% of this (or not because the campaign never officially ended, it just disappeared). I am not sure about the legal conflicts on cashing in money for Crowdfunding with projects who can be forcefully shutdown by the Copyright holder. But somewhere in IGG guidelines it says that they are not held responsible, blabla etc. Nice going of IGG covering them selves against DMCA claims and such, lol

The difference between Flexible Funding and Fixed Funding isn't only about the certain % they hold as explained on some page about achieving not achieving the goal. Fixed Funding holds back all the fundings, including paypal fundings. So, technically not only has FSS has been violating the rules by actually putting up a Crowdfunding Campaign, but also for putting it up as Flexible Funding. Regardless of the outcome, they would've gotten a part of the funding no matter what.

I have no idea what exactly happened for the page to be gone, I find it a bit weird that all the data about the CC (credit card) fundings are lost. Neither I could find any details about how the fundings are returned if a DMCA claim is made or any other form of forceful event occurred. The only thing said about CC funding is that it is automatically transferred back to your back account.

This explains why Saijee only can see the Paypal transactions, because he already obtained those and can see it from his paypal account.

Edit:

I wonder though what will happen here. It means that IGG has already charged Saijee a fee of 9% over each transaction. Because it says they charge 9% over each contribution. The "pricing" page describes this very vague. So that means Saijee has already lost 9% of each contribution to IGG. If he wants to refund them, it means he will have to pay from his own pocket? Maybe someone can shed a light on this.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:06:58 AM by Helepolis »

« Reply #640 on: January 21, 2015, 02:16:18 PM »
I emailed Indiegogo asking why the page was taken down and they responded with the following, pretty much in line with what Hele said:

The campaign is currently removed for Intellectual Property dispute. In the event the campaign is cancelled due to said dispute, a refund will be provided automatically if you contributed via credit card, otherwise further instructions regarding your refund will be sent to you if you contributed via PayPal.

Please note the investigation may take up to 15 business days.

We apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused you. Thank you for your cooperation, and please let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Trust and Safety
Indiegogo

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #641 on: January 21, 2015, 02:37:12 PM »
I see, thanks for the heads up.

I hope though that Saijee is also getting the 9% back on each transaction made through paypal. Because this is a dispute/copyright claim, IGG has no right to continue this campaign and therefore has to also revert all payments including fees they had taken. Otherwise that would be a scam from IGG to Saijee for letting him deal with the damage. The campaign never officially ended as well.

Well, awaiting the official reply/video from Saijee before we can conclude this incident.

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #642 on: January 21, 2015, 02:41:17 PM »
He did say he got good news from them on facebook.

Maybe this is more positive than it looks.
Sometimes Streams at Hitbox.tv/Reu

« Reply #643 on: January 21, 2015, 02:51:10 PM »
I believe Saijee already said that he would refund the full amount out of pocket and eat the loss of IGG's 9% cut.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #644 on: January 21, 2015, 03:02:30 PM »
I see, thanks for the heads up.

I hope though that Saijee is also getting the 9% back on each transaction made through paypal. Because this is a dispute/copyright claim, IGG has no right to continue this campaign and therefore has to also revert all payments including fees they had taken. Otherwise that would be a scam from IGG to Saijee for letting him deal with the damage. The campaign never officially ended as well.

Well, awaiting the official reply/video from Saijee before we can conclude this incident.

Could see it going either way really. Either you could say they didn't commit the infringement and therefore can't be held liable and can keep the cash, or that the entirety of the funds was "illgoten" and keeping thier share could count as receiving stolen property.

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #645 on: January 21, 2015, 05:05:14 PM »
Could see it going either way really. Either you could say they didn't commit the infringement and therefore can't be held liable and can keep the cash, or that the entirety of the funds was "illgoten" and keeping thier share could count as receiving stolen property.

IndieGoGo is not responsible for violating TSA's copyright. If an online service provider (YouTube, IndieGoGo, this site) takes down infringing content when asked, it's immune from copyright liability under 17 U.S.C. ? 512. Viacom v. YouTube. IGG took down the infringing content when it was asked. So, it's fulfilled its legal duty and cannot now be sued for whatever infringements may have been in the campaign.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Kyo Tanaka

• Don't worry Sakuya, I will (Uuu~♥) protect you...
« Reply #646 on: January 21, 2015, 06:09:18 PM »

Edit:

I wonder though what will happen here. It means that IGG has already charged Saijee a fee of 9% over each transaction. Because it says they charge 9% over each contribution. The "pricing" page describes this very vague. So that means Saijee has already lost 9% of each contribution to IGG. If he wants to refund them, it means he will have to pay from his own pocket? Maybe someone can shed a light on this.

Not sure if this is already answered, but from one of his comments or video, he said he'll reimburse all the feeds contributed to the Project, except for those who wish for him to keep it, even if it comes out of his own pocket to reimburse everyone.

Forgot exactly where this was stated, so I can't source it myself. Sorry.

« Reply #647 on: January 21, 2015, 07:17:30 PM »
so with the IGG campaign fully removed, I think i am forced to get my money back. I was on the fence due to really wanting tewi in, but if I kept my money in, would I be going against ZUN's wish's?

Plus getting back 1600 is nice and can pay for other stuff I am looking at... Any other maiden backers gonna take the money back?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #648 on: January 21, 2015, 07:34:59 PM »
@ Kyo / Eilaris,  yes you are right. I can read it in the transcript but I was more wondering on the legal subject but Maullar already answered that for us. Cheers.

@ zferolie, I believe this was already explained alot of pages before but can't be helped it got forgotten since we have 20+ pages. Afaik, (correct me if wrong) if FSS decides to setup a donation strategy where you donate the team or their website or other games I am sure no violations are made. Of course this has to be donation non-relevant or non-related to Touhou fan projects. To be honest, crowdfunding can be seen as donations but are donated to a specific goal/purpose hence this whole incident.

As said before: It is a buzzword to make things sound more hip because people think it is totally awesome and great! Technically, it is an investment. But that sounds so "serious business and boring" and people often get scared when they hear the word "investment" and "donation" sounds like: "Oh, so you don't really need the money but it is nice to have I guess?"

How I see it: Crowdfunding is just easy way of borrowing money, but not having to pay back anything except deliver the actual product and perks. Otherwise people have to go to a bank and set up a loan against a certain interest rate. After that they have to make sure to pay the loan back + make enough money to profit themselves. Hence investment is scary for people. So instead of the burden of interest and such, you just hand people bunch of perks, make them happy and even if you fail the project you wouldn't care because you already fulfilled your perks and agreement. Hence why sites like IGG have those shitty legal agreement that they are not responsible for refunding and such. It is all part of the legal strategy. Therefore, personally I think crowdfunding is just a big bogus. Especially because unlike bank, they hold a certain % of your contributions for actually no reason at all aside from "Service Fees". Also, you're "borrowing" from the contributors, not from IGG so what the hell? Might as well just setup a direct paypal link and ask on your website for donations. But what ever, that is another discussion.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #649 on: January 21, 2015, 07:36:43 PM »
so with the IGG campaign fully removed, I think i am forced to get my money back. I was on the fence due to really wanting tewi in, but if I kept my money in, would I be going against ZUN's wish's?

Plus getting back 1600 is nice and can pay for other stuff I am looking at... Any other maiden backers gonna take the money back?

Pretty much yes, as it's from the crowdfunding. The goal is to get the situation before crowdfunding even happened so it doesn't fall in line with infringing on the guidelines.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

« Reply #650 on: January 21, 2015, 08:47:32 PM »
Yes, I am the person who was spamming initially.
I got over excited and wanted others to take notice of the Chinese project.
I am not proud of this and in fact I regret this very much...
I should have registered here and make a thread or something in a more calm manner.
I realized that I caused more negativity towards FSS is anything and maybe even to the western community and I apologize if I made anyone feel uncomfortable.
Anyways, I wanted to get some healthy feedback on these specific points with specific rebuttal.
I know that you guys are dedicated people to Touhou and want to hear out what you guys say.
This is a curiosity of what the community think of what seems to me like double standards regarding the doujin rules.
If ZUN does not say anything about this he letting them go against the doujin spirit.
So.......... the Doujin guideline all depends on ZUN only? He can go against what is call the doujin spirit and be fine?

If you can, please give me an honest feedback for the specific points in the order I present.
I will appreciate this very much.

P.S for No.4 I should have been more elaborate. FSS was accused for not explicitly crediting ZUN when they removed the English description and put up the Japanese explanation. The video was never taken down which shows credit for ZUN however, any moment of not clearly crediting ZUN goes against doujin rules. The TCP4 may have credited on their independent site but I do not see explicit credit for ZUN in the description of the game on the PS4 site. If someone were to miss the part of crediting ZUN on the video they will not know who the doujin work should be credited for.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:45:48 PM by ShinesBright »

Drake

« Reply #651 on: January 21, 2015, 11:32:53 PM »
EDIT: The above post and the following several posts were originally held in this thread.

translation
wow pretty much exactly what i wrote, i'm da bes, thanks for translating

If you can, please give me an honest feedback for the specific points in the order I present.
I will appreciate this very much.
I assure you I don't associate you as part of FSS itself, so even if you didn't apologize I wouldn't put it against FSS.
Although, your attitude flip here honestly makes you look better than Saijee is currently doing since you're sounding more receptive and willing to have a conversation, so uh yeah.

If anything, I'd recommend to read through the TSSB crowdfunding thread. There's a load of information and discussion in that thread that will likely help your point of view (beware though it does get very heated, please try to understand our frustrations). Even though they made one general response post, the FSS team mainly seems to have skimmed it just to answer questions so they might not be as informed as we'd like.

MyACG doesn't actually have approval by ZUN to develop their game for the PS4, specifically. As with any other Touhou derivative game, they're free to make it for the PC, subject to the derivative guidelines. In order to develop and publish on the PS4, they would either have to join the Play,Doujin! program, or otherwise get explicit permission (which is very unlikely). While they definitely screwed up early on, what they aim to do here is to use this campaign to win a PS4 dev kit, release this game for PC only, and use the dev kit for future titles. The funds raised by the campaign do not go towards the group, but rather go towards helping Chinese indie developers in general; note also the difference between doujin works and indie works. That being said, they might use some of the scholarship referred to in cuc's first post to help fund this game somehow. However, this is no problem since it's their money.

As for the second question, ZUN does not control doujin culture. Doujin culture is just that, a culture; it isn't something proclaimed by somebody, it's a community of people making stuff for other people who make stuff. It's never been a commercial endeavour, it's a hobby. What you might think of as "doujin spirit" is just basic standards based on those principles. Touhou is fundamentally a product of doujin culture: something ZUN made on his own time and dime as a hobby, simply because he wanted to make a thing and keep making things. Once it blew up in popularity, in order to protect his IP but still give other hobbyists freedom to make stuff with his characters, settings and music, he wrote the original Touhou derivative guidelines. These aren't "doujin rules", nor does such a thing as "doujin rules" even technically exist. They're a promise made by ZUN that as long as you stay within some pretty reasonable boundaries you're free to use his stuff as you want.

Obviously, ZUN sets these rules (since it's only about Touhou derivative works, not all doujin works), and they've worked extremely well. They've only been updated once, in 2011. The rules in regards to commercial activities are even still freedoms given to others: by default, using his IP in commercial activities would be infringement, but if you contact him about it and get permission you don't have to worry about him taking action against it. This doesn't mean that you have obtained any sort of rights, it just means he won't do anything. In doujin culture everything is built on systems of mutual trust and respect; at no point should the word of law even come into discussion. Nobody wants it to be about laws, and by everyone agreeing to play nicely and not take advantage of others, everything is great. Trying to make a commercial product based off of someone else's doujin work is just a bad thing to do since it stomps all over all of that. On top of that, doujin works are meant to be a hobby, something you invest yourself into, not something you make just to try and profit. Most circles put in more money than they get back from sales, but it's a hobby; that's expected. Sometimes doujin circles do evolve into companies, e.g. TYPE-MOON and Team Shanghai Alice (Korindo Ltd.), but that's based on their own IPs, rather than using others'.

So to answer that more directly, do the "doujin guidelines" depend on ZUN? No, and they don't really exist besides as a product of the culture (the Touhou derivative guidelines are different, and depend entirely on ZUN). Can ZUN go against "doujin spirit" uncontested? Technically anyone can, but he won't, because he cherishes the doujin culture and helps make it flourish.

Anyways, please direct further comments unrelated to the MyACG fangame to the TSSB thread as well. There's been significant overlap between threads and we should try to reduce it as much as possible.

P.S for No.4 I should have been more elaborate. FSS was accused for not explicitly crediting ZUN when they removed the English description and put up the Japanese explanation. The video was never taken down which shows credit for ZUN however, any moment of not clearly crediting ZUN goes against doujin rules. The TCP4 may have credited on their independent site but I do not see explicit credit for ZUN in the description of the game on the PS4 site. If someone were to miss the part of crediting ZUN on the video they will not know who the doujin work should be credited for.
Mostly they got nailed for this because they were already at people's attention. It is entirely true that when they changed the description to the apology they removed any credits, and they should have kept them. Additionally, MyACG have been giving explicit credits pretty much everywhere, as has been said already, so I'm not sure what you're talking about here. (And again, not "doujin rules", but this is part of the Touhou derivative guidelines.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:44:23 AM by Drake »

« Reply #652 on: January 22, 2015, 12:00:39 AM »
Oh lord.... I wrote a whole post and now its gone....... so I'm writing again.

I have just read the Chinese translation.
Whether it may be an issue in the East or West, the guidelines apply to all Touhou communities in the world.
Therefore any incident influences the world of touhou all the same.

After seeing pictures taken together and talking to each other and what not, I was surprised to find that the TCP4 has not yet got an official approval from ZUN.
Many others have also seem to have the impression they already have approval.
I guess we shall indeed have to wait what he has to say.

My impression to the TCP4 explanation is...

Like them, FSS did not force people to spend money on them. People voluntarily are paying to show support. However, this still was a problem and it goes against doujin spirit.
Yes, FSS is in the form of funds but as explained there were going to use every cent of it to develop the game. None of it was for 'personal profit'. Some may say FSS can get away using it for themselves then it is equally arguable that the TCP4 may get away developing their own different game for the PS4 despite receiving support for the touhou doujin game they put on the contest.

Personally I think this is truly a scam if that happens. I think it is an irony that without the rights to develop the Touhou doujin game they are putting this on the PS4 site as if they are developing it for sure. One of the perks on the PS4 site campaign includes voting rights, raffle for PS4 and digital copies of the top 3 game. Anyone will easily assume that the top 3 games are going to be on the PS4. Being involved with a big corporation I wonder how they are gonna get out of this if ZUN does not permit the distribution on the Chinese site.

Regarding trying to get the PS4 attention to the team. This is unreasonable reason to engage into a mass commercial activity with an unfinished Touhou doujin work.
Doujin works are supposed to be developed only with the pure abilities of the game developers.
FSS did not get noticed by Wii U with doujin projects in mass commercialization.
They applied for a spot at Wii U and the Wii U like their original games so WiiU included them to the developing team.
FSS did not advertise their doujin work on a Wii U site like the Chinese team did theirs on the the Chinese PS4 site.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:58:24 AM by ShinesBright »

« Reply #653 on: January 22, 2015, 12:54:29 AM »
Drake. This has been tremendously helpful in understanding what is going on.
Although I had a personal conversation with Paz I actually had a hard time understanding what he meant.
I grasped the concept of being mutually respectful but other than that things confused me quite a bit but after your post I have a much fuller understanding.
I think the reason behind this whole controversy and fire was due to the fact it was more like a discussion about right or wrong.
There were many people condemning FSS for the lack of comprehension of the culture. More like "this is against doujin rules and you're wrong!!"
In FSS point of view, because many who were associated with ZUN were pointing fingers at them like this, the impression was that ZUNs guidelines=Doujin rules
Now I see that why people were saying not everything can be written down, why it is a grey area, why there are different interpretations.
This is a culture and ZUNs guideline is a portion of it.
It's like there can be guidelines for how to adapt in Japan but the guidelines wouldn't be sufficient enough to fully encompass the Japanese culture.
One may try and strictly follow the guidelines of table manner of Japan thru a book. More than likely this will be a general idea but not the whole 'food eating culture in Japan'
I really wish that someone had actually calmly written down and elaborate what this whole doujin rule and ZUNs guidelines was.
FSS and me were wildly confused with what is what.
It is probably due to the fact that there was a flood comments on various areas that it was difficult to differentiate things.
I really wish someone could have elaborately explain about the culture so there was better understanding.
Anyways, Thank you this has been really helpful to see the other point of view
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:56:50 AM by ShinesBright »

Drake

« Reply #654 on: January 22, 2015, 02:08:27 AM »
I want to stress, for possibly the millionth time, that if they didn't basically ignore this forum like they did, read what we had to say and asked questions about what they don't understand, this likely wouldn't have blown up as much as it has. If you look through the TSSB thread, we have tried to explain this to them, and you can see just how little they actually acknowledged us, even if they want to say they were too busy. In fact, if certain people were aware of the crowdfunding attempt before they launched it (I blame myself a bit, because I was sort of following development updates) none of this would have happened, perhaps.

Anyways:
Whether it may be an issue in the East or West, the guidelines apply to all Touhou communities in the world.
Therefore any incident influences the world of touhou all the same.
They apply the same yeah, but there's always the issue of keeping our fandom's image clean. People tend to be aware that one group overseas screwing up doesn't reflect how the rest of the overseas act, but it's still something to keep in mind.
Like them, FSS did not force people to spend money on them. People voluntarily are paying to show support. However, this still was a problem and it goes against doujin spirit.
Yes, FSS is in the form of funds but as explained there were going to use every cent of it to develop the game. None of it was for 'personal profit'.
I know what you mean, but even though they intend to use all funds to develop the game, it's still considered profiting regardless. This is partly why I used the term "hobby" so many times: when you do something as a hobby, you use your own money and your own time because it's something you do just because you enjoy doing it. You don't generally ask for money from other people so you can continue your hobby, even if they benefit from it; at that point you're kind of selling a service, where the "service" is you work on your hobby. Yes, the overall intention is just to have the fans contribute so FSS can make the game the best and fastest they can, but I hope you can see why this is considered a commercial activity, especially if they had decided to sell the finished game.
Some may say FSS can get away using it for themselves then it is equally arguable that the TCP4 may get away developing their own different game for the PS4 despite receiving support for the touhou doujin game they put on the contest.
I see that argument, but I think there are two things to note: 1) MyACG weren't aware that they couldn't develop the game for PS4, and they entered the contest without knowing. As said before, they originally intended to apply for the Play,Doujin! program (in which they would get the PS4 devkit), and that likely would have resulted in them getting rejected until they made the game for PC first anyways. It's just happenstance that they're still managing to win here. 2) I wouldn't really consider getting the devkit "support" in the same way money is "support". You literally cannot make the game without the devkit, and since any game made with it now won't be a Touhou derivative, they aren't even restricted to doujin activities. Also, if they had already finished their game and just wanted to port it to PS4, this scenario still wouldn't be any different.
I think it is an irony that without the rights to develop the Touhou doujin game they are putting this on the PS4 site as if they are developing it for sure. One of the perks on the PS4 site campaign includes voting rights, raffle for PS4 and digital copies of the top 3 game. Anyone will easily assume that the top 3 games are going to be on the PS4. Being involved with a big corporation I wonder how they are gonna get out of this if ZUN does not permit the distribution on the Chinese site.
That's certainly something they will have to answer, and they've acknowledged it's their mistake. I don't think anyone's saying it's okay.
FSS did not get noticed by Wii U with doujin projects in mass commercialization.
They applied for a spot at Wii U and the Wii U like their original games so WiiU included them to the developing team.
FSS did not advertise their doujin work on a Wii U site like the Chinese team did theirs on the the Chinese PS4 site.
I don't think that's a valid complaint. Whether they were advertising or not, they both intended to get published on consoles and were attempting to get accepted into these programs explicitly for the purpose of developing for these platforms. Just the same, if MyACG didn't go through this campaign, they still would have tried to do something similar to what FSS did.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:14:50 AM by Drake »

« Reply #655 on: January 22, 2015, 03:16:13 AM »
This forum is a forum that really needs time to read. It's not like other media that are instantaneous. A person like me who is not even directly in the project is spending A LOT of time to read stuff and  just thinking of ways to respond.You guys know that they were bombarded with messages and comments everywhere so the situation was difficult for them to just sit and think. I know you feel like they ignored you but it takes a lot of time just looking at these stuff. FSS are human and they need time to sleep, eat, rest, commute etc. too. It should be understandable that they could not focus on things this elaborate when their feet were on fire.

Just for clarifying but FSS had no commercial plans decided. They never confirmed that the game was going to "be sold" for "this price".  Also, according to firm definition 'commercial activity' is activity ONLY under enterprises and not all companies are enterprises.  IGG is not an enterprise but Sony IS an enterprise. This is a solid fact. So if we are looking at who is MORE commercial it is the TCP4. I can also see your point and how it can be viewed as commercial activity for FSS. However, I think you missed my intentions of bringing this up. I meant that FSS case was extremely similar with TCP4 in that they did not force people to give out funds by attracting them with perks. If people say TCP4 is good to go then they should have said that to FSS too.

FSS did not know that crowd funding was not allowed because they assumed that ZUN gave permission by not replying to their e-mail. His guidelines say he will answer to e-mails that concerns him. FSS launched the campaign and when they learned that they can't do that they backed off. Even if TCP4 did not know the rules and entered first once they learn it they should withdraw also. Like I said if TCP4 is good FSS was good too.

Also, I didn't say that the 'dev kit' is support they are getting. They are getting support with VOTES. The votes which needs to be purchased is people's way of support. Their expression of support is [buying] the [right to vote] and voting the team. In FSS case too, the expression of support was to [buying] [perks] so that the game can be made in high quality. This is why I view them essentially as the same.

[ You literally cannot make the game without the devkit, and since any game made with it now won't be a Touhou derivative, they aren't even restricted to doujin-only activities. Also, if they had already finished their game and just wanted to port it to PS4, this scenario still wouldn't be any different.] What do you mean by this part??????

Like I said Doujin games are supposed to be developed only with the teams "own abilities". The difference of FSS being on the WiiU team and TCP4 on the PS4 is that FSS before the TSSB they were already a team and received a kit to develop on the WiiU. TSSB is not how they got WiiU's attention at all. Yet, TCP4 is trying to get "noticed" by PS4 and acquire the PS4 kit by presenting their doujin game. To make it simple, FSS didn't use touhou doujin game to get the WiiU kit but TCP4 are using the touhou doujin game to get the PS4 kit. FSS already have the ability to put out any games they want on the WiiU as long as it is legal. Literally they have the power to put out any games at any time they want with almost no problem.TCP4 can't put any games on the PS4 because it seems like they're not a part of it yet. They do not have their "own abilities" to put out the game on the PS4 [unless] they receive help through an enterprise.

I will say this one more time. It looks like that I am wanting to shut down the PS4 however, this is not what I am aiming for.
I really hope people notice that there is an undeniable double standards here.
Aside that the TCP4 has met ZUN before, the project is equally problematic with TSSB if not more.
i can't say what exactly needs to be done but I will say that people shouldn't condemn only one team if they aren't going to for the other.
The things that seemed different actually is very similar.  Either condemn both or support both or just being silent of issues that are essentially the same is what I think is right
I have said it to other people but I really hope both games get support than criticism . Well.... I guess that ship has sailed for FSS.... but I do wish the TCP4 luck too.
I have seen how hard my friends have worked and I know that the TCP4 must have worked extremely hard too.
Anyways... I guess all we have to see now is what ZUN will say.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:43:22 AM by ShinesBright »

« Reply #656 on: January 22, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
Welp, the game itself no longer exists, in terms of being touhou related. What a crazy few weeks...

But what can other western touhou fans learn from this to not make the same mistake? Yes no crowd funding, but it sounds like ZUN could file copyright on anything we do to shut it down. What can we fans do to prevent that?

Drake

« Reply #657 on: January 22, 2015, 07:51:53 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCd5wlUiuCY

New video. The arguments presented at 5:00 were some of the ones posted here, which were replied to in order to discuss with FSS. Unfortunately we haven't received responses to those, and while I understand they're busy, to hear these same arguments in the video is disappointing to say the least.

There is some incredible passive-aggressiveness here, along with the fact that, as clear from 8:00, they still aren't aware of some very basic things.

8:45: Despite being told otherwise, they went ahead and assumed what they assumed through the email without taking care to ask anyone else about what things mean. This has nothing to do with "unwritten guidelines" and is almost certainly because of what I wrote before: people weren't aware of IGG's cancellation policies, and you didn't send any follow-up emails explaining this issue, leading to what looks like the campaign not being cancelled.

I'm also not sure when this video was made, but MyACG has made various acknowledgements that they've violated the guidelines and are trying to fix the situation. As I've said a few times just above, nobody is saying that this is okay (11:55 wat). They make several claims about their situation that are similarly outdated.

They then go on to make various arguments that I also addressed in that thread by proxy from ShinesBright. One in particular is the claim that they don't give credit to Team Shanghai Alice, when they clearly do early on in every page I've seen the project. They also claim that MyACG isn't under the same "heat", where 1) they cannot possibly know this, and should be well aware that there can be a lot of private communication, and 2) the circumstances of the projects are different and the main reason TSSB got the attention it did was because ZUN tweeted at all.

12:45 I get the frustration of not understanding how a different culture operates and getting flak for it, and I can't blame anyone for not knowing, but as I've said in nearly every post, you didn't even ask. I cannot understand how anyone can think that it's just completely okay to use the IP of others to make your own thing.

Then more stuff I addressed in the other thread.

Yes, Cave Story is a doujin game. I'm not sure why it was brought up.

14:00 Oh my god you guys there really really wouldn't be these issues if you just asked people things rather than making huge assumptions and then saying it's risky. Of course it's risky if you have no idea what you're doing but make assumptions about everything, that's why we're here right now! The derivative guidelines aren't fickle or constantly-changing, nor does ZUN just make stuff up as he goes; that is an incredibly demeaning accusation. If this were actually the case, nobody would want to make Touhou stuff. Meanwhile, the guidelines have changed since 2004 a grand total of once, where we just had some additions.

Overall I'm really disappointed that things had to end this way. Nearly 100% of this case has been due to a lack of understanding that still seems to persist, with very few signs that FSS has been paying any attention to what we've been saying. I'll continue to cheer for the project nonetheless and wish you guys continued success, but my god this is all just so incredibly unnecessary.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:45:38 AM by Drake »

« Reply #658 on: January 22, 2015, 07:57:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCd5wlUiuCY

New video. The arguments presented at 5:00 were some of the ones posted here, which were replied to in order to discuss with FSS. Unfortunately we haven't received responses to those, and while I understand they're busy, to hear these same arguments in the video is disappointing to say the least.

There is some incredible passive-aggressiveness here, along with the fact that, as clear from 8:00, they still aren't aware of some very basic things.

8:45: Despite being told otherwise, they went ahead and assumed what they assumed through the email without taking care to ask anyone else about what things mean. This has nothing to do with "unwritten guidelines" and is almost certainly because of what I wrote before: people weren't aware of IGG's cancellation policies, and you didn't send any follow-up emails explaining this issue, leading to what looks like the campaign not being cancelled.

I'm also not sure when this video was made, but MyACG has made various acknowledgements that they've violated the guidelines and are trying to fix the situation. As I've said many times in that thread, nobody is saying that this is okay (11:55 wat). They make several claims about their situation that are similarly outdated.

They then go on to make various arguments that I also addressed in that thread by proxy from ShinesBright. One in particular is the claim that they don't give credit to Team Shanghai Alice, when they clearly do early on in every page I've seen the project. They also claim that MyACG isn't under the same "heat", where 1) they cannot possibly know this, and should be well aware that there can be a lot of private communication, and 2) the circumstances of the projects are different and the main reason TSSB got the attention it did was because ZUN tweeted at all.

12:45 I get the frustration of not understanding how a different culture operates and getting flak for it, and I can't blame anyone for not knowing, but as I've said in nearly every post, you didn't even ask. I cannot understand how anyone can think that it's just completely okay to use the IP of others to make your own thing.

Then more stuff I addressed in the other thread.

Yes, Cave Story is a doujin game. I'm not sure why it was brought up.

14:00 Oh my god you guys there really really wouldn't be these issues if you just asked people things rather than making huge assumptions and then saying it's risky. Of course it's risky if you have no idea what you're doing but make assumptions about everything, that's why we're here right now! The derivative guidelines aren't fickle or constantly-changing, nor does ZUN just make stuff up as he goes; that is an incredibly demeaning accusation. If this were actually the case, nobody would want to make Touhou stuff. Meanwhile, the guidelines have changed since 2004 a grand total of once, where we just had some additions.

Overall I'm really disappointed that things had to end this way. Nearly 100% of this case has been due to a lack of understanding that still seems to persist, with very few signs that FSS has been paying any attention to what we've been saying. I'll continue to cheer for the project nonetheless and wish you guys continued success, but my god this is all just so incredibly unnecessary.

yeah pretty much what you said. They seemed to assume far too much, which is never a good thing. And I felt awkward listening to them in that video due to all the passive agressiveness in it. WHich is a shame because it looked like before this crowdfunding they were paying a lot of attention here and to the source meterial, and it was gonna be a great game.

My only worry right now is i hope this hasn't tarnished and ruined western made touhou games...

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #659 on: January 22, 2015, 08:01:58 AM »
I wouldn't be too worried about that, provided a second similar case doesn't crop up (and it better not). There are already a number of foreigners who are creating under ZUN's guidelines, so it would take a little bit more before that trust is totally lost.