Author Topic: FIFA World Cup 2014  (Read 78377 times)

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
Re: FIFA World Cup 2014
« Reply #600 on: July 06, 2014, 08:12:14 AM »
It's not different, but people will obviously hate something that bores them. You can hate it but respect the strategy. You've pretty much said it yourself.

redlakitu

« Reply #601 on: July 06, 2014, 09:38:56 AM »
Now i have an honest question for you all: i've noticed a lot of flak against those teams which plays only defensively, hoping for a lucky counter-attack or reaching the penalties. Why is that? I know that kind of play is boring as hell (i dislike it myself) but it still is a legitimate tactic used against a stronger opponent.
In many sports when you face someone stronger you need to whittle him down or tire him out while avoiding heavy blows and no one complain about it. Why in football is different?
I always say that I don't mind the underdogs playing very defensively. For example, that was Costa Rica's only option yesterday, since playing an open game against the Netherlands would mean sharing the fate of Spain. They do what they need in order to survive, and that's understandable. Now, when a team with enormous offensive potential does that, like Argentina now or Spain in 2012, that's simply annoying. That's not what I expect.  They have every right to play as defensively as they want, but then I have the right to hate them for trying to bore me to death.

There's also another aspect. Defensive playing can be spectacular. Mourinho is often accused of "anti-football", but his teams often score ridiculous numbers of goals. Blazing fast counterattacks are a joy to watch. Argentina's playing style, however, is just excruciating and makes you fall asleep. Again, it's their choice, but it's also a sure way to make everyone hate you.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #602 on: July 06, 2014, 11:46:38 AM »
That whole thing where Argentina constantly takes half an hour to throw in a ball is awful and they should all be ejected. :|

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #603 on: July 06, 2014, 11:56:07 AM »
There's blame to be spread all around for Neymar's injury. The Brasil side was thugging it up in the first half, the ref was letting them do it, and the Colombian side decided to thug it up in response in the second half. That entire game was something between soccer and rugby and it sucks that one of the game's brightest stars paid the price for it.

That ref absolutely needs to go, if nothing else. Too bad FIFA can never admit any wrong when it comes to officiating so this will never happen. (I think Z??iga's intent was to foul, possibly hard, but not to injure, and I wouldn't give him anything remotely close to what Suarez got.)

PS, Kilga: I've seen Robben also perform 1 dive this game which was faking. All the others were nasty fauls to simply stop him.

Not just Robben, the entire side. Particularly Van Persie getting behind the defender in the box with the ball and getting knocked over by a fingertip brush instead of just shooting the damn ball. I invite you to watch that play again, watch the Messi play in question again, and then come back and tell me this again with a straight face.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #604 on: July 06, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
That ref absolutely needs to go, if nothing else.
When a game's that violent I'm actually not sure the ref can do anything. Handing out cards more frequently doesn't... sound like something that would have changed things.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #605 on: July 06, 2014, 02:27:32 PM »
The ref could/should have taken control of the match early on and didn't. It got as bad as it did because of that.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #606 on: July 06, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »
Regarding defensive teams. Costa Rica didn't play defensive, Costa Rica played a gamble match. They simply drawn out the game to forcefully bring to penalties kick, being overconfident. They have been mass defending 0-0 from minute one and made it tighter 2nd half. I compared them to Greece, but Greece plays a heavy counter-attack when they find the opportunities. Costa didn't even bother countering until 1-3 times at 115 minutes. They played anti-football with one pure goal: Penalties. I don't even know if I should call it a strategy, it is mere gambling. But I guess that is their style.

1/2 are going to be orz.

Not just Robben, the entire side. Particularly Van Persie getting behind the defender in the box with the ball and getting knocked over by a fingertip brush instead of just shooting the damn ball. I invite you to watch that play again, watch the Messi play in question again, and then come back and tell me this again with a straight face.
Do you mean the position where he missed the goal (ball passed just in front of him) and then went down on his knees / fall over? Because that wasn't even a dive to lure out penalty but a failed-falter-on-knees.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #607 on: July 06, 2014, 03:24:59 PM »
When a game's that violent I'm actually not sure the ref can do anything. Handing out cards more frequently doesn't... sound like something that would have changed things.
Putting out cards early will basically give a message to both teams that playing rough is not an option whatsoever. Because he didn't both teams thought they could get away with a lot =/

Regarding defensive teams. Costa Rica didn't play defensive, Costa Rica played a gamble match. They simply drawn out the game to forcefully bring to penalties kick, being overconfident. They have been mass defending 0-0 from minute one and made it tighter 2nd half. I compared them to Greece, but Greece plays a heavy counter-attack when they find the opportunities. Costa didn't even bother countering until 1-3 times at 115 minutes. They played anti-football with one pure goal: Penalties. I don't even know if I should call it a strategy, it is mere gambling. But I guess that is their style.
It's still a strategy. They don't play counter-attack style because they usually mostly play a possession game, but they know they were no match for Netherlands. So I don't blame CR for playing the way they did, so I mostly blame Netherlands for not taking advantage and scoring goals when they should have (that and the CR goalie was pretty good that game).

Don't be surprised if you see other teams play like this because it seems to be the best counter to Netherlands gameplan. They seem to have the most trouble against this tactic and other teams are definitely seeing it.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #608 on: July 06, 2014, 04:02:52 PM »
I mostly blame Netherlands for not taking advantage and scoring goals when they should have (that and the CR goalie was pretty good that game).
They casted some kind of vodoo curse on their goal because the ball never wanted to go in and players randomly fall around the 11m

« Reply #609 on: July 06, 2014, 06:21:17 PM »
You're free to call Costa Rica's tactics that game "anti-football", but teams that don't have the capabilities or quality as their opposition aren't obliged to bend over and get their ass rammed.

Also, here's my favorite Robben dive from that match: "Ow my face!"

wailofthebanshee

• Go away for a bit.
« Reply #610 on: July 06, 2014, 07:02:15 PM »
Now i have an honest question for you all: i've noticed a lot of flak against those teams which plays only defensively, hoping for a lucky counter-attack or reaching the penalties. Why is that? I know that kind of play is boring as hell (i dislike it myself) but it still is a legitimate tactic used against a stronger opponent.
In many sports when you face someone stronger you need to whittle him down or tire him out while avoiding heavy blows and no one complain about it. Why in football is different?
That's not how they played though. After the first 20 minutes I counted one (1) significant counterattack at the end from costa rica. They did fuck all for the rest of the match.
They have 0 offensive power. A team like that simply doesn't deserve to advance. It was pretty much decided then and there that italy/urgay/england were indeed just terrible teams. I'm happy holland got through.
Maybe it's just me, but I want the actual good teams to win the world cup. Could be just me though.

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #611 on: July 06, 2014, 07:28:52 PM »
They have 0 offensive power. A team like that simply doesn't deserve to advance. It was pretty much decided then and there that italy/urgay/england were indeed just terrible teams.

The way you spelled Uruguay amuses me  :3

U R GAY  :D

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #612 on: July 06, 2014, 07:34:40 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I want the actual good teams to win the world cup. Could be just me though.
Don't worry they're all still in it :V

Also
A team like that simply doesn't deserve to advance.
Nah if they won it would've been quite a thing because that team had quite the heart, especially considering this was the furthest CR has ever gotten in the WC stage. But I will agree Holland deserved to win because of how much they attacked, but if they lost it would've been all Holland's fault for not taking full advantage of their chances.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #613 on: July 06, 2014, 08:53:59 PM »
The team that deserves to win is the team that puts the ball in the net more than the other team. No more, no less.

Don't like your opponent's strategy? Change up your strategy to counter theirs. If you can't, maybe you're not as much the better team as you thought you were.

Edible

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #615 on: July 07, 2014, 04:49:40 PM »
Legitimately surprised at how low Italy and Argentina are.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #616 on: July 07, 2014, 05:26:46 PM »
Brazil is very efficient, it spends roughly 11 seconds per successful 'injury'.  Gotta writhe faster.
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #617 on: July 07, 2014, 09:12:33 PM »
Looks like USA has the among the highest "writhing time per injury." U S A U S A

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Edible

« Reply #618 on: July 07, 2014, 10:10:55 PM »
Looks like USA has the among the highest "writhing time per injury." U S A U S A

WE'RE NUMBER ONE

WE'RE NUMBER ONE

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #619 on: July 08, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
Deustchland ?ber Alles woo
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #620 on: July 08, 2014, 07:58:40 PM »
>Germany has never beaten Brazil in a competitive game

well that's reassuring :V
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:23:53 PM by Suikama »

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #621 on: July 08, 2014, 08:23:36 PM »
WHERE'S YOUR REASSURANCE NOW

VAI FLAMENGO PORRA
                                                                                   .

« Reply #622 on: July 08, 2014, 08:23:57 PM »
>Germany scores
>cut to German manager
>no fucks given

e: 3-0 what am i watching

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #623 on: July 08, 2014, 08:25:09 PM »
Meh. That's the end for Brazil already.

EDIT: 4x0 lol.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Jirachi

• Wish Maker
  • yawn...
« Reply #624 on: July 08, 2014, 08:25:43 PM »
holy shit 4-0

gg

« Reply #625 on: July 08, 2014, 08:26:13 PM »
okay now this is just embarrassing to watch

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #626 on: July 08, 2014, 08:26:19 PM »
The announcers here cannot believe the space Germany is given if that's any help.

Now it's 4-0. I can't believe this is really happening. Wow.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #627 on: July 08, 2014, 08:27:16 PM »
Holy shit this is some Anschluss level shit

related:
                                                                                   .

redlakitu

« Reply #628 on: July 08, 2014, 08:27:38 PM »
Please don't wake me up. PLEASE don't wake me up.

« Reply #629 on: July 08, 2014, 08:29:19 PM »
5-0

this isn't going to stop is it