Author Topic: FIFA World Cup 2014  (Read 78401 times)

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
Re: FIFA World Cup 2014
« Reply #360 on: June 25, 2014, 01:57:02 AM »
Maybe Japan should send their women's team next time. They might stand half a chance.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #361 on: June 25, 2014, 05:43:15 AM »
I went to bed with a satisfactory 1-1 which Japan made in the last second of the first half. Then I wake up to hear from my dad Japan got wrecked. RIP Japan from this WC.

« Reply #362 on: June 25, 2014, 11:06:48 AM »
RIP Japan

German Newspapers proclaim the downfall of the European football, because the South American teams are so dominant.
I wonder if it will be the same as in 2010 where only one South American team was left in the semifinal (this time without Spain, but with France) :bzzz:

« Reply #363 on: June 25, 2014, 11:35:38 AM »
The average temperature here is fairly high, so I would imagine the heat must be getting in the way of the euro teams. The heat after running for a few minutes must be near unbearable to someone who's used to a colder climate.

(On a semi-related note, if the 2022 world cup does end up taking place in Qatar it's going to be a joy to watch)

« Reply #364 on: June 25, 2014, 12:03:04 PM »
(On a semi-related note, if the 2022 world cup does end up taking place in Qatar it's going to be a joy to watch)

They will just play at 3am  :derp:

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #365 on: June 25, 2014, 12:19:02 PM »
They will just play at 3am  :derp:
...indoors...

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #366 on: June 25, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »
...indoors...

on an ice rink  :V

« Reply #367 on: June 25, 2014, 04:03:23 PM »
welp 3 minutes in and messi scores :V

and one minute later nigeria scores
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:05:01 PM by Suikama »

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #368 on: June 25, 2014, 05:01:59 PM »
You know, here where i live there are a lot of guys that criticize Messi because he plays poorly with the national team and is not decisive......

.......i wonder where they are atm.....  :derp:

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #369 on: June 25, 2014, 05:03:17 PM »
MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #370 on: June 25, 2014, 06:59:21 PM »
You know, here where i live there are a lot of guys that criticize Messi because he plays poorly with the national team and is not decisive......

.......i wonder where they are atm.....  :derp:
Complaining that he's not good enough in Barca.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #371 on: June 25, 2014, 08:34:20 PM »
Complaining that he's not good enough in Barca.
so Madrid fans.

Speaking of, I've noticed that most divers the World Cup are Madrid players :V

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #372 on: June 26, 2014, 10:24:12 AM »
Uruguay attempts to defend Count Su?rez with the claim of Photoshopped bite marks! Quite the silly defence attempt. :getdown:

Anyways, today's games ought to be a fun one. Might just watch at local sports pub surrounded by crazy American fans, even though I'm more inclined for the Germans. :V
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #373 on: June 26, 2014, 12:03:49 PM »
Even if United States loses, Ghana needs to at least make 2 goals without any against in order to win by goal differences. Though perhaps United States and Germany will play pattycake and be chill (play tie) then both Porto and Ghana will be bye bye.

Get hyped United States , as you're going to 1/8 finals.

Edit: If United States survives the 1/8 and the 1/4, we might be having a showdown of NL vs USA, USA, USA, USA, USA at semi finals. Wouldn't that be funny?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 12:07:08 PM by Helepolis »

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #374 on: June 26, 2014, 12:10:14 PM »
As long as Portugal doesn't go through I'm happy with either Ghana or FREEDOM

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #375 on: June 26, 2014, 12:12:08 PM »
Edit: If United States survives the 1/8 and the 1/4, we might be having a showdown of NL vs USA, USA, USA, USA, USA at semi finals. Wouldn't that be funny?
That would be a most peculiar matchup, to which I side with the Robben train. :P

Also seconding anti-Portuguese sentiment ~ :smokedcheese:
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #376 on: June 26, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »
I'm already kinda miffed with Ur-a-guy and Greece. Ronaldo is small fry on that front.

I'm worried things will be really boring until like the semis for a lot of the matchups because of the group stage upsets and bad groups. (C, F, H anyone?)

redlakitu

« Reply #377 on: June 26, 2014, 12:59:39 PM »
Muntari and Boateng are out for some serious misbehavior. Ghana is going to have a hard time today.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #378 on: June 26, 2014, 01:22:22 PM »
That is funny news, because I just read on Dutch news site that 3 million US dollar in cash was delivered to Ghana players under direct orders from Ghana's president. It was money to motivate the players (because they refused to train yesterday).

South African teams are odd ones. They only play for the money it seems.

OH WAIT.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #379 on: June 26, 2014, 01:32:14 PM »
Everywhere I look it seems people have different views on the whole "should Germany and USA play for a draw" schtick. My logical mind tends to lean toward the possibility that they will, maybe if only near the end if the score happens to be tied by then, but of course no one on either team is suggesting anything of the sort, nor should they. This is gonna be an exciting afternoon. I'm technically rooting for Portugal in the other game because I don't see them winning any tiebreakers anyway. Ghana still worries me, even with those two players suspended, if only because we Americans are used to Ghana knocking us out by now. :V
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

redlakitu

« Reply #380 on: June 26, 2014, 01:33:50 PM »
South African teams are odd ones. They only play for the money it seems.

OH WAIT.
A few days before the World Cup, Cameroon players refused to participate because they thought the compensation was too low. They got what they wanted, but still, national football really should be more about playing for your country and less about the money. I understand that Africa is poor and so money is very welcome, but come on, almost all Cameroon and Ghana players on the World Cup play in rich European clubs, and those who don't probably aren't influential enough to lead a mutiny. It's the big names who start the uproar. Boateng plays for Schalke, Muntari plays for Milan.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 01:36:31 PM by navpirx »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #381 on: June 26, 2014, 02:01:30 PM »
lolSuarez got banned for 9 matches, starting with the next match.

What a moron.

« Reply #382 on: June 26, 2014, 02:49:57 PM »
1 hour left.

Go Germany go, no goals pls so America is in for sure  :derp:

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #383 on: June 26, 2014, 03:16:29 PM »
I think the US team is good enough that a tie is certainly very possible just due to the nature of the sport, but I very much doubt either side is actually going to play for one. Both sides have a tremendous respect for the game, and at least in the US case, they're not really in a position where they can afford to play passively against an offense that could drop 4 or 5 on them.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #384 on: June 26, 2014, 03:40:32 PM »
Even if United States loses, Ghana needs to at least make 2 goals without any against in order to win by goal differences. Though perhaps United States and Germany will play pattycake and be chill (play tie) then both Porto and Ghana will be bye bye.

Get hyped United States , as you're going to 1/8 finals.

Man I'm still a little miffed about the Portugal game, because that would make today irrelevant, but recent developments have relieved my stress somewhat. Especially Ghana missing a couple key players. I don't see the US or Germany playing for a tie until late, if at all.  It really depends on what Germany wants. Do they want to solidify winning the group and potentially going up against France and Brasil/Columbia, or do they play for the tie, risk taking 2nd, and face Belgium, Argentina/Swiss, and the Netherlands? I personally am sold that they want to win the group, so they're going to play for a solid win (2+ goals).

Getting to the round of 16 in 2 straight World Cups would mean a lot to people in America who actually care about the sport outside of the WC. It's not going to be easy though; worst case scenario we cannot afford a blowout like the one Germany gave Portugal. Doing so gives POR/GHA a chance to catch up. If we can keep it within a 1 goal game then Ghana would have to win by 2+ goals to advance. On top of that if we score 1 goal then they have to score at least 3; only Germany has scored that many in our group.

Looking past that, assuming the US advances, things look fun. As funny as a USA/NED semifinal would be, we would have to beat Belgium (dark horse) and the winner of Switzerland/Argentina. There's also history against us; the US has made 1 semifinal in it's history....in 1930.  :derp: Still, one can dream.

If results hold, the Netherlands seem to have one of the easiest roads to the final. As much as I hate to admit it, it must be nice to potentially face 2 CONCACAF teams in the first two knockout games. The left side looks absolutely brutal.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #385 on: June 26, 2014, 04:51:47 PM »
Halftime. Couldn't ask for much more that half. Holding Germany scoreless while Ghana falls behind is right now among the best-case scenarios I could dream of.

Right now the USA has a 3 goal-diff advantage over Ghana and 4 over Portugal. If their game stays like that we could lose 3-0 and still move on due to tiebreakers. A goal would seriously be nice though.

EDIT: 5-0, I forgot Portugal winning puts them at 4 pts, thus it's their GD that matters.  :derp:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:55:00 PM by Mimeslayer »

1CC List (all shmups)

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #386 on: June 26, 2014, 04:54:19 PM »
lolSuarez got banned for 9 matches, starting with the next match.

What a moron.

Who did he eat this time?

« Reply #387 on: June 26, 2014, 05:13:25 PM »
german goal noooooooooo

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #388 on: June 26, 2014, 05:16:54 PM »
On top of that, Ghana just tied. If they take the lead and we don't score they go through.

1CC List (all shmups)

« Reply #389 on: June 26, 2014, 05:18:30 PM »
ronaldo pls you are our only hope