Author Topic: FIFA World Cup 2014  (Read 78412 times)

aListers

• Vocaloid for the win!
  • Gensokyo forever!
    • Newgrounds
Re: FIFA World Cup 2014
« Reply #210 on: June 19, 2014, 09:08:21 PM »
Woo! England lost! Now their chances are low but unfortunately it's still possible. I also say a Scottish guy in the Uruguay crowd with a Scottish flag - there's always one at every world cup.

Now to hope that Japan go through.
???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era.

Been good talking to you all. Gensokyo gu braith!

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #211 on: June 19, 2014, 09:09:34 PM »
I'm predicting a pretty safe 9-3-3-3 for this group. Someone remind me how this works? Are goal differences the tiebreaker?

Bingo.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2014, 09:11:25 PM »
I'm predicting a pretty safe 9-3-3-3 for this group. Someone remind me how this works? Are goal differences the tiebreaker?

as long as Italy is Cirno i'm fine with this prediction  :V

If i remember correct before goal difference there is the direct match as tiebreaker

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #213 on: June 19, 2014, 09:17:20 PM »
It has to be Italia unless you think they're gonna lose their match tomorrow.

Direct matches would be my preference, though I don't recall any instances of that.

Espadas

« Reply #214 on: June 19, 2014, 09:28:53 PM »
It has to be Italia unless you think they're gonna lose their match tomorrow.

I sure as hell hope we win tomorrow but if there is a wild card among international teams is Italy. There is simply NO safe match for us..... come on, we managed to get LAST PLACE in a group with New Zealand, Paraguay and Slovakia (no offence intended)!

On the other hand, we are also the team that NEVER lost a competitive match against Germany, EVER....  :V

So yeah, "safe" isn't a word i would use about our matches   :D

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #215 on: June 19, 2014, 10:18:43 PM »
Doubt Japan will get past Colombia into the Round of 16, but against Greece they can manage (though barely, thus making the game a snoozefest thus far).

As for England, well, haha, it all depends on the Italian performance! :getdown:

EDIT: Hot damn, red card on Greek side makes things more hopeful for Japan.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 10:39:10 PM by DX7_EP »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

aListers

• Vocaloid for the win!
  • Gensokyo forever!
    • Newgrounds
« Reply #216 on: June 19, 2014, 11:56:01 PM »
Japan didn't win, Greece were falling over japan and it was a very boring game. I'm glad I can sleep now. Japan deserved the win - Greece just did nothing but defend though and not in a way that's exciting.
???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era.

Been good talking to you all. Gensokyo gu braith!

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #217 on: June 19, 2014, 11:58:36 PM »
Aaaaaaand...

0-0.

Disappointed... especially when they had player advantage for most of the game. Still, at least they have a point~ :V

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #218 on: June 20, 2014, 12:00:54 AM »
I disagree, I felt Japan, despite dominating possession, did not impress me in terms of breaking down and getting quality shots. Greece had 10 men and they still almost won the game with a couple good shots. I agree that the game was awfully boring though.

I was constantly reminded about how Japan's women's team (aka the Nadeshiko) was pissed 2 years ago when they had to fly to the Olympics via coach while the men's team got first-class; this despite the fact that the Nadeshiko just won the Women's WC the previous summer. If the men's team goes out with 1 point and the women's team goes back-to-back I would hope that situation is reversed.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

« Reply #219 on: June 20, 2014, 01:15:36 AM »
I disagree, I felt Japan, despite dominating possession, did not impress me in terms of breaking down and getting quality shots. Greece had 10 men and they still almost won the game with a couple good shots. I agree that the game was awfully boring though.

Almost won? What are you talking about, they had like 2 shots at the goal, the rest was off mark anyway. Greece is the shittiest team with their 8 man defense, they can only play on counter and standards. Japan was not able to deal with it.

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #220 on: June 20, 2014, 01:40:21 AM »
Those 2 shots on goal were more than I saw from Japan, or at least equal.

8-man defense? You mean a team that went down a man threw everyone on defense to try and salvage a point? Horrible! That never happens!

I'm not saying Greece was good by any means, but I honestly don't see how "Japan deserved to win" at all. Greece threw everyone on defense most of the game and challenged Japan to break them down. Japan failed to do so; honestly for most of the match they weren't close. A draw was, in my opinion, the correct result.

1CC List (all shmups)

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #221 on: June 20, 2014, 01:48:19 AM »
I don't claim to know much about futbol but both japan and greece looked pretty awful compared to other teams I've seen thus far :v

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #222 on: June 20, 2014, 01:58:53 AM »
Japan is Honda and a bunch of scrubs. If he's not on it's hard for them to look like they even belong in the Round of 32.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #223 on: June 20, 2014, 06:06:19 AM »
8-man defense? You mean a team that went down a man threw everyone on defense to try and salvage a point? Horrible! That never happens!

Oh come on, Greece plays 4-4-2 most of the time. They always wall off because they cannot play differently.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #224 on: June 20, 2014, 06:41:28 AM »
I think people who are surprised about Greece massdeffing should look back at the Euro Cup where they basically reached the finals and became champion by, you guessed it, massdeffing. It is Greece' style for a decade. Nothing new.

Japan's prestige is extremely disappointing. Cannot see the fire they had at SA world cup. England yesterday was to cry for as well. Never expected vampire Suarez to make a goal. England is really making me sad as I was expecting some action. What a disaster group.

It seems to me this World Cup is suffering from lots of ancient and fossilized players. Might as well rename it to the Elder World Cup of 65+ players.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #225 on: June 20, 2014, 07:03:14 AM »
You mean Elder World Cup of Ages 65+.

I'm looking at the schedule. There doesn't seem to be anything interesting in a while. Italy vs Costa Rica and France vs the Swiss is fine, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:05:05 AM by BT »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #226 on: June 20, 2014, 07:10:36 AM »
Aye to both :V

Pretty much most of the groups are decided. Japan's group remains interesting as all of have chance to reach the 1/8. And several other groups as well.

Espadas

« Reply #227 on: June 20, 2014, 07:53:03 AM »
You mean Elder World Cup of Ages 65+.

I'm looking at the schedule. There doesn't seem to be anything interesting in a while. Italy vs Costa Rica and France vs the Swiss is fine, I guess.

inb4 Argentina can't break the iranian wall and Germany get rekt by Ghana...... (yeaaaah right.... i wonder what odds the english bookmakers would give me for this  :V )

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #228 on: June 20, 2014, 09:21:16 AM »
Your odds would be high. Regarding Germany, sure they punished Porto, but Porto was not in shape although Germany was very strong. Their attacking speed is immense and ball control is pretty solid on mid field. Germany might be kicking far this WC.

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #229 on: June 20, 2014, 04:09:19 PM »
In sad news, the youngest Toure brother died Thursday. :( No word yet if the two brothers will will stay in Brazil.

1CC List (all shmups)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #230 on: June 20, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »
RIP. Sudden sports death at such a young age? Heart failure suspected.

--

Italy vs Costa, I wonder if Super Mario is going to win this stage for Italy.

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #231 on: June 20, 2014, 04:49:51 PM »
1-0 Costa Rica; arguably justice after not getting a penalty call. England's in real trouble now!

1CC List (all shmups)

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2014, 04:56:58 PM »
This would be the biggest surprise of the tournament. South America dominating Europe. It would be quite a shock if both Italy and England are eliminated.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2014, 05:04:19 PM »
I'm still biased against Uruguay's chances considering dat first game.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2014, 05:27:51 PM »
So in what can only be described as a real life rendition of a Polanball comic, a chating duel broke out between Chileans and Argentinians on the sands of the Copacabana beach, lasting for about 2 hours of escalating offensiveness and aggression, jokes about Pinochet and the Malvinas/Falklands and ultimately breaking into a fight, that ceased only with intervention of the USA, complete with chants of yeah 'merica

If that's not fucking perfect I don't know what is

The page is in portuguese, but the video makes sense for anyone
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2014, 05:56:38 PM »
CONCACAF STRONG

GET WRECKED EVERYONE ELSE
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #236 on: June 20, 2014, 05:58:51 PM »
Wow, and another one falls to Costa Rica. I haven't seen Mexico play personally due to recovery, so I may be wrong, but CR looks like the most dangerous CONCACAF team this WC. Not only do they win, they do so entertainingly.

Fun facts with this result:
Costa Rica has beaten 2 previous WC champs, and has a chance to go 3-0 against England.
CONCACAF is currently 4-1-1 in this WC. Who saw that coming?
Costa Rica  now has 1/9 the wins (5) as Italy (45)

1CC List (all shmups)

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2014, 06:34:33 PM »
Costa-Rica knocks England out without even playing them.

Also this is England's fastest exit from the World Cup EVER. We've only gone out in the Group stage once before ['56 if I recall from the commentators]; and were were not out until we'd played our 3rd game. We're out before our 3rd game.

Knowing tradition Hodgeson will have the sack in a few days after he returns.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Espadas

« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2014, 07:15:47 PM »
*slamming head against wall*

I told you.  :trollface:

And as usual we respect tradition: the very moment someone start taking notice of us (in this case, the british rooting for us) we play like drunk 10y olds.....
Congratulations to Costa Rica for actually winning the group where they supposedly were the sparring partners!

And now the last matches of our group are polar opposites: England-Costa Rica is worthless, Italy-Uruguay will be a massacre  :derp:

(not-so) fun fact: it seems we cannot win the second match of World/Euro Cup (the last time was in 2000 >_>)

redlakitu

« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2014, 07:41:28 PM »
I *love* counterattacks like France's third goal! They are literally the best thing in football.