Author Topic: Smash 4 Hype Thread - 3DS is out; WiiU hype train FULL STEAM AHEAD  (Read 121275 times)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Re: Smash 4 Hype Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2014, 06:01:05 PM »
As if we needed more clones.
To be fair I think she's the one actually confirmed clone so far?

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2014, 07:01:08 PM »
Essentially. And this is assuming that there aren't other significant differences between their movesets, which seems unlikely.

The lack of a sweetspot worries me slightly though. While this might make using her attacks easier, you'd probably still want to hit from as far away as possible as part of a normal spacing game. The question I have is whether each of her attacks will still have suitable knockback - they'll likely fall right in between Marth's sweetspot and sourspot knockback, but will her KO moves hit hard enough to kill, and will her other moves hit weakly enough to combo effectively? Though there's also the chance that certain moves will still be flat out as strong as Marth's anyway. I'm already anxious to learn more about how she'll work.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2014, 04:20:52 PM »
So Robin's sword is activated with smash attacks, and only works a number of times before it breaks and becomes a bronze sword. Also it looks like Robin's UpB is Elwind, Down be is Nosferatu, Side B is Arcfire, and Neutral B is Thunder and varies depending on how long you charge it. I guess if you have no Tome then you can't use specials which means you can't recover.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2014, 04:42:08 PM »
Reading the comments of that link...

Im mad chorm is part of robin's final smash i was hoping for chorm on monday

Chorm y. y u no Smush. 8(

Also that sounds interesting. I wonder how long it takes for the tomes/sword to regenerate?
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2014, 05:01:52 PM »
Between Palutena; Robin; Little Mac and that... Star woman from Mario Galaxy all having gimmicks I wonder how many other newcomers have Gimmicks.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2014, 06:39:42 PM »
man even just watching the new ledge mechanic is tripping me out

definitely gonna take some unlearning to get used to it

and then its gonna mess me up if i try going back to older smashes >_>

Lucina has a taunt that lets her put on or remove the mask, in a similar fashion to Guile's "sunglasses" taunt in Ultra Street Fighter 4.
aw yisss
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:00:44 PM by Captain Suikama »

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2014, 09:05:44 PM »
Between Palutena; Robin; Little Mac and that... Star woman from Mario Galaxy all having gimmicks I wonder how many other newcomers have Gimmicks.
I think we can argue Megaman's buster as his regular attack might be a bit gimmicky when compared to everyone else's traditional punchin' and kickin' game, so you could add him to the list.

I don't know what you have against Rosalina, but I am a tad offended you don't mention her by name.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

wailofthebanshee

• Go away for a bit.
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2014, 09:09:45 PM »
who is toon link

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2014, 10:21:52 PM »
mask taunt aww yesssss

maximum marth disrespect

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2014, 10:34:48 PM »
who is toon link
at least toon link has some different moves

Lucina's moveset will be exactly the same :derp:

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2014, 10:52:33 PM »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2014, 03:12:42 AM »
who is toon link
that's a good question

the answer is someone I completely forgot was in the game whoops

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2014, 09:29:20 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's confirmed that there will be 0 character switching this time
Ah well, I'd still love to see at least one EO character make it into Smash. Heck, SMT started out as a Nintendo series, there's always the possibility of an SMT4 appearance...

=====

Toon Link needs a Minish Cap clone/alt. I think he could do some interesting stuff with the items from that game. Think about it: Gust Jar as his double jump, Cane of Pacci to stun or launch enemies, use the Picori Blade to create clones of himself...I think it could be fun. :D

And yes I have been playing Minish Cap recently :V

I don't have much else to say about the characters, but now I'm curious about the stages: What will they use to represent FE? There are quite a few interesting locations, but nothing that really comes off the top of my head, though
Spoiler:
fighting on the back of Grima would be wicked awesome.
Maybe have something like Mute City in Melee where a platform carries you through various spots on a battlefield, or transport you between different maps completely.

wailofthebanshee

• Go away for a bit.
« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2014, 01:35:03 PM »
that's a good question

the answer is someone I completely forgot was in the game whoops
can't blame you, he's pretty forgettable

as for lucina
if it looks like Marth and has the same abilities and hitbox as Marth, it's Marth. At this point I can't think of any other reason but laziness. This is THE biggest nintendo game after all. You'd think they'd have enough resources available to give each character a unique moveset.
Can't wait for that falcondorf confirmation. NOT.

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2014, 03:09:07 PM »
Ganondorf with his own unique moveset would be pretty sweet though.
They could stick with his TP incarnation or go with the Wind Waker version and have him dual-wield those swords.
Come to think of it, there's no dual-wielding character in Smash, right? (No, Pit doesn't really count)

(Or have Aghanim join. But that's really unlikely.)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2014, 10:32:32 PM »
just gonna leave this here

gigi da bess :*

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #167 on: July 18, 2014, 02:58:19 AM »
Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!
So basically Lucina was a skin but then Sakurai was like eh fuck it give her no tippers and make her a separate char

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2014, 04:29:00 AM »
She's also shorter (you know, she's female so)

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2014, 02:48:35 PM »
Actually, that makes me curious, I wonder if both Robins have the same hitboxes despite male Rob being taller?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2014, 04:45:38 PM »
Actually, that makes me curious, I wonder if both Robins have the same hitboxes despite male Rob being taller?
All the other male/female swaps have been identical

« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2014, 01:46:28 AM »
Okay so now if you land on the ground during an air dodge it has a lot of landing lag

So if you can bait out an air dodge while on the ground with something quick you can get a free punish

oh Megaman actually has no Ftilt

he just does his jab (pew pew) while walking :derp:

yoshi can jump out of shield now wow finally
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 02:08:18 AM by Captain Suikama »

Drake

« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2014, 02:25:31 AM »
Okay so now if you land on the ground during an air dodge it has a lot of landing lag
literally anti-wavedash

Samus has very little landing lag for her aerials though, wonder if it applies to airdodge too.

yoshi can jump out of shield now wow finally
First thing I asked people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5nqJIWQKzs

i am so hype for yoshi

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2014, 02:41:14 AM »
bitches be mad they can't take no-effort ledge hog kills no more
hi drake

about these vids, the first few videos kinda suck and they covered all the new chars so bleh

also if there really is no invincibility on ledge regrab then the new 'edgehog' is wait for them to sweetspot -> instant edgehog knock them off the edge -> let them sweetspot again but with no invincibility -> run off bair stage spike

all we can really hope for now is nerfed metaknight

sakuri pls
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 02:44:08 AM by Captain Suikama »

Drake

« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2014, 03:59:29 AM »
hi drake
I can't even remember which video I posted that on lol

about these vids, the first few videos kinda suck and they covered all the new chars so bleh
Yeah I just watched them because they actually just showed the moves and I didn't get enough time to test during the BB event. Plus no Yoshi in my copy seriously what

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2014, 04:07:30 AM »
I love how it's pretty much flipping off melee
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2014, 04:42:07 AM »
I love how it's pretty much flipping off melee
???

the airdodge is nothing like melee's. it's just brawls except you cant spam it near the ground now because it has lag.

« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2014, 11:10:35 PM »
New Bowser is op in free for alls

He's super heavy and kills easily with butt slam and his new forward smash drop kick

also in case you didnt know stuff is going on here

Bowser's new back air is beautiful

Bowser's Fsmash is incredible

Bowser vs Bowser grand finals

Bowser confirmed God Tier

If Smash 4 becomes a big body powerfest then oh my god yes
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 01:19:05 AM by Captain Suikama »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2014, 01:02:21 PM »
The tourney last night was pretty encouraging. I only caught the Top 8, but the play among the top players was fun to watch, which is a good sign for the game's tourney viability down the road. Like everyone else, I'm also hyped at Bowser actually being good (at least from what was revealed so far). That shield break, man. :V
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #179 on: July 26, 2014, 03:42:05 PM »
Yeah watching that tourney is making me wanna play Bowser this time around. Not to say I haven't used him before in Melee and Brawl. I just never used him often. As far as heavy characters went, I stuck to Dedede and only Dedede.

Rosalina also looked pretty good, if not a bit tricky.