Author Topic: RPG Mafia Thread IV (Current Game: NSP Mafia)  (Read 144433 times)

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
Re: RPG Mafia Thread IV (Current Game: Trustee Mafia)
« Reply #810 on: June 28, 2014, 07:26:12 PM »
Amazing little detail, but there's a hard-to-miss gender field now. It's a few years late, but congrats, NNR!

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #811 on: June 28, 2014, 08:20:05 PM »
I can still say I'm a guy to confuse NNR, right?

« Reply #812 on: June 29, 2014, 03:10:23 AM »
instead of letting the graveyard alter who wins you should just let them vote on a collective saltvig or something

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #813 on: June 29, 2014, 05:12:38 AM »
The graveyard isn't altering who wins. It's not something that happens after the game is over.

Scum's objective isn't just to lynch town, and town's objective isn't just to lynch scum.

The entire point of the game is scumhunting. Town can win by lynching all scum, but this is more of a stretch goal.
Town really wins by figuring out who the scum are, and convincing each other of this, and scum wins by preventing them from doing that. Lynching the other team makes the job easier, but lynches are NOT the point of the game.

Maybe I should have tried to make a game type without lynches, just so people wouldn't have gotten confused.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:18:59 AM by O4rfish »
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #814 on: June 29, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »
Mafia is in the doldrums recently.
This implies there's a mafia game in signups <.<

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #815 on: June 29, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »
This implies there's a mafia game in signups <.<

There is; O4rfish's.

Speaking of, you should re-post sign-ups and declare a course of action if your desired player count isn't met by X. Please be more assertive.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:20:03 PM by Bardiche »

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #816 on: June 29, 2014, 02:50:47 PM »
There is; O4rfish's.

I think the implication was that it isn't mafia.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #817 on: June 29, 2014, 08:28:20 PM »
Scum's objective isn't just to lynch town, and town's objective isn't just to lynch scum.
If town's objective isn't to lynch scum, then would it be a valid strategy to lynch all the rational obvtowns, and then have them decide the game from the graveyard by picking out the obvious scum that you don't want to lynch because it's autowin if they're still alive in lylo?

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #818 on: June 29, 2014, 09:43:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure scum are sunk if they ever lose a member.

« Reply #819 on: June 29, 2014, 11:38:02 PM »
Scum make it a competition to see who can bus who the hardest

Bardiche

« Reply #820 on: June 30, 2014, 01:45:46 AM »
We should add a rule that anyone who wants to host a game should have played Mafia within the latest x weeks/months/games, because I look at the host list and I see so many non-players we could probably fill 12 player slots easily even if it's a highly experimental game from someone who is an MotK first-time host with almost no MotK play experience.

Conqueror

« Reply #821 on: June 30, 2014, 02:13:54 AM »
Actually my post above is inaccurate since I forgot what the setup was. But I wanted to respond to this:
The entire point of the game is scumhunting. Town can win by lynching all scum, but this is more of a stretch goal.
Town really wins by figuring out who the scum are, and convincing each other of this, and scum wins by preventing them from doing that. Lynching the other team makes the job easier, but lynches are NOT the point of the game.
Actually, from what I can gather, the entire point of the game is townhunting. Find enough town reads and make sure at least one makes it to LYLO and boom, instawin. It doesn't even matter how fast LYLO comes or how many times you mislynched since as far as I can tell town can instawin in LYLO even if there are 4 mafia left.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #822 on: June 30, 2014, 02:41:32 AM »
At this point, O4rfish, you probably want to start the game with the players you have, change the setup, or try again later.
I don't like having to do things like this but I'm giving you 24 hours, since I'll be moving the day after tomorrow, to show some sign of progress towards your game starting.
If you fail to show this progress, I'm kicking you off the queue.
Feel free to re-enter the queue, of course, but you've had your signups running for two and a half weeks now.
Please be more assertive.
You have done virtually nothing to encourage people to join your game.
You asked me earlier how to get people to join your game.
I told you to sell your game, to pull favours, etc.
NNRSky Paladin (fuck those avatars) posted a sample signups post that was interesting to look at.
You haven't even bothered to repost the signups/list of players a single time in the 5 pages/17 days you've had your signups running for.
Step it up, put some more effort into promoting your game, and get something going. Or re-evaluate and try again later.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:03:48 AM by Dormio the Trinity »

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #823 on: June 30, 2014, 03:41:56 AM »
I have a great idea for a chess themed exact 16 player game.

I will make it come to fruition at some point.

Don't lynch me.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #824 on: June 30, 2014, 04:49:43 AM »
Bard, Conq, Dormio, Shadoweh, SB. If you guys had joined the game, we would have been done already twice over.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
Re: RPG Mafia Thread IV (Current Game: Tic-Tac-Toe Mafia)
« Reply #825 on: June 30, 2014, 05:20:53 AM »

Residents of New Human Village have established a Wilderness Foundation to manage a swath of nearby forested land. Certain names have been written into the charter as specifically named beneficiaries.
Chartered beneficiaries have the responsibility of electing trustees to the board, voting and campaigning for them as necessary. It is rumored that there are some Youkai among you. Further, these Youkai are believed to have two abilities: to secretly communicate amongst themselves, and to use magic to duplicate someone's name on the charter, in order to bypass the selection process for installing a trustee onto the board. Some say up to one out of every three people on the list may be a Youkai!

A banquet has been scheduled to inaugurate the Foundation, and ALL residents of the village have been invited. As part of their planning for the banquet, trustees of the Wilderness Foundation will select a non-trustee as keynote speaker from among the chartered beneficiaries. This speech will establish the tone and perception of the entire Foundation, and perhaps even shape its policy for the next decade.

Chartered beneficiaries:

01 ActionDan
02 Raikaria
03 Sky Paladin
04 Raitaki
05 CF7
06 Zakeri
07 Dr Rawr

08 ???
09 ???
10 ???
11 ???
12 ???

Bard, Conq, Dormio, Mitsuki, Pesco, SB, Shadoweh. I'm calling you out. Join the game and show me how easy it is to win, or refuse and show us how you'd rather criticize something new to death.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #826 on: June 30, 2014, 05:25:03 AM »
I don't particularly want to join your game, and I can't join your game even if that were not the case.
I couldn't join before because I was in the middle of finals.
I can't join now because I'm about to move in a few days and have been busy packing and disassembling and I have no idea if my internet provider will be reliable enough to actually have my internet set up by the time I move.
Not to mention the unpacking and reassembling that needs to be done after the move as well.

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #827 on: June 30, 2014, 06:15:22 AM »
The idea behind it just doesn't interest me, so no.

« Reply #828 on: June 30, 2014, 06:31:27 AM »
im not even interested i just want the next game to come  ::)

Conqueror

« Reply #829 on: June 30, 2014, 07:13:19 AM »
I'm pointing out what I think are flaws because I will inevitably roll scum, play a decent if not inspiring game by lynching townies with my scumbuddies, and then lose in lylo for the most irritating reasons ever because someone "townslipped". Alternatively, be town, lynch scum all game, and then lose because the people who died are too lazy to read the game. These are the two extremes, but they're plausible in the setup and just thinking about them makes me mad irl not really want to play that much. Not that I really wanted to play mafia anyway buuuut.

But here. I'll make an offer to hammer signups if they get to 11 players, mostly because I want to run my game eventually, within the next century I want the queue to get moving. Before then don't sign me up, as I'm not sure how my time schedule is going to work with mafia atm.

In the event that we don't get that many people, which is quite likely, I'd suggest Oarfish just slim down the number of players required for the setup, because I feel like that would actually work better than with 12 people or whatever.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 07:15:36 AM by Conqueror »

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #830 on: June 30, 2014, 08:58:02 AM »
O4rfish; I'm gonna be blunt here. Most games would have finished by now. Clearly there is something stopping people from wanting to play your setup; so if you want the game to actually start; it would be a good idea to actually listen to them saying what's wrong and maybe consider the trimming-down some others are suggesting.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #831 on: June 30, 2014, 09:46:04 AM »
I have my opinions on what would cause someone to not only not sign up for my game but moreover attack the ideas behind it, but I have already expressed those and doing so again would probably not garner any more players.

Conq, I appreciate your willingness to hammer signups.
I don't think the game would reasonably work with fewer than nine players. If there are not a multiple of three players signed up when the game starts, I will apologize to the 1 or 2 players who confirm last and remove them from the game.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #832 on: June 30, 2014, 10:24:24 AM »
Why should i join your game when it does not appeal to me. I find the gimmick poorly executed and inherently unbalanced. I can't think of any way to rework your game to make it have no exploitable situations. Your game is in fact not easy to win because an assured fulfilled victory condition in any other game of mafia is not the same situation in your game.

There's also that I haven't played in a very long time because I can stick to my word of completely quitting the game.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #833 on: June 30, 2014, 10:32:01 AM »
Just gonna repost this here in case 7 is the magic number:
[06:16] <Shadoweh> I'm just going to throw this out as a suggestion: 7 players, 5 townies, 2 scum. Nightless (No NK) on Night 1. After 2 lynches, scum get 1 nightkill, then the 3 dead people do the votey thing. Scum are allowed to nightkill themselves, if both scum get lynched/killed somehow they lose immediately.

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #834 on: June 30, 2014, 12:25:44 PM »
I think it should be lynch nk lynch nk pick of 3

Don't lynch me.

Bardiche

« Reply #835 on: June 30, 2014, 01:54:10 PM »
I'm calling you out. Join the game and show me how easy it is to win, or refuse and show us how you'd rather criticize something new to death.

Yes, because insulting people is the way to get us to join your game. I'm not interested in joining highly experimental games by people with hardly any on-site Mafia experience.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #836 on: June 30, 2014, 02:38:33 PM »
I haven't read most of this nonsense. It doesn't make sense for one host to hold up a community-driven queue like this. At least, I'm assuming people actually want to play something and the queue's been stalled for a week or two.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #837 on: June 30, 2014, 02:43:15 PM »
Two and a half weeks. It's why O4rfish has half a day now to show that his game is going to start or lose his current position in the queue.

« Reply #838 on: June 30, 2014, 03:45:25 PM »
Oarfish, it's not people's fault if people are not interested in joining a game.
I'm not interested in joining because your game wouldn't be fun for me, and I'm a bit angry that you're taking so long and making people wait just because you want more players, when you could avoid all of this and begin the game with less people. It's just not fair.

BigBangMeteor

• 60% of the time, I win every time
« Reply #839 on: July 01, 2014, 12:01:07 AM »
I've sent out invitations to pretty much everybody for Vigilante Mafia (cross-site anon with hydras between players from SF and MotK). If you didn't get an invitation I probably just forgot about you, sorry. Message me privately either way if you want to be in.

The game isn't going to start RIGHT AWAY (probably not until at least Saturday to be honest because of some stuff that's come up).