Author Topic: RPG Mafia Thread IV (Current Game: NSP Mafia)  (Read 144461 times)

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
  • Unit vector from the center is the surface normal?
Re: RPG Mafia Thread IV (Current Game: Trustee Mafia)
« Reply #750 on: June 19, 2014, 02:50:49 PM »
Dormio, what IS the right way to go about getting people to join my game?

Make a theme that is interesting or supports some unusual mechanics.  Post rules using the accepted formatting and throw in a few images or something fun to buy people's interest.  Actually I am bored, here is an example of something I just scratched up for a vanilla game. 

Cat and Mouse Mafia

Many years ago, before the dawn of man, cat and mouse did battle for the right of supremacy: who would acquire the coveted seat of dominion over humans?  The casualties were immense.  Whole lands were covered with the blood of the fallen.  Where feline and rodent did battle, with their fearsome weapons of mass destruction, the land was soiled, never to grow life again.  They fought unto the very brink of extinction, when finally, the mouse was banished to the darkest corners of the world, forever forbidden from the homes of men. 

So it is spoken, amongst the cats and their kind. 

The mice never surrendered, never gave up their eternal struggle.  Though hopelessly outgunned, impossibly outclassed in both sheer size and strength, the mouse and their kind knew that terrible sacrifices were necessary for their ultimate victory.  Far down beneath the humans wreck of society, underneath even the secret eldritch lairs of demon, dragon and Dormio, the mice have thrown up their glorious shrines to their unforgotten dead.  Names scribed down and etched in stone, legends told to children and tales told to soldiers, of courage against impossible odds, and victory that might yet still be caught. 

You are part of an advance party, seeking to learn when it is time for the mice to begin their counter attack.  Already the seeds of victory have been planted.  The cat, long seen as a symbol of wisdom, grace, and integrity, is now ridiculed on the internet as a greedy and lazy creature.  The number one pet for humans, which was once cats, has now fallen to dogs.  The time is ripe for cats to finally be eradicated from the world. 

You've been placed in a student accomodation to spy on the humans and learn what you can from their education institutions.  At first it was an easy deal, you and your fellow mousy comrades have lived a life of luxury, running rampant in a sharehouse owned by a bunch of poor students, growing fat on their discarded pizza boxes and tv dinners. 

All that changed today. 

This morning, your unit commander, Sky_Paladin, was found beheaded, eviscerated, dissected, and partially devoured in the middle of the kitchen floor.  Blood stained paw-prints, and the ominous sound of tinkling bells give testament to his fate. 

There are cats in the house. 

Sky_Paladin - Vanilla towny. 

You are a mouse.  Your special abilities are eat cheese, sneak through impossible gaps, and see in the dark.  This is represented in the game with the following special rules;
1 - You may vote with ## vote <player name>
2 - You may post in thread during the day phase.

Confirm in the game thread when you receive this message. 

You win when the mice can live in peace.  Good luck.

Rules stolen from Prims Untitled Story mafia. 

.::RULES::.
- I'm the mod and my word is final. Don't do anything that you expect will annoy me, even if it's not in the rules. This includes looking for loopholes.
- No Outside Contact, keep the talking to the game thread unless your role allows otherwise.
- Don't directly intefere with the game if you're dead or not playing - if you're going to talk to other players or post in-thread I expect everything you say to have no game relevance whatsoever. Also, do not talk about the game to other players (dead or living) while deceased unless both of you have received a link to the graveyard quicktopic. The graveyard will contain a list of players who have access to it in the OP.
- Don't directly quote communications with the mod unless given permission. This includes your Role PM.
- Going 24 hours without a post nets you a prod. Going 48 hours without a post or receiving too many prods is likely to result in a modkill.
- Navy is reserved for mod actions and edits. 
- Don't screenshot things. 
- Don't edit your posts. 
- Don't post after hammer. 
- If you get yourself modkilled, you lose the game and your alignment may be subject to further punishment to circumvent any advantage your death could result in.
- Have good integrity. This includes not being a dick.
- Play to win.
- Breaking rules once will get you a warning or a modkill depending on the severity.  Seriously, it's nothing you haven't seen before, but if somebody does get themselves modkilled, it will result in the player being removed immediately, phase ending, and no flip. 
- The show must go on.  If a player goes afk or gets modkilled, depending on the options, a vanilla towny may be promoted to the afk/modkilled persons role, or a dead player given a chance to re-enter.  If the former seems likely, dead players who have shown an interest in having another go will not be given a graveyard link. 
- Rules may arbitrarily changed or added to as necessary. 

.::SET-UP INFORMATION::.
- Day 1 will last 48 hours; after that it's 72 hour days and 24 hour nights. Majority is required to lynch.  If a majority is failed to be achieved, all players who failed to vote will die.  If no player is eligible, the last player to vote will die. 
- Flips will contain character name, alignment, role name, and a quote of the deceased's role with all factional abilities removed.
- LYLO and MYLO will be announced, but not whether they are potential or not.
- This set-up is explicitly not bastard and not experimental in any way.  There is at least one Vanilla Townie.
- The following roles have been declared Super Lame and are guaranteed to not be in the set-up: anything that results in a lying flip, any role that requires a RNG for the mod to process, any role that does not work as described in the player's role PM, any Cop variant other than sane, any role that can result in a change in alignment. 
- Players will know if their action fails or if they are redirected, but only if they have an ability that is affected.
- Action priority is:  Sabotage/redirect type actions go first, information/protection actions second, killing actions go last. 
- Players will only receive a notification of the success of their action if it is an action that returns information, otherwise they will just be told 'redirected' or 'action failed'. 

Casualties
0 - Sky_Paladin; was too tasty for his own good. 

Player list:

So in this setup I want to include a 'cheese' mechanic.  Players need to be active or they will starve and die.  I implemented this as an 'afk removal tool', if you don't vote or go afk too long you will get modkilled.  In the real set up I would reword the 'go afk and get modkilled' to something like "You are a mouse and require cheese.  Cheese raids are risky and therefore only contributing mice will be fed by the team.  If you do not post (insert requirements here) within 48 hours you will get a warning.  Failure to (meet requirement) after 72 hours results in a modkill. 
edit to add:  I would probably go a step further and let all players /givecheese in public to any player they wanted to keep alive.  Players need at least on cheese per day phase to not starve and die.  I'd work out how to handle this mechanic in greater detail e.g. how much cheese you have in the game etc. 

The 'show must go on' rule is one that I've incorporated successfully in Megatokyo; if you have a player go afk and they are roled, kill them off without a flip and give their role to a vanilla towny.  Caution must be used (e.g. don't give a scum role to a vanilla towny who has been cop checked) but generally it's very easy to get right.  I've also sent a vanilla town who died night 1 back in to the game as a member of the scum team with no harm done. 

If you want to do something like the graveyard controls the lynch, what is your objective?  Can you test it?  Can it be broken?  Can scum win?  Can town win? 

If your graveyard controls the lynch, and town need to kill the scum to win, what's the reason for the graveyard at all? 

Part of the reason that dead players can't talk is because their alignment is known.  You don't know who to trust until their dead, and then their dead.  What if you killed players without a flip?

Anyway I think that your mechanic can work but you need to 1 - why do you want to do it (is there a specific problem you feel needs to be addressed), and 'because it is fun' is not an answer; 2 - how can you implement it so that it is an interesting tool that players can use or be handicapped by, and not as something that breaks the setup. 

Basically I guess you need to show more thought and effort for people to want to buy in to it.  I already signed up though because I don't care about rules or mechanics, I just want to play. 

Wow I wrote too much, time for bed. 

edit: 
I'd cheese something like this. And then maybe some roles that prevent players from giving cheese/gives extra cheese.  Well I'd write up the draft and get a co-mod to look over it.  You do have a co-mod, right, Oarfish?

Every player can ##givecheese to any other player during the day phase, but once given, it cannot be changed.  You cannot eat your own cheese for you are a proud and altruistic soldier of mousekind, living on the mantra of 'should I die, please eat my body.'  Every mouse needs one cheese per day or death. 

edit edit edit; or I would just use the ##givecheese mechanic instead of voting.  When all players except for one player have received cheese, the phase ends, and the uncheesed player dies.  I'll playtest it and run it over on Megatokyo. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:08:58 PM by Sky_Paladin »
My programming et al blog;
http://infinitestateautomaton.wordpress.com/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #751 on: June 19, 2014, 02:52:14 PM »
NNR's avatar is giving me a seizure, fantastic.

I think the idea of having the Graveyard select one player to "win" alongside the faction unfairly penalises those people who play well and are killed early, and it introduces an issue where people have to decide who play better. For example, in the last game Sky Paladin put out a lot of effort generating a lot of noise no one could be bothered to read; does he get to win for all the effort he put into it, or do we vote up Serela instead, since ActionDan got lynched anyhow? Or can we post-mortemly assign ActionDan a winner despite not having had any actual success convincing people of the scums?

Losing is a team effort, and I think the Graveyard-picks-an-additional-winner mechanic is just mental masturbation for those who like to think team games are lost by the rest of the team and not yourself. It doesn't matter if you catch scum, if you're ineffectual at persuading and convincing people, you're a bad player and you don't deserve a win. EDIT: If your team is stupid and no matter how well you word yourself, you still can't get them to follow you, it's still a team effort losing; you may not be bad, but you still weren't able to turn around the herd.

EDIT2: And if the scum team kills off all the players with a clue, then the scum team rightly wins and picking a Town winner is just slapping Scum in the face. I disagree that MotK loses because of derps primarily, it's just that scum ensure the derps are in charge of the lynch.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:59:38 PM by Bardiche »

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
  • Unit vector from the center is the surface normal?
« Reply #752 on: June 19, 2014, 03:01:38 PM »
it's just that scum ensure the derps are in charge of the lynch.

This.  It's why Serela and I always make it to LYLO, unless we get ourselves lynched by town first. 
My programming et al blog;
http://infinitestateautomaton.wordpress.com/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #753 on: June 19, 2014, 03:31:14 PM »
It's not so much that scum gets me to lylo on purpose (...usually *cough*), it's that there's higher priority nightkills and I generally get townread by town unless I lurked to hell and back or did a pretty bad oopsie.

But anyway, in terms of using the previous game as an example; there wouldn't have been a conventional lynch in that case, so the GY would have decided whether they believed ActionDan or Dormio was telling the truth instead of the living players doing it. (GY picks the only winner, not an additional winner) That being said, I'm not exactly arguing that letting the GY decide the winner is a good setup idea, although IMO it wouldn't hurt to try it out a single time.

The meta would be different so it's harder to tell what to do. Scum killing off the players who have a clue is possibly a bad idea, for example, since once killed they're the one who gets to decide the winner- even if they're dead, they don't get to stop spouting their gospel in the GY, and if they're alive the GY still gets to read it but at least they're not confirmed town. This simple fact is also what makes it really hard, though- scum can't remove problematic people. Not only that, but they get to chat together as confirmed town, turning the GY into one big mason party. Town's nerf is that there would assumably be no PRs and there's less town compared to scum than usual, but, hrm.

Suddenly I wonder what optimal use of the lynch would even BE. Do you really want to lynch all the scummy players and let the actually-town ones whose reads you probably don't agree with, be the ones who decide the game winner? You shouldn't lynch the obvtowns, or should you? Scum can bus very freely, and don't care about who is lynched so much as simply looking like town, so how do associative reads work? And what's the best kind of lynch target in a game like this anyway?

This is definitely not getting 9p, you should begin it at 5/6p with only one mafia.
I'unno why you're suggesting to nerf scum further when everyone's talking about how incredibly town-sided the setup probably is :V (I mean the part about having to run it as 6p is true, but only 1 mafia?)

Anyway, I think scum's biggest advantage is they're almost guaranteed to equal or outnumber the town when it's time for the GY to pick a winner. But, they have to be stealthy enough about it to make it unclear they're controlling the lynch via numbers, so :S (Or just bus to hell  if town look like they're gonna be right, since that's not a big detriment...?)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:42:17 PM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #754 on: June 19, 2014, 03:52:06 PM »
The way I interpreted it, "Picking a player and he and his faction wins" means that the Graveyard group would be asked to pick one of the 3 or five people remaining, and his faction is the winner, making the Lylo lynch useless as a winner is decided at that point. It's not a free ticket to the end of the game, it is the end of the game.

So for flavor example, instead of NKing and Lynching, we are instituting a board of Trustees with Corrupt businessmen trying to sneak in. When voted, they either become a board member, or reveal the corruption and fire the businessman. Then when lylo normally happens, the Board settle down and pick one non-board member for CEO position, and whoever is nominated will become the Big Boss boss boss and will use his influence for his teammate's purposes, making the team he's a part of the winner.

Basically it's a way to keep dead players invested in the game instead of putzing around crying about how the person that lynched them was stupid and how they know all of the scum already and blah blah. It's also somewhat evened out by Scum being able to stick around and help their teammates/give advice/hydra-ing basically.

I still agree that it's town sided, since it takes away scum's ability to remove people from the game. in a case like this, emphasis might be put on killing the derp first because they'd be the ones with the power in the end. It would also completely excise town problems like lack of leadership skill or the concept of a person wanting to defend themselves, since a townie that can't convince people he's town will want to be lynched (and may even be justified for it).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:56:32 PM by Samurai Zakeri »

Bardiche

« Reply #755 on: June 19, 2014, 04:05:42 PM »
As a Townie, why would I want to avoid getting lynched then? I'd want to get lynched, right?

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #756 on: June 19, 2014, 04:06:27 PM »
You wouldn't lynch obvtowns, lol. You just lynch who you think is scum and leave universal townreads alive to be nominated on the last day.

Bardiche

« Reply #757 on: June 19, 2014, 04:13:08 PM »
You wouldn't lynch obvtowns, lol. You just lynch who you think is scum and leave universal townreads alive to be nominated on the last day.

We need just one obvTown to be alive. If the ones who can tell fake from real die, we can win the game from beyond the Grave, no? Imagine a Graveyard full of Serela and Sky Paladin, and we wouldn't be able to at all tell what deliberations they're having and why they're worried. Someone needs to get in there to smack 'em upside the head and tell 'em they're completely off the mark!

EDIT: Besides, aggravatingly every time I make a case on scum, Serela comes in to say, "I see all your points and they're there, but I just disagree with the conclusion!"
Noooo way I'd want that deciding the win if I can help it!

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #758 on: June 19, 2014, 04:26:12 PM »
I'm such a cool obvtown, anyway! It usually happens, like every time.

...there's no way I'd live to lylo in that game ;_;
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #759 on: June 19, 2014, 04:33:09 PM »
We need just one obvTown to be alive.

Dead town needs to choose the living person who is most obvtown, but scum are focusing their kills on the obvtown and leaving alive the ones who can tell town from scum. Scum can also choose to kill those players whom the graveyard claims to believe are town, since they have informants in the graveyard.

Assuming they get lynched that is.
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #760 on: June 19, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »
Yeah, town only needs one obvtown alive, but who do you think scum would nightkill?

« Reply #761 on: June 19, 2014, 06:13:58 PM »
Ahh so a lynched scum results in even more information for them to use against town. I didn't realize they would be invited to the graveyard, too.

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #762 on: June 19, 2014, 06:17:24 PM »
The dead townies know who each other are, so they just form a voting block and scum can't sway it, either way.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #763 on: June 19, 2014, 06:30:30 PM »
The dead people would be playing it out kinda like a standard lylo- don't vote until you're sure, then scum quickhammers if they're wrong.

« Reply #764 on: June 19, 2014, 08:02:58 PM »
I'unno why you're suggesting to nerf scum further when everyone's talking about how incredibly town-sided the setup probably is :V (I mean the part about having to run it as 6p is true, but only 1 mafia?)

To be honest I don't get the setup. With 6p (4/2) apparently you are still allowed 2 lynches so I'm assuming you could keep lynching even if scum outnumbered town, but that could lead to 1/2 if there are two mislynches in a row. Guessing who is the only townie out of 3 people when people are usually scummy and scum have nightkilled townreads is not easy.

What I imagined before is that 6p would only allow a mislynch and then let graveyard decide, which is why I was originally saying it's scumsided. Even if graveyard only has town there (which I'm assuming, since this game wouldn't work if scum could decide as well) the fact that you can only make one error is still there.

EDIT: Wait, scum would be able to vote as well? That makes it even more scumsided...

Bardiche

« Reply #765 on: June 19, 2014, 09:34:56 PM »
I think we need more guillotine.

« Reply #766 on: June 19, 2014, 10:25:38 PM »
I'm 101% certain that Scum can't vote in the graveyard to begin with so none of your comments are applicable.

I think we need more guillotine.
Except this one.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #767 on: June 19, 2014, 11:51:44 PM »
/in for Cat and Mouse Mafia, looks like Redwall..
oh, oh you're not really.. okay I'll just stay over here then ._.

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Bardiche

« Reply #768 on: June 20, 2014, 12:04:41 AM »
I'm 101% certain that Scum can't vote in the graveyard to begin with so none of your comments are applicable.
Except this one.

Then lynch all the scums, I guess. Game should be awright outside of having the Graveyard decide the game for everyone, but at the very least it's a variant for a change. It's unfairly stacked for Town, though, since even if scum does everything right, they can still lose due to astute Graveyard voters.

EDIT: Also I'd be /in for Cat and Mouse Mafia too.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:08:00 AM by Bardiche »

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #769 on: June 20, 2014, 01:35:42 AM »
Graveyard votes. As in everybody in the graveyard. Including scum

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #770 on: June 20, 2014, 02:12:07 AM »
Clearly  (in 9p) you should lynch two scum and nightkill people who have the complete wrong idea about the last scum's alignment. Then scum is already set up to win! B)

But no, I think o4rfish said only dead TOWN get to vote. Dead scum does apparently still get to talk in the scum QT -and- look in the graveyard though so having 1 dead scum could be beneficial.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #771 on: June 20, 2014, 05:03:12 AM »
Dead scum WOULD get to vote, but I've decided they don't get to, just as a procedural matter. Here's why:
If dead scum outnumber dead town, that means there are no living scum left. Town wins.
So, we assume dead scum are in the minority. There aren't ties because graveyard has an odd number of players.Their allegiance is known. They can only swing the vote if town doesn't form a solid voting bloc. Thus, it is imperative for town to form a solid voting bloc and choose a player to vote for before actually voting, lest one or two town place an early vote and get quickhammered. Town has the ability to do this through fake voting.
Since dead town allegiance is also known, early voting is not needed as a clue to alignment, and I can't think of a reason to NOT use fake voting before real voting. Town has the ability to select a winner without scum's input.
So, in the interests of clearing up the difference between real voting and fake voting, and of preventing some dead town from losing the game like Leroy Jenkins, I'm just setting aside dead scum's vote.

Edit: like, the only time dead scum votes matter is when a dead town either doesn't know or doesn't care how their vote works, and for this game I don't think that's an interesting way for the game to be won or lost.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:29:21 PM by O4rfish »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #772 on: June 20, 2014, 05:34:56 AM »
O4rfish, question:How many players are you aiming to get in order to start, at this point?

I was about to say "if ___ maybe I'll /in after all", but I just remembered I'm about to have to work 8 days in a row after tomorrow, and then still be quite preoccupied for the next 5 days after that, so I guess I shouldn't after all >_>; Still, asking how many players you're aiming for at this point is still important.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #773 on: June 20, 2014, 06:48:20 AM »
I think 12 would be a good number for the first run. That is seven trustees, four scum.

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #774 on: June 20, 2014, 07:10:27 AM »
7+4=12?

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #775 on: June 20, 2014, 07:23:38 AM »
7 trustees means 7 dead, not 7 town from what I understand.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #776 on: June 20, 2014, 07:36:05 AM »
I feel like everyone in this thread is talking about different setups.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

« Reply #777 on: June 20, 2014, 08:22:33 AM »
I feel like everyone in this thread is talking about different setups.
That's because nobody knows what the setup is despite Oarfish explaining it three times.

/in because for all the deliberation we had I still don't know if it's a good idea or not so we should just figure that out in practice.

« Reply #778 on: June 22, 2014, 01:36:53 PM »
Oarfish begin game, it's already been 10 days since you posted your signups and it's clear you won't get more players by now.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #779 on: June 22, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »
Well I wouldn't fault O4rfish if he wanted one or two more players, but the 12 he just said he's aiming for is practically guaranteed not to happen.