Author Topic: RPG Mafia Thread IV (Current Game: NSP Mafia)  (Read 144428 times)

Re: RPG Mafia Thread IV (Current Game: Trustee Mafia)
« Reply #690 on: June 14, 2014, 02:38:35 AM »
But see you in three days, right?  :D

Yes I shall make a grand revival in three days.

...Just not in mafia.

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #691 on: June 14, 2014, 09:57:59 AM »
I'll take a little break from mafia. Somehow i feel that i don't bring anything to the games i sign /in for.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #692 on: June 14, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »
I'll take a little break from mafia. Somehow i feel that i don't bring anything to the games i sign /in for.
you bring a wonderful Day 1 lynch slot!
Alterantively the required lurker slot that replaces out..

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

CF7

« Reply #693 on: June 14, 2014, 07:31:54 PM »
I am not sure if i should feel happy or offended.

After some thinking, i'd go with happy. I am useful. Woooo.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:41:52 PM by CF7 »

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #694 on: June 14, 2014, 10:57:45 PM »

More than Shadoweh does, don't worry.

« Reply #695 on: June 15, 2014, 12:11:42 AM »
BANG! BANG! SHOTS FIRED

Shadoweh

« Reply #696 on: June 15, 2014, 04:06:19 AM »
Jokes on you, I'm not signing up for anything! HA! Friggin Ha!
Also Bard since you asked: looking over your persuasive arguments for why the scum were scum last game, I'm going to cite player error in not sheeping you until they were all lynched. The only thing I'd suggest that works for me, honestly, is badgering people until they listen to you. Just bully people like Serela until they cave because you're scary! (There's no catch-all way to be more persuasive, you just have to figure out what specific people want and give it to them, ala logicing Sky P into lynching me)

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #697 on: June 15, 2014, 04:10:21 AM »
Dude.

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
« Reply #698 on: June 15, 2014, 10:42:48 AM »
that reminds me of was it BT's fruit game where Dormio Duded the wagon away from him at L-1 as scum, on lylo.
>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

« Reply #699 on: June 15, 2014, 01:51:24 PM »
That was the most ridiculous thing

Change my game to NSP Mafia, I finally got around to deciding on flavor and made it 10p

Bardiche

« Reply #700 on: June 16, 2014, 11:02:29 PM »
The only thing I'd suggest that works for me, honestly, is badgering people until they listen to you. Just bully people like Serela until they cave because you're scary! (There's no catch-all way to be more persuasive, you just have to figure out what specific people want and give it to them, ala logicing Sky P into lynching me)

I don't even know what I could have given to make people believe in Zakeri!Scum, but if I play again, I'll consider badgering people and yelling at them how terrible they are and how stupid they are and clearly they should turn to me for the light.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #701 on: June 16, 2014, 11:04:28 PM »
Well, given it was only d1 when it occurred and Zakeri hadn't done anything -that- damning yet, I think the situation went fine.

I let Raikaria get hammered over Zak because I didn't want to deal with their case on Dan ;_;
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Shadoweh

« Reply #702 on: June 17, 2014, 01:24:34 AM »
I don't even know what I could have given to make people believe in Zakeri!Scum, but if I play again, I'll consider badgering people and yelling at them how terrible they are and how stupid they are and clearly they should turn to me for the light.
Well, insulting people will certainly make them pay attention to you. I more mean that there are two seperate skills, finding the scumss, and taking leadership to get your target lynched. If you put pressure on people to follow you on pain of you never leaving them alone..

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #703 on: June 17, 2014, 01:45:34 AM »
If you put pressure on people to follow you on pain of you never leaving them alone..
This is why I let Raikaria get lynched
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #704 on: June 17, 2014, 01:57:10 AM »
Unfortunately, Badgering people is a best a shorthand mimicry of what Team leadership looks like. Also unfortunate is the fact that mafia is designed in such a way that you have to rely on shorthand mimicries of team leadership unless you somehow get 100% confirmed.

This is why I let Raikaria get lynched
This is really starting to make me feel good about my win for some reason. I'm so glad I decided not to give up.

« Reply #705 on: June 17, 2014, 01:59:06 PM »
Unfortunately, Badgering people is a best a shorthand mimicry of what Team leadership looks like. Also unfortunate is the fact that mafia is designed in such a way that you have to rely on shorthand mimicries of team leadership unless you somehow get 100% confirmed.

I don't think this helps at all. Game of mafia champions had tons of dickwaving in the form of reactiongifs, condescending attitude, useless "I'm the towniest" statements, constant badgering on other people to push their reads, etc and it never got anybody anywhere, there are plenty of good players (BBM, for example) who produce cases that are good and convincing enough by themselves that several people are likely to listen without having to resort to badgering people and the sort, you can realistically push your cases without being deliberately annoying and it will probably work better.

I haven't been following many of the games lately so I don't know if the recent town loss record is due to lots of people having bad reads, if it's too much setupspec, if there's a lack of communication and people don't really care about other people's opinions, or if it's something else. I have no idea, but I'm pretty certain that insulting people or yelling at them so that they listen to you is never going to help make the game better.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 03:55:06 PM by Vhaltzo »

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #706 on: June 17, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »
Vhaltz: Can't selectively quote on the phone, but the third one's been a problem for at least two or three years. MotK Mafia has long since lost respect for its fellow players.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
  • Unit vector from the center is the surface normal?
« Reply #707 on: June 17, 2014, 02:39:19 PM »
Bard:  The 'one mafia per neighbour group' game finished up on Megatokyo, with a scum win.  Town completely dropped the ball with two no-lynches and the 'vigilante' group failing to hit at all over three nights, and medics failing to cover confirmed town players, so, I, uh, well I don't know if that's the kind of playtest you want to consider.  We did some things a little differently to your stated set up - we were told that there was guaranteed to be no more than one mafia per group, but no knowledge of how many mafia there were total.  Also, each group had it's own unique role - one was a detective, one was a medic, one was a vigilante, and one was a backup group. 

You can check it out in detail over here, but if you have any specific questions and don't feel like trawling through the thread, send me a pm. 
My programming et al blog;
http://infinitestateautomaton.wordpress.com/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #708 on: June 17, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »
Kilga: I wouldn't say attitude or anything like that is a problem on MotK, I'd say a bigger problem is that it feels like nobody really changes between games, so the same mistakes are made over and over again and nothing progresses.

Bardiche

« Reply #709 on: June 17, 2014, 04:17:16 PM »
Bard:  The 'one mafia per neighbour group' game finished up on Megatokyo, with a scum win.  Town completely dropped the ball with two no-lynches and the 'vigilante' group failing to hit at all over three nights, and medics failing to cover confirmed town players, so, I, uh, well I don't know if that's the kind of playtest you want to consider.  We did some things a little differently to your stated set up - we were told that there was guaranteed to be no more than one mafia per group, but no knowledge of how many mafia there were total.  Also, each group had it's own unique role - one was a detective, one was a medic, one was a vigilante, and one was a backup group. 

You can check it out in detail over here, but if you have any specific questions and don't feel like trawling through the thread, send me a pm.

I'll read it over first.

On the subject of respecting each other/what is wrong with Mafia: I think if people are enjoying it it is fine, just most of the fun players are standing by the sidelines now. We talk of changing the status quo but we never do; maybe all of the old guard should get together and have a Mafia game that features only them to "show them yung'ins how it's done"? I'm only being half-ridiculing.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #710 on: June 17, 2014, 05:07:59 PM »
I did suggest a hydra/mentor game.

BigBangMeteor

• 60% of the time, I win every time
« Reply #711 on: June 17, 2014, 07:04:30 PM »
Well, SF had a Training Mafia game recently that went reasonably well (mafia ended up winning in 3p LYLO, although town got lucky when they failed to consolidate and the randomlynch hit the mafia member under the least suspicion); it's worth considering.

You could also wait for VIGILANTE MAFIA but despite what I promised BT a few weeks ago, it still hasn't progressed very much in a long time, so uh. Vigilante Mafia is also going to be pretty funky in terms of roles, and a Training Mafia might be better off with a more basic setup.

EDIT: actually worth mentioning that the mod made a somewhat controversial decision to remove the randomized element of the lynch and purposely hit the mafia member in question because he considered his strategy of purposely allowing the randomlynch to happen rather than hammering one of the scum/scum wagons to go against the "don't be lame" rule
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:07:50 PM by BigBangMeteor »

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #712 on: June 17, 2014, 08:32:35 PM »
I haven't been following many of the games lately so I don't know if the recent town loss record is due to lots of people having bad reads, if it's too much setupspec, if there's a lack of communication and people don't really care about other people's opinions, or if it's something else. I have no idea

It's because people got confused that I was posting in it.

Don't lynch me.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #713 on: June 17, 2014, 08:46:03 PM »
There's a compromise between pushing your own reads like they were handed down to you on Mt. Sinai like the Ten Commandments and just posting a case and having everyone ignore it because no one is reading.

I've found that getting into civilized discussion with other people about their reads (aka a dialogue, not SHEEP ME OR DIE type stuff) can be reasonably effective.

The problem with a hydra/mentor game is that we won't have enough people to fill it anyway. I mean we had trouble filling a 9p.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #714 on: June 17, 2014, 09:02:09 PM »
Hydra/mentor was in response to having an example game, because you could have an example game and you could also have an example game where the target audience is an active participant.

Bardiche

« Reply #715 on: June 18, 2014, 12:24:37 AM »
It's because people got confused that I was posting in it.

That was actually hilarious. The one time you do provide solid posts, you get lynched over them. :V

« Reply #716 on: June 18, 2014, 10:50:15 AM »
There's a compromise between pushing your own reads like they were handed down to you on Mt. Sinai like the Ten Commandments and just posting a case and having everyone ignore it because no one is reading.

I've found that getting into civilized discussion with other people about their reads (aka a dialogue, not SHEEP ME OR DIE type stuff) can be reasonably effective.

The problem with a hydra/mentor game is that we won't have enough people to fill it anyway. I mean we had trouble filling a 9p.
you should have a hydra account with bard, you can call it "Dying Night 1"

« Reply #717 on: June 18, 2014, 12:26:10 PM »
I wouldn't have to NK Bard night one if he wouldn't peg me as scum immediately and also be a power role at the same time.

CF7

« Reply #718 on: June 18, 2014, 04:43:46 PM »
Hm... I am slightly concerned about my 16 people setup.

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #719 on: June 18, 2014, 05:52:10 PM »
yeah that's definitely not happening