Author Topic: RPG Mafia Thread IV (Current Game: NSP Mafia)  (Read 144429 times)

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
Re: RPG Mafia Thread IV (Current Game: Puzzles and Dragons Mafia)
« Reply #360 on: April 25, 2014, 07:55:17 PM »
Why does I wanna be the Sereliest Mafia feel like only yesterday?

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

« Reply #361 on: April 25, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
I remember playing 2 different slots that game lol

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #362 on: April 25, 2014, 09:41:31 PM »
Hi all. I was bored for an hour. Here's something that's meant to represent MotKTown's power level over the ages:

(Click to enlarge.)

Starting at 5, I added 1 for every town or town/ITP hybrid victory and 0 for every scum, ITP and scum/ITP hybrid victory. I ignored abandoned games and happily ever afters. I also subtracted what was added exactly ten games before the one in question, so what you get is sort of a seasonal average instead of some overall average. For the first ten entries I alternated between subtracting 1s and 0s, which is why it looks like that at the beginning there.

Granted, to get something that's more worthy of being called an "average" of ten games, you'd have to take 5 games before (included) and 5 games after, instead of 10 games before (included). So basically you just have to slide it five spaces to the left, and you get:

(Click to enlarge! Apologies for the boo boos at the beginning.)

You'll notice that the recent slump makes less sense when you look at this graph compared to the one that ends at Medaka Box, so pick whichever you like best.

SB

• You are good people
  • Even Dormio
« Reply #363 on: April 25, 2014, 10:10:39 PM »
Considering town hasn't won since Mirai Nikki, it's amazing they're not in the negatives yet.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #364 on: April 25, 2014, 10:12:27 PM »
You can't go negative. Imagine every part of the graph has ten binary slots. If, say in the first graph, the last nine games were scum wins and the game just played was a scum win, you have ten 0 slots.

But even if it were possible, it wouldn't have happened. There's no 0 streak up there.

EDIT: Here's what happens when I mindlessly add 1s and subtract 1s in the simplest way imaginable (which I think is what you had in mind):

It's pretty beautiful.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:36:05 PM by BT »

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #365 on: April 25, 2014, 10:54:42 PM »
Why does I wanna be the Sereliest Mafia feel like only yesterday?
I swear if something goes horribly wrong again I'm going to declare my games cursed. Last setup didn't even have design issues but there was like 5 replacements d1, I HAD TO REPLACE OUT OF BEING MOD FOR A GOOD CHUNK OF THE GAME, and then the most insane combination of actions led to the scum getting a real cop guilty on the third party they didn't mean to target, with a power that wasn't theirs. Whilst town (and the scum! before the sudden guilty) assumes that Roleclop getting "Bus Driver" confirmed the third party to be town... because I only put the alignment-obfuscation clause on the scum Roleclop and not the town JOAT Roleclop shot. Oh and then the third party won somehow.

(psycho prophecy had "oops I clearly differentiated the sk kill and scum kill, and the sk had claimed vig..." and the super-obvtown-rated scum throwing in the towel due to IRL issues and not realizing there was an ITP SK helping the numbers, and the ITP got a townie modkilled by accident because of other shenanigans)

My meta won't stay away from me.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:57:21 PM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #366 on: April 25, 2014, 11:08:48 PM »
Just gonna point out Motktown was apparently at its peak around the time I actually got good at this game. Not to say I'm the best mafia player but I'm the best mafia player. 8)

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #367 on: April 26, 2014, 12:36:58 AM »
I have no patience so TURBO SIGNUPS POST LET'S GO YEAAAAAH. This will be pretty simple. edit:Nevermind maybe it wasn't so simple

Choose Your Own Mafia Anonymafia (8/13+)
1.Angel Beats
2.MotK Mafioso
4.Medaka Box
5.Kamen Rider
6.Diablo
8.DEFCON
9.Gensokyo Holy War
10.Undecided
[insert more numbers here as necessary]

This is an ANONYMOUS game, so you will PM me your /in, rather than post it publically. It will be held on Prims' super cool anonymafia hosting forum like the last several anon games we've had. The flavor is Choose Your Own Adventure Mafia, so you will /in under the... uh... "identity" of any mafia game previously hosted on MotK; for example, you could /in as Swordgirls or as Medaka Box. Previous anon games that were technically offsite but still motk games (e.g. Villains Anonymafia 1 and 2) are perfectly eligible. Games that are so old, that there is no backup of it for me to be able to go read, are not eligible.

The setup is flexible and I can accommodate as many people as necessary, but I have a feeling that as usual there will be difficulty filling signups for a Serela Game, so you can expect it to be a 13p or 14p game. The setup is kind of rolemadness as you'd probably expect from me, but I swear I know how to balance a game of role madness by now, so that it is Interesting but not Unbalanced/Annoying/Overpowered. I promise that there won't be anything worse than you've seen from me in my previous setups, so there's not going to be something like a Jester popping up as a terrible surprise.

I'm planning on running the game nightless, but if there's any complaints about that I don't mind using a traditional night system instead. The nightless will basically be executed like an "Everyone is Insomniac" game, with 48 hour days to compensate for the extra 24 hours of discussion you get each "night". I'll probably give everyone their results early if I get all actions quickly enough etcetc.

I feel like I'm forgetting something, but I'm pretty sure that covers everything relevant. There's not going to be a whole lot of flavor in this game, unlike the utter drenching IWBTSereliest had, but I still have lots of silly images I'll probably throw up on imgur for me and comods to use in votecounts. Sereliest was more effort than a setup was worth, and this game was inspired by and designed with the opposite philosophy in mind!

edit:Oh yeah, don't worry about sending me an avatar when you sign up. You'll be making your own accounts, since there's no reason you can't now that we no longer use mafiadummy accounts. It takes like one minute for you, but it'd be like a half hour of ugh for a mod to handle all by themselves.

edit again:I could also use a votecounter co-mod or two if you can't /in but want to be an informed observer. Serela games usually have trouble filling up though so don't pick this if you'd have /inned otherwise!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:19:09 PM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #368 on: April 26, 2014, 02:33:19 AM »
Considering town hasn't won since Mirai Nikki, it's amazing they're not in the negatives yet.

Considering Town Win is +1 and Scum Win is +0, negative is impossible.

I'll point out that the spike between the two pits is that little period I took a break.

Hell I think DEFCON was literally the game where my break started.

That said, -I- have won since playing again, scum wins :V
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 02:35:28 AM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
Re: RPG Mafia Thread IV (Current Game: Choose Your Own Mafia Anonymafia)
« Reply #369 on: April 26, 2014, 05:16:01 AM »
Might be convenient to throw in the link to the archive for the incredibly lazy people who don't want to go to the OP.

Also the recent influx of non-town wins also matches well with when I actually started rolling scum (and dropped out or didn't /in every other game)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:20:34 AM by NekoNekoFever »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #370 on: April 26, 2014, 05:21:40 AM »
I think it has to do with me shooting you in the face.  Oh the fun we had

Don't lynch me.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #371 on: April 26, 2014, 05:23:36 AM »
I was probably due to drop out anyway, For some reason I get it stuck in my head I can handle two games at once and I never can.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #372 on: April 26, 2014, 05:24:06 AM »
1.Angel Beats
4.Medaka Box
7.Rewrite
I am clearly the best mod.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #373 on: April 26, 2014, 05:51:56 AM »
Your games have scarred people so badly they will never recover from the trauma.
?.Wordless Mafia (They only want to /in if necessary to reach 13p)
Conq, stop waffling and just in for the mafia already :V
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:53:28 AM by Shadoweh »

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

« Reply #374 on: April 26, 2014, 05:55:15 AM »
Also the recent influx of non-town wins also matches well with when I actually started rolling scum (and dropped out or didn't /in every other game)
also my only recent scum loss was popcorn 2, so again

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #375 on: April 26, 2014, 06:08:11 AM »
I think my only scum loss was DEFCON, and I played that up as a joke two days in.

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #376 on: April 26, 2014, 06:39:18 AM »
I think MotK really needs to fix its meta of lynching those who contribute and giving a free pass to lurkers.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #377 on: April 26, 2014, 07:04:15 AM »
I think MotK really needs to fix its meta of lynching those who contribute and giving a free pass to lurkers.

Been saying that forever.

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #378 on: April 26, 2014, 07:36:06 AM »
I think MotkTown needs to discard its meta of thinking I'm scum controling the lynch with mind-control beams. >:C

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #379 on: April 26, 2014, 08:19:23 AM »
It's not like you got lynched for it.

Edit:
Reasons town dosen't win:
- Serela is allowed to live until LYLO
- We give lurkers a free pass who inveribly end up being the scums
- I'm bad at mafias
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:18:39 AM by Raikaria »

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #380 on: April 26, 2014, 10:08:23 AM »
Well, town just needs to think more in the endgame and not rush things in LyLo...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:10:47 AM by CF7 »
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

« Reply #381 on: April 26, 2014, 01:07:28 PM »
I think that the actual reaosn town doesn't win is that town does too much scummy stuff and that makes the scummy stuff that scum do less noticeable.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #382 on: April 26, 2014, 02:07:08 PM »
HW said he thought PX was town because he thought PX was doing -more- than he normally did, actually  :fail:

I really should have realized that with how ridiculously non-existant Dan was he must have been scum (Dan usually does -some- stuff as town; when he does literally nothing he flips scum), but because of roles I just defaulted to him being more likely town for some reason, even though I stated more than once that his role was null.

The lurker meta!!

Anyway we're at 8/13.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 02:08:42 PM by Serela »

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #383 on: April 26, 2014, 02:22:07 PM »
Well there were other reasons I was less active this game

Don't lynch me.

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #384 on: April 26, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
but I swear I know how to balance a game of role madness by now, so that it is Interesting but not Unbalanced/Annoying/Overpowered.
/me giggles
Oh, ya. I am not trying to say, that you're bad at designing setups, i just want to mention, that player's RNG could always screw you over.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:35:03 PM by CF7 »
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #385 on: April 26, 2014, 04:36:50 PM »
Well there's nothing I can do about that part!

But when a setup itself is bad, you're kind of doomed from the start if you don't get real lucky.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #386 on: April 26, 2014, 04:40:09 PM »
If you want people to be more active, you need to treat lurkers as more lynchworthy than people who make mistakes while posting content.
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
  • Unit vector from the center is the surface normal?
« Reply #387 on: April 26, 2014, 04:45:31 PM »
I am still crazy busy re: holidays, people visiting, phone mafia for another week and a half. I have had exactly two times with a few hours where I was:
Not drunk
Distraction free
Near a computer
Not desperately fatiguEd

I get another break on Wednesday so I'll chat then but mainly gg well played and thanks for running the game, Chaore. I got vanilla town in a role madness game twice in a row, yesss. Well it doesn't matter since I was lunch bait anyway.

There's a lot of stuff I want to say re meta and lurking players but mainly whenever I've lurked I can dodge a lunch and whenever I acually defend or scumhunt I die. So that's something

I have a heap of messages here to respond to but I'm actually on the toilet using the phone and hiding from my wife so I have to go now :C
My programming et al blog;
http://infinitestateautomaton.wordpress.com/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #388 on: April 26, 2014, 04:46:02 PM »
lurkers have always been more lynchworthy than people who are making mistakes. im always up for a lurker lynch day one despite what everyone else says about them. wagon them early and at the very least you have a wagon/flip to analyze. at the same time it's hard to ignore what  you think is the scum flailing right in front of you in favor of the scum who isn't even influencing the game. in some cases it might even be detrimental as if you pick off the active scum early then town has full control of the game discourse.

the hard part is with distinguishing scum pushing on lurkers (easiest thing ever to do) and town pushing on lurkers, not to mention the difference between lurk!town and lurk!scum and the difference between people posting confusedly and people posting completely bull. it's the reason i'd use a vig for a policy shot instead of a hero shot; if i can't get a read and that's not changing anytime soon, that slot is going asap.

basically, mafia is hard.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #389 on: April 26, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »
not to mention the difference between lurk!town and lurk!scum
There's too many people who are too lurky, when playing as town, on a consistent basis.