Author Topic: Let's play some Touhou MtG!  (Read 6687 times)

Let's play some Touhou MtG!
« on: August 24, 2013, 06:17:48 PM »
Hi, this is where we try to play other people's Touhou sets. In an effort to promote participation, I'll will be hosting Saturday Live Danmaku every week. They're be an open lobby all-day on Cockatrice named "Touhou MTG Lobby" where you can look for opponents or get help deck-building. I will maintain a list of starter decks for people to use.

Deck-building prior to the weekly event is optional, but encouraged. If you have a deck you'd like to add to the list of starter decks, contact me here or on Cockatrice.

Setup:
1) Download Cockatrice at http://www.woogerworks.com/

Also download the custom set images and .xml file (The current set TH99).
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1CZ2Ai5gEW-VEJJdGt4VHdacUk&usp=sharing

2) Locate your cards.xml in the AppData\Local\Cockatrice\Cockatrice directory. Rename it to something else. Move the .xml file you downloaded here and rename it to cards.xml

3) Locate the downloadedPics directory in *whereyouinstalled*\Cockatrice\pics\downloadedPics. Place the extracted TH99 folder with the card images there.

If you have any questions, feel free to post below.

Note: the set here is different from the last one we played. I think it's currently the most playable and interactive set for which there is a public .mse out for (which is needed to generate the .xml files). Notably, it has common, non-legendary versions for characters which help populate the common slot.

List of Starter Decks (TH99): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kFZSdrtEarScHm2GVv-fnZtPX0k7j47tTRJzGFM8tkY/edit?usp=sharing

Magic Set Editor File (optional, makes searching through the set easier): http://www.mediafire.com/download/3w001pdkri37oel/Touhou+Project+MtG+sets.7z
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:08:18 AM by Chronopolis »

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Re: Let's play some Touhou MtG!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 11:55:35 PM »
I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of enemy pair lands in the quick look i've had over the set.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 05:55:53 AM »
I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of enemy pair lands in the quick look i've had over the set.
I do like the artifact mana fixers. The various "houses" fit the 3 mana they produce, even though it's a stretch at times. This week only 2 people showed up, but a handful of games were in fact played. Catch us next Saturday!

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 11:27:54 AM »
I'll try build some decks and join next week. Unfortunatley the card pool is so limited.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »
That was my issue with it as well notable examples of this includes so little counters that I was hoping for cancel, very weak removal, poor color fixing for enemy pairs.

Some cards like the Legendary version of Youmu who relies on being equipped have so little support. There is literally 2 equips in the entire set.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 05:17:38 PM »
Cockatrice is alive again? Wow. I just deleted it last weekend under the assumption that it was still dead.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 05:25:52 PM »
It's been on that address for months.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 05:31:41 PM »
Well, that's what I get for assuming.

Skimmed the set real quick, and it looks weird. I like some of the stuff, but some of the designs are sort of odd. I'll re-download Cockatrice and make some decks tonight. Saturday is a bad day for me typically since I play games all day already, but I'll try to find some time to pop in to the lobby. And if anyone wants to play a couple of games shoot me a PM and I'll give you my Skype information.

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 01:04:29 AM »
I'll try build some decks and join next week. Unfortunatley the card pool is so limited.
Here's the .mse for easier browsing through the cards.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3w001pdkri37oel/Touhou+Project+MtG+sets.7z

Looking around the archtypes, these might be some of the stand out ones.

R/U Aya control deck (because she's so strong and disproportionately fast)
U/B Silent Silene, assuming it has a way to survive until 6 mana
UWG Concerto Grosso Spirits + Poltergist Deck (since the the pyrmers are a moderately resilent combo, and concerto grosso is very modestly priced)
U/B Patchouli's Library + Librarian of water + Madness
Mono Green ramp
Using aquire spring, cherry fragrance (which you can play on a tapped or legendary land for some gain), and light charged sunflower life gain to stay alive into perfect cherry blossom, then using Yuuka as a finisher. Soul go Lucky and Immortal sage's rumbling seem like important pieces. The aforementioned combat tricks just make green storm and Jumping Crossing Scale look pretty awkward. Similiarly, the playable green creatures overshadow the "bad" ones.

And then some more fringe archtypes

Solidarity is a force to be reckoned with, and so is Hakurei Danmaku Barrier. Both cards are a 6 mana. Solidarity is an answer almost anything, and there are only 3 destroy enchantment effects (in G/W) in this set.
While the Hakurei Danmaku Barrier makes attacking nearly impossible given a turn or two to set up.

Green actually can generate an absurd amount of mana with Phantamagoria of flower view and The reflowering of Gensokyo in the late game. Say a player has 8 lands out with one Light charged Sunflower.

Tap Sunflower, cast Phatasmogoria of Flower View. 1 G mana still in pool
Tap 3 forest for 3GGG, cast reflowering. Sacrifice 2 of the tapped forests, and get 4 more (now have 9 forests untapped)
Tap 2 forest + G mana for 2 GGG, spellbound reflowering. Sacrifice 2 tapped lands, and get 4 more (now have 10 forests untapped)
Result: 20 mana and 12 lands on the field. The reflowering isn't really needed, you just get a chance to use it for free if you have the combo. Without the reflowering, you can get up to 17 mana from the same set up. Without the Sunflower, it's only 12 mana with 8 lands out. Now the only X spell is Final Spark, which is triple red. Phantamogoria does make all lands double up, so you might be able to get there with 4 Autumn Peaks and 0-2 Mountains. Yuuka's a more reliable but less flashy way to finish.

There is also a cycle of noticeable potent 2 drops of each two of each color (WW, RR, GG, etc.)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 06:40:08 AM by Chronopolis »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 08:21:44 AM »
The decks I fishbowled a bit with that seemed to work best were:

WB Yuyuko spirits
Mono R Mokou aggro burn
Mono U draw

Madness looked like it could work but there aren't any reliable discard outlets. The Librarians cost too much to get onto the board. Koakuma can be used but then your colours are too messed up as you have to source U when you'd rather just play B/R.

W/U maids was too underwhelming as they just die to removal. Chief of Maids has to hit the board before any of the cards become scary.

Concerto Grosso can actually just be played in a Constructs deck. The dolls don't benefit from the ability sharing unless you have a Grand Guignol out and stack the triggers properly.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 08:55:52 AM »
Help why did I go and make a sideboard for my deck.

Also I need cheap draw spells why does there have to be no 1 CMC cantrips :/

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 08:57:55 AM »
Don't need 1cmc cantrips when you get insanely good draw at 2cmc.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 09:08:08 AM »
What is there at 2 cmc anyways

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 10:47:44 AM »
Sip of Madness

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 02:16:34 PM »
Random discard I'm not a fan of it.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »
Duplex Barrier in mono-W can serve as a cantrip if you have the mana to spam spellbound.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 03:49:25 PM »
Duplex Barrier in mono-W can serve as a cantrip if you have the mana to spam spellbound.

My brain kept forgetting that you have to discard for Spellbound and I kept thinking Duplex Barrier was freakishly powerful. :derp:

Seems light on good removal, although that black/red hybrid thing seems very strong. Am I correct in my understanding that there are NO sweepers, or did I miss one?

Also, is there a way to make enough tokens to go infinite with Imperishable Night? I kept trying to put that together after I saw it but I may be missing something.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 04:07:40 PM »
Spellbound is just that powerful. You turn a dead card in your hand into a useful spell. In the case of Duplex Barrier, you replace the card so you'll have more cards to turn into spellbound.

Flying Phoenix makes 3 tokens and Ghastly Demise makes 4. With ramp, you can spam Yukari and Holyhock Keine for mass tokens and keep blinking Imperishable night so that the vanishing is a non-issue.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 05:18:10 PM »
Spellbound is just that powerful. You turn a dead card in your hand into a useful spell. In the case of Duplex Barrier, you replace the card so you'll have more cards to turn into spellbound.

Yeah, that's still fantastic. Just not as fantastic as the instant speed white Divination combat trick that I was thinking it was.

Flying Phoenix makes 3 tokens and Ghastly Demise makes 4. With ramp, you can spam Yukari and Holyhock Keine for mass tokens and keep blinking Imperishable night so that the vanishing is a non-issue.

Oh yeah, forgot about Ghastly Demise. It also seems very powerful. Can Yukari blink enchantments? I don't have Cockatrice on this computer but if she can then that'll do. Hmm... Imperishable Night theme deck go!

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 05:55:52 PM »
Yukari blinks permanents. Again, due to the limited cardpool there aren't many good ETB effects to abuse. I don't count Mokou because she costs 6 and needs triple R

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 09:16:11 PM »
What is Evil Spirits Yukari supposed to do?

Whenever a creature dies, Evil Spirit Yukari gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

Springtime-Evil Spirits Yukari gains +2/+2 until end of turn instead if you control three or more untapped lands.

Is that supposed to be an additional +2/+2? Is it supposed to be two +1/+1 counters?

Isn't Graze actually strictly worse than Duplex Barrier? I can think of one incredibly specific situation where it isn't strictly worse. Is it a rarity thing? Is there a way to draft this set?

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 11:01:11 PM »
ingus Fatus Suika was the only sweeper I saw and it's an overcosted Pyroclasm.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 03:59:42 PM »
A little playtesting with my roommate is getting some weird results. The creature quality in this set seems fairly low, with few or no ultra-efficient one or two drops, while a handful of spells (Bloody Magic Square, Bar Of Ten Kings, and Silent Selene) are so powerful that they may be format-defining. Mana fixing is a mess, white and green are seeming kind of underpowered compared to the other colors, and the Springtime mechanic seems largely too weak to bother with.

The big winner so far seems to be black/red disruption, which is very resilient and fast and seems the most able to handle the more powerful spells. Now I'm interested to play some games online to see what other people are finding. And has anyone been able to get legendary Keine to work? I think I successfully got like a free land off of her once, but that has been it.

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 01:10:39 AM »
I have the lobby up on cockatrice, if anyone would care to join. I have a green ramp and (fringe) patchouli's library deck to playtest.

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 04:15:28 AM »
Darn, I hopped on too late it seems. I'll be looking into this, and will probably be joining in next week!
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki, if both of us ended up as mafia
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- I would be so angry
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- that I will snap and give into my rage

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 04:30:07 AM »
I'm still online and willing to play games, if you'd like.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 05:03:18 AM »
I checked in at one point but nobody seemed active. Didn't have a large window to try to play because I've been playing board games all day and still am. I'd be up for games tomorrow if anyone wants to give that a try. Although the games I've played with people locally have been really unpleasant. I am not loving this set so far. Scarlet Devil Mansion is really grindy and gross and seems to slow every game we play to a crawl. I want to see what other people came up with though, so it's too bad I missed the thing today.

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 05:15:07 AM »
Damn, gotta go now :| One question though, apparently I couldn't see your lobby when I looked at the room list on the Cockatrice server (in fact, the default chat room seemed to be the only one available). So how do I find and join the lobby, and which server are we on if not the default one?
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki, if both of us ended up as mafia
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- I would be so angry
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- that I will snap and give into my rage

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 06:10:46 AM »
There's only one server. I just closed the room earlier. I think I'll be free tmr afternoon.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 06:23:32 AM by Chronopolis »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2013, 08:58:17 AM »
The saturday lobby is at an ungodly hour for me. Can't get a game unless someone wants to be around at a different time.