Author Topic: Touhou Blogging Thread  (Read 225098 times)

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
Re: Touhou Blogging Thread
« Reply #690 on: January 18, 2015, 09:08:47 AM »

Welcome to Needle Mountain, where bomb-spamming is usually recommended for a stable 1cc  :V

I was on my last life and 2.fs power.

P. S. also lost a lot of lives on the midboss because MarisaA's bomb provides little visual feedback
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 11:04:51 PM by Fluffy8x »
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

LunaWillow

• >Everyone: Pose as a team
  • The world is real.
« Reply #691 on: January 22, 2015, 08:27:23 PM »
While playing MoF extra once again I made it up to Mishaguji-sama and died on like last several seconds of it. Seriously, her life was at end! Now I can't even do her first spell card right  :qq: That or I die on one of Kanako's attack.
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: PoFV
Extra Clear: PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF
Other Stuff: ISC all clear

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #692 on: January 24, 2015, 01:49:58 PM »
Recently, one of my goals was an NMNB IN extra using Netherworld Team. Got 2 runs with 1 miss (1 to Flying Phoenix and the other to Imperishable Shooting) but I've given up on that. The main goal was to get better with Youmu and I feel comfortable enough to move on. The stage as a whole was also getting annoying; I was getting trapped by a few attacks and I'm too scrubby lazy to grind runs until I manage to capture Mokou's last nonspell.

So I went and tried EoSD stage 5 and got annoyed by how awkward it is to practice because you start off with 2 lives. I did freeze my lives but that still means lots of deaths so I spends lots of time at 10 rank (minimum on lunatic). To fix that I froze rank at 32 but that makes certain stage enemies hellish (mainly the spammy fairies at the start). I eventually gave up on that. Then decided to give stage 6 a shot and its mostly the same problems. Starting enemies are horrible at high rank and freezing values isn't a great solution. Hitboxes on the medium sized circles also got obnoxious and I gave up on that as well.

I'm somehow running out of stage perfects to go for. The only ones I have any interest in are PCB 4, SA 5, UFO 5 and DDC 5 and of those, I just don't feel like PCB 4 and DDC 5 would be enjoyable. Maybe it's time I start properly going for score..

« Reply #693 on: January 25, 2015, 03:23:23 PM »
@Jovial: Or you could try some CAVE shooters.
==========================================================
Sakuya-B: 2 continues
Reimu-A: 1 continue
Marisa-A: All kinds of stupid deaths (and stupid border break on 80%) BUT no continue - 1-2 left in stock actually

This was my night of casual PCB Lunatic 3 Lives (aka I wanted to see what the other Prismrivers were like on Lunatic), after being awake for over 20 hours.
And to think some people say shot-type makes no difference if you can do 1cc lol
Movement speed, shot gimmicks, shot appearance (for hitbox-feeling), hitbox location/size, etc. etc. etc.
All kinds of stuff to throw you off - Sakuya felt extremely slippery after playing Marisa all the time >A>;;
(and I still think Reimu-C is slippery too in MoF, even compared to Reimu-A, but that just might be Reimu-C lol)

Too bad I didn't stream this, but I didn't feel like setting up everything *yawn*
Lunatic 1cc: 6, 7, 10, and 11 with All Shots; 8 with All Teams & Both Routes; 12, 13, 14
Extra Modes Clear (All Shots): 6 (0-3), 7, 8 (0-3), 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Other: 9.5 & 12.5 All Clear; Have tried 7.5, 9, 12.8, and a few fan games
Currently working on: Maybe I'll try IN solos or something
Score? Survival? Who cares - it's bullet-dodging catharsis, and I didn't even continue~!! *dances*

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #694 on: January 25, 2015, 10:14:33 PM »
And to think some people say shot-type makes no difference if you can do 1cc lol
First time I heard that. Shot type is very significant. Touhou shot types are never balanced for survival (with the possible exception of EoSD); there's almost always one or two that make the game much easier.

« Reply #695 on: January 26, 2015, 05:56:12 AM »
PCB's shots are actually fairly balanced imo.
Just having four bombs per life makes any Sakuya good for survival (even if B's don't deal damage, the base shot is pretty powerful); Reimu has a nice trade of shot and bomb damage added to her small hitbox and extended deathbomb window, and Marisa has a better item collection coupled with powerful (if narrow ranged) shots and bombs. It may come to preference in movement speed or convenience with homing, but all shots can get the job done with roughly the same effort.

But yeah, on most games your shot selection does matter, especially on the earlier games with the variable stage 4 boss.

on the later games it just comes to some shots being crap...

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

« Reply #696 on: January 26, 2015, 12:40:08 PM »
Balance is not the problem. It's what you are used to. It's like, just because you have a first-class(?) international drivers' license doesn't mean that you're comfortable driving vans around when you've been on a pickup truck your entire life.
Lunatic 1cc: 6, 7, 10, and 11 with All Shots; 8 with All Teams & Both Routes; 12, 13, 14
Extra Modes Clear (All Shots): 6 (0-3), 7, 8 (0-3), 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Other: 9.5 & 12.5 All Clear; Have tried 7.5, 9, 12.8, and a few fan games
Currently working on: Maybe I'll try IN solos or something
Score? Survival? Who cares - it's bullet-dodging catharsis, and I didn't even continue~!! *dances*

« Reply #697 on: January 26, 2015, 01:41:51 PM »
It could be a case where your current stage routes aren't exactly compatible with the other shot-types. I won't deny that being used to a shot-type is also important since each one has different strategies. Quirks such as the angle SakuyaB's shot shoot at is something you need to adjust to before you can use it effectively.

I'm only mentioning that bit about stage routes mostly because I have strategies with ReimuB that doesn't really work with MarisaA. I know in stage 4, I can't really graze the red suicide bullets before Lily White during a border with MarisaA as well as ReimuB or SakuyaB. Also, the Prismriver sister you start the fight with could make a significant difference since you could be used to fighting one sister while having not as much experience fighting the other (if I had to use an example, I could comfortably deal with Lunasa's opener while Merlin's scares me).

That being said, I've been trying and failing for the past month trying to beat my SakuyaB score with ReimuB in PCB (among other stuff). If there is anything good, I've gotten some consistency with my score at the end of each stage with my current routes. I've been seeing 800 million after stage 6 Youmu more often now. Sort of been failing Yuyuko far more than I should, though. I may need to go to practice mode to relearn her 3rd spellcard since I've been failing that a lot recently. Also failing Repository of Hirokawa a lot, but I blame that on me being greedy trying to graze it. I place myself at too much risk trying to end the card when I notice the timer at 3 seconds left. I may just go ahead and try to end the spellcard once there are 10 seconds left on the timer. I can see my current stage routes at least scoring 1.1 billion with ReimuB, which is my current goal to work towards. Doesn't help I get really nervous because I know I could potentially beat my current score. I should probably figure out more border timings since that could make a significant difference.

I probably should work on better survival, though. I don't think I ever pulled off a no death run in any of the difficulties in any game yet.

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #698 on: January 26, 2015, 10:46:59 PM »
PCB's shots are actually fairly balanced imo.
Just having four bombs per life makes any Sakuya good for survival (even if B's don't deal damage, the base shot is pretty powerful); Reimu has a nice trade of shot and bomb damage added to her small hitbox and extended deathbomb window, and Marisa has a better item collection coupled with powerful (if narrow ranged) shots and bombs. It may come to preference in movement speed or convenience with homing, but all shots can get the job done with roughly the same effort.

But yeah, on most games your shot selection does matter, especially on the earlier games with the variable stage 4 boss.

on the later games it just comes to some shots being crap...

They said the shot types were balanced...

Well, as they said, I'm the most used to SakuyaA, since I enjoy homing shots and bombspams.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #699 on: January 30, 2015, 09:45:28 PM »
I finally reached Patchy without bombing, but I failed horribly on Cranberry Trap and Laevanteinn, so I lost my last life at Four of a Kind.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

Mr Jovial

« Reply #700 on: February 07, 2015, 09:23:38 AM »
I've been playing Touhou for 2.5 years and only just figured out that pressing R in the menu restarts and Q quits  :X

« Reply #701 on: February 07, 2015, 06:10:08 PM »
I've been playing Touhou for 2.5 years and only just figured out that pressing R in the menu restarts and Q quits  :X

That's...

I don't know how to react to this...

Emerald Mint

• Gemstone
« Reply #702 on: February 07, 2015, 06:41:42 PM »
That's...

I don't know how to react to this...
Seems I'm not the only one either. Guess that's one thing I look past when using a controller.

« Reply #703 on: February 08, 2015, 12:27:07 AM »
Seems I'm not the only one either. Guess that's one thing I look past when using a controller.

OH but I DID knew about this actually.

I was just shocked that someone with that much experience didn't knew about such a small (But incredibly usefull) feature.

TBH I think I learned from its existence on this very same forum...Have been using it since the very first week I started to get into Touhou, thanks to this forum, lol.

To someone who does not visit these forums or anywhere else that might explain this feature, I can only see them discovering it by pure accident.

More OT:

Actively practicing MoF?s Lunatic Stages to later go with the 1cc...

So far I can do Stage 1 perfectly, Stage 2 with about 1 Bomb, Stage 3 with about 4-5 bombs, Stage 4 with 8-9 Bombs (And thus obviously a life or even 2 lost), and Stage 5 with 7-8 Bombs. (Haven't reached Stage 6 in Lunatic yet).

All of this are, of course, the very best I can do in each stage individually and with good RNG and play skill.... I don't expect to play this well in a real run... but maybe its time to give it a real try?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 12:34:41 AM by IlikeBulletZ »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #704 on: February 08, 2015, 12:50:55 AM »
So two transitions in Touhou have recently come about for me.

First, I recently revived an old laptop when my newer one whitescreened on me, and the only games it can play are PC-98. I've never been the biggest PC-98 fan, but what started as a begrudging interest has become more genuine. I'm still having a hard time with the way the bullets simply disappear in the backgrounds of some of the stages, but otherwise it's been great fun.

Second, my girlfriend has been playing DDC a lot, and at times I'll jump onto her computer to play it. I've always been an unapologetic Easy/Normal player, but lately, this difficulty level has kinda ... bored me. Funny how it took like eight years for that to happen. These days, what I typically do is spam continues as far as I can go on Lunatic, then restart on Hard (and I'm not Columbusing here - I know practicing on a higher difficulty than you typically play at is pretty standard). I think Hard has the right balance for me - really challenging, but not frustratingly so. Not after a round of Lunatic, anyway, that's for sure.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Ozzter

• Just lurking around, don't mind me.
« Reply #705 on: February 10, 2015, 04:17:35 PM »

Oh jeez, I didn't know about this either. This'll really help with needing to restart quickly, haha.

So I've been working towards 1cc runs on normal of ESoD through DDC recently. After some frustrating runs with UFO, I took a break and decided to play a bit of StB. Of course, starting day 6, that became very frustrating, and I stopped halfway through day 8. I then returned to UFO and then 1cc'd normal on my first try, so playing StB must've really helped out there. I only have 3 games left to 1cc now, MoF, TD, and SA. I don't plan on being able to do a 1cc run of SA anytime soon, and I'll probably work on TD before MoF, since I'm not all that fond of MoF.

I must say though, StB is pretty fun if not insanely frustrating for an average player like myself. Some of those spellcards are brutal. I also pretty much have a general opinion on each game by now, and I find DDC and SA to be my favorites.
Saying I rarely post is an understatement... but I'm always here...!

anthonyshu01

• Rin Kaenbyou
« Reply #706 on: February 11, 2015, 03:35:12 AM »
Im trying to get a normal 1cc run with Youmu on TD, but sometimes I run into a bullet after I unleash a charged attack due to me suddenly regaining speed in unfocused mode. (The charged attack is pretty op though for clearing regular stages)

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #707 on: February 11, 2015, 04:01:08 AM »
Im trying to get a normal 1cc run with Youmu on TD, but sometimes I run into a bullet after I unleash a charged attack due to me suddenly regaining speed in unfocused mode. (The charged attack is pretty op though for clearing regular stages)
You can release Z instead if unfocusing is an issue. Personally though I think it's generally easier to release shift.

---

On the topic of Esc-R and Esc-Q: They've been on the wiki gameplay pages since whenever I first discovered them (which was over 4 years ago).

For those of you who just found out, anyway-- note that Esc-R only works in Touhou 7 onward, and Esc-Q in Touhou 3 onward. (Some of the side games may be exceptions, too. I know StB is an exception from the recent quick challenge, at least, though it's not much of an issue when you can just ram a bullet/boss instead.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:02:41 AM by Karisa »

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #708 on: February 12, 2015, 10:17:19 AM »
And so today I finally cleared UFO on normal without continues.

I'm so glad! For the long, long time it was the hardest shooter in the Touhou and it was unbeatable for me. But now, I cleared it, and I can finally face Nue for real!
Only thing that makes me sad is my score. I guess it doesn't matter now. I 1cc'd UFO, that's all that matters!

Only games that I haven't 1cc on normal yet are EoSD and DDC. Time-stopping maid and screen-flipping amanojaku were the ones who prevented me from clearing those games. But now, I don't have choose... Ugh...

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #709 on: February 12, 2015, 08:42:15 PM »
And so today I finally cleared UFO on normal without continues.

I'm so glad! For the long, long time it was the hardest shooter in the Touhou and it was unbeatable for me. But now, I cleared it, and I can finally face Nue for real!
Only thing that makes me sad is my score. I guess it doesn't matter now. I 1cc'd UFO, that's all that matters!

Only games that I haven't 1cc on normal yet are EoSD and DDC. Time-stopping maid and screen-flipping amanojaku were the ones who prevented me from clearing those games. But now, I don't have choose... Ugh...

You can cheese Sakuya using bombs; she has only 3 spells total. In fact, I've yet to beat SA or UFO on Normal, but I've beat EoSD.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #710 on: February 13, 2015, 07:58:30 AM »
Maybe I can cheese her, but I keep timeouting her midboss spell and I don't get 1up for it... Freaking Sakuya, why do you need to fly all over the screen?!

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #711 on: February 13, 2015, 09:32:31 AM »
Maybe I can cheese her, but I keep timeouting her midboss spell and I don't get 1up for it... Freaking Sakuya, why do you need to fly all over the screen?!

I guess you're not using ReimuA. In that case, you will need to bomb on her spell.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

« Reply #712 on: February 13, 2015, 09:34:28 AM »
Making a pc-98 Touhou music mod for Doom. So nice to hear that music ingame!

Ozzter

• Just lurking around, don't mind me.
« Reply #713 on: February 13, 2015, 02:22:56 PM »

It took me a bit figure Misdirection out myself, but it's actually a really easy spellcard to dodge and capture. If you position yourself at one side, right under where Sakuya would appear or move to, and stay there without following her if she moves to the side, the smaller daggers are easier to dodge and you can focus on dodging the knives. Just stay in that spot, and keep shooting her when she teleports over to your side, and from there it should be easy to beat, even capture that spellcard. The biggest thing is to not follow her when she goes to the opposite side.
Saying I rarely post is an understatement... but I'm always here...!

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #714 on: February 13, 2015, 07:29:36 PM »
It took me a bit figure Misdirection out myself, but it's actually a really easy spellcard to dodge and capture. If you position yourself at one side, right under where Sakuya would appear or move to, and stay there without following her if she moves to the side, the smaller daggers are easier to dodge and you can focus on dodging the knives. Just stay in that spot, and keep shooting her when she teleports over to your side, and from there it should be easy to beat, even capture that spellcard. The biggest thing is to not follow her when she goes to the opposite side.
Thank you!  I couldn't figure it out.
I tried beating the game once again and with very little resources I had I got pretty far in Remilia fight (I died in her second to last spell). Still, I didn't beat the game, but I'm getting closer.

I also tried DDC normal. Man, THIS GAME IS HARD. I didn't even got to Shinmyoumaru with continues! Kagerou, Tsukumo sisters, Seija... That's too much for me.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:29:24 PM by LunaWillow »

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #715 on: February 13, 2015, 10:47:33 PM »
I also tried DDC normal. Man, THIS GAME IS HARD. I didn't even got to Shinmyoumaru with continues! Kagerou, Tsukumo sisters, Seija... That's too much for me.
DDC can give quite a lot of lives-- try to figure out places where you can get reliable 2.0s, in stage practice.

Choco Beam

• おやすみしな
« Reply #716 on: February 14, 2015, 12:13:25 PM »
I'll have to stop playing IN again to focus more on other stuff. I'll come back during Summer break (around June) when I have more free time. Keep the IN scoreboard warm for me, people. I want to see some improvements! and hopefully my scores won't be 1st place anymore when I come back.

Mr Jovial

« Reply #717 on: February 14, 2015, 12:30:10 PM »
Keep the IN scoreboard warm for me, people.
Hopefully I'll have learnt how to score decently by then :>

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #718 on: February 14, 2015, 12:38:59 PM »

DDC can give quite a lot of lives-- try to figure out places where you can get reliable 2.0s, in stage practice.

Adding to this, bear in mind that you can always drop a bomb when the screen is covered with enemies and/or resources, which is highly likely to give you a 2.0. And then keep milking the PoC for green stars, so you can continue said bombspam. It's actually kinda nuts how much DDC shovels lives and bombs your way.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #719 on: February 14, 2015, 03:35:50 PM »
EoSD cleared! Not beaing able to see your hitbox wasn't really a issue.  I almost captured Remmy's last spelcard, but I accidentally run into the bubble.

Now, only DDC is left. I cleared it today, but with all continues. I'll try your advices. I'll also try to practise Stages 4-6 more, so I won't screw up a good run.