Author Topic: Touhou Blogging Thread  (Read 225090 times)

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
Re: Touhou Blogging Thread
« Reply #480 on: June 02, 2014, 11:52:26 AM »
I am conflicted. One part of me want to continue playing MoF Lunatic, since I did my first perfect (all possible items collected at max value) stage 4 today with the WR route. I would be able to go for 2.18 with some speed kill practices with this route.
Another part of me want to quit completely. Who knows how long it will take me to get consistent with this (it is VERY rng based) and actually completing a credit is a whole different story. I probably have to sell my soul to this game.

Hopefully I can come up with a decision soon.
On another note Syaro is fucking cute.

Late answer, but yes, she's the best!

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #481 on: June 02, 2014, 07:19:23 PM »
Re: GFW. Yeah, no. I seem to be allergic to anything but the strict classic slow danmaku formula. Or maybe there truly is something in newer Touhou engines that just doesn't sit well with me.

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #482 on: June 03, 2014, 06:35:51 PM »
My IN LNBs have simultaneously become better and worse. Stages 2 and 3 haven't been giving me much trouble recently and I've gotten to the point where I usually NMNB Stage 4B now but for some reason, Tewi's 1st, Reisen's 2nd non, Illusion Seeker and Mind Stopper have suddenly started killing me a lot in most runs but when I go to practice them I have almost no trouble with them. Tewi's 1st is a problem spot for me, I fail it more than I fail Rising World yet my practice logs say I should be able to do it almost 60% of the time (at this point its 57%). Stage 6B is stage 6B. Kaguya is still terrifying and I need a bit of luck to cap her first 4 attacks. The weird thing is that I've simultaneously become much better at Buddhist Diamond but almost always fail Brilliant Dragon Bullet. A few weeks ago it was the complete opposite.

I also recently passed 300 attempts on Wriggle's midboss spell. Surprisingly I've failed it on more than 10% of my runs (right now its 293/329).

Ghost

• Fluke dodging is the best tactic.
« Reply #483 on: June 04, 2014, 03:42:12 AM »
^ I have the same problem with my PCB LNBs

Like I'll get stage 3 completely consistent, then start dying stupidly to lily white, or I'll perfect yuyuko a bunch of times, but also die like 2-3 times to youmu and twice to the sisters each run.
I know I should be able to capture every spell card consistently besides youmu's first end stage boss card (fuck that >.>), and the sisters' last card depending on how the bullets get aimed, and obviously stage 6 spam is essentially impossible to get consistent, but I still fail other random stuff that I can do consistently in practice (like Chen's mid stage card or youmu's second end stage card, or yuyuko's final 2 cards :/)

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #484 on: June 04, 2014, 12:05:56 PM »
I decided to continue at Touhou Labyrinth and I managed to clear many floor in a relatively short amount of time. Beating all of the bosses on them is a different story.
So far, I made it at floor... at floor... um... just after the really dark floor, ok? X D
My reward for beating Baal Avatar?
Spoiler:
Getting beated up by a even stronger boss!
Thanks, game! X D
Also, I am under the strong impression that I will beed a lot of fire resistance to clear some of those bonus bosses.
Also, I swear Fire (flame?) Tyrant is name after the fire elemental lord from the very first Romancing SaGa.
Would that be surprising? After all, there is a Baal Avatar in Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne.

As for how hard the game is so far... well it's really kind of weird. My characters keep getting killed but yet I don't get total party kill that often. X D
It's a different dynamic. X D

You can wish for anything!

« Reply #485 on: June 04, 2014, 03:55:47 PM »
^ I have the same problem with my PCB LNBs

Like I'll get stage 3 completely consistent, then start dying stupidly to lily white, or I'll perfect yuyuko a bunch of times, but also die like 2-3 times to youmu and twice to the sisters each run.
I know I should be able to capture every spell card consistently besides youmu's first end stage boss card (fuck that >.>), and the sisters' last card depending on how the bullets get aimed, and obviously stage 6 spam is essentially impossible to get consistent, but I still fail other random stuff that I can do consistently in practice (like Chen's mid stage card or youmu's second end stage card, or yuyuko's final 2 cards :/)
Have you tried timing a border for Youmu's first card, so that you can jump through the majority of the bullets on the invincibility period? Abusing this works on the stage 6 spam as well, and a bunch of other things. I believe stopping shooting on stage 6 spam also makes it easier, but not sure why. At the very least the visibility becomes less of an issue without your shot or items falling on top of the bullets, and maybe the bullets even get slower if you're not shooting the fairies because of some sort of revenge bullet system.

« Reply #486 on: June 04, 2014, 05:39:16 PM »
The stage six spam is a lot more dense if you don't shoot, as the fairies will get to remain on the screen and thus fire for a longer time. I've also never had a problem of my shot covering the bullets. I did a quick test with both shooting and not shooting and I really couldn't say that there had been a noticeable difference, apart from me having to try two times more for the opener when not shooting. - Both do seem equally readable when given good enough RNG, and stupidly difficult when having bad luck.

Ghost

« Reply #487 on: June 04, 2014, 05:39:38 PM »
Have you tried timing a border for Youmu's first card, so that you can jump through the majority of the bullets on the invincibility period? Abusing this works on the stage 6 spam as well, and a bunch of other things. I believe stopping shooting on stage 6 spam also makes it easier, but not sure why. At the very least the visibility becomes less of an issue without your shot or items falling on top of the bullets, and maybe the bullets even get slower if you're not shooting the fairies because of some sort of revenge bullet system.
Can't say I've tried it for Youmu, but I'll look into it. I know it's a strat for stage 6 spam but I find more often than not it's just annoying having all the point items converge towards you, reducing visibility, lol.
I'm using Sakuya-A, so at least for her I'd think being able to kill a bunch of fairies would reduce the bullet density more than any increase from shooting them.

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #488 on: June 06, 2014, 06:54:07 PM »
I'm slowly resigning myself to the possibility that I might have to practice attacks that I find extraordinarily mundane, boring and easy because from time to time I still fail them. For...reasons. Spellcards like Reisen's first, or Kaguya's third, you know? Spellcards that aren't very difficult and die within 10 seconds, yet they still hit you and leave you puzzled for the remainder of the run (Not that I have failed either of those 2 in recent times, but they're examples). There's also some nonspells, but I have to practice the stages anyway. I was fine with practicing difficult or super important attacks (e.g Kaguya's last spells for super important, or first 2 spells for hard), but I do feel a bit bad about practicing that should be auto-captures. But you know...consistency and stuff.

I have roughly 3 weeks until I leave for Germany and have a significantly smaller screen. I wanted to practice for the next 2 weeks and then do some runs in the last week see how far that takes me. It would be nice if I got anywhere before I have to switch to the teeny-tiny laptop desktop.

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #489 on: June 08, 2014, 06:40:21 PM »
Just when I thought there won't be any spellcard for me to capture left, this afternoon I end up capturing 10-6 after hundreds of tries. This makes my 64th spellcard captured without items.
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #490 on: June 08, 2014, 09:17:50 PM »
I have to say that the prospect of potentially playing for score in the future in games and modes I can't even clear now is somewhat frightening. On one hand, I know it's possible to get that good, and I certainly wouldn't mind reaching that point. But on the other hand, it still looks like such a long journey, even if I've finally limited myself to games I really enjoy playing. Oh well, not like I haven't surprised myself a few times by now. Next few years will be quite fun, I'm sure.

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #491 on: June 09, 2014, 11:41:16 PM »
I've decided after yesterday's PB that I will be working on practicing every stage for the next week or two. I'll also finally be learning stage 1. Maybe. If I feel like it. w But here's a small excerpt of why stage 2 is hard (of course that's not all there is to stage 2). And why I have to practice it:

http://youtu.be/fkCWnMuBhMo

Andrew

• Retired player
« Reply #492 on: June 14, 2014, 03:18:09 AM »
Just started playing EoSD again after not having played it for over a year. Last time I played it I could barely clear Extra. Well, now that my skills have improved, I was able to 1cc Hard on the first try, and make it to Scarlet Gensokyo on Lunatic after a couple hours of practice. Still not as good as I am at PCB, but it's nice to see how far I've come since my struggle to beat Flandre last year. Will probably work on UFO Hard and some of the other Lunatic 1ccs after I get this one.

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #493 on: June 18, 2014, 02:33:59 PM »
Lol, it's true that when you get used to higher difficulties the easier ones seems a joke.....

Been crossing swords with EoSD Extra and Lunatic for a while, then today i noticed i never 1cc'd Normal beside ReimuB so i went for it...... 1cc'd the 3 other shot-types in the first attempt and for the first time i captured Scarlet Shoot  :D

Too bad my perfectionism has kicked in and now i want to 1cc all shot-types in Hard too..... Lunatic will wait a bit more  :V

Mesarthim

• Oh no, which direction should I move?
  • Clumsy
« Reply #494 on: June 20, 2014, 06:42:52 AM »
So it turns out I didn't lose ALL of my 12.5+ data after the reformat due to forgetting to back up the shanghai alice folder. I have some (outdated) Fairy War replays (salvaged my no death extra from the score thread since I had that uploaded) as well as the replays for all of my double spoiler stages for Hatate, no data for either though so that has to be redone.

I don't like that I have to re-1cc for Reimu B Lunatic and Sakuya B Hard for Double Dealing Character though, those shot types and difficulty combinations were not terribly easy for me. I want my clear stamps back. Why did you have to move the save data for touhou ZUN :(

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Lunatic 1cc: 8 (IN), 9 (PoFV), 11 (SA), 12.8 (GFW), 14 (DDC)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

Szayelaporro Granz

« Reply #495 on: June 20, 2014, 01:16:26 PM »
Scoring 6-7 and man, it's much harder than I thought. The timing needs to be PERFECT and I can't think much at all. Enduring this for more than 30 seconds will be though :V
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
My favorite touhou music

Szayelaporro Granz

« Reply #496 on: June 21, 2014, 11:19:28 AM »
I'm practicing DDC Extra spells for about an hour. I can capture all spell cards consistently except for the last three and Tsukumo's 2nd. I think I'm ready for the real run, wish me a good luck.
*Bug abuse.
My favorite touhou music

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #497 on: June 21, 2014, 02:49:43 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..............

EoSD Hard ReimuB, facing Remilia with zero lifes and 1 bomb...... use it to overcome "Mountain of a Thousand Needles"..... game over HALF A SECOND BEFORE CAPTURING SCARLET MEISTER!  :colonveeplusalpha:  So mad right now.... ?_?

At least i captured The World.... now if only i could remove the "killing" part from "Killing Doll"....  :V

Btw, is there any trick to Meiling's "Illusion Sign "Flower Imaginary Dream Vine"" or is just pure dodging?

Szayelaporro Granz

« Reply #498 on: June 21, 2014, 03:03:16 PM »
Btw, is there any trick to Meiling's "Illusion Sign "Flower Imaginary Dream Vine"" or is just pure dodging?
Pretty much.
*Bug abuse.
My favorite touhou music

« Reply #499 on: June 21, 2014, 05:00:46 PM »
Bullets in this spell are somewhat clustered, so I would advise reading them earlier. You can save yourself a lot of micrododging by just going around the clusters.

wailofthebanshee

• Go away for a bit.
« Reply #500 on: June 21, 2014, 07:38:07 PM »
I wondered this for the longest time, decided that there wasn't, and subsequently bombed it every time just to make sure.

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #501 on: June 29, 2014, 03:18:05 PM »
Withouth going too much into details, I am now grinding at the 30th floor in Labyrinth of Touhou. Everyone is at least level 300.
Now it's only a matter of time before I beat all of the bosses. 5 of them left. ^^
****edit****
Only 3 of them now, the 3 toughest ones. Looks like I still need to level up a bit. X D
My team level ranges from 332 to 388. Might need to reach 350 to 400? ^^;
At least the grind is getting easier, I have beaten most of the random battles on floor 30.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:50:22 PM by Mew seeker »

You can wish for anything!

« Reply #502 on: July 02, 2014, 05:47:44 PM »
Unlocked Level 10 on Shoot the Bullet. On my very first try on Lie "Tongue of Wolf" I got all but one of the required photos. I haven't been able to replicate this in any of my later tries. Beginner's luck, perhaps?

Also, why can I still not capture Meiling's cards where she chases you around the screen? Some of the Level 7 spell cards are easier than this.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #503 on: July 02, 2014, 06:16:41 PM »
Only 3 of them now, the 3 toughest ones. Looks like I still need to level up a bit. X D
My team level ranges from 332 to 388. Might need to reach 350 to 400? ^^;
At least the grind is getting easier, I have beaten most of the random battles on floor 30.
I think my Reimu was at level 400ish for Hibachi v2 and Serpent of Chaos (probably could have done it lower, but consistency in attempting) and was level 600 when I finally took down the final superboss.  Could have done that one lower (550ish), but the extra levels really made Meiling a lot more survivable-she could practically survive solo, so it was just a matter of finding time to switch in nukes near the end.

Ghost

« Reply #504 on: July 04, 2014, 06:08:50 AM »
Got another 3MNBNBB for PCB....
Which is like my 4th one.
This one particularly annoys me because all 3 deaths were pretty bad, and to cards that I always capture. Youmu OP, even when I capture her first end stage boss card (which I find to be the most difficult card in the game), she still finds a way to kill me 3 times later in the fight. And by that I mean I let pressure get to me and ran back into bullets 3 times.
Though I think that's the first time I've perfected stage 6 in a run, so there's that at least.

The main issue is that I feel like I'm improving but I still haven't got less than 3 misses in a run, pretty frustrating, though I'll get there eventually..

« Reply #505 on: July 04, 2014, 03:34:38 PM »
I have decided to start working on Lunatic, now that I have barely 1cc'ed all integer shooters on Hard except SA. :v
Naturally I picked MoF for the 1sissy, but there is still a lot to work on.

Possible to-do list to ensure an easy 1sissy Mof Lunatic Bombfest:
-A route for stage 3 to grab all the resources, without bombing too much. (Memorization)
-Extensive VoWG practice
-A route for stage 5 for specific parts

So, my problem is that I can't stand memorization. And it seems I can't afford to bomb every single nonspell and spellcard.  :V
-Hina's cards all seem exploitable except the last one, but I usually just panic bomb resulting in too little power going into Stage 3.
-Nitori's nonspells are easy but her spells are basically WTFOMGBOMB! Is there a trick to the first one? So little space I don't even.
-And the rest are just pure BS. The gap between Hard and Lunatic is HUGE. Same concept, much harder execution most of the time. (Or just impossibru)

Is it even an acceptable mindset to do well enough in certain parts so that I can happily bomb the others?   :ohdear:

Chronic Lurkurrr

« Reply #506 on: July 04, 2014, 05:02:58 PM »
Is it even an acceptable mindset to do well enough in certain parts so that I can happily bomb the others?   :ohdear:
Actually, MoF is one game where you can literally bomb every single pattern and still clear.
However, this would mean doing well on the stage portions and not screwing VoWG too hard.

You should just see which patterns you can do consistently (some are quite easy even in the late game) and bomb everything else ; have a general idea of what to do during stage portions (mostly 4 and 5), and pray during VoWG.

Good luck ! :)

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #507 on: July 04, 2014, 05:58:07 PM »
Possible to-do list to ensure an easy 1sissy Mof Lunatic Bombfest:
-A route for stage 3 to grab all the resources, without bombing too much. (Memorization)
-Extensive VoWG practice
-A route for stage 5 for specific parts

So, my problem is that I can't stand memorization. And it seems I can't afford to bomb every single nonspell and spellcard.  :V
-Hina's cards all seem exploitable except the last one, but I usually just panic bomb resulting in too little power going into Stage 3.
-Nitori's nonspells are easy but her spells are basically WTFOMGBOMB! Is there a trick to the first one? So little space I don't even.
-And the rest are just pure BS. The gap between Hard and Lunatic is HUGE. Same concept, much harder execution most of the time. (Or just impossibru)
Alright then, Stage 3 is actually pretty simple in practice-basically everything is either streamed or can be speedkilled (like rotating spam fairies before midboss Nitori).  The only tricky part is the part right after midboss Nitori, I found going to the right on the 4th fairy to be most effective for transitioning to the descending fairy part.  You can bomb it and get your power back before the end of the stage, so if you mess up then bomb.
VoWG practice can't really be avoided-for a first clear I'd suggest bombing any time you don't see a way to macrododge to avoid the micro part.  2 lives going in should be enough to clear like that.
Stage 5...it's kind of hard to explain.  I will point out that I was nervous and out of practice at the stage, so I forgot the alternate method for the opening (sweeping across the whole screen against the direction of the fairies) and how to take out the fairies for the kunai+walls (shoot down 2 left, 3 right, 2 left and stream the kunai to the right).  Stage 5 gives back a ludicrous amount of power, though, so you can afford to bomb a lot of sections.

Pain Flow doesn't really have a trick, but the loss of power should take you lower than 3-knowing how to approach Stage 3 with all the streamed/speedkill parts can give you your power back very easily.
Nitori's 1st and 3rd spells have tricks, her 2nd is just straight up dodging.  For her first, I spot a sort of 'hill' on the left side, go right up next to it to be safe from the wave.  This also gives room to stream Nitori's aimed shots.  Her 3rd is also kind of hard to explain my method for, but there are lots of ways to approach it.  Here's my typical Nitori fight.
Nothing is impossible, the jump can be pretty sizable but with some practice, Stage 5 becomes a total non-threat and that alone saves enough resources to make clearing much easier.

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #508 on: July 05, 2014, 02:39:20 PM »
Was unable to play for about a week due to school work and the fact that I was travelling across England to go to university open days. After coming back, I have a decent run up to Keine. Forgot what to do on GHQ Crisis and died, died to Three Treasures -Country- because I'm dumb then had a weird timing issue on Future God's Realm that meant I got hit. I've gone from 3 miss LNB runs to 3 miss stage 3 runs :V. My skills degrade annoyingly fast :<

EDIT: Also found out I forgot what enemies appear when in stage 4. This is getting bad, I'd rather not have to run through every stage again just to check I can still do everything.

EDIT2: On a completely unrelated note, Rising World just became my most played spellcard. 152/608 in spellcard practice. Previously, my most played card was Apollo 13 which is at 135/599 in spellcard practice.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 01:27:01 PM by Mr Jovial »

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #509 on: July 12, 2014, 06:00:43 PM »
I haven't really had any Touhou drive lately. I've just been spending most of my time doing work and planning for school.

Survival play has gotten really dull, and scoring isn't any better, given the huge amounts of restarts and practice it requires.

I had another "drive" during the 4th of July where I was going to get back into PCB scoring. But sure enough, like every other time I've had a "Drive", I immediately changed my mind a few days later and went back to doing non-Touhou things. This just proves that I really don't feel like playing Touhou hardcore anymore, and that I'd rather find a new hobby, which I am.

I've accepted the fact that I won't ever be considered a "world-class player" or a "superplayer" by some people. But I no longer care about what those people think. So I can finally move onto other things.

My current hobby is just marathoning anime and sleeping. Perhaps I'll pick up a new hobby sometime. Actually. There's one thing that I really need to get back into. But I just can't find the motivation to do.

I still plan to participate in Karisa's Atypical challenges, and maybe hosting some of my own challenges in the future. Since those are actually really fun to do.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:05:04 PM by Touko ☆ »