Author Topic: Touhou Blogging Thread  (Read 225092 times)

Seventh Holy Scripture

• Err... d'ya need somethin' from me?
Re: Touhou Blogging Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »
This thread has been split so as not to derail it. All posts concerning recent moderator actions should go in the new thread instead. Further posts on the subject in this thread will be deleted.

Please return to your regularly scheduled Touhou blogging!

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2013, 09:17:39 PM »
Been working on LNNN attempts as usual. After getting that close call on Yuyuko the other day, I'm starting to believe that I'm very close! Just a bit more effort! I'm getting more consistent at the first three stages. I think I have then down. Stage 4 is getting a lot better for me. I've learned how to deal with Lily White, and I've gotten more consistent at Lunasa's second nonspell! Stage 5 is getting better as well. I find myself capturing Youmu's first spell way more often now!

I've been doing worse at Yuyuko than I usually do, though. So I might have to get practicing on her. I'm not sure why I've had so much trouble with her penultimate. It's unusual.  :wat:

P.S. I very much appreciate it, Seventh Holy Scripture! :3

LepLep

• BIG
  • cat
« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »

Oh boy, cleared SA on lunatic during a livestream (sorry for the kuso-strm that wasn't exactly viewable though).

Off to grab some popcorn now. :3

*EDIT*

Might as well stuff this into the post too. (Took more effort than the SA clear after all~)

Jovial: PM'd~

*EDIT EDIT*

YouTube links~
Touhou 11 Lunatic
Touhou 3 Lunatic

Myon.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:08:07 PM by L3PiK »

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2013, 09:27:23 PM »

Where did you get that and why do I not have one ten?
Spoiler:
No, I'm not talking about the Smirnoff

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2013, 09:37:29 PM »
This thread has been split so as not to derail it. All posts concerning recent moderator actions should go in the new thread instead. Further posts on the subject in this thread will be deleted.

Please return to your regularly scheduled Touhou blogging!

But the thread got locked ;_;

Oh boy, cleared SA on lunatic during a livestream (sorry for the kuso-strm that wasn't exactly viewable though).

Off to grab some popcorn now. :3

Congrats!!  :D
Youtube Channel!
Please check it out for Touhou commentaries, LPs, piano transcriptions and more!
My Touhou replays!

Seventh Holy Scripture

• Err... d'ya need somethin' from me?
« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2013, 09:48:55 PM »
But the thread got locked ;_;

As I mentioned in my post there, start a new one in PTA Letters to the Editor if you feel it needs further discussion.
That is all that shall be said upon on the matter in this thread.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 02:11:40 AM by Seventh Holy Scripture »

« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2013, 10:05:44 PM »
Ok I learned most mof stages and i think no bombs will be done soon.
spent like 6 hours practicing today :V

Oh

« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2013, 01:07:40 AM »
Hmm. Glad to be back.

Being a bit interested in LNN now I should probably practice my no bomb routes again.
For score, 2 billion is merely a starting point. I wish to have at least 2.1b, when I have to work on it I will.
Maybe EoSD 450m and 2MNB, but that's for (way) later.

I guess that's all I have to say for now.

I haven't played STGs for months. School is too strong.

This.

« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2013, 01:14:18 AM »
I have no clue if this is useful or not.

Yes, that was a blog.

Shio Yamote

• Like a Miko
  • OMG! Clipdeaths!
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2013, 02:44:40 AM »
Not much to say but after 4 straight hours, I finally beat Suwako. Took me more than 20 tries, but somehow I managed to capture her final spellcard in my first try hell yeah. :getdown:

After 2 months without playing EoSD I booted it up some days ago and beat flandre. Took me way less tries than Mokou and Ran/Yukari and even less than Suwako. I'm trying to 1cc SA on normal now cuz I feel like I'm cheating by downloading a score file and I don't think I'm ready for Koishi yet. Everything was going OK until Yuugi kicked my ass in stage 3 causing me to ragequit.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 02:49:47 AM by Shio Yamote »
1cc's:
Normal: All
Hard: PCB, IN, TD
Lunatic: IN
Extras: EoSD, PCB Extra+Phantasm, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD

« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2013, 03:01:36 AM »
Yeah... SA gives me issues. Specifically, the kind that makes me want to punch my laptop screen in with the rage that it induces. 

On the other hand, found one of my replays in IN apparently hit 1.1 billion score.  :]

« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2013, 06:20:06 PM »
I've decided to only play Touhou on Lunatic (or Extra) mode from now on ; hoping it will help me improve whatever meagre skills I have.

Ghost

• Fluke dodging is the best tactic.
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2013, 01:01:40 AM »
Seems silly to me to limit yourself to Lunatic.
If you can't clear lower difficulties than there's no point, and some games probably have easier lunatic clears than another game's hard clears (tbh PCB, TD and DDC lunatic are easier than UFO hard for example, at least with no limitations).

I mean, if you're just overwhelmed and bombing all the time then that's not really going to teach you to dodge stuff.

Anyway, I managed to clear SA Lunatic, didn't die to Spider loli like I do 9/10 times because she's evil, and had a pretty good run through the rest of the stages (though I did more or less fluke the entirety of stage 5, but what kind of first clear would it be without lots of fluke dodging), and Utsuho's probably the easiest final boss in the series so only having 2 extra lives (including the one you build up during the fight) to beat her is manageable.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 01:03:43 AM by FreeGothitelle »

Shio Yamote

• Like a Miko
  • OMG! Clipdeaths!
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2013, 02:56:37 AM »
Just perfected IN stage 6B on Lunatic (not counting my death in her last spells)  :toot:.  Is it just me or Kaguya is easier than Eirin? (Omoikane's Brain and Hourai Elixir can go die in a fire)

Oh and I think I'm going to stay away from touhou for a few weeks. SA extra made me cry of anger (for real). I would be so much better in touhou if I didn't had soooo much bad luck. Even my psychologist said that I'm the unluckiest person on earth.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:19:02 AM by Shio Yamote »
1cc's:

« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2013, 11:30:04 AM »
Seems silly to me to limit yourself to Lunatic.
If you can't clear lower difficulties than there's no point
Well, I can, actually. I've cleared half of the main games on Lunatic, even though it was some months ago now.
It's just that I tend to stick to Hard mode regardless for an unknown reason, which seems silly and probably doesn't help.

Ghost

• Fluke dodging is the best tactic.
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2013, 11:51:18 AM »
Well, I can, actually. I've cleared half of the main games on Lunatic, even though it was some months ago now.
It's just that I tend to stick to Hard mode regardless for an unknown reason, which seems silly and probably doesn't help.

Then yea, I wouldn't really stick to a difficulty you've already beaten.

Though earlier difficulties can still be fun for no vert or low graze challenges and stuff.

« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2013, 04:39:45 PM »
Just perfected IN stage 6B on Lunatic (not counting my death in her last spells)  :toot:.  Is it just me or Kaguya is easier than Eirin? (Omoikane's Brain and Hourai Elixir can go die in a fire)

Oh and I think I'm going to stay away from touhou for a few weeks. SA extra made me cry of anger (for real). I would be so much better in touhou if I didn't had soooo much bad luck. Even my psychologist said that I'm the unluckiest person on earth.

Uh, you're having trouble clearing extras but you NMNB'd Kaguya Lunatic? All right then...

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #137 on: November 08, 2013, 07:02:42 PM »
Uh, you're having trouble clearing extras but you NMNB'd Kaguya Lunatic? All right then...

It's possible assuming this person has put infinitely more time into IN than anything else.

As for SA extra: top. It's 95% static. "Bad luck" is not an excuse. Just admit you're not good at dodging things you haven't memorized, rather than fleeing into excuses that don't make any sense.

--------------

@Reiko&FreeGothitelle Scoring would also a possibility for lower difficulties. I can beat hard and loonie rather handily, but they're too hard for me to score in for now, so I do it in easy and normal. Just to point out the arguably coolest possibility here.

--------------

Decided to take a break from IN extra. The practice is getting kind of annoying and I don't feel like I have made much progress on HMD supergraze. It's not a very fun attack, but it's so very vital to getting a good score. So instead of making myself hate the extra stage forever, I'll take a break and try something fresh.

Which would be SA normal. I feel like I got stage 1 and 2 down sufficiently. (Of course, I will always practice some more) Stage 3 seems really tedious. I probably won't milk Yuugi's first spellcard. It looks obnoxious. I'll try it and if it's not super easy, I'll omit it in my run simply because learning it would be a hassle. What I can't omit are the laser nonspells, though. Alas, they're fortunately static. And so is the stage potion. Lasers are probably the dullest way of gaining graze.
Stage 4 looks fun, even if pretty difficult. I feel like you could be riskier with the grazing and gain some more than the WR (which would make up for omitting Yuugi's first spell, or, alternatively If I do it after all, gain an edge on the WR). Stage 4 has a lot of bombing unfortunately, but also manual grazes. I don't think I will omit anything here and try the WR routes as best as I can. As for Satori herself: I won't grazemilk the nonspells like nyanko does. Ridiculously little gain and it's boring as HELL. Aside from that, I won't leave anything out. First spell is dull too, but gives too much for an easy gain to leave out. BoWaP safespot is Important as well and a good breather. For various reasons. ;)
Stage 5 has some hard sections, but I think I won't leave out anything. the PoC's at the beginning of the stage are static, so once I have those down, they shouldn't pose much of a problem anymore. Timing out the popcorn section at 0 power will be ugh. But since this is normal, I guess it's not as hard to dodge as it'd on lunatic. Not that you time out Orin on lunatic. In short, stage 5 is pretty much boring memoshit. you don't graze very much either (outside of midboss and boss), but it's the first cash-in stage, pretty much. Orin herself will be fairly hard I think. boring first nonspell and a nongrazing spellcard, okay. Milking the second nonspell however...will be hard. It's worth a lot and very important. Gotta learn that. Of course, it's static if I do the same shit every time. Spleen eater is okay, I guess. I never knew you could graze the wisps to be honest. Ghost wheel bombing is what? I'll probably mistime that shit and die or something like that. I fear for the day a run makes it there. But it's thousands of graze, so very important. Gotta learn it.
Stage 6 is mostly streaming and cash-in. Blazing Wheel speedkill looks kind of tight, but in the end it's the same as doing it normally. It shouldn't cause too much trouble. I hope I won't die in some retarded manner to it. I am not sure how worth it is to milk Okuu's nonspells. It seems awfully redundant. you only gain very few point items from this point. Of course, her nons are easy, so there is little risk in actually milking them. I just don't see the worth of it. I think I'll look into it some and decide from there if it's worth it or not. Chances are I will probably bomb her first and possibly second spellcard due to nervousness. The rest is really easy and if I died to them, I deserve it. Stage 6 should be much easier than 4 and 5 - possibly stage 3 too.

Now let's see how this will turn out...

-----------

Oh an people, PLEASE stop using this thread to post your achievements. This is a thread where you can reflect upon things or talk about things that you think lie ahead of you, not to brag about the shit you've already done. We have a different thread for that. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:10:30 PM by Sakurei »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2013, 07:17:58 PM »
If you are crying literal, actual tears when playing Touhou, yes, it is time to play eXceed or Gradius or whatever for a while.

I also find it hugely ironic that your psychologist, of all people, would say you were "unlucky". IN is not a random bullet generator. You just have to practice it, and keep practicing it, until you get it. Once you come back from your vacation from Touhou, that is.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Shio Yamote

• Like a Miko
  • OMG! Clipdeaths!
« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2013, 07:19:43 PM »

I started playing Touhou 5 months ago. Spent 4 months into IN and 1 month on the rest.
As for SA extra: top. It's 95% static. "Bad luck" is not an excuse. Just admit you're not good at dodging things you haven't memorized, rather than fleeing into excuses that don't make any sense.

What I meant by bad luck, is dodging loads and loads of crap like a boss and then collide with a single, small bullet. I do need more practice but I do have bad luck. When I was trying to time out saigyouji flawless nirvana, I died when the counter reached 00. And I still don't know WTF just killed me.

I also find it hugely ironic that your psychologist, of all people, would say you were "unlucky".

Yeah, I still can't believe it but he REALLY said that.  First he said bad luck doesn't exists, but after some visits he admitted that I'm very unlucky but it won't be like that forever. (I really hope so)

Anyway, I said I was going to stay away from touhou for some weeks but I can't... it's stronger than me. Booted up SA and finally cleared it (1cc). I'm very happy now because IMO I'm improving more and more everyday. Touhou also improved my reflexes in real life and in other games too so I think that no matter how much I rage, I will never quit touhou.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:32:31 PM by Shio Yamote »
1cc's:

Zil

« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2013, 08:54:25 PM »
Thanks to Touhou I am now built like Hercules.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2013, 08:59:37 PM »
Anyway, I said I was going to stay away from touhou for some weeks but I can't... it's stronger than me. Booted up SA and finally cleared it (1cc). I'm very happy now because IMO I'm improving more and more everyday. Touhou also improved my reflexes in real life and in other games too so I think that no matter how much I rage, I will never quit touhou.

That's the spirit. Welcome to STG addiction. It's a masochistic kind of fun, but as long as you feel that rush, nothing can stop you from reaching whatever heights you wish.

I certainly recognize what you describe as "bad luck". True, some days you ram bullets in plain sight, but others you pull off stuff you never expected to do before. The thing is, I found that this kind of "luck" is actually your passive dodging skill. It increases the more you play, but it can still fluctuate rather wildly. Just learn how to deal with it when it's low. If you keep making mistakes you know you could have avoided, do something you're more confident about. If you're just falling apart, dying when you absolutely should not, maybe call it a day. For all you know, you may do better than usual after a good night's sleep. No need to push yourself when your mind is not in the state to play properly. Take it easy! :yukkuri:

« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2013, 09:01:38 PM »
Thanks to Touhou I am now built like Hercules.
Lewd.

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2013, 09:21:37 PM »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #144 on: November 08, 2013, 09:42:46 PM »
I seem to be revisiting DDC a lot lately. And by "a lot" I mean within the context of about four hours of free time per day. I am enjoying the shit out of stage practice, and going after challenges regarding score, shot type, the best times to bomb for a 2.1 bonus. This is unusual for my usual playing pattern with Touhou. Since I started shortly after MoF came out, the MO has more or less been:

1. Play the hell out of the trial game.
2. Play the hell out of the full release for about a month.
3. Only go back to it a few hours per month, intermingled with others in the series.

As you can probably guess, getting better hasn't really been a priority so much as just playing the games when I want to play them. But things are different now, I think for two reasons. I do really enjoy DDC's systems and shot types, of course, but I think watching score runs on this board when the trial version came out, and taking part in that a little bit, I got introduced to the fun of developing how I play.

That, and I think Dwarf Castle of Shining Needles is an amazing song.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2013, 11:16:01 AM »
After a short break from TD after playing an awful lot to try and get 800m Marisa Easy, I've come back! And it feels pretty great. For the time being I plan to start working on the higher difficulties rather than focusing on Easy/Normal scoring like I have in the past. The majority of my playtime has gone into that so far, I haven't fully explored scoring on Hard or Lunatic. Planning to start off with clearing a survival Lunatic Marisa run and going from there!

1. Play the hell out of the trial game.
2. Play the hell out of the full release for about a month.
3. Only go back to it a few hours per month, intermingled with others in the series.
This describes my game time too. The game is only new for so long!

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!
Feel free to message me if you need anything!

« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2013, 08:19:48 PM »
Found a new(?) trick.  It's pretty tough to get all the items though.  DDC.

Ok.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:17:21 PM by ♥♥♥東方Hugger♥♥♥ »

Oh

« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2013, 06:37:06 AM »
Ok, I guess time to complain about DDC. It's bad. Badly designed, game. The intensive memorization needed for a simple LNB is outrageous. It took me 3 hours to figure stage 4 out. Yep, one stage, survival only, not even getting the right bonuses, too. I still haven't figured out how to handle the stage portions of 3, 5, and 6 without massively dying like a retard. Seija is a big "duck you" to the face, especially that last card. It only took me an hour to learn a single card, great. Don't get me started on the stage 6 boss (whats her name again? I won't care to remember). Just the survival is pixel perfect memorization, it irritates me to fail it 9 out of 10 times. The opening bullet spam is pure dodging which I can't read due to my slow brain. Provided I was also using the most trivial shot - SakuyaA, which enrages me more. I should just stopped playing hours ago. I guess once you start digging there's no stopping until the hole is big enough for you to jump in it.

Drake

« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2013, 08:21:14 AM »
The intensive memorization needed for a simple LNB is outrageous.
wat
It took me 3 hours to figure stage 4 out. Yep, one stage, survival only, not even getting the right bonuses, too. I still haven't figured out how to handle the stage portions of 3, 5, and 6 without massively dying like a retard.
this sounds pretty normal
Seija is a big "duck you" to the face, especially that last card. It only took me an hour to learn a single card, great.
Really, the last card? While they're all dumb, the last card is the one where when it clicks it clicks.
Just the survival is pixel perfect memorization, it irritates me to fail it 9 out of 10 times.
it's dumb with marisa and sakuya but it's still consistently doable, keep trying
The opening bullet spam is pure dodging which I can't read due to my slow brain.
if you can't do memorization and you can't do dodging what do you want
Ok, I guess time to complain about DDC. It's bad. Badly designed, game.
"I can't LNB after a few hours, this game is bad"

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Oh

« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2013, 12:31:16 PM »
I dunno I'm just complain on two things basically:
1)Game is 2 hurd
2)I suck too much
All there is. I'm just blaming the game for my own faults. It's the blog whaddaya expect.