Author Topic: Touhou Rage Thread XVI: Last-Second Clipdeaths Edition  (Read 231400 times)

Cream Soda

• stage 2 boss
Re: Touhou Rage Thread XVI: Last-Second Clipdeaths Edition
« Reply #630 on: August 18, 2014, 01:54:24 PM »
I'm not exactly raging, but I'm playing TD Lunatic and the life system in is more unforgiving than I'm used to. Making a mistake in the wrong place can cost more than one life, it seems like, because without trancing the game only gives three extends and when you die, so does your trance gauge. When I did the Hard 1cc last year it wasn't much of an issue because I found the patterns easy-ish. Also Yoshika is a huge pain, in both of her appearances during the game. I can capture all spells in spell practice and I've memorized the stages so the 1cc is probably going to happen before too long. i hope

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #631 on: August 18, 2014, 03:06:51 PM »
I can't even remember the last time I raged this much.

Playing IaMP with Yuyuko, it's going well until Suika. The different timing during the second Spellcard throws me off completely and I get stomped on (literally). During the third Spellcard, my controller stops working, because I hate wireless hardware, that's why. I can't even pause the game because I'm playing on my laptop which has only two USB-slots. Since it's connected to my monitor, I keep the laptop shut and, having to plug in the controller, I unplugged the keyboard. Didn't think far enough to use the laptop's keyboard, but the controller started working again after some time. Then, during the last Spellcard, I notice that I don't know any attacks from below I can use with Yuyuko, so I wind up losing, having gone into the battle almost untouched.

I was desperately trying to vent my rage, but deep down I knew that I couldn't destroy the controller, lest I reduce its value. I eventually decided that stomping on my bed would be a preferable course of action, destroying some of its inner frame in the process. My sister telling me to "grow up" and that "it's just a game" didn't help matters either, but fortunately, I had already calmed down enough to politely explain that I may have lost my temper a little.

Truth be told, it was unsightly and I am ashamed of myself.

Edit: Now I feel like I can move on with my life, gave it another go and destroyed Suika. Good thing, last time, I didn't have enough resources to gather the courage to try jump-attacks, even though I had used them before.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:55:22 PM by Lepetit89 »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #632 on: August 19, 2014, 09:39:27 PM »
Can Reimu's Last Spell go die in a fire, please? It's literally the only thing holding me back from a perfect Stage 4A.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #633 on: August 20, 2014, 02:07:35 PM »
Omfg, Mystia's last non has probably been the cause of more than half of my restarts recently. Regardless of where I choose to slip through the green bullets, there's always that 1 blue ball that flies at me and I can never get out of its way. I'm pretty sure today alone I've restarted once to Venomous Moth's Dark Dance, once to Keine's 1st non, once to Ephemerality 137 and 5-6 times to Mystia's last non. That Ephemerality run got so lucky on that non anyway, my hitbox got covered about 3 times...

Justin

• Grand High Poobah
  • what is life
« Reply #634 on: August 20, 2014, 03:42:57 PM »
I honestly feel as though SA has no deathbomb time, even with Vpatch  :ohdear: (Playing as Marisa B on Hard)
Current Goals (BC I guess this is a thing):
1CC all 2hu on normal: All clear!
1CC all 2hu on hard: LLS, EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF
Clear all extras: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA
SA Hard Mode is kicking my butt ;-;

an unmatched sock

• Um...what's this?
  • Should I be concerned? I think I should be concern
« Reply #635 on: August 21, 2014, 06:28:52 PM »
Wow. For some reason MoF Hard Stage 1 is brutal to me. Especially in comparison to how comparatively easy IN Hard was.

I believe I am 3/15 for Minoriko's first card captures. Why does that card magically trip me up so much?! It's just Stage 1! I have the rest of the stage down to a science! Yet for some reason I just can't consistently get past her first card. Is there some sort of trick I'm just not seeing? Or am I just bad/having consistent bad days for touhou?

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #636 on: August 21, 2014, 07:38:17 PM »
^Haha, same here :3 Mof Stage 1 on Hard punched me hard in the past, and it's still among the most difficult Stage 1's for me (at least on Hard mode). I think her first card is about misdirecting the yellow balls while trying to find an opening.

Update: Kanako just utterly crushed me with her first few spellcards on my best run :V Time to look for a good 1cc replay I guess. Playing on Hard btw.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:17:31 PM by Szayelaporro Granz »
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #637 on: August 21, 2014, 08:37:18 PM »
Why does it seem like I'm dying more often on the stage portion before Kaguya than on Kaguya herself? Even after all this time, even after memorizing what Eirin's nonspell looks like, it still sucks to play. -.-

I believe I am 3/15 for Minoriko's first card captures. Why does that card magically trip me up so much?! It's just Stage 1! I have the rest of the stage down to a science! Yet for some reason I just can't consistently get past her first card. Is there some sort of trick I'm just not seeing? Or am I just bad/having consistent bad days for touhou?

The smaller bullets make up two alternating patterns. I forget if they're truly static or if they can be oriented differently, but you can learn how to spot the openings and then move to them as you avoid the aimed bullets. In fact, the card functions pretty much the same on Lunatic, so if you take the time to learn it here, you're all set!
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #638 on: August 24, 2014, 12:24:13 AM »
FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Mr Jovial

« Reply #639 on: August 24, 2014, 01:46:14 PM »
IN LNBs:
Run 1: Stage 4B: Dies to Marisa's 2nd non, "Fuck that, restarting."
Run 2: Stage 4B: 2 deaths to Double Spark. "Ffs *insert much colourful profanity."
Run 3: Technically LNN. No death, no bomb, but failed Kaguya's 4th last spell. I was quite honestly expecting it, I've been failing it a lot because I have basically no room for panic. Misread one of the blue lines and got hit. Personally, I'm still considering this 1MNB because failing last spells is still getting hit. Oh well. It's improvement and I'll take it.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #640 on: August 24, 2014, 07:50:43 PM »
Why am I dying on Phoenix Tail left and right now? This is not a hard attack. I feel like I'm just psyching myself out every time because I'm already thinking ahead to the eighth nonspell. -.-

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #641 on: August 25, 2014, 12:35:31 AM »
Run 3: Technically LNN.
:toot:

Personally, I'm still considering this 1MNB because failing last spells is still getting hit. Oh well. It's improvement and I'll take it.
Nicely done! You'll do it soon, I'm sure :)

As for why I posted here...
On my MOF NNB, some of the fairies that shoot the blue bubbles right before Momiji fired RIGHT before they exited the screen... they've never done that before, and I ended up dying because of it.
-Sigh-

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #642 on: August 25, 2014, 01:29:40 AM »
My no-death RSS run turned into a three-death run at the last boss :ohdear:

I thought about settling for it but then I took two hits on the last part of the last boss's spell...

The game gives you a lot of bombs, but so many of them go into what feel like luck-based attacks.

Well, at least that was a full stage further in than my previous no-death record.  If I just keep trying...

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #643 on: August 29, 2014, 11:03:48 AM »
[insert drunk-sailor-who-has-just-hammered-his-finger-instead-of-a-nail swearing here]

I - HATE - Q.E.D.

That's all there is to it. I've been trying to perfect EoSD Extra for 1 month and i still can't capture Q.E.D. When she reach low life it becomes nightmarish, too much crossfire.

And just a few minutes ago i died when there were at most 5 millimeters left of life  :colonveeplusalpha:

« Reply #644 on: August 30, 2014, 08:11:53 AM »
goddamnit so close to an easy eosd 1 cc, but apparently my finger keep on hitting the fucking x key to late because i lose three lives and don't have enough bombs to survive. also fuck the no hitbox in eosd. hitbox patch won't work on my game.
Touhou games 1cced(sadly on easy mode) MOF,DDC,IN,TD,POFV,UFO,EOSD,SA

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #645 on: August 31, 2014, 06:14:59 PM »
I will never get over the hitboxes in IN's fireballs being situated more towards the tail than they appear...

Justin

• Grand High Poobah
  • what is life
« Reply #646 on: August 31, 2014, 11:22:06 PM »
Does anyone else feel like SA Stage 1 hard is waaaay harder than Stage 1 should be? I don't know if it's the way I'm approaching it, but dear God it's awful.

Mr.Magic

« Reply #647 on: September 01, 2014, 12:34:01 AM »
I play UFO Ultra, I'm at Byakuren, and as the first spell cancels, MY KEYBOARD BREAKS AND I UNCONTROLLABLY SWERVE RIGHT into a bullet AND IT DOSEN'T STOP!!! It ruined my run! :(

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #648 on: September 01, 2014, 08:58:31 AM »
I play UFO Ultra, I'm at Byakuren, and as the first spell cancels, MY KEYBOARD BREAKS AND I UNCONTROLLABLY SWERVE RIGHT into a bullet AND IT DOSEN'T STOP!!! It ruined my run! :(

Ouch!  :ohdear:

I know the feeling all too well.... My own Z key get stuck every 10 seconds, giving me "autofire" (which isn't so bad  :V) but when is the SHIFT key that get stuck it's a real mess.... God i really need to buy a new computer....  :(

« Reply #649 on: September 02, 2014, 03:32:08 AM »
Does anyone else feel like SA Stage 1 hard is waaaay harder than Stage 1 should be? I don't know if it's the way I'm approaching it, but dear God it's awful.

I always thought ufo had the hardest, then again i'm terrible at UFO,

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #650 on: September 03, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »
I always thought ufo had the hardest, then again i'm terrible at UFO,

Most of SA is just (unpredictable) streaming and memorization.

UFO, meanwhile, is pure random.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Justin

• Grand High Poobah
  • what is life
« Reply #651 on: September 03, 2014, 09:33:36 PM »
Most of SA is just (unpredictable) streaming and memorization.

UFO, meanwhile, is pure random.
perhaps I should stop hanging around the PoC, then...

« Reply #652 on: September 04, 2014, 03:31:32 AM »
true true, maybe it's why i like sa and hate ufo, my reflexes are pretty bad.

Mr Jovial

« Reply #653 on: September 04, 2014, 03:44:45 PM »
Keep in mind that grazing bullets fills the gauge in the lower left corner and having that gauge full lets you autocollect items. Considering that lots of stages have streaming sections or other convenient grazes, you can use that instead of PoCing without too much risk.

« Reply #654 on: September 04, 2014, 08:22:10 PM »
Three Hard attempts in EoSD. The first ended by getting rammed from behind by Killing Doll because of shite spawning, the second from a bullet appearing from UNDER ANOTHER ONE in Scarlet Meister, and the third during Remilia's opener. I died twice to that.  :qq:
Normal 1cc's: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard 1cc's: EoSD, PCB, IN
Extra Clears: EoSD, PCB + Phantasm, IN, MoF, TD, DDC
Phantasmagoria Trues Clears: Standard Regular
Goals: Phantasmagoria Trues Unseen Standard 1cc, MoF XNM, MoF XNF

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #655 on: September 04, 2014, 08:47:17 PM »
Dear Hisoutensoku Aya AI: Eat a bag of dicks. No, seriously, Aya. I hate you. This is literally the only point where I fucking HATE you. You're difficult in MoF but still fun. I like the photography games.

But trying to beat the fuck out of Aya with Yuyuko, even when fighting against an AI (Luna), is like a turtle trying to out-maneuver a hare that's fully aware of what he's doing.
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

microfolk

• I'ts absolutely
« Reply #656 on: September 04, 2014, 09:14:22 PM »
"Ok I'm doing pretty poorly against Yukari despite having lost just one life during the stage but no reason to panic at least it will be good practice right?"
*dies twice during Mesh of Light and Darkness*
"OK WELL AT LEAST NOW WE'VE GOT AN EASY NON SPELL CARD RIGHT?"
*takes a bullet in the face*
"OK I'VE STILL GOT A LIFE AND XANADU OF STRAIGHT AND CURVE IT'S TEN TIMES EASIER THAN RAN'S VERSION I CAN DO THIS"
*get lasered down*

Who the fuck dies to the laser of fucking Xanadu of Straight and Curve? This loser here.

Mr Jovial

« Reply #657 on: September 05, 2014, 07:17:18 PM »
Of all the things to be dying a lot to, why oh why does "Shoot the Moon" have to be one of them :colonveeplusalpha:

EDIT: Dear Reisen, please stop giving me bad RNG during Tele-Mesmerism. You have other attacks that can actually kill me, why are you not using those to stop me getting to Kaguya? It's annoying getting hit on 5 consecutive attempts at the same attack.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 02:12:57 PM by Mr Jovial »

« Reply #658 on: September 07, 2014, 04:38:58 AM »
fuck you yuyuko, man stupid timeout spellcard. Seriosuly though, how do people think pcb is easy, sure the game gives you plenty of resources but the attack patterns are ridiculously hard to dodge for pretty much all the bosses stage 4 and up. Probably third hardest tohou i've played.

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #659 on: September 07, 2014, 06:39:17 AM »
fuck you yuyuko, man stupid timeout spellcard. Seriosuly though, how do people think pcb is easy, sure the game gives you plenty of resources but the attack patterns are ridiculously hard to dodge for pretty much all the bosses stage 4 and up. Probably third hardest tohou i've played.
May I ask, are you playing on easy mode?
PCB has one of the hardest easy modes in the series for some strange reason.
It's got an average normal/hard mode however, and its lunatic mode is one of the easiest.
That would explain why people think PCB is 'easy' yet you think it's 'hard'. That being said, difficulty is relative.

---

Also, screw you High-Sensitivity Nazrin Pendulum. Why does UFO hard need to be so much harder then the other hard modes? :V
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 07:12:44 AM by Nolegs the Cat »