Author Topic: Touhou Rage Thread XVI: Last-Second Clipdeaths Edition  (Read 231451 times)

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
Re: Touhou Rage Thread XVI: Last-Second Clipdeaths Edition
« Reply #600 on: July 10, 2014, 11:25:14 AM »
It's not a shitpost, I am very much serious. She isn't "really hard" to use. As Jovial said: There is a difference between hardest and worst. What I think happened here is that you're labeling Chiyuri as the worst shot without even having tried them all, because as I said: Ellen is the worst shot to use by far. And if you're planning to use Marisa: Sure, she's solid, but her attacks aren't any more effective than Chiyuri's, which makes your point look even more ridiculous.
Yes, my clear stated that it was all luck. Did you ever hear of the word "Joke" ? Yes, to clear PoDD with a difficult shot requires some luck. You'll need luck with Chiyuri, Ellen and Mima to clear. You will need luck not because those shots are the worst, but because PoDD is a game where every enemy can completely shit on you and kill your run. That has nothing to do with One being really bad. Being shat on can also happen if you play Yumemi or Reimu who are undeniably the strongest shots in the game. Evidently, you don't know much about PoDD otherwise you wouldn't be trying to defend you point with this. Oh and:

Chiyuri works AGAINST you if you're trying to survive and score at the same time.

You don't "score and survive" at the same time. Scoring makes the game much much harder. Scoring in PoDD is basically saying you're more or less completely disregarding survival and if you're not ready to weather 2 minutes of shitstorm, you're not ready to score in PoDD. What you are doing is basically complaining about Chiyuri being the best scoring shot, which is ridiculous. Yes, maybe Chiyuri is too hard for you. She is, after all, the hardest 1cc in the entire series, but that doesn't make her the worst shot. It just makes her difficult to clear with. She's a straightforward shot and easy to use. If you can't get in your head that scoring is the opposite of surviving in this game and THEN complain about how it's impossible to survive if you spam level 2s, then I can't help you.

Understand the game before you complain because evidently you don't. In PoDD Level 2s are solely for scoring, so only use them if you want to ignore survival. Level 3s are useless, so never use them. If you use level 3s and go like "why do they not hit the enemy" then I feel sorry for you. Generally speaking, no spell attack are really capable of hitting the enemy on their own, regardless of who you play so again your point is uneducated nonsense.

« Reply #601 on: July 10, 2014, 12:24:27 PM »
After playing PoDD for a fair total of three hours, I can safely say that Chiyuri Lunatic is one of the most difficult clears in Touhou. She is pretty difficult to get into due to the fast speed and clunky controls of the emulator, but the damage and charge attack seem to be good (although very narrow), unlike many other characters in these games. That one girl who is very slow and whose charge does no damage (and whose name I don't remember) might be more difficult, but maybe she can/will kill the bosses earlier, I don't really know about that.

I think Chiyuri has the best butt, though.

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #602 on: July 10, 2014, 01:09:37 PM »
nuuuuu D: lasers actually DO DAMAGE and i can kill off lily quickly
Well, I'm pretty sure Reimu in both phatasmagorias is better at hitting the AI and if you want to kill Lily, you could just shotgun with Reimu's charge attack in most cases. But to be honest, I really prefer to play characters with charge attacks like Marisa's that just kill bosses without trouble.
After playing PoDD for a fair total of three hours, I can safely say that Chiyuri Lunatic is one of the most difficult clears in Touhou. She is pretty difficult to get into due to the fast speed and clunky controls of the emulator, but the damage and charge attack seem to be good (although very narrow).
Also worth noting Chiyuri can't bomb during a charge attack which can cause problems if you're trying to kill a boss and suddenly all the bullets. Same with Marisa (though not in PoFV).

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #603 on: July 16, 2014, 02:25:53 AM »
Multiple MOF hard attempts made it to VoWG and then game-overed.  :colonveeplusalpha:

« Reply #604 on: July 16, 2014, 03:48:08 AM »
I managed to get to Kanako's last spell card on MoF Normal. Couldn't get over losing 3 fucking lives doing that, and always from the light blue amulets too!! I looked grief-stricken and my 7yr old little brother came up to me after a few minutes and said "It's OK..." while patting my shoulder.

I also remember losing a life on a part in Stage 5 because the game lagged for a bit and my attempt to bomb didn't register ?_?

EDIT: Actually practiced with a vsync patch against Kanako with ReimuA. I can now comfortably capture her last two spell cards with MoF unfocused  :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:50:28 AM by S4ndw1chhh »

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
  • ♪ Present World Overhaul ♪
« Reply #605 on: July 19, 2014, 07:41:52 AM »
Multiple MOF hard attempts made it to VoWG and then game-overed.  :colonveeplusalpha:
I know that feel. T_T I've been trying for a while to 1cc Hard and my dreams get cut short.
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

« Reply #606 on: July 21, 2014, 06:04:55 AM »
PCB Lunatic, Sumizome Perfect Blossom. I've never captured this card on Lunatic before, but I know the general method. I was doing pretty well this time...until I got walled by pink bullets and died just as Yuyuko started to explode.

Yuyuko wasn't done humiliating me yet, though. I continued on to Resurrection Butterfly, which I've never even come close to capturing on Lunatic before. It took a few waves before I noticed that I was actually surviving for once; either something about the attack just clicked with me at that moment, or Yuyuko was being very nice--or both. It was right about when I realized "This is the last wave" that I got obliterated by red butterflies.

Mr Jovial

« Reply #607 on: July 29, 2014, 11:41:50 AM »
Another L1MNB IN 1cc. Died to "Life Spring Infinity" this time. Got bad RNG such that I had a circle of stars close to me, Kaguya had moved close to me and the lasers were still up. Time a movement perfectly such that I move across the lasers just after they stop being solid as the circle is about to hit me, get away from Kaguya then I try to position myself into a gap in the circle of stars since those gaps had opened up. I tried to do it unfocused for no good reason and went straight into the stars. To be honest, I'm surprised my first 2 1 miss runs have both been to attacks that I don't consider to be that difficult. Was expecting more trouble from "Rising World" or "Brilliant Dragon Bullet" or "Buddhist Diamond".

I'd also like to say that, while doing "Salamander Shield" I normally listen for the sound that indicates you're hitting the boss and she's below 15% health. Listening out for it is basically a check that I did the attack properly and don't need to reverse the stream. I could barely hear it over the sound of my heartbeats :V, just...what?

an unmatched sock

• Um...what's this?
  • Should I be concerned? I think I should be concern
« Reply #608 on: August 03, 2014, 04:38:53 AM »
Whyyyy.

Why do I have such difficulty with just getting past Chen on PCB Hard as SakuyaA.

I don't know if it's stupid mistakes, wrong strategy, or just any sort of RNG hate

but for some goshdarn reason it takes me a lot of effort to get past Chen without dying in a spectacularly idiotic fashion.

I'm tired of replaying Stage 1 only to derp hard on Stage 2. I know how the patterns are, I know how to dodge them, but for some reason I just keep failing. WHYYYYY.

I just want to 1cc and move on, dangit, and I need every life I can get for Merlin and beyond, and losing one to Chen is out of the question.

Also, Skype managed to kill me earlier when against Alice. For some reason it feels the need to display the "Person is online" box in triple the size and flickering in the bottom right of the game screen, but only in touhou. It suddenly popped up, I glance at it in a panic after just losing a life, and lost another one immediately due to this not-exactly-tiny distraction. Ugh.

Mr Jovial

« Reply #609 on: August 04, 2014, 11:52:46 AM »
Yesterday in my IN LNB I had a 2 miss stage 5. Died to the 3rd wave of Tewi's 1st because I entered it from a dumb position and died to "Invisible Full Moon" because I tried moving left into a gap that I was already in. Today I had the exact same 2 misses. After that I pretty much gave up. Died to "Invisible Full Moon" again because I didn't know that after you die you can sit at the bottom for 2 red eye effects and not 1. Then died to opening of Stage 6B because I wasn't at max power. I then ragequit. I very rarely ragequit, usually only after a string of quick deaths to dumb things but I feel like I've ragequit at least 5 times in the last 3 days which is odd considering before then I think I only ragequit 2 runs. I'm actually raging at how much I ragequit! What the hell is this.

EDIT: Nearly replicated my first 1MNB run, though not an exact replica. Had a 2MNB run, 1st death to Eirin's non in a completely different way to the first time then get a typical Rising World attempt: get hit by a bullet going so quickly I can't react properly when the timer shows 00. I still haven't NMNB'd stage 6B since my first ever LNB attempt. Oh well :V, guess I can't do Eirin's non very well while under pressure.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:48:15 PM by Mr Jovial »

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #610 on: August 05, 2014, 03:05:11 AM »
Stage 1, I'm tired of your shit. In almost any of the Touhou games, I'm better with Stage 2 than Stage 1. Then again, I have a vehement desire to restart whenever I die on stage 1, no matter what. I am consistent enough to call myself decent everywhere else in the game, but my recurring crashdeaths are disheartening and irritating.

On that note, I know this is the rage thread, but is there any way to stop getting upset at the games upon an impending loss beyond "git gud"?

Also yes I know that I'm supposed to be working on the Dodging Like a Boss compilation, hush. I have other obligations and I wanted a break >///<
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #611 on: August 05, 2014, 08:14:00 AM »
On that note, I know this is the rage thread, but is there any way to stop getting upset at the games upon an impending loss beyond "git gud"?

Stop caring about the end result. Funny enough, it works wonders even if you're doing high-level stuff.

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
« Reply #612 on: August 05, 2014, 09:09:12 AM »
He's right. The less you CARE about achieving anything in Touhou, the better you inevitable do. The reason I got most of my EX boss clears (with the exception of Flandre, who I had to try VERY HARD for), I hardly put in much effort and just BS'd most of the time and then tried where I felt I would need to put in more effort.

The only EX bosses giving me so much trouble now are Raiko, who I am close to beating, Nue, who I just cannot touch because her stage is hard, and Koishi, who I've hardly even tried. I haven't done anything with Extras in the PC-98 era yet.

I've been working on using Marisa in various games. I cannot Marisa in most games. FFFFFFFFFFFFuck that. (╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ I'm not very good with her narrower range, although I've seen potential in clearing DDC, but it's been cut short every attempt around Seija (I've made it to Sukuna a few times, but this is rare). I guess it doesn't help my first 1cc was being spoiled by SakuyaA being able to double save with every bomb.
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #613 on: August 05, 2014, 02:58:54 PM »
I disagree. I believe that if you don't care about what happens, you can't press for a good run like you would if you cared about it. Surely, not caring makes you less angry or frustrated, but I also believe that things take much longer to finish then (if at all). You'd end up playing with a goal in mind that you don't end up pursuing one way or another, which sounds like a weird way to play STGs to me (if you like to play that way, go ahead. I'm not going to stop you). Of course it can be devastating to lose an otherwise good run to the last boss of the game, or have a mistake in stage 3 that's just really gross and puts a damper on your score or your miss-count for LNB or you died with tons of bombs in stock, idk what you guys do. But in reverse I think the exhilaration you have when you've actually done what you wanted to do is bigger if you cared about the run and the ones previous to it that burned somewhere along the line, because your emotional investment into each of those credits was much bigger than for someone who doesn't give a shit what happens.

I think the solution to Esu's problem is not git gud. People much better than you or me reset just as much for different reason. I think it's something that you're either born with (aka huge patience) or something you simply get used to over time, because you expect several resets before reaching stage 2. A lot of people know the frustration of resetting stage 1 a lot. At least I know a lot of streamers that reset a lot due to things going wrong (which is fine for what they do).

« Reply #614 on: August 05, 2014, 06:08:01 PM »
Spent 3 hours on SA Normal Stage 6, then went for 1cc, and did well, until I clipped a bullet during Okuu's explosion on her last card... WHYYY ;;

Normal 1ccs - EOSD, PCB, SA
Extra 1ccs - PCB

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
« Reply #615 on: August 05, 2014, 10:01:21 PM »
@Syaro: I think it also depends on the kind of person you are. If you are the type with a very calm, patient mind then it's better to just reset a lot, but if you are like me and you get frustrated by having to constantly reset, it's better to just continue if you die after a certain point (I typically cap off where I allow a reset at the Stage 2 boss, if I die from then on I just push ahead), since the frustration DOES affect some people to the point of screwing with their skill and ability to dodge patterns. I think it varies based on that more, it's not really a concrete "do this, because that's the best idea". The decision of how to go about that really should just tie to who you are as a gamer and what works better for you.

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
« Reply #616 on: August 08, 2014, 12:25:51 AM »
>suwapyon2012 hd
>type b on tenshi
>facing rhapsody on last life, no bombs, relying on shields
>hit by bubble bullet on last phase
>heartbroken 4evr
>posts here
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Mr Jovial

« Reply #617 on: August 08, 2014, 10:44:24 AM »
I can't capture Rising World anymore. I've captured it once in my last 10 runs and my probability of capping it should be ~0.4. RNG pls, be reasonable for once ;-;

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #618 on: August 08, 2014, 12:07:27 PM »
I need to get better at no focus Youmu in TD... ramming bosses all day trying to shotgun!

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!
Feel free to message me if you need anything!

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #619 on: August 08, 2014, 06:33:48 PM »
Dear PoDD:

Please stop throwing shitstorms at me

Sincerely,
Every Chiyuri/Kotohime user ever.

Enjoy.

Mr Jovial

« Reply #620 on: August 09, 2014, 02:20:57 PM »
*enter Kaguya on an NMNB run*
Me: "Ooooo cmon, I can LNN this run :D"
*Hourai Jewel ends with me on 8 miss*

Seriously. Got trapped by both of Kaguya's first 2 nonspells, stupid death to Life Spring Infinity then 5 miss Hourai Jewel. First miss basically threw my streaming off and I couldn't continue it. After that, I ragequit and have been unable to make it NMNB to stage 4B in about 10 attempts. Don't think I've had a worse Kaguya than that since I probably would've failed Rising World and maybe another last spell; my worst Stage 6B has been 8 miss and I'm pretty sure 2 were before Kaguya.

EDIT: I've now been driven to tears by how shit I'm playing and my hand hurts because I keep hitting stuff out of rage. I'm now sat here, broken by Imperishable Night. Seriously, fuck this game right now.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:54:01 PM by Mr Jovial »

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #621 on: August 09, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »
I feel your pain bro. Such is the pain of trying a condition which allows no mistakes. I think you're pretty good at Kaguya, from what I seen. If anything, the fact that you NMNB'd her after that Eirin nonspell death proves that you're good enough to do this. I feel that you just got nervous and that's what caused your mistakes.

I can do Yuyuko fine when I've failed the spam in stage 6, yet when I capture it, I start to completely mess up on Yuyuko. Nerves are a powerful influence.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #622 on: August 10, 2014, 06:01:19 PM »
*enter Kaguya on an NMNB run*
Me: "Ooooo cmon, I can LNN this run :D"
*Hourai Jewel ends with me on 8 miss*

Seriously. Got trapped by both of Kaguya's first 2 nonspells, stupid death to Life Spring Infinity then 5 miss Hourai Jewel. First miss basically threw my streaming off and I couldn't continue it. After that, I ragequit and have been unable to make it NMNB to stage 4B in about 10 attempts. Don't think I've had a worse Kaguya than that since I probably would've failed Rising World and maybe another last spell; my worst Stage 6B has been 8 miss and I'm pretty sure 2 were before Kaguya.

EDIT: I've now been driven to tears by how shit I'm playing and my hand hurts because I keep hitting stuff out of rage. I'm now sat here, broken by Imperishable Night. Seriously, fuck this game right now.

がんばってください! ,?A?,

But no seriously, keep trying. After a few runs with Kaguya, you might be consistent enough to be confident with trying again. Practice mode is your friend.

Enjoy.

Mr Jovial

« Reply #623 on: August 13, 2014, 02:54:15 PM »
Almost had a very good run. Ended 2 miss because dumb death to "Shoot the Moon" and then panic-unfocus right into a bullet on Rising World. Rising World has been giving me utter trash RNG recently. My practice logs say it should take 12.88 attempts (let's say 13) for 5 captures of Rising World. Last 2 practices have both been 18. Today I had to pass through tiny gaps for 2 of those captures. Not to mention in my last 16 runs I've capped Rising World 3 times...Then again I guess this is because in most of the LNB runs where I improved, I managed to do Rising World so this is just the equalizer or something like that.

It's basically the reason I haven't NMNB'd Stage 6B since the first LNB run I ever did. I've had 3 NMNB Kaguyas and 2 were full stage perfects. I'm at 78 LNB runs and I've managed an NMNB 6B in a 1cc once. I used to be able to do Rising World quite consistently by going to the RHS of the screen but I can't seem to do that anymore though I feel like based on how many runs I did that on it's unlikely that it was just a streak of RNG. Might go back to that strategy since looking at some LNN replays, Clio did the entire thing in lower right corner and it seems like Miduki moves to lower left for the final phase. Surprised I hadn't noticed that earlier...Guess it's because I don't have Clio's replay downloaded and I assumed Miduki got forced over there.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #624 on: August 13, 2014, 03:53:36 PM »
[attach=1]

HEY. YUUKA. FUCK YOU. NO SERIOUSLY.

I mean it's much easier to blame the boss than it is myself for these sorts of things. I mean I was kinda spamming bombs for score in Stage 3 BUT DISREGARD THAT YUUKA IS STILL THE ONE AT FAULT HERE NOT ME*

*Please note that I understand that it is my fault but it feels cathartic to bitch as if it's NOT my fault

Enjoy.

« Reply #625 on: August 13, 2014, 10:24:08 PM »
Clio did the entire thing in lower right corner and it seems like Miduki moves to lower left for the final phase.
The bullets have more distance to the corners than the middle of the screen, so it makes sense to dodge it in the corner.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #626 on: August 14, 2014, 12:08:06 AM »
EoSD, if you could please NOT make me end three Normal runs in a row with two lives three bombs (or less in case a jinx kicks in), that'd be WONDERFUL.

Enjoy.

Mr Jovial

« Reply #627 on: August 14, 2014, 09:34:40 AM »
The bullets have more distance to the corners than the middle of the screen, so it makes sense to dodge it in the corner.
To me, dodging in the corner gives bigger gaps but dodging in the centre means the bullets move more vertically than diagonally and are thus easier to read. Staying in a corner also makes it easier to get trapped. I didn't really see much difference in terms of actual difficulty between the two so I ended up improvising and going wherever the attack forced me to go. It's taken me this long to realise that other people go off centre since I originally thought it was just RNG forcing them to move off centre. I'm not sure which I'm more annoyed by: Rising World or my own obliviousness...I think the latter :colonveeplusalpha:

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #628 on: August 18, 2014, 10:23:18 AM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am bashing head with EoSD Extra with 2 objectives: capture at least once every spellcard and finally achieve a NMNB run with ReimuB (the shot-type i'm more comfortable with).

Everything goes smoothly, captured Maze of Love (while i already captured it 4 times it's still really hard for me) and then i reach Counter Clock.... i HATE this spellcard! The phase where the red bullets pick up speed ALWAYS get me! It's one of the 2 Extra spellcards i still haven't captured  >.<

Died once to Counter Clock, captured ATWTBN and i finally reach the second Extra spellcard i miss: Q.E.D.....
AND I ***** DIE 2 SECONDS BEFORE CAPTURING IT!  :colonveeplusalpha:

Consolation prize: 2MNB is still my best run yet and i improved my best score.

Anyone can help me with Counter Clock? It really tick me off.... (lol, the lame pun wasn't intentional)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #629 on: August 18, 2014, 11:11:31 AM »
The red bullets in Counter Clock are all aimed iirc. Try not to make any wild movements when dodging them - go back and forth in small streams.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.