Author Topic: Touhou Rage Thread XVI: Last-Second Clipdeaths Edition  (Read 231439 times)

Re: Touhou Rage Thread XVI: Last-Second Clipdeaths Edition
« Reply #510 on: April 21, 2014, 11:15:33 PM »
Fuck DDC.

That is all.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

LepLep

• BIG
  • cat
« Reply #511 on: April 22, 2014, 05:17:10 AM »
I am an idiot....

I was a bit too nervous which made me hold my gamepad extra tight causing me to unintentionally move diagonally into the bullet.

« Reply #512 on: April 25, 2014, 11:49:01 PM »
I was playing SA on hard and it went surprisingly well, one death at stage 4 and one at Satori. Then stage 5 happened... I lost 3 lives before midboss and I just lost my focus completely after that. I got a game over at Rin's last spellcard.
Extra stages cleared : EoSD, PCB, PCB Phantasm, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #513 on: April 26, 2014, 04:45:47 PM »
Tried a PCB Easy NB run. Quite good first five stages, not bad Yuyuko's battle, a few spare lives before the final. End result?

...Game over. :negative:

I didn't get unlucky or anything, I'm just that bad with this spellcard. I'd lose even without that laser derpdeath. Looks like I'm not getting those NBs any time soon.

« Reply #514 on: April 27, 2014, 11:29:37 PM »
525M potential. Lost 20M on the stage.  :(

« Reply #515 on: April 28, 2014, 01:14:01 AM »

kitslol

« Reply #516 on: May 03, 2014, 03:57:11 AM »
Enter Shou with 6 extra lives on LNB attempt
Die to literally every attack

ebin suberblay :-DDDDDD

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #517 on: May 03, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »
Omfg. IN LNB, managed to make it to Buddhist Diamond with 0 misses. Died to Buddhist Diamond, failed Half Past 12 quite early and failed Rising World with 01 on the timer, making a 3 miss run with (technically) no improvement. Still, 5 stage perfects out of 6 is something I'm proud of.

« Reply #518 on: May 04, 2014, 10:06:31 AM »
8th Drum "Thunder Gods Anger"

Dodge lighting curve, keeping my eye out for the bullshit EXACTLY WHERE YOU ARE curve.
See it.
Dodge it.
GET HIT BY A FOLLOWUP BULLSHIT EXACTLY WHERE YOU ARE curve.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #519 on: May 04, 2014, 10:33:11 PM »
Omfg. IN LNB, managed to make it to Buddhist Diamond with 0 misses. Died to Buddhist Diamond, failed Half Past 12 quite early and failed Rising World with 01 on the timer, making a 3 miss run with (technically) no improvement. Still, 5 stage perfects out of 6 is something I'm proud of.

Wow! I'd say that's more of an improvement. It's a 1-miss in my eyes.

With, of course, a few failed last spells. Still, it's definitely something to be proud of.

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #520 on: May 06, 2014, 06:07:19 AM »
Attempted a spontaneous GFW Extra nobomb which went well enough to be doable until Marisa spawned a star inside my hitbox on Blazing Star. I'm talking about those little yellow ones that she spawns alongside the patterned red ones at 50 seconds. It spawned inside me and made me very unhappy. That was the life I needed for the last spell. D:

(But I've finally managed to capture Open Universe so that's something.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:13:14 AM by Yookie »

« Reply #521 on: May 06, 2014, 09:52:53 PM »
*playing IN on Normal*
*gets to miniboss!Marisa with 2 lives, 4 bombs*
*game overs on Non Directional Laser*

Her stupid spinning star bullets can go jump in a lake.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #522 on: May 07, 2014, 11:49:05 PM »
Right now I'm pretty convinced that PCB Sakuya has a built-in mechanism that prevents the bomb from going off if you're pixels away from an incoming bullet. No other explaination for her failing to deathbomb in situations where I physically hit the button before the bullet touches her hitbox comes to mind.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #523 on: May 08, 2014, 11:26:39 AM »
Right now I'm pretty convinced that PCB Sakuya has a built-in mechanism that prevents the bomb from going off if you're pixels away from an incoming bullet. No other explaination for her failing to deathbomb in situations where I physically hit the button before the bullet touches her hitbox comes to mind.

Vsync?

Mr Jovial

« Reply #524 on: May 08, 2014, 05:58:48 PM »
Mystia's "Venomous Moth Dance" is and always will be my least favourite attack in IN. I'd rather have to deal with Reisen's last spell or "Brilliant Dragon Bullet" twice three times in a run instead.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #525 on: May 08, 2014, 06:51:49 PM »
Mystia's "Venomous Moth Dance" is and always will be my least favourite attack in IN. I'd rather have to deal with Reisen's last spell or "Brilliant Dragon Bullet" twice three times in a run instead.

I think I know a useful tip for that one. The familiars appear in "two from the left, two from the right" pattern. I think the pattern is much more doable if you try to stay on the side where familiars appear (meaning start on the left, go right after two familiars appear, go left after next two, repeat until win). For one, human characters can destroy familiars that way, but even without that there seems to be slightly less bullets to dodge. Could be just me, but my performance improved when I started to follow this pattern. Can you verify that?

Mr Jovial

« Reply #526 on: May 08, 2014, 07:07:13 PM »
Doing it like that feels like it's slightly more difficult. Reimu's shots are rather awkward for killing familiars to the point that you have to "follow" familiars to kill them and I can't seem to keep up with the familiars spawning to kill all of them. Staying on one side doesn't seem much different from generally doing the attack unfocused; the arrowheads feel too unpredictable for it to be reliable (or at least more reliable than doing it focused). Not to mention it takes much longer to end the attack. My srategy right now is what most of the other people who've got a perfect 1cc do: Kill the first 2 familiars then stream focused and rush through the attack. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'd tried doing it focused before but never thought about alternating sides for it.

On a completely different note, fighting Shikieiki with Cirno is brutal. Freezing bullets seems like such a hindrance.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:09:17 PM by Mr Jovial »

Zil

« Reply #527 on: May 08, 2014, 07:49:50 PM »
The same bullets, immediately before and after being frozen.

It seems that Eiki's level 2 actually spawns several bullets directly on top of each other. It would explain why when it's reflected it seems to send back like three times as many bullets as there actually appear to be. Pretty weird.

And yes, the pellets split up into 3 or 4 after they started moving as well.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:57:15 PM by Poddophile »

redlakitu

« Reply #528 on: May 09, 2014, 04:21:43 PM »
Damn it, I messed up yet another potentially-1-billion PCB Easy run in the exact same spot! I ended up with 960 million after failing Resurrection Butterfly in the most spectacular manner possible (dying, then panic bombing, then somehow not reaching max power and missing out on one full wave of items). And that's not counting finishing with 2 lives below maximum, failing Concerto Grosso and Ghost Butterfly, and accidentally finishing Repository of Hirokawa prematurely (yeah, I managed to waste all three highest spell bonuses in the game; way to go). But never mind all that, simply surviving Resurrection Butterfly would have been enough!

Formless God

« Reply #529 on: May 12, 2014, 04:32:27 AM »
[attach=1]

the best part is I got this on my first try with a dualshock 3

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #530 on: May 12, 2014, 04:47:54 AM »
Watch it.
10-9.
It almost happened.

never mind I got the no-item on Remilia's second spell.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:00:19 AM by Fast Fanatic »

redlakitu

« Reply #531 on: May 12, 2014, 04:55:45 PM »
Based on my experiences with Perfect Cherry Blossom Easy mode scoring so far, I made a comprehensive and totally objective list of patterns which, on said mode, are just as difficult or actually more difficult than in Normal mode:

• Everything

But seriously, I think I'll be trying MarisaA Normal in the coming days after all. In Normal, things like Yuyuko's penultimate spell card, Prism Concerto, or Youmu's nonspells are no longer a threat. I'll need to spend most of the Stage 4-6 boss fights focused, but I do that on Easy as well, and it'll be worth it if I'm able to finish with max lives. Of course the real challenge will be relearning Stage 4, but I can do that. Hopefully.

Now watch me run back crying to Easy mode in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:59:13 PM by navpirx »

Mr Jovial

« Reply #532 on: May 13, 2014, 11:52:03 AM »
IN LNBs, got a 4 miss run, deaths to "Three Sacred Treasures - Country", Tewi's 1st, "Brilliant Dragon Bullet" and "Hourai Jewel". Of those, the first and last were stupid so there was potential for a 2 miss run. On top of that, I went into practice and did 5 captures of the spellcards and 3 "captures" of Tewi's 1st. Didn't fail any of them. I now feel awful because, technically, all 4 deaths stupid misses and this run could've been an NMNB run.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #533 on: May 16, 2014, 03:17:04 PM »
UFO Normal. Reached stage 6 with 4 spare lives. Game over on final phase of final spellcard. Could've been a 1cc if not for a stupid death earlier. AGAIN. Also had a particularly nasty surprise when I discovered that bombs are useless on Byakuren's penultimate spellcard (the one you don't encounter on Easy).

« Reply #534 on: May 18, 2014, 01:57:22 AM »
Why is Eiki literally impossible on Lunatic?
Seriously, I reached her with four spare lives three times in a row, and I still gameovered

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #535 on: May 21, 2014, 07:20:27 AM »
Speaking of PoFV, I really HATE getting hit and being brought down to my last sliver of health while launching a spell. I'd really like to know if it's intended that I do not get my four charges in such a situation, because it's infuriatingly frustrating to lose a match because of that.

Edit:
Why is Eiki literally impossible on Lunatic?
Seriously, I reached her with four spare lives three times in a row, and I still gameovered

She's tough, even in the third round or beyond. Just keep surviving and hope that the AI feels generous, not sure if there's anything you can do to strategically hit your opponent, outside of simply using spells that are more likely to hit than others. Though I do wonder if the AI is more likely to let its character get hit if you use spells in certain situations, such as Lily White being around. Then again, it would probably be insanely difficult to use planned attacks in other situations since you're busy enough keeping your eyes on your own screen.

On the bright side, at least you can enjoy the match to the fullest on Lunatic!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:17:29 PM by Lepetit89 »

« Reply #536 on: May 21, 2014, 05:52:31 PM »
Speaking of PoFV, I really HATE getting hit and being brought down to my last sliver of health while launching a spell. I'd really like to know if it's intended that I do not get my four charges in such a situation, because it's infuriatingly frustrating to lose a match because of that.
I'd like to know whether that's intended or just a glitch as well, because that happens to me annoyingly often whenever I decide to play PoFV, and not getting a full charge when I'm knocked down to my last hit point usually results in my quick demise. In fact, over a year ago, I uploaded a video of this happening to me three times in a row while I was using Reisen against Shikieiki on Lunatic: Link

« Reply #537 on: May 22, 2014, 02:57:51 AM »
Some testing I did (the first 20 seconds are pretty much all there is to see)
here's how it went:
-the first yinyang got me to level 2
-on the second I used the level 2 while being hit, which negated the charge back to level 2
-later I use another level 2 on my last hit, losing the full charge, as expected.

Apparently, when hit, you get the charge after the whole hit animation ends (when you can move again). However, if you use a spell during the animation, the charge you get from what the spell wave clears seems to overwrite the charge you get from being hit, which means you don't get full charge on your last hit. This also applies to charge from normal hits as well, but since losing those isn't nearly as crippling as losing the last hit's, it's pretty much unnoticeable.

From the looks of it, it is clearly a glitch. It seems better to hold your charge on your last hit, even if you end up using a level 3 spell, since that at least leaves you with 2 charges left and whatever you gain from using the spell.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:00:19 AM by GMeroK »

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

« Reply #538 on: May 22, 2014, 03:31:08 AM »
Yeah, your explanation makes sense. Darn it, though. It's a shame for such an annoying glitch to be present in the game, and it's doubtful we'll ever see a patch to correct this glitch because the game has been around for a long time now...

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #539 on: May 22, 2014, 08:46:24 AM »
Yeah, your explanation makes sense. Darn it, though. It's a shame for such an annoying glitch to be present in the game, and it's doubtful we'll ever see a patch to correct this glitch because the game has been around for a long time now...

That's ZUN, unfortunately. I'm not saying he's a bad programmer, but his tendency to abandon older games altogether even though there are highly annoying bugs (replay-issues in various games, a buggy scene in DS and getting credit for wrong routes in GFW being other examples) is one of the things I really dislike about him.

Thank you very much for the testing, though, might be able to at least limit the damage in a few situations, assuming I can assess the situation in time.