Author Topic: Touhou Rage Thread XVI: Last-Second Clipdeaths Edition  (Read 231432 times)

Re: Touhou Rage Thread XVI: Last-Second Clipdeaths Edition
« Reply #300 on: November 05, 2013, 01:19:37 AM »
Yes, that definitely looks like a run that could easily be turned into an LNB.

You have 3 miss on stage 3. With some practice you should be able to reduce that to 0-1 miss, then stage 4 has you really struggling with Momiji but Aya was done splendidly. With less dumb deaths a clear is certain. This your first try? Yeah, pretty much proves that there ain't too much to MoF LNB.

« Reply #301 on: November 05, 2013, 01:53:35 AM »
Yea like I said I don't see why doing mountain of faith without bombs can be that much harder. You get full power on bosses and they die FAST.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #302 on: November 05, 2013, 02:25:05 AM »
Because keeping that level of consistency for that long is the problem, at least for me.  It's not like I can't do it, on a good run I could do it with 4 or less deaths.  The problem is not derping and losing those lives in a stupid manner every time.  Like i said, I've carried 3 lives into Stage 5, and then lost all of them and the extend Sanae drops to stupid things, having 0 lives for Stage 6.

How well I do on the later stages is inversely proportional to how well I do on the early stages-no death 1-3=not even reach Aya somehow, and 4 deaths on stage 3 I got a 1 death Stage 4 (and then threw the run on Stage 5).

It's something I should be able to do, even on most sessions, but I haven't even been able to do it once.  It's just a matter of time, but losing even one attempt to exceptionally bad luck everywhere really annoyed me.  That's all.

Oh also yet another promising run thrown on Stage 5 with 4 deaths, and then I go and perfect the stage in stage practice.  Twice in a row.  And I did it before the attempt as well, knowing I usually fail there for stupid reasons.  Maybe I should switch to MarisaC strats for faster boss kills...but at the same time I want to do what I set out to do back when I perfected Stages 3-5 in a row, LNB with ReimuB.  Just sucks that I can't hold together a run long enough to even get a real shot at Stage 6...

edit: that replay looks similar to most of my attempts, but with less fail on stage portions and more derpy boss deaths with the same result-facing down Stage 6 with 0 lives, regardless of how the start goes.  0-0-4-1-3, 0-0-0-6-?, 0-0-2-5-1, doesn't matter, the numbers never add up in runs yet in practice, they do.

« Reply #303 on: November 05, 2013, 03:44:11 AM »
Whining about every credit is not going to help. Just suck it up and grind through it.
If you can "perfect" (I assume this is a no death? in a LNB) stages 3 to 5 than you should be able to clear it with credit spamming.
Who cares if you restart for an hour in stage 1-2? Get a good run entering stage 4, and if you fail just do it again.

Or you can resort to capturing every spell like 50 times like some people I know :V

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #304 on: November 05, 2013, 03:46:38 AM »
Whining about every credit is not going to help. Just suck it up and grind through it.
It's -not- every credit, though.  Or anywhere near.  Just the good runs I keep throwing away to stupidity.

« Reply #305 on: November 05, 2013, 04:05:18 AM »
Is a "good" run any run that gets past stage 3? Sure seems so.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #306 on: November 05, 2013, 04:17:42 AM »
Good run is any run that has a solid amount of lives entering Stage 5 (usually at least 3, I can get by with none technically but 3 is what I'd want to be comfortable).  Like I said, the RNG run was an outlier, but an exceptionally annoying outlier.  A run that gets to Stage 5 with lives and loses them all (because it should be fairly consistent since it's static outside of Moses Miracle, though a derp happens about a third of the time) is a good run I threw away.

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #307 on: November 05, 2013, 05:41:12 AM »
What concerns me the most is your deaths in stage 5. I think that it would be wise to practice the stage more, because it should be able to be NMNB'd (1MNB'd) consistently with enough practice.

Although I'm sure you have practiced it already, it wouldn't hurt to go back into stage practice if stage 5 really is that much of an issue.

chum

« Reply #308 on: November 05, 2013, 12:24:47 PM »
Sad to see Zengeku perma-IP-banned. This section is dying and I don't give a crap about the other sections. Farm migration is in order, join us on the farm  :D

« Reply #309 on: November 05, 2013, 01:58:57 PM »
Why did he get banned anyway ?
His latest posts didn't seem offensive or misplaced.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #310 on: November 05, 2013, 02:41:22 PM »
I've been playing a lot of StB lately.

I hate it when I die when I have one photo left.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Blue

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • aaaaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #311 on: November 08, 2013, 05:24:44 AM »
So I tried going back and doing a SakuyaB DCC Normal clear. Barely having played Touhou(or video games at all) for the past two months. It went fine for the first four stages, and then I completely fell apart on stage 5. I died twice on the first part with the purple bullet and blue shard spam fairies, then once on Seija's midboss spell, and then twice on Seija's first out of nervousness because of the previous deaths. I ended up quitting because I knew I wouldn't make it through Sukuna unless I suddenly got ten times better without playing.

...I know I deathbombed those first two deaths. DDC's input delay seems to be a bit longer than the other games, but it's probably just me.

Burning Love

• Flan is not a pudding! (I think)
    • Burning Love' Blog
« Reply #312 on: November 08, 2013, 06:55:43 AM »
ORIIIIIIIN!!!

After 4 failed attempts at 1CC'ing SA, I've come to a point where I think I need to bomb everything just to finish it.

EVERYTHING.

even Parsee takes out my precious 2 lives just because I decided not to bomb her attacks.  :colonveeplusalpha:
Still waiting for a good sig. image

« Reply #313 on: November 08, 2013, 11:32:08 AM »
I don't know about higher levels, but most if not all of Parsee's spells are streamable on Normal.
The ultimate joke would be making Wriggle an EX Boss, but there being a game-breaking bug in her final spellcard that made it impossible to catch.

Think about it for a second...

Burning Love

• Flan is not a pudding! (I think)
    • Burning Love' Blog
« Reply #314 on: November 08, 2013, 04:05:37 PM »
I don't know about higher levels, but most if not all of Parsee's spells are streamable on Normal.

Yeah. That's why I'm raging hard. Losing life unnecessarily to *citation needed* the easiest 2nd stage boss is unforgivable.
And I've finally managed to 1CC the game just now. What a pain.
Still waiting for a good sig. image

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #315 on: November 08, 2013, 11:02:49 PM »
Alright. I'm calm now~
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:09:11 PM by Minogame »

Zil

« Reply #316 on: November 09, 2013, 02:26:24 AM »
Anex won't work. Deleting it. I'll play PoDD again when I get a new computer.

Byronyello

• "The Western Non-Otaku That Respects and Likes Touhou"
  • I guess that'd be my title in a Touhou game...
« Reply #317 on: November 09, 2013, 10:14:59 PM »
Why did he get banned anyway ?
His latest posts didn't seem offensive or misplaced.

Indeed... it's all very... curious. I feel like I've lost out, as I've just returned from one of my standard 1 month hiatus.
I'd do a dramatic investigation, but it seems that everything is all hush-hush for a reason, and I like living. (Are the mods the kind of people to hire assassins? :P)

(Strike-through indicates a clear)
Hard Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC.
Lunatic Clears: Someday, perhaps.
Extra Clears: EoSD, PCB, PCB Phantasm, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC.

Byronyello

• "The Western Non-Otaku That Respects and Likes Touhou"
  • I guess that'd be my title in a Touhou game...
« Reply #319 on: November 09, 2013, 11:38:07 PM »
This is why

As I expected. Chilling stuff. It's weird for me, I imagine because I could see the stature of Zengeku - it was, despite his frequent defiance, someone I'd never expect to go. It was one of the situations I never thought I'd see, to one of the people I never thought I'd see go. Equal parts a loss, equal parts justified.
(Strike-through indicates a clear)
Hard Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC.
Lunatic Clears: Someday, perhaps.
Extra Clears: EoSD, PCB, PCB Phantasm, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC.

« Reply #320 on: November 11, 2013, 01:37:13 AM »
Hmm, let's see:
- play SA for... fun, I guess *chooses ReimuC because lolbombs*
- game over to utsuho's last card
- leave at that for a while
- try again *chooses MarisaB*
- game over to Philosopher's Stone
- "w/e, shit happens"
- "okay, now I'll play seriously" *chooses ReimuA*
- game over on stage 2...
- ;_;

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

Sahgren

« Reply #321 on: November 11, 2013, 05:50:02 AM »
Just game overed twice in a row at Aya in MoF on Hard. I'm used to making to Kanako's last couple spellcards now, so I'm none too happy with repeatedly messing up on stages one through four.

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #322 on: November 14, 2013, 09:56:10 PM »

The usual troubles with Kagerou. I still think it's silly that stage 3 bosses are allowed to be this hard. Zun, please don't do this for Touhou 15.

"Why don't you suck it up and dodge it?"

"I can't. I'm not skilled enough to. At least not yet."

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #323 on: November 18, 2013, 11:04:37 PM »
UGGGHHHH lost a ReimuB LNB on DDC to Seija's final by dying TWICE to her last spell.

The ONLY reason that spell is a pain is because it lasts forever with ReimuB because you can't stay under her. It didn't help that I had 3 power.

The run itself went terrible and I entered stage 4 with 1 life after losing most of my extra lives to Kagerou. (Of course Kagerou will always screw up a run I have no matter what).

Then I somehow get a 1-miss stage 4 run. (Died to Yatsuhashi's second spell, and then proceeded to CAPTURE her last spell with 3 power. Saved the replay just for that)

Then I got to stage 5 with 3 lives. Died to the midboss spell. Then died to Seija's first and second spells, and then twice to her last spell into a gameover. :/

Doing badly on Kagerou forces me to work extra hard in the rest of the game in order to even stand a chance. And it's not like I haven't practiced stage 3. I have over 100 tries on stage practice alone. I have 99+ tries on all of her spells. Not to mention the numerous amounts of SpoilerAL sessions I've had with Kagerou. I've practiced her, yet I'm never going to get consistent. I'm used to Kagerou fails at this point. What makes me more mad is Seija. Seija I have absolutely no consistancy with. I either do really good, or really bad. Sometimes I can NMNB her without a sweat (even with ReimuB). Other times I get destroyed.

I've only made it to Shinmyoumaru once in an LNB attempt with ReimuB. I had 3 lives, and I screwed up all her easy attacks. Didn't even make it halfway into the fight. Sad.

I don't care if I'm torturing myself by doing this. But I WILL get this LNB. I'll do it eventually. I'm not going to hate DDC just because I'm not able to play it well. To me, as a general player who wishes to excel in all games, DDC must be conquered. And I am going to conquer it!

I really want to like DDC just as I do the other games.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:11:09 PM by Minogame »

Monkeypro257

« Reply #324 on: November 19, 2013, 01:40:50 AM »
Was playing Mystic Square on Lunatic with Mima. I made it to Shinki's last phase of danmaku, until my grazing reflexes fail, and I suddenly got hit with those small bullets. >.> (Even if I already passed Lunatic it just made me rage quit)

« Reply #325 on: November 21, 2013, 03:50:21 AM »
For some reason, Ten Desires is being harder for me to Normal 1cc than UFO. By the time I reach Stage 5 I'm usually down to 2 lives from bullshit clipdeaths. Usually during stages.
I had assumed TD's hate was exaggerated, but... it seems like it's as bad as everyone says. Maybe I just don't understand how to use Trance right? Whatever the case, I sure am running out of desires to play it.

« Reply #326 on: November 21, 2013, 04:15:32 AM »
For some reason, Ten Desires is being harder for me to Normal 1cc than UFO. By the time I reach Stage 5 I'm usually down to 2 lives from bullshit clipdeaths. Usually during stages.
I had assumed TD's hate was exaggerated, but... it seems like it's as bad as everyone says. Maybe I just don't understand how to use Trance right? Whatever the case, I sure am running out of desires to play it.
Interesting. Maybe it's because you've spend less time practicing TD? Anyways I'm not sure if you know this, but trancing doubles the value of purple and green spirits. So it might be a good idea to save the trances for when there are several purple/green spirits on the screen in order to get more life and bomb pieces.

« Reply #327 on: November 21, 2013, 07:53:47 AM »
Interesting. Maybe it's because you've spend less time practicing TD?

Looking at spell card records, it's about the same for each game - at least looking at later stages. TD has a lot more attempts on earlier stages, though, since I restart whenever I die on Stage 1 or 2. Maybe that's the problem..?
Anyways I'm not sure if you know this, but trancing doubles the value of purple and green spirits. So it might be a good idea to save the trances for when there are several purple/green spirits on the screen in order to get more life and bomb pieces.
That's basically the only time I'm using it. Even with Sanae, though, I'm only able to fill about 2 gauges per stage, which is about how many chances you get for purple/green spirits. But it seems like getting spirits requires shotgunning everything, which leads to a bunch of deaths which ruins my chances of getting any resources...
Here's a replay: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=31172
I've gotten further than this a couple of times, but I didn't save those. Anything I'm doing terribly wrong?  :ohdear:

Emerald Mint

• Gemstone
« Reply #328 on: November 21, 2013, 05:49:14 PM »
A good thing to do is practice deathbombing or deathtrancing, since it'll save you from the frustration of dying with bombs in stock. I had to practice a lot to even stand a chance of finishing with enough lives when I first played. Even now I fail to deathbomb properly on the random occasion.
Sanae's unfocused shot can deal more damage to the boss than her focused shot at close range, which also increases spirit gain. If you need to, it's always useful to bomb/trance on top of the boss to maximise your spirit gain.
Also, have a go at stage/spell practice, which pays off very well.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #329 on: November 21, 2013, 06:11:20 PM »
TD has a lot more attempts on earlier stages, though, since I restart whenever I die on Stage 1 or 2. Maybe that's the problem..?

Since "Do not restart" is an advice that even masters give, I'd say yes. Seriously, perfecting first two stages won't teach you a thing about later ones, and saving one life early on won't save the run if you're too likely to lose it at the end anyway. Restarting should only be done when working on high-level stuff, like no-miss or scoring runs, when you HAVE TO meet certain expectations, early levels included.

But it seems like getting spirits requires shotgunning everything, which leads to a bunch of deaths which ruins my chances of getting any resources...

There are actually two ways of getting more spirits. Shotgunning only works for bosses and fairies with a lot of HP. For popcorn (fairies that die wth one/few shots), you get more spirits if you kill them as soon as they appear. So, for example, if you took your time with one wave, and another comes out, switch to the new one, you'll get more spirts than if you finished off old one and then switched to the new one, which would become too old to give spirits by that time.

But I don't think absolutely optimal trance usage is important for overall survival, so you should look somewhere else.

Here's a replay: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=31172
I've gotten further than this a couple of times, but I didn't save those. Anything I'm doing terribly wrong?  :ohdear:

Not bombing enough. Seriously, each life lost with unused bombs is two enemy patterns you could have pretty much skipped. Having ANY doubts about an attack? Bomb. No, don't take a risk. Bomb. You have Stage and Spell Practice to try risky strategies.

Speaking of which, make use of them. You've done quite well in earlier stages, so it looks like you're just not used to later ones (I blame that restart syndrome). Put some time to grind stages and bosses until you're comfortable with them. If something still gives you trouble, remember to just bomb there. Don't worry too much, you seem to be quite able, I think you can do it eventually.