Author Topic: Touhou Rage Thread XVI: Last-Second Clipdeaths Edition  (Read 231449 times)

chum

Re: Touhou Rage Thread XVI: Last-Second Clipdeaths Edition
« Reply #270 on: October 24, 2013, 07:18:38 PM »

*suicide for graze purpose, then press X too late and die a second time*
*fail the positioning at eternal meek*

Oh hey. My two best runs did both of those things, except not in the same run. Quite disheartening!

You're doing good, by the way. Hang in there.

Noobzor

• Grazing is fun
  • I like grazing
« Reply #271 on: October 25, 2013, 05:39:31 PM »
You're doing good, by the way. Hang in there.

Thanks, it's motivating, wish you luck for your 300M too :3

On topic: I needed a rest after hours of scoring, and decided to do something silly to relax. So I tried EoSD normal no-vert. I died at stage 6 with a lot of silly deaths with bombs in stock, so I thought I could give it a try on hard. Everything went pretty well until Killing Doll, where I just died with full bombs. Then I instantly knew I would die at Scarlet Gensokyo, just to really piss me off. And I was right. Now I really want that no-vert 1cc :derp: (I find the replay pretty cool though)
Hard 1cc's: all windows games :3
Lunatic 1cc's: EoSD, PoFV, PCB
My replays

« Reply #272 on: October 26, 2013, 07:41:37 PM »
Died 6 times during the last minute of a GFW Hard A-1 No-bombs No Ice on Spells run.

Gah, that's lame. Being a human is immeasurably gross. Hope it's over soon.

Burning Love

• Flan is not a pudding! (I think)
    • Burning Love' Blog
« Reply #273 on: October 27, 2013, 04:59:33 AM »
Lost 3 lives and 6(?) bombs at Eirin's penultimate spell (Esoterica "Astronomical Entombing" ). The bacteria bullet really makes my life a hell.

Edit: Lost 2 lives and 6 bombs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWAnK0Dfc4Y
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 10:41:19 AM by Burning Love »
Still waiting for a good sig. image

Zil

« Reply #274 on: October 27, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »

« Reply #275 on: October 27, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »
Get to Raiko 5/1.

Fail on last phase of Pristine Beat.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #276 on: October 27, 2013, 08:13:19 PM »
Booted up DDC. Wanted to LNB with ReimuB. NMNB stage 1 and 2. Gameover on Kagerou.

Haha, I shouldn't have expected any different. I truly believe Kagerou is not a fair fight. The crazy amount of walls and RNG in that fight, combined with little reaction time. Even if you were to call it fair, it does NOT belong in stage 3.

I've pretty much given up on playing DDC Lunatic for survival. Stage 3 and 4 are way too brutal. And Seija can also really screw you over sometimes. It's just not my game. It's a shame, because this is a game I thought I would really like too...

Ghost

• Fluke dodging is the best tactic.
« Reply #277 on: October 27, 2013, 11:37:12 PM »
Kagerou being stage 3 saves time on restarts when she ends your runs at least >.>

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #278 on: October 28, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »
When you try to cancel a boss attack with your own boss attack but it turns out your gauge is just below full so you have to use a charge attack, waste your gauge and that causes 3 consecutive hits and a death. I really hate this charge gauge >:(

« Reply #279 on: October 30, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »
I wanted to unlock stuff for practice in TD Lunatic.
It took me 8 credits to clear.
Kill me now.

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #280 on: October 31, 2013, 12:21:31 AM »
Got all the way to Yuyuko's penultimate spell in a PCB Perfect Lunatic attempt.

My nervousness was out of control and I was too weak to be able to handle the pressure.

But if I keep trying I may be able to get this soon. Let's hope so...

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #281 on: October 31, 2013, 10:31:26 PM »
MY FUCKING GOD IMPERISHABLE NIGHT WHY THE FUCK DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO HARD ON LUNATIC. FUCK YOU KEINE. FUCK YOU MARISA. FUCK YOU TEWI.

...My experience with IN Lunatic in a nutshell. This is absolutely infuriating and the worst part is I KNOW I can do it, it's just I get fucked over by stupid mistakes all of the time, particularly around Keine. Her danmaku can die in an absolute fire. Same with Marisa and Tewi.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

The ultimate joke would be making Wriggle an EX Boss, but there being a game-breaking bug in her final spellcard that made it impossible to catch.

Think about it for a second...

« Reply #283 on: November 01, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »
[attach=1]
 :colonveeplusalpha:

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #284 on: November 01, 2013, 10:30:47 PM »
[attach=1]

That exact thing happened to me a few weeks ago except with Marisa and I didn't even get to see the character portraits

Also fuck the LLS Extra... that is all
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

chum

« Reply #285 on: November 02, 2013, 12:06:20 AM »
[attach=1]

Holy fuck. What would the score have been?

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #286 on: November 02, 2013, 08:02:34 AM »
Someone needs to change the title, it's like a really bad omen, seriously.

Burning Love

• Flan is not a pudding! (I think)
    • Burning Love' Blog
« Reply #287 on: November 02, 2013, 11:50:56 AM »
I'm not mad at Nitori 'walling' me. I'm not mad at failing miserably at deathbombing. I'm not mad at having to bomb at the last second of the spell card.
I'm MAD at frame rates dropping while I'm live-recording.

WHYYY
Still waiting for a good sig. image

« Reply #288 on: November 02, 2013, 11:58:45 PM »
Holy fuck. What would the score have been?

About 543 million.

an unmatched sock

• Um...what's this?
  • Should I be concerned? I think I should be concern
« Reply #289 on: November 03, 2013, 04:27:29 AM »
Just tried a Hard run on EoSD. I only died once in Stage 3, which was inevitable, as Meiling is usually not so friendly towards me, but overall it started out as a good run.

Then all of the derp on Stage 4...ran into a knife from the second wave of fairies that drop those circles that release a bunch of knives...two failed deathbombs (My reaction time isn't that off, I know I got at least one of those before I got hit  :fail:), and then Patchouli got rid of all but one extra life because clipdeaths (curse those giant bubble bullets...)

Stage 5 I derp-dodged into the second wave of fairies' bullets, then I somehow failed to get past the ones that shoot red bullets in the wave that shoots blue-red-green. Dangit.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #290 on: November 03, 2013, 04:17:01 PM »
Just had a stupidly unlucky MoF LNB attempt...
Here's the list of things I died to (I just missed 150,000,000 due to some early deaths)
Pain Flow (double KO), Hydro Camouflage, fairies before Nitori, Momiji, Saruta Cross, Storm Day, PWG.
Here's the list of things that gave me really bad waves:
Minoriko's final, Hina's 2nd, Pain Flow, Hydro Camouflage (3 times, dodged the first 2 but :/), fairies after midboss Nitori, fairies before Nitori, Kappa's Illusory Waterfall, 2nd popcorn fairy in Stage 4, Momiji, Saruta Cross, Storm Day, Aya's 3rd non, PWG.

I mean, seriously game.  I know you don't want me to get this clear, and obviously I don't either considering how many decent to good runs I've thrown away in Stage 5 (if lives entering stage > 0, set lives to 0.  Without fail.), but this is ridiculous, giving me horrible luck on everything.  It's the runs like those that make me want to just never attempt this again...but I'm so close and on no less than 3 occasions I've practiced 3-6 in a row with 8 deaths.  I've also gotten a no death Stage 1&2 many times...so why can't I just connect any of those?  Why do I have to throw everything away, and when I don't throw it away, why does the game have to give me barely avoidable waves that I have to BS my through on everything?  Why can't I just do this?  It feels like it should be easy, or at the very least not borderline impossible for me...but when the RNG isn't on your side, what can you do.  I know this way too well from speedrunning/racing...so many good runs foiled by RNG, so many races lost for simply not being luckier (often even while playing better!) with only a one race being decided the other way, and only one run being brought back from the bring by RNG at the end.

I guess this is less rage at Touhou and more rage at RNG because it's really frustrating having things roll their 1 in a million "screw you!" wave all in a row.

« Reply #291 on: November 04, 2013, 08:29:01 AM »
Just keep trying! As far as I can recall MoF doesn't have thaaat many RNG parts. (I think most stage portions and sanae are completely static, or something) You can also try doing stuff you're constantly failing in new ways, and experiment a lot. When I tried to clear Normal mode I've spent way more time practicing new things than going for runs~

On topic: I failed a DDC normal 1cc today to the last attack, arggh. Back to practice mode for me :<

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #292 on: November 04, 2013, 09:39:15 AM »
Just keep trying! As far as I can recall MoF doesn't have thaaat many RNG parts. (I think most stage portions and sanae are completely static, or something)
I didn't mention those as parts where the RNG trolled me (or where I died!), did I.  The 3 stage ssections I did mention that gave bad RNG certainly aren't static, and I didn't even get to Sanae that run due to the many deaths to horrible waves.  Also, bad RNG on lunatic is much worse than on normal, especially when you're trying to win without bombs because the X key is no longer an easy out.

« Reply #293 on: November 04, 2013, 10:21:04 AM »
I didn't mention those as parts where the RNG trolled me (or where I died!), did I.  The 3 stage ssections I did mention that gave bad RNG certainly aren't static, and I didn't even get to Sanae that run due to the many deaths to horrible waves.  Also, bad RNG on lunatic is much worse than on normal, especially when you're trying to win without bombs because the X key is no longer an easy out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to play more credits. It seems like you're just putting in one credit expecting to win and became disappointed when you didn't. That death on stage 2? Why not restart? If you're having trouble with the latter parts of the game why not gather more lives for stage 4+?
I'm pretty bad but I have cleared this game with bombs on lunatic, and I don't see how no bombs would make it that much harder.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #294 on: November 04, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »
I put in as many runs as I feel motivated to, which that run killed the motivation due to the horrible luck-I felt like many of the deaths were unavoidable, and that it was a doomed attempt from the outset.

I didn't restart after the death at the very end of Stage 2 because I know I can clear even with that death, and I really didn't want to have to go play dice with Minoriko's final again until it didn't spawn lasers on top of the lane I selected.  Also, you get 8 deaths.  The 9th is game over.  Having one more life to have lost on PWG would leave me with 1 life for Stages 5 and 6, and though I can perfect Stage 5 fairly reliably in stage practice (more than half the time) in actual attempts I lose every life I have in that stage.  I've entered with 0, lost Sanae's, exited with 0, and I've entered with 3 lives, died 4 times and entered Stage 6 with 0 lives.

No bombs not being that much harder than with bombs?  Please just imagine how many times you bombed in that clear.  Now replace all of those earlygame bombs with a death, or not all but let's say...2/3s or so.  Probably a Stage 3 game over.  You can make upwards of 50 mistakes and skip patterns you can't do/bad waves of patterns with bombs.  Without that, you're stripped down to just your shots for damage, forcing you to dodge everything, and only 8 mistakes.  Only 8.  Think about it.

« Reply #295 on: November 04, 2013, 10:27:40 PM »
8 mistakes seems like a ton. For me I don't know how to handle the stages (I've heard they're memo) and I just use a ton of bombs on them and have low power everywhere. I think that having low power at bosses outweighs the fact that you have to dodge the boss's patterns. (For example if you bomb once with 1 power you still need to dodge a lot)
I can see that learning how to do the game without bombs can be a pain in the ass but once you've learned it I don't think it will present that much difficulty for a no bomb.
On topic I guess: failed a couple DDC lunatic 1ccs with SakuyaA. (but I cleared normal and hard wooo)

Zil

« Reply #296 on: November 04, 2013, 10:37:32 PM »
Obviously the game is like 10 times harder without bombs. They shatter it to pieces.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #297 on: November 04, 2013, 11:06:18 PM »
I can see that learning how to do the game without bombs can be a pain in the ass but once you've learned it I don't think it will present that much difficulty for a no bomb.
Then just try it.  Use stage practice and die everywhere in the stages and don't count that, just focus on the bosses.  Count just the boss deaths.

Also 8 mistakes over 22 minutes...yeah, that's not exactly a lot.  Also, even low power on bosses can be managed if you can dodge the pattern (or, you know, just keep dropping bombs to skip patterns and then die, which then gives you more bombs to skip things!)

Either way, made it to Stage 6 again...but with 0 lives again.  I almost mercy killed the run right there, but kept going and derped the first 'death fairy' in the stage.  *sigh*...one of these days I'll have lives to spare, one of these days I'll perfect Stage 6...with my luck, they'll happen at the same time.

chum

« Reply #298 on: November 05, 2013, 12:19:11 AM »
Obviously the game is like 10 times harder without bombs. They shatter it to pieces.

Still though, there's no way RNG can fuck up your run that badly in MoF.

« Reply #299 on: November 05, 2013, 12:31:14 AM »
Then just try it.  Use stage practice and die everywhere in the stages and don't count that, just focus on the bosses.  Count just the boss deaths.

Also 8 mistakes over 22 minutes...yeah, that's not exactly a lot.  Also, even low power on bosses can be managed if you can dodge the pattern (or, you know, just keep dropping bombs to skip patterns and then die, which then gives you more bombs to skip things!)

Ok I looked at a run from youtube and gave no bombs a try. It wasn't as hard as you claim, seriously...
I fumble a lot during stage portions because i have no clue how to do them, there was a really lucky dodge pre mid-sanae.
Although I dislike restrictions I reckon i can get this if I practice for a bit more and learn the stages! (Or I just got lucky on this run~)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/f5vd1iobdhhe6bb/th10_02.rpy