Author Topic: NFL Playoffs 2013/14! (Also Vic won fantasy but no one cares PLAYOFF FOOTBALL)  (Read 80661 times)

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
Re: MotK Fantasy Football 2013!
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2013, 08:35:51 PM »
Oh my god did y'all see or hear about Dustin Keller's knee injury? This is one of the worst injuries I've seen in football in a long time.  He tore his ACL, MCL, PCL, and dislocated his knee, basically it couldn't get much worse unless there was damage to his arteries in his leg, which luckily there isn't. I really feel sorry for him, this might be career ending.

To make matters a little worse D.J. Swearinger, the guy that made the tackle, made what (in my opinion) was a clean tackle but he's getting heat like he tried to do it on purpose. He's a defensive back making a tackle on a tight end, he has to go low and in his words ?If I would have hit him high, I would have gotten a fine. So I think I made the smartest play. I?m sorry it happened ? Right now it?s just instinct. You see somebody come across the middle, you gotta go low. You?re going to cost your team 15 yards. You?ve got to play within the rules.?. This has sparked up an unusual discussion, should there be rules against making tackles like that? I don't think that there should be but it's going to be a small thing.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:02:34 PM by Zirene »

Soul Devour

• A Casual Touhou Fan
  • Drifting along, one day at a time
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
This a terrible injury, I hope the best for him.

Where's this discussion happening? ESPN crew I'm guessing? Wherever it is, all these changes to help player safety will eventually just kill the game. There's only so much you can do when you have some guys who are 300+ lbs colliding into each other. This is a dangerous game where there's a good chance you get hurt. You can try and change that but I get the feeling it ultimately won't be as interesting for people to watch (namely because the defense won't be able to do squat without being penalized). Maybe Bernard Pollard was right when he said football wouldn't be around in 30 years. Not the football we know at least.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2013, 08:52:59 PM »
Oh my god did y'all see or hear about Dustin Keller's knee injury? This is one of the worst injuries I've seen in football in a long time.  He tore his ACL, MCL, PCL, and dislocated his knee, basically it couldn't get much worse unless there was damage to his arteries in his leg, which luckily there isn't. I really feel sorry for him, this might be career ending.

His career is probably over.  Keller's knee was destroyed, he'll be lucky to walk again without pain barring a miracle recovery.

To make matters a little worse D.J. Swearinger, the guy that made the tackle, made what (in my opinion) was a clean tackle but he's getting heat like he tried to do it on purpose. He's a defensive back making a tackle on a tight end, he has to go low and in his words (paraphrasing) "I can't go high". This has sparked up an unusual discussion, should there be rules against making tackles like that? I don't think that there should be but it's going to be a small thing.

Yeah, this isn't gonna happen imo.  Can't tackle high, can't tackle low, where can you tackle?  This is a sport where injuries happen.  Swearinger's reaction is a natural result of all of the new rules and fines.

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2013, 08:58:46 PM »
Where's this discussion happening? ESPN crew I'm guessing?
I heard a little bit about it on ESPN but there wasn't a discussion, they just brought the point up. There was a small discussion on an XM/Sirius NFL radio talk show when I was driving home about 2 hours ago. The consensus was no there shouldn't be a rule against this.
Yeah, this isn't gonna happen imo.  Can't tackle high, can't tackle low, where can you tackle?  This is a sport where injuries happen.  Swearinger's reaction is a natural result of all of the new rules and fines.
I really doubt it too but this is the NFL, who knows what could happen they've jacked around with the rules a lot lately. You're right about Swearinger's reaction, he basically had to say what he said.

Edible

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2013, 04:55:26 PM »
Terrible First Round Bust WR 2011 Jon Baldwin was traded to the 49ers for Terrible First Round Bust WR 2012 AJ Jenkins.

Great job team!

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »
Hainiryuun: Just sent you an invite.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2013, 01:11:34 PM »
Hainiryuun: Just sent you an invite.

Got it.
Normal 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK
Hard 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
Lunatic 1CC's - PCB, IN, PoFV
Extra Clears - EoSD (+Ultra), PCB (+Phantasm), IN (+Ultra), PoFV, MoF, DDC
Youtube

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2013, 02:39:54 PM »
Is that 12 now? Remind me what the rosters are again :derp:?
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

Edible

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2013, 02:48:38 PM »
Now would be a good time to discuss roster settings, yeah.

Current settings are:

QB, QB, WR, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Since we have 12 people, I think Kilga plans on eliminating one QB and one WR slot.  I would also like to eliminate one or two bench spots to encourage waiver moves.

We should also put the playoffs at 6 teams <_<;

My other personal preferences involve kicking PPR up to 1 instead of 0.5 and passing TDs to 6 instead of 4, but it's not really necessary

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2013, 04:08:43 PM »
Now would be a good time to discuss roster settings, yeah.

Current settings are:

Since we have 12 people, I think Kilga plans on eliminating one QB and one WR slot.  I would also like to eliminate one or two bench spots to encourage waiver moves.

My other personal preferences involve kicking PPR up to 1 instead of 0.5 and passing TDs to 6 instead of 4, but it's not really necessary

Yeah, definitely drop down to 1 QB. There isn't enough QB's to go around in a 12 man league. Doesn't matter to me either way on the other drops.

+1 to the point increases as well
Normal 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK
Hard 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
Lunatic 1CC's - PCB, IN, PoFV
Extra Clears - EoSD (+Ultra), PCB (+Phantasm), IN (+Ultra), PoFV, MoF, DDC
Youtube

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2013, 07:06:38 PM »
- One QB and one WR are getting culled, yes. I am indifferent on culling one bench slot. I would object to culling two or adding any.
- The playoffs will be expanded to six teams so Edible can drop his Week 14 stinker in the playoff bracket instead of the consolation bracket.
- I am in favor of increasing QB TDs to 6, particularly given we're cutting a QB spot out. I also think all Matt Schaub TDs should be worth 12.
- I am opposed to increasing PPR to 1 because I think the receptions themselves start overtaking yardage in worth. I find 0.5 to be a happy medium in that receptions aren't trivial but they're not as important as yards. However I will obviously make this change if the majority wants it.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Edible

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »
- One QB and one WR are getting culled, yes. I am indifferent on culling one bench slot. I would object to culling two or adding any.

Yeah, cutting two is too many, looking at what's available.  5 should be plenty.

- The playoffs will be expanded to six teams so Edible can drop his Week 14 stinker in the playoff bracket instead of the consolation bracket.

8) 8) 8)

- I am in favor of increasing QB TDs to 6, particularly given we're cutting a QB spot out. I also think all Matt Schaub TDs should be worth 12.

(If you or anyone else actually gets stuck with Schaub this year I will laugh)

- I am opposed to increasing PPR to 1 because I think the receptions themselves start overtaking yardage in worth. I find 0.5 to be a happy medium in that receptions aren't trivial but they're not as important as yards. However I will obviously make this change if the majority wants it.

I find 1PPR to be a more natural reflection of how well a receiver is helping his offense, especially in today's league.  But any PPR is better than no PPR, so I'm fine with 0.5.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2013, 07:55:55 PM »
Assuming everyone holds onto a backup QB, I would be surprised if he isn't riding someone's bench. He isn't flashy, but you mostly know what you're getting from him and he doesn't make too many mistakes, which is what you should be looking for first and foremost when searching for a plugin.

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2013, 08:37:05 PM »

I very much agree on removing 1 bench spot, last year there were a solid amount of wavier moves for the first year, but there could have been more. This will force people's hand to make more moves. Having as many newer players as we seem to have, I'm a little more hesitant on removing 2 spots.

We certainly should have 6 players in a 12 player league to keep people interested. Interest in the league seemed to wane a bit toward the playoffs and while whole fiasco with Kerigis' team didn't help, more playoffs spots will keep people interested regardless.

Hmmmmm the PPR point value is something I'm less sure of, this one could have a much larger impact than it seems with 3 WRs. My gut reaction is stay at .5 PPR and move up to 6 points per TD but I'm usually biased toward TDs mattering more so that is coloring my decision. However, I'm fine with whatever decision we make. All my other leagues are standard or close to it so I like moving values around for some variety and I think it makes me better at evaluating players in the long run.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »
I just made most of the mentioned changes. PPR (get it) is still up in the air.

Also there is now an extremely important poll up for voting on the league message board.

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2013, 03:08:51 AM »
I like PPR at 0.5 per and QB TD at 6 per. That reduced roster lineup looks good too.
Matt Schaub is a great bench QB, he's consistent, not under threat from his backup, and capable of exploding for points in the right situation.

Also Byakuren~~  :V
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

Soul Devour

• A Casual Touhou Fan
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2013, 07:46:33 PM »
I'm personally for the reduction on the roster as well as the increase for TDs to 6. 6 team playoffs sounds good to me.

Do not want PPR risen to 1.

My 2 cents.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2013, 11:45:04 PM »
[19:40:00] <Edible> [18:07] <Reisen-Udongein-Inaba> Edible: Just snagged my new horrible FF pun team name < o?
[19:40:20] <Reisen-Udongein-Inaba> Edible: The Buc Staphs Here
[19:40:27] <Edible> God dammit.

I'm willing to sell use of this magnificent new name to anyone that wants it for their own personal leagues for the low low price of $10.

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2013, 04:40:54 AM »
I just realized something cool. I'm sure more than a few of you are going to AWA so whoever your week 4 match up is, they might be there! Should be fun. By the way who's going to AWA from this league?

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2013, 06:55:02 PM »
I'm going to be there, like usual.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2013, 03:46:01 AM »
Unfortunately I have work on Sunday, so I guess I'll miss the draft :(

Edible

« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2013, 12:06:44 AM »
Unfortunately I have work on Sunday, so I guess I'll miss the draft :(

An autodraft could not be any worse than what you wound up with last year :V

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2013, 12:11:08 AM »
Speaking of PX's draft last year, it looks like Kevin Kolb's career might be over.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2013, 01:37:06 AM »
But I didn't draft Kolb, he was picked up after week 1

Edible

« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2013, 01:00:23 PM »
Getting close to draft time~

If you haven't done so already, please check the league settings to make sure you're familiar.  You might also want to customize your title/avatar/etc ahead of time.

Edible

« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2013, 01:40:59 PM »
Speaking of PX's draft last year, it looks like Kevin Kolb's career might be over.

"According to the Buffalo News' Tim Graham, Kevin Kolb struggled to answer questions like "where are you" and "what's you're name" following his concussion in the third preseason game."

God damn :(

Poor guy.  Was doing okay on the Cards but playing for that team ruined him last year.

Soul Devour

• A Casual Touhou Fan
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2013, 03:10:43 AM »
For the sake of his health past the age of 40, he seriously needs to retire. It's depressing to hear that he's unable to respond to basic questions and God help him if he takes one more serious hit to the head.

Edible

« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2013, 02:05:27 PM »
What's the over/under on Ed Reed actually playing this year?

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2013, 02:08:57 PM »
I'm wondering about the over/under on Kenbrell Thompkins's draft position. He went #74 overall in one of my leagues.

Edible

« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2013, 02:26:17 PM »
His adp is skyrocketing.  5th round is starting to look unsurprising for him, and it's still rising.  People want that kid badly.