Author Topic: League of Legends Thread 10 - Threads...threads are truly outrageous.  (Read 225099 times)

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
Re: League of Legends Thread 10 - just build a damn Warmog's
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2013, 07:38:29 PM »
Sustain beats poke which beats burst which beats sustain, I think it's the same idea, really. (Okay, I read this triangle somewhere, don't remember where so feel free to correct.)

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2013, 08:29:21 PM »
Sustain beats poke which beats burst which beats sustain, I think it's the same idea, really. (Okay, I read this triangle somewhere, don't remember where so feel free to correct.)

That's a different triangle, and heavy sustain comps are not the most common in the first place, especially with the current state of Soraka. But yeah, Baron Buff counters poke unless it's Nidalee and you don't build MR

A bunch of Warmogs is not enough to withstand heavy poke, and the champions that do best in a Warmogs slugfest tend to not be the best engagers, compared to engages for an AoE comp or something.

If you watch the LCS, any team that is playing 'standard' right now is having a lot of trouble with heavy poke champions, and double AP poke comps. Especially Nidalee, because they lack the lock-down or burst to kill things in an all-in, so the poke team can disengage and go back to poking. Lux is also an issue due to her range and inabilty for the tanks to actually reach her.

That's why poke beats pure tank comps, they can't pin down a poke comp usually, and get kited to death. Think Darius v Ashe. Darius won't catch Ashe, and get whittled away as he gets kited. What happens if Jarven jumps on Nidalee? She jumps out.

Meanwhile, a poke comp doesn't last long enough to disengage from an AoE/Burst comp, they get locked up too long, and bursted too fast. Think of what happens if an Akali jumps on an Ashe. Ashe dies, she can't disengage and kite. [I know Akali isn't the best example for a teamfight but that would be Kennen and he's not a 1v1 champion] If Maokai jumps on Nidalee, she's snared, and the rest of the team has enough follow up AoE/C.C to murder her and her whole team.

Meanwhile, the burst-AoE comp cannot burst down the tank comp fast enough. Think Akali v Darius. If Maokai and his AoE comp jump on a team full of tanky bruisers like Darius and Jarvan, they'll bear the assult, and then just DPS back.

Of course there are not absolutes. Any team can defeat any other team; teamfights are not the only part of the game. Someone can always be caught out.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:34:50 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2013, 05:04:47 PM »
I've tried to play adc a bit more, Caitlyn specifically. Lux + Cait still best botlane (or, well, I like it a lot  :V).

Also, as for summoner spells, flash is obvious, but for the other... I tried out exhaust a bit, and I think I like it. It can secure kills by virtue of the enemy not running away, win duels, and self-peel when necessary. I guess it depends on both team comps, but still. Haven't tried cleanse yet. I imagine it would be good if, say, you lane against a taric so if he should stun you unexpectedly you can use it to disengage immediately. My problem is that with all the gap-closers, I have a feeling that often cleanse won't be enough to save you. Ok, it counters ignite damage, but that is trading one summoner for another, and they still get the passive 5 AD 5 AP.  :derp:
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2013, 10:16:43 PM »
I've tried to play adc a bit more, Caitlyn specifically. Lux + Cait still best botlane (or, well, I like it a lot  :V).

Also, as for summoner spells, flash is obvious, but for the other... I tried out exhaust a bit, and I think I like it. It can secure kills by virtue of the enemy not running away, win duels, and self-peel when necessary. I guess it depends on both team comps, but still. Haven't tried cleanse yet. I imagine it would be good if, say, you lane against a taric so if he should stun you unexpectedly you can use it to disengage immediately. My problem is that with all the gap-closers, I have a feeling that often cleanse won't be enough to save you. Ok, it counters ignite damage, but that is trading one summoner for another, and they still get the passive 5 AD 5 AP.  :derp:

I still like Cleanse more though, especially when the support has Exhaust. It'll probably be up again before the other guys ignite As for guys with gapclosers, that's when you'll just need other people to help you peel. It even makes it easier because using Cleanse lowers the effective of cc on you temporarily. .

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2013, 10:48:20 PM »
After doing some thinking, I've realized something.

While certainly, a lot of losses I've had in ranked recently are not my fault [I had Sonas who fired their ults BACKWARDS today. MULTIPLE TIMES.], I've still not been performing good enough.

You could say while I'm not the reason we lose, I'm not doing enough to ensure we win either. I don't look at a game and say 'I carried that'. I look at a game and think 'Yeah I tanked a ton and helped someone else carry!', or 'Argh I tanked a ton and C.C'ed all I could but my team can't win!'. I should be CARRYING, not being some superglue.

I'm not winning lanes, I'm going even, or just outfarming a bit, or even losing, then coming back with farm and teamfight. If there's one thing I know to do, it's how to not die earlygame [Being a tank player dying in teamfights is usually a good thing if you save others at the same time]

My jungle roster is stale. Maokai is falling out of popularity, and does pretty awful against the Trinity right now [Jarvan/Xin/Vi]

My ADC is plain bad, and I never get to play mid. When I play top about the only tops I can play are Rumble and Singed to a good enough level where I can win lanes.

I pretty much only play tanks, and I'm too reserved with my ADC.

This is obviously a side-effect of me pretty much skipping the Silver Boundry when I carried myself to Gold in the Preseason pretty much only playing Maokai.

The question is, what do I do to improve? Right now, Normals are too easy, and I don't gain anything from them. However, laning in ranked, I'm too far behind Gold level [I'm probobly mid-silvers in lane?], and my roster and playstyle is still stuck in Season 2.

What should I do to get myself going again? How can I improve if I'm too far behind to get much from playing gold players, and I'm too far ahead of Normals to get anything from those except a sense of 'ROFLStomp'. [Not to mention I never get to play mid/top in Normals, someone's always faster, or worse, outright ignores me and locks anyway]

Tl;DR:

Rai does OK usually. He's fed up with doing OK and needs to do awesome to carry derpy Sonas that fire backwards ults, but doesn't know how to make that jump.

I think in the last 30 ranked games I've played, I can only honestly say I carried one, and that was as Swain. Maybe a second with Support Zyra.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:56:39 PM by Raikaria »

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2013, 12:03:17 AM »
After doing some thinking, I've realized something.

While certainly, a lot of losses I've had in ranked recently are not my fault [I had Sonas who fired their ults BACKWARDS today. MULTIPLE TIMES.], I've still not been performing good enough.

I dunno. I dunno if it's a glitch or something weird with the controls because I've done that with Blitz grabs multiple times. Like, I press Q once for the grab, I decide I don't want to grab, and then Blitz fires his arm baackwards.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2013, 12:13:14 AM »
#1 annie na

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »

What should I do to get myself going again? How can I improve if I'm too far behind to get much from playing gold players, and I'm too far ahead of Normals to get anything from those except a sense of 'ROFLStomp'. [Not to mention I never get to play mid/top in Normals, someone's always faster, or worse, outright ignores me and locks anyway]

Don't play blind pick (unless you need to practice Malphite, Amumu et c. who are always banned.)
draft normals are much better for practice and blind is just used to try out crazy troll setups.

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2013, 09:55:33 PM »
stomping normals repeatedly should accelerate your mmr until you hit your skill level as well

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2013, 10:34:07 PM »
I am currently thinking about which champs to get (and get better at) before attempting ranked eventually.

This would be my 15 currently owned champs and their lane purposes. The ones in brackets I would be worried about doing decently with, be it due to not having enough experience with the champ in that role or (in case of Udyr) because they just don't seem good right now.

Support: Lulu, Lux, Thresh, (Alistar), (Soraka), (Nunu) [3+(3)]
ADC: Caitlyn, (Sivir), (Tristana) [1+(2)]
Mid: Galio, Lux, Cho'Gath, (Nidalee), (Maokai?) [3+(1)+(1?)]
Top: Singed, Cho'Gath, (Nidalee), (Udyr), (Lulu?) [2+(2)+(1?)]
Jungle: Cho'Gath, (Maokai), (Udyr), (Nunu), (Alistar) [1+(4)]

I suppose it would make sense to get a physical bruiser who can jungle or top for the 16th, since my only champ in that department is Udyr. J4 seemed fun when I tried him out I guess...
Another ADC would be good too, considering cait seems to be fotm, sadly. Ezreal seemed better for me than most so far, but... it's Ezreal. I don't want to be -that- guy.  :derp:

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2013, 11:10:16 PM »
for adc i would recommend graves unless it's a role you really want to get into. graves is sort of stupid but he's a good and strong learner champion for adc(and also not ezreal). ashe is also cheap and decent.

your mids need some actual burst casters in them. the ones you have are all loaded with more utility than damage(except lux). i would recommend getting some mids with more burst than utility, like annie or orianna. or an all burst champion like akali(who can also top) or katarina. yay assassins

support is fine though i'd remove soraka and nunu from brackets. their play patterns are incredibly easy.

top is okay but lacks a selection of strong picks. garen is incredibly powerful right now(though getting nerfed). jarvan is also good. udyr sucks.

same for jungle. except replace garen with xin

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2013, 09:34:55 AM »
for adc i would recommend graves unless it's a role you really want to get into. graves is sort of stupid but he's a good and strong learner champion for adc(and also not ezreal). ashe is also cheap and decent.
The problem with Ashe is that she is fun... but only once every one and a half minutes.  :V

your mids need some actual burst casters in them. the ones you have are all loaded with more utility than damage(except lux). i would recommend getting some mids with more burst than utility, like annie or orianna. or an all burst champion like akali(who can also top) or katarina. yay assassins
I prefer champs with a decent amount of utility because I don't like becoming useless when losing lane. That would also be one of the reasons I don't like assassins that much in general. Other reasons include the whole "wait until the initiator and bruiser have eaten up all the cc and brought the enemy low enough for your burst to matter before you go in", which wouldn't annoy me if it wasn't for the fact that they general lack good ranged poke, i.e. skillshots. While they often do have targeted poke, those require to get close enough for a similar enemy ability to hit me, and since theirs possibly could have CC attached, that is a problematic prospect, even without taking the possibility of a flash-initiate on me into account.

Despite this, I've been meaning to try Fizz ever since I started playing, but I never really got to do that, and I don't want to buy him on a whim, naturally.  :derp:

top is okay but lacks a selection of strong picks. garen is incredibly powerful right now(though getting nerfed). jarvan is also good. udyr sucks.

same for jungle. except replace garen with xin
So basically J4 or Xin, which were really the only two options I had been considering up to now.  :derp:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:02:31 PM by Iryan »

Smashy

• :V tank
  • ᕦ(? Д?)ᕤ
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2013, 03:25:41 PM »

Clearly AP Tristana fills this role.

(Note: I do not recommend this outside of normals, no matter how fun DFG->ult instagibs are.)

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »
So since we're speaking character rosters and stuff, here's mine:

Anivia/Ashe/Diana/Evelynn/Hecarim/Karma/Katarina/Kayle/Yi/Nunu/Olaf/Panth/Poppy/Ryze/Singed/Soraka/Teemo/Vayne/Warwick/Wukong

I sorta/kinda know how to play AD Yi and Wukong, I consider myself a decent Anivia and Support nunu, and a pretty good (if I do say so myself) Diana/Vayne.

Anything I'm lacking, specifically?

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »
Character roster listings? WHELL SHYURE I'LL JOIN IN!  :V

Top - Fiora, Riven, Teemo, Vi, Elise
Jungle - Amumu, Elise, Vi, Sejuani, Hecarim
Mid - Kennen, Katarina, Lux, Malzahar, (Teemo on the off occasion)
ADC - Vayne, Caitlyn, Ashe, Corki, (Teemo occasionally), (Quinn when she comes out maybe)
Support - Soraka, Nunu, Sona, Lux

My roster actually has about 40+ champs in it because Riot won't stop touching my wallet, but these are my main bunch. Technically I do use Ezreal as well, but with how often I see him around, I find he is better enjoyed like a fine wine: Only on special occasions and when I want to look cool as ice. I've been considering adding to the support roster, since I'm always pushed into the role, but I'm not exactly willing to toss money toward a support I won't use too often. Any recommendations and other roster changes?

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2013, 08:03:32 PM »
there is a depressing lack of rumble in this thread >:(

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2013, 08:25:07 PM »

If it makes you feel better, I just bought him along with some movespeed quints.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »
Fine here goes. Mostly just Lux, Rumble, Nami, Sona, Garen and kata though.

Top: Rumble, Garen, Vladimir, Katarina, cho, Tryndamere, Jax, Malphite, Udyr, Kayle
jungle: Lux :P Udyr, cho, Nunu, Malphite, Jax, Yi, Kayle,
Mid: Rumble Lux, Annie, Morgana, Tryndamere, Ryze, Yi, Kayle,

ADC  (I never ADC and need to buy some) Annie, Tristina, Ashe,   Sivir , Sona (god-damn disconnecting carries) (kayle?)
support Sona, Nami, Lux, Alistar, Morgana, Soraka, Kayle

« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2013, 08:38:22 PM »
Support - Sona
ADC - Sona
Mid - Sona
Top - Sona
Jungle - Soraka

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2013, 10:06:59 PM »
Jungle - Soraka
Geez, no dedication, this guy

« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2013, 10:25:37 PM »
if only it was possible to clear the jungle once without dying ;-;

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2013, 01:06:28 AM »
*Jumps into Roster listing*

*Will only list what I consider main*

Top: Rumble, Renekton, Fiora, Jax, Cho, Olaf
Mid: Swain, Lux, Zyra
Jungle: Maokai, Hecarim, Cho, Olaf, Malphite, Amumu, Sejuani
Support: Lulu, Zyra, Taric, Alistar
AD: Varus, Ezreal

Also on a side note, if you play Yorick, and have two carries on your team, and don't ult at all, in a teamfight in a 50 min game, don't act surprised when people blame you :/

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2013, 02:30:43 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD7VayT4KqQ

I don't play her often, and the chance where I can use her in ranked hasn't popped up. I only take her when I know I won't need much help, if any.

That and I usually get Phage/Mallet on her anyway for durability.

Doesn't change the fact I'm a decent Fiora.

Honestly between 500 damage Rank 1 Ult, three gap-closers [Double Q, R], and her tendency to not push unless she rushed Tiamat, Fiora is far from the worst example of champions to gank for. She's certainly hard to gank for, but there's far, far worse [Mordekaiser anyone? You know, 0 gap closers, constant pushing, melee, close range skills, 0 C.C]

I know Fiora's problems for junglers though, I main jungle @_@. If my lane wants to take Fiora, I'll pick Maokai or something and not Cho. Likewise I wouldn't pick Fiora if my jungler took Hecarim.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:33:02 AM by Raikaria »

Taboo

• FLY AWAY NOW FLY AWAY NOW
  • FLY AWAAAAAAAY
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2013, 02:59:44 AM »
roster:

top- nidalee, jax, trying to learn zed but that isn't going well
jungle- amumu, olaf
mid- nidalee, lux, annie
ad- caitlyn, varus, ez
support- nidalee, lux, taric

whoo nidalee if she could be played everywhere i'd do that

« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2013, 03:33:14 AM »
Roster:

*those with parenthesis I'm trying to learn*
top - Elise, Vlad, Olaf, Kayle, Kennen, GP, Singed,(Rumble)
mid - Syndra, Annie, Kassadin, Ap Kog.
bot - Corki
support - Sona

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Smashy

• :V tank
  • ᕦ(? Д?)ᕤ
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2013, 03:48:34 AM »
Top: Olaf, Nasus, Jax, J4
Mid: Ryze, Lux, Gragas, Twisted Fate
Bot: Ashe, Tristana, Graves, Ezreal
Jungle: J4, Cho'Gath, Olaf, Amumu
Support: Taric, Sona, Soraka, Nunu, Blitzcrank

And probably a few others I missed, especially in Jungle.  After next runepage I think my next buy will be either Wukong, Skarner, or Caitilyn if I don't mind playing her after this freeweek.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:16:10 PM by Smashy »

« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2013, 03:56:27 AM »
So we are listing what champs we play where? Okay, who the fuck do I play anymore...

Top: Olaf, Jayce, Singed. (Yeah go top in like 1% of games I play)
Mid:  Ryze, Lux. (Yeah, I never go mid either)
Jungler: Xin zhao, Lee sin, Maokai, Trundle, Mundo, Olaf, Jax.
ADC: I can play most of them other than sivir and kogmaw. B/c fuck them.
Support: Taric, Nunu (benched), Blitzcrank (banned forever), Janna (benched), Annie

I need to tighten up my shen and malph play.

PC

• riot pls nerf trondamere
  • poultry shout too strong
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2013, 04:08:18 AM »
competence list

top: ribbon akali
mid: lux ahri ori ryze
ad: vayne grapes caselyn
support: leona sonar sir raka
jungle: amumu mookai diana

condensed 'people i have lots of fun playing' list

lux

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2013, 05:49:28 AM »
I have like 30 champs, but I only play like 15 of them, and I'm good at very few of them.

Top: Kennen, Rumble*, Teemo**, Garen*, Taric, Kayle, Warwick**
Jungle: Jarven IV, Shyvana, Nunu, Fiddlesticks*, Taric
Mid: Orianna, Lux, Kayle, Kennen, Annie, Rumble
AD Carry: Caitlyn, Varus, Ashe, Ez, Sivir*
Support: Blitz, Sona, Janna, Nunu...every traditional support not named Nami, Thresh, or Karma

* not comfortable haven't played them much, so odds of me winning lane are slim, but I usually don't feed
** I always feed with them :(

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:52:41 AM by hyorinryu »

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff