Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer  (Read 270866 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer
« Reply #420 on: February 22, 2013, 07:53:27 AM »
To delve into Eirin's age from canon info:

Eirin is older than Tsukuyomi (source? SSiB or CiLR?).

Tsukuyomi is a son of Izanagi. The three noble children, Amaterasu, Tsukuyomi and Susanoo, were born when Izanagi returned from his terrible quest to meet the dead Izanami, and cleansed himself. In other words, they were born quite some time after Izanagi and Izanami had created the islands of Japan.

According to Izanagi Object ~ Neo-traditionalism of Japan, Izanagi and Izanami created Japan 25 million years ago. So Eirin's age might be on a time scale comparable to that.

(If we consider the possibility that Eirin is Omoikane, according to some version of family tree of the gods, Omoikane is of the same generation as Izanagi and Izanami. Anyways, Omoikane is older than the three noble children.)

Kaguya, though, can be much younger than that, most likely born after the founding of Lunar Capital.

About whether the Lunarians are human - it's not as important as you may think. Japanese mythology, like many animist mythologies, don't differentiate much between humans and gods, or humans and objects, for that matter.

>Sagus

You have a point about whether humanity can determine things that existed prior to humanity's evolution, and I also find it troubling. But did you know that there really is a quantum physics theory that proposed the universe was in a Schrodinger's cat state, until humanity was evolved enough to observe it, thus retroactively making the entire history of the universe snap into focus?

What if the pre-human history of Touhou universe is inspired by this theory?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:06:56 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #421 on: February 22, 2013, 10:37:23 PM »
Uhhhhh Eirin is so ooold :P

Someone knows from where they get the spellcards comments to put in the touhou wiki? Are those comments from ZUN itself? There are some spellcards lacking comments on wiki.

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Undefined_Fantastic_Object/Spell_Cards/Stage_4
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Drake

« Reply #422 on: February 23, 2013, 12:02:38 AM »
IN is the only game to have official spell card comments. The rest are flavour made up by particular wiki contributors.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #423 on: February 23, 2013, 01:36:02 AM »
*clip!*
Oh, I had forgotten about NToJ, that one has a good piece of info too~

That's an interesting theory, although to be honest I prefer to believe that there are supernatural elements in the touhou universe that exist regardless of humans; although, everything taken into account, I'd wager your theory seems to be closer to canon.

Anyway, we'd better continue this speculation in a proper topic before we get scolded for using this thread for it :P

Is the timeline in the Touhou wiki reliable in terms of when the events of the extra materials take place? Or are they guesses too?
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Drake

« Reply #424 on: February 23, 2013, 02:01:16 AM »
Some, such as the Bunbunmaru/Kakashi articles, are exact. Some are placed because they logically fit between two events and give other hints. It should be pretty clear which are more exact than others.

cuc

« Reply #425 on: February 23, 2013, 02:14:32 AM »
They are technically all speculation, and the reliability varies. Sometimes the time of a story can be easily pinned down, such as a story set during monsoon season, or new year, other times not so easy - I've had debates about the order of the music CD stories. In general, ZUN would make sure there are "seasonal symbols" in a story, and fans extrapolate  from them.

EDIT: hijacked by Drake :V
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:17:05 AM by cuc »

« Reply #426 on: February 24, 2013, 04:19:12 AM »
Hey, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I searched around for a while and couldn't find it.

Anyways, what are the limitations on releasing Touhou fanworks on the Android Market and/or for Android in general?
I understand that you can't release commercial works, but what constitutes a 'commercial' work?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of making a Touhou danmaku game (aimed mostly at tablets/things with physical keyboards but also touch screens) similar to the Touhou Boss Medley (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85bE4NlzrLE) for Android, but I'm not sure whether I should make it with Touhou characters (as I would prefer) or just the majority of mechanics from the Touhou games and original characters.
The second project I'm working on is a Visual Novel with Touhou characters (not Eastern Starlight Romance), which I would like to release for Android as well as Windows/Mac/Linux. If I were to release it as a $1.99 app or something, would that be against the rules? What if it was released for free?

Sorry again if this's been answered, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer anyways.
A point in the right direction would be helpful as well, of course.

Thanks!

Drake

« Reply #427 on: February 24, 2013, 07:18:10 AM »
ZUN has explicitly prohibited putting derivative works on outlets such as app markets, XBLA, Steam, etc. Sorry brah.

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Wiki:Copyrights

« Reply #428 on: February 24, 2013, 12:33:38 PM »
ZUN has explicitly prohibited putting derivative works on outlets such as app markets, XBLA, Steam, etc. Sorry brah.

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Wiki:Copyrights

Dang, ok. Thanks for the heads up.

Just to double check, it should still be fine to make a game with near-identical mechanics and original characters for Android though, correct?
As well as releasing the VN for full PC platforms (Windows/Mac/Pc)?

Drake

« Reply #429 on: February 24, 2013, 10:45:08 PM »
Yeah I would think so.

cuc

« Reply #430 on: February 24, 2013, 11:14:46 PM »
You can release Touhou fan games on Android for absolutely free -  no ads, no in-app purchase (2012 interview about mobile development).

In general principle: ensure they contain nothing directly ripped from the official games, or anything similarly unwelcome. Make a clear copyright statement at startup and in your description that Touhou Project is (c) Team Shanghai Alice, and your work is deriative.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:16:51 AM by cuc »

« Reply #431 on: February 25, 2013, 04:07:12 AM »
You can release Touhou fan games on Android for absolutely free -  no ads, no in-app purchase (2012 interview about mobile development).

In general principle: ensure they contain nothing directly ripped from the official games, or anything similarly unwelcome. Make a clear copyright statement at startup and in your description that Touhou Project is (c) Team Shanghai Alice, and your work is deriative.

Cool, thanks for the help!

----- EDIT -----
Also, my partner pointed out that that doesn't say anything about, say, adding a 'donate' button or something - would that break the rules?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:31:38 AM by Jaxas »

Drake

« Reply #432 on: February 25, 2013, 08:02:45 AM »
Seriously doubt it, since the purpose is to support you personally rather than the work itself.

Zakari

• This loli contains Autism
  • Autistic Loli
« Reply #433 on: March 12, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »
I had one question.

why many touhou fanboys are always saying ''BRING MIMA BACK!!!'' it`s kinda annoying you know?

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #434 on: March 12, 2013, 03:50:19 PM »
What with the common, daytime, and nighttime endings in Touhou 3?  I mean... why are there three ending?  The same goes with Touhou 5 having two good endings.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 04:11:41 PM by game2011 »

Zil

« Reply #435 on: March 12, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »
PoDD has nine endings. One for each character. Likewise, MS has four, though there's also an ending for the Extra stage with each character. I'm guessing you just looked at the number of songs and that confused you. In MS, one song is used for the regular endings and the other for the Extra endings. In PoDD, each ending just uses one of the three songs.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #436 on: March 12, 2013, 09:04:45 PM »
How long had Eirin and co. been in Gensokyo by the time of Imperishable Night? Were they new arrivals?

Keegster2

• Green shroom
  • The guy that was dead for like 5 years
« Reply #437 on: March 12, 2013, 09:07:48 PM »
This is probably the wrong place to ask it, but I have a question related to Applocale and Fangames.

I want to play a demo of a certain Fangame, Touhou Rhythm Carnival. Do I have to use Applocale to set my language to Japanese to play it? I don't want to do this all over again, so if the answer is yes, then I will avoid downloading the demo.
"I'll give you old-timey, you mountebank!"

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #438 on: March 12, 2013, 10:36:26 PM »
How long had Eirin and co. been in Gensokyo by the time of Imperishable Night? Were they new arrivals?
They moved into Eientei before the Great Hakurei Barrier was created. Reisen moved in around the time of the Apollo missions. If you're counting Tewi, she's probably been there since rabbits first evolved.

I had one question.

why many touhou fanboys are always saying ''BRING MIMA BACK!!!'' it`s kinda annoying you know?
Because Touhou Soccer made up a cool attack for her. :V
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:43:05 PM by Prime32 »

« Reply #439 on: March 12, 2013, 11:00:44 PM »
Kaguya was banished from the moon around 1000 years ago, and Eirin followed her. Not long after, Kaguya broke Mokou's father's heart and that's how their rivalry began.

Actually, that's how Mokou even got hold of the Hourai Elixir, and seeing as she's about a millenium old as well, you can deduce it from that.
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

Eiburine

• Ferrero Rocher Lover
« Reply #440 on: March 13, 2013, 12:38:27 AM »
There is a doujin about Reimu, who after living a long life died of old age. I won't say much because spoilers, but Nitori is at the end. Does anyone know the name of it?

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #441 on: March 13, 2013, 12:53:33 AM »
There is a doujin about Reimu, who after living a long life died of old age. I won't say much because spoilers, but Nitori is at the end. Does anyone know the name of it?
If I remember correctly, isn't it "End of Maiden's Illusion"?
I finally got ahead!

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #442 on: March 13, 2013, 01:20:34 AM »
If I remember correctly, isn't it "End of Maiden's Illusion"?

Yep.

You can find it here (warning, danbooru link)
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

« Reply #443 on: March 13, 2013, 01:50:43 AM »
Umm... I don't even know if this place is the right one for a request.  I suppose it doesn't harm to ask eh?

So I'm pretty much a sucker for any touhou danmaku fangame, and heard a bit of Mythical Mirror.  It seems pretty interesting, but the only run I've ever found on the entire internet was of Normal mode, and it seems to be outdated (at least that's what I can presume from the fact most OSTs in the run sound unpolished when compared to, for example, the sample songs availiable at the game's site).

Anybody knows if there are videos of either an up-to-date run (if there is something such as a newer version of the game) or a hard/lunatic run of it?  Thank you all in advance!

Keegster2

• Green shroom
  • The guy that was dead for like 5 years
« Reply #444 on: March 13, 2013, 02:03:13 AM »
This is probably the wrong place to ask it, but I have a question related to Applocale and Fangames.

I want to play a demo of a certain Fangame, Touhou Rhythm Carnival. Do I have to use Applocale to set my language to Japanese to play it? I don't want to do this all over again, so if the answer is yes, then I will avoid downloading the demo.
Just making sure that people see it.  :derp:

<Tengukami> Please don't do this.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:24:41 AM by Tengukami »
"I'll give you old-timey, you mountebank!"

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #445 on: March 13, 2013, 08:28:48 AM »
PoDD has nine endings. One for each character. Likewise, MS has four, though there's also an ending for the Extra stage with each character. I'm guessing you just looked at the number of songs and that confused you. In MS, one song is used for the regular endings and the other for the Extra endings. In PoDD, each ending just uses one of the three songs.
I'm aware that 3 has nine different endings from each of the nine characters, but why are the ending themes divided into common, daytime, and nighttime?  Are you saying that the endings have random themes every time?  Also, the second good ending theme is Mystic Square's extra ending, right?

Just want to clarify things...

Thanks in advance!
They moved into Eientei before the Great Hakurei Barrier was created. Reisen moved in around the time of the Apollo missions. If you're counting Tewi, she's probably been there since rabbits first evolved.
Because Touhou Soccer made up a cool attack for her. :V
And because of this, several people thought Mima actually knows this move in the official games.  I'm one of those people...  :blush:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:31:10 AM by game2011 »

Zil

« Reply #446 on: March 13, 2013, 10:31:21 AM »
I'm aware that 3 has nine different endings from each of the nine characters, but why are the ending themes divided into common, daytime, and nighttime?  Are you saying that the endings have random themes every time?  Also, the second good ending theme is Mystic Square's extra ending, right?
Oh, what I said about PoDD is actually wrong. They all use two themes, the first one being Dream of Eternity. Then during the second half of the ending (after Yumemi gives the character whatever they asked for), one of the other two themes plays. For Mima and Kana, it's Eternal Full Moon. Everyone else gets Eastern Blue Sky. It's not random.

(And I guess if you want to be overly accurate, Love of Magical Chimes plays very briefly at the start of most of them, until Chiyuri hits Yumemi with a chair. Chiyuri and Yumemi's own endings are the only exceptions to that, I think.)

I don't remember which song is which in Mystic Square, and I don't have time to check now, but I'd assume the second is the Extra Ending, yeah.

You should probably ask it in Tech Support in the Help Me Eirin section.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:35:42 AM by Zil »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #447 on: March 23, 2013, 02:46:12 AM »
Hmmm today I was watching one EoSD 90fps video and I noticed that Daiyousei can use teleport, so I wondered myself, "which abilities does she have"? Looking the wiki I didn't found anything about it so...

1- Which are her abilities?
2- Is there a rank of the strongest fairies? Like "Cirno - Daiyousei - Sunnny, etc".
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

« Reply #448 on: March 23, 2013, 03:33:02 AM »
Cirno is the strongest (self-proclaimed). That's really all we know.

Drake

« Reply #449 on: March 23, 2013, 04:29:37 AM »
1. none in particular
2. no

cirno sort of canonically won against the three fairies but it doesn't really mean anything