Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer  (Read 270857 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer
« Reply #360 on: February 05, 2013, 02:10:32 AM »
I think this is a Japanese Touhou wiki, anyway.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #361 on: February 05, 2013, 02:18:30 AM »
Most Japanese Touhou wikis are slightly older than the English Touhou Wiki. The THWiki.info one is sort of a central hub and hosts the Touhou popularity poll, which while unofficial, did attract ZUN himself to vote in it once (he voted Reimu, Youmu, Mokou and Yukari).

The Moto-Neta wiki specializes in researching the cultural references in Touhou.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 02:20:21 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #362 on: February 05, 2013, 04:08:58 AM »
What was the reaction among fans when Mima appeared on the cover of Akyu's Untouched Score vol.4?

Thanks in advance!

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #363 on: February 05, 2013, 09:33:40 PM »
How Watatsuki and Houraisan are connected? They don't seem to be relatives, though, both families are leads of the Moon.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Drake

« Reply #364 on: February 05, 2013, 11:31:49 PM »
I don't think all of the princesses are stated to be descendants of one particular figure, so I don't think they necessarily have to be directly related somehow. The Watatsuki are clearly in reference to the daughters of the dragon god Watatsumi, named Toyotama-hime and Tamayori-hime. Kaguya is said to have been a princess, but nothing is said about her lineage, and her family name is never stated in her backstory. Because of this, and because Mount Hourai is both unimportant to the Lunarians and the namesake of the Hourai Elixir, I think it's likely that the name Houraisan is one Kaguya took on herself.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #365 on: February 10, 2013, 02:28:07 AM »
New question; What does Last Remote even mean?

This question isn't new, once I made this question here :V but @cuc's answer is the best that I've seen.

I have a question,  is there some site or video showing a list of "defensive behaviors" from the Touhou bosses in the game? I don't know the correct word so I am calling it of "defensive behavior". It is the state that some bosses enter when you go to some place that can cheat the spellcard, some examples of this are:
* When you try to stay close of Kaguya in her "Buddhist Diamond" spellcard, she starts to shoot blue arrowheads;
* When you stay at the top of the screen on Marisa's "Love Storm - Starlight Typhoon" she starts to shoot very fast aimed stars;
* When you try to stay close of  Keine in her "Three Sacred Treasures - Mirror "spellcard, she starts to shoot purple bullets;
* etc

If it does not exist I think that it could be interesting to create one list of these behaviors :P
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Drake

« Reply #366 on: February 10, 2013, 03:32:28 AM »
Tewi uses this attack as well. It mostly seems like something IN has; I can't think of any other game that has that sort of explicit safespot covering. Perhaps IN's pattern design was just lazy :V

Zil

« Reply #367 on: February 10, 2013, 04:04:36 AM »
Yuyuko's first nonspell does it in PCB. I only know that from watching a tool assisted superplay. And maybe Remilia's second nonspell does it? Only by speeding up some bullets or something. It is mostly IN though, yeah. What's odd is that some of these really don't have safespots. There's no way you'd be able to stay up there anyway.

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #368 on: February 10, 2013, 04:24:52 AM »
I know a few of them. Mostly forgot them as I was typing, though.

Kogasa will ram you in if you get on top of her during the bubble like spellcard.

Futo will slowly glide upward if you try to get on top of her while she's on her nice bort.

If it does not exist I think that it could be interesting to create one list of these behaviors :P

I actually really like the idea.

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #369 on: February 10, 2013, 04:38:47 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think normal version of Yoshika has something like that. If you get to close to her during her first card, she'll shoot out that ring of big, red bullets at the very start of the card. 

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

Tengukami

« Reply #370 on: February 10, 2013, 01:08:48 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think normal version of Yoshika has something like that. If you get to close to her during her first card, she'll shoot out that ring of big, red bullets at the very start of the card.

Just fired up TD to try this out. She does indeed have personal space issues ...

Thirding the interest in a list of such bosses who flip out when you try to be slick, and what they do.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Delfigamer

« Reply #371 on: February 10, 2013, 02:57:50 PM »
UB: all bosses don't like close contact.
IN:
* When you try to stay close of Kaguya in her "Buddhist Diamond" spellcard, she starts to shoot blue arrowheads;
* When you stay at the top of the screen on Marisa's "Love Storm - Starlight Typhoon" she starts to shoot very fast aimed stars;
* When you try to stay close of  Keine in her "Three Sacred Treasures - Mirror "spellcard, she starts to shoot purple bullets;
* Mystia. In her second spellcard she also likes to shot extra danmaku after destruction of her familiars.
* Yoshika, if you kill her during Seiga's first spell, will emit dense circle during her rivival.
* Seiga again, after killing the zombie in third non-spell, will throw more knives.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #372 on: February 10, 2013, 03:05:49 PM »
What means UB? :V

Hmmm maybe it's a good idea to create a topic about this list to get some help to gather this information? What title would be good for it? "TARC" or "Help me Eirin"? We need an official word to define this behavior. After I could put this list on the wiki, make a video or something like.
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Tengukami

« Reply #373 on: February 10, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »
What means UB? :V

Hmmm maybe it's a good idea to create a topic about this list to get some help to gather this information? What title would be good for it? "TARC" or "Help me Eirin"? We need an official word to define this behavior. After I could put this list on the wiki, make a video or something like.

I recommend HME, as it relates to gameplay as opposed to fan stuff.

Delfigamer

« Reply #375 on: February 13, 2013, 10:32:01 PM »
Is there a reason ZUN likes Alice so much?
There's Alice Maestra, Shanghai Alice of Meiji 17, or even Team Shanghai Alice, then Alice in Wonderland, the Grimoire of Alice, and of course Alice Margatroid herself. One of the few characters he deemed worthy of being brought back from PC-98, being "a little special", as he says in his comment for Doll Judgment, and apparently she was also playable in the IaMP and SWR demos, and also present in Soku. etc. etc. you know it
I have the creeping feeling the answer as simple as "he likes the name Alice and she was designed for him to like her" (aya much), but apparently he didn't vote for her in the one (confirmed) popularity poll he partook in.
But yeah, what is with ZUN and Alice?
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #376 on: February 14, 2013, 12:34:35 AM »
Any Pre-Alice Margatroid use of Alice was mostly him just using the name because he happens to find it pretty. It's not even related to the character.

Then, from the Alice Margatroid herself and onward, I have no idea. Are we even supposed to be surprised at the random characters' appearances? Sakuya and Sanae both randomly became playable, as did Youmu in TD, and PoFV's character roster was utter nonsense. I think it's safe to say ZUN doesn't actually plan ahead and just sticks who he wants in what he wants.

Aya was an exception, since she was made to allow him to make photography games instead of shooters, which is great in my opinion. (For I loved them.)

« Reply #377 on: February 15, 2013, 06:06:58 AM »
Sakuya and Sanae both randomly became playable, as did Youmu in TD, and PoFV's character roster was utter nonsense.

I don't think it is all that random. If you look at the games, playable characters are stage 5 bosses and human. This includes Marisa as well. Well, I should say boss prior to the final boss.

Fighting games and Phantasmagoria games have a bigger roster, so you have non-human playable characters as well. I guess Imperishable Night would be an exception in that you have a human/youkai team.

Keegster2

• Green shroom
  • The guy that was dead for like 5 years
« Reply #378 on: February 16, 2013, 06:08:05 AM »
I know this is probably the wrong place to ask this, but are there any Free Downloadable Touhou Fangames? (I don't know if I should ask this here or Akyu's Arcade.)
"I'll give you old-timey, you mountebank!"

Drake

« Reply #379 on: February 16, 2013, 06:43:00 AM »
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Fangames
There are a bunch in here, but you'll have to find out which are FTP by going to the author site. The browser games are all free, obviously.

Keegster2

• Green shroom
  • The guy that was dead for like 5 years
« Reply #380 on: February 16, 2013, 07:12:54 AM »
While I have checked a couple of pages, it's gonna take too long to read every page. all I need is just a short list of every free game.
"I'll give you old-timey, you mountebank!"

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #381 on: February 16, 2013, 04:40:57 PM »
How does ZUN make sound effects?

« Reply #382 on: February 16, 2013, 11:06:44 PM »
While I have checked a couple of pages, it's gonna take too long to read every page. all I need is just a short list of every free game.

You know, it'd take just as much effort for someone else to check the wiki and make a list as it would for you.

Delfigamer

« Reply #383 on: February 17, 2013, 06:13:15 AM »
How does ZUN make sound effects?
I wonder if he use Cubase for that as well.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #384 on: February 17, 2013, 04:30:43 PM »
Is there any solid confirmation by Zun that Ichirin is a Wanyudo or Katawa-Guruma?

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Drake

« Reply #385 on: February 17, 2013, 11:32:22 PM »
I just did a quick check over Ichirin's material and found nothing, so I'm assuming whoever put that up there used her naming scheme or guesses as reference, which is not okay to put up on a wiki. I've removed it for the time being and put up a talk section in case there is a valid reason.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #386 on: February 18, 2013, 01:35:41 AM »
I just did a quick check over Ichirin's material and found nothing, so I'm assuming whoever put that up there used her naming scheme or guesses as reference, which is not okay to put up on a wiki. I've removed it for the time being and put up a talk section in case there is a valid reason.

Thank you. And If you did that, then please do the same to Konngara's species. On the wiki, it says she is a "yaksha" which I found to be pretty stupid, because there's no official text about her at all saying such a thing (at least I could find nothing myself)

Whoever put that up was just basing on the "assumption" that she is a reference to Kongara Douji, Whose is one of Fudo Myo-o's eight great youths. But apart from her name showing up on the credits screen (Which isn't even on official kana), and the fact that she is an "Astral Knight", she is nothing more than just a random being in Jigoku with no Backstory or Dialogue whatsoever to work with. So, we can't confirm if she has any sort of connection with Fudo Myo-o or not (We don't even know if the latter exists in touhou universe to begin with). Besides, the only source saying that the original Kongara Douji is a Yaksha, is just a small passage of JAANUS, So, there are no other available material confirming the same statement for that matter.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Drake

« Reply #387 on: February 18, 2013, 02:09:03 AM »
Having [citation needed] is enough, since unlike Ichirin, people are less susceptible to running around claiming she's X type of youkai, and overall it's less important. What I did change was the reference, since it was directly implying Konngara (as in the character) is the yaksha, rather than the intended implication of Kongara Douji. Hopefully this would remove any confusion.

« Reply #388 on: February 18, 2013, 10:06:19 AM »
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Ten_Desires/Story/Reimu%27s_Scenario#Stage_5
Is Toyosatomimi no Miko actually the crown prince or the crown princess?

« Reply #389 on: February 18, 2013, 07:09:58 PM »
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Ten_Desires/Story/Reimu%27s_Scenario#Stage_5
Is Toyosatomimi no Miko actually the crown prince or the crown princess?

The original text is gender-neutral, so it really depends on whatever you decide Miko should be.