Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer  (Read 270870 times)

Drake

Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer
« Reply #180 on: December 10, 2012, 10:11:36 PM »
I thought Rumia, basically, represents human's fear of darkness. So, she cannot actually manipulate light, but she can worsen human's light perceiving on psychological level.
That seems weird when you consider you can see her big blob of darkness floating around, and how light doesn't pass through it. I think it's better off to assume it "absorbs" the light in whatever fashion, since that's what's been shown. She also mentions it's cooler while inside the blob.
But of course how her ability works shouldn't matter whatsoever.

So how about creating a "Explaining Gensokyo through physics and science" or something, eh
how about no and never please :c
EDIT: why
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:14:24 PM by Drakums »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2012, 12:54:44 AM »
how about no and never please :c
EDIT: why
Pick one:

- Magic
- Yukari's fooling around again
- It's a Moriya Shrine conspiracy
- Because your suffering strengthen us
- Because it doesn't matter that the  explanation for how a character's power work doesn't matter; trying to guess it using real physics is fun in a ridiculous sort of way. You may not enjoy it, but don't be the "stop having fun" guy for the rest of us, mmmkay~
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #182 on: December 11, 2012, 01:02:16 AM »
- Because it doesn't matter that the  explanation for how a character's power work doesn't matter; trying to guess it using real physics is fun in a ridiculous sort of way.

I actually have to agree. I mean, I answer things like ''Rumia absorbs light'' and ''Sakuya stops air particles'', but I'm in no way serious in the sense that I believe that "THIS IS THE EXPLANATION."

I mean, we all know the explanation to everything Touhou-related is pretty much "Because."

Drake

« Reply #183 on: December 11, 2012, 05:56:20 AM »
Pff there are sillier threads than that on TARC. I think the major reason I'm opposed to it is that you're taking serious and complex principles that are very very likely going to be thrown around completely haphazardly with major errors everywhere just to strap them to something silly, which itself defeats the purpose of using that more serious and strict context to explain silly things. Regardless, I can express my disapproval of it all I want but as long as it's in some not-serious-thread that I can avoid there isn't any problem. Just stop having fun in this thread >:C

also templates like that are forbidden

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #184 on: December 11, 2012, 08:45:52 AM »
Now that that's settled, does anyone know the origin of that one particular depiction of Eirin, where she looks rather like a sausage painted to look like Eirin?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #185 on: December 11, 2012, 09:14:27 AM »
It's called ヤゴコロ "Doctor Yagokoro", often seen with a leek in hand. Fan works generally treat it as a separate character from Eirin.

It's based on one of those the 2ch emoticon characters. This one stands for tsumari つまり "that is to say".

Source:
Nicovideo encyclopedia
http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E3%83%A4%E3%82%B4%E3%82%B3%E3%83%AD

Pixiv encyclopedia
http://dic.pixiv.net/a/%E3%83%A4%E3%82%B4%E3%82%B3%E3%83%AD

Due to Touhou's prevalence in NicoNico and Pixiv, both encyclopedia are actually very good sources of Touhou reference, containing much info not found on THWiki.info and Touhou Moto-Neta wiki.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:19:20 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Drake

« Reply #186 on: December 11, 2012, 09:28:58 AM »
I've never really found thwiki.info and moto-neta to contain much information that we don't already know, so pretty much they're good for double-checking.
dic.nico on the other hand is almost directly died with how the fandom has evolved, so in general it's a very good resource for finding out "what does thing I've seen in videos/in images/on 2ch mean and how did it come to be". It's in japanese of course (and so are the names of the character/phenomenon to search), so unfortunately it's sort of difficult for most people to check whenever they want.

Swiftwater

• Licking sweet bean paste, filled with sweet bean paste!!
  • You can even taste it on the outside...
« Reply #187 on: December 11, 2012, 10:31:27 AM »
Where can I get a pasuhead?
 ???

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #188 on: December 11, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
Where can I get a pasuhead?
 ???

Here http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,12837.0.html

I am not at my home now, later I can send one .png with the heads if you want it.
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #189 on: December 12, 2012, 08:50:04 AM »
I didn't think about this till a friend brought it up today while looking at a wall scroll on my wall of most of the Touhou cast. He asked me where the design for what ZUN's characters wear came from and I was completely stumped.

Some of the characters clothes make perfect sense. Sakuya and Reimu's clothes are the typical uniform for what they do, maid and shrine maiden respectively. The characters that prompted the question were mainly Ran, Yuyuko, Yugi, and Patchouli. I think he was looking at the strange hats/horn.

Does ZUN look at loli fashion magazines for inspiration? Does he come up with it on his own (if this is the case I'm seriously impressed)? What do you guys think, why does ZUN have such impeccable style for his characters?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:11:26 AM by Zirene »

Drake

« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2012, 09:51:33 AM »
I seriously think he just doodles whatever the heck he wants. Some are clearly inspired by some sort of style, but all of ZUN's designs clearly carry his own style, and I don't think many of his designs are really indicative of coming from anywhere else. To have so many characters following the same sort of overall style would take a lot of effort if most were looking through magazines or something. The items of clothing, however, vary between "this is a real piece of clothing that represents something about the character" and "this is a silly hat". Ran's clothes in particular likely are similar to some other real piece of clothing. Yuyuko does wear a kimono of sorts. Patchouli uh wears some pajamas or something. I'm fairly certain Yuugi had literally no inspiration or theme though, and I'm trying to remember if this was stated at the same time he talked about her transparent skirt.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:57:44 AM by Drakums »

Swiftwater

• Licking sweet bean paste, filled with sweet bean paste!!
  • You can even taste it on the outside...
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2012, 10:44:05 AM »
Here http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,12837.0.html

I am not at my home now, later I can send one .png with the heads if you want it.

Oh yes please do.

« Reply #192 on: December 12, 2012, 11:32:58 AM »
Check out the profile for "Suika Ibuki rough" here: http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Suika_Ibuki#Official_Profiles
"She may not look very oni-like, but for me, chains are the mark of an oni (g)" - ZUN

Wikipedia adds a bit on that in the Kasen entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Touhou_Project_characters#Kasen_Ibara:
"However, because she supposedly has horns and her left wrist has a shackle, it might also be safe to assume that she is an Oni (ZUN once stated that for him, horns and shackles are the mark of Oni)."
although this goes uncited.

Then have a look at the fifth bullet point in the Trivia section here: http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Yuugi_Hoshiguma#Trivia
Sadly uncited as well, but it seems viable.
Another site gives the same info, talking about the same interview as well: http://graysonanimeclub.grou.ps/blogs/item/touhou-character-update-subterranean-animism-kisume-yamame-kurodani-parsee-mizuhashi-yuugi-hoshiguma-and-koishi-komeiji (scroll to the yuugi part)
Also states that the transparent skrit has no real point.

There was also a fansite that stated the geta she wears make her look even taller than she already is.

Hope this covers Yuugi a bit!
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #193 on: December 12, 2012, 07:17:59 PM »
On the subject of clothes, do the emblem on Shikieiki's hat actually mean anything, or is it there just to make it look silly pretty?
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Tengukami

« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2012, 08:16:41 PM »
It's called ヤゴコロ "Doctor Yagokoro", often seen with a leek in hand. Fan works generally treat it as a separate character from Eirin.

You don't say.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2012, 12:24:09 AM »
You don't say.
The part you highlighted may or may not be intended to be a joke.
On the subject of clothes, do the emblem on Shikieiki's hat actually mean anything, or is it there just to make it look silly pretty?
Eiki's hat is inspired by traditional Japanese depiction of King Yama (Enma-O), which is in turn based on some ancient Chinese hats for high-ranking officials, princes and emperors.

Note that in traditional depiction, the character written in the central plate of the hat is 王 "King", which is replaced by scales on Eiki's hat.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:47:10 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2012, 01:33:40 AM »
Oh yes please do.

There are some white colored hairs that became transparent, just draw a white line to close the head and fill it if you want to use some of them.
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6458/pasuheads.png
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2012, 04:08:35 AM »
Wondering this for a quite a while, even if it isn't related to Touhou whatsoever.

What is the history of the YOU WA BAN usergroup?
How and when did it happen? What is its purpose? Those kind of things.
Signature

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2012, 04:14:51 AM »
Far as I can gather it's a playful/in-jest mark of shame for sufficiently amusing/minor acts of stupidity/cluelessness.

Like not knowing who Bob Dylan is. :V

Tengukami

« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2012, 08:51:23 AM »
Far as I can gather it's a playful/in-jest mark of shame for sufficiently amusing/minor acts of stupidity/cluelessness.

Nope.

YOU WA BAN was created along side some other user groups as an actual group for banned people. But as user groups can be joined, a few people thought it would be funny to join the "banned" group.

Using it the way you describe was done once in recent memory (and that was for not knowing what Bohemian Rhapsody was, actually; Dylan was mentioned in the same post).

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »

Nope.

YOU WA BAN was created along side some other user groups as an actual group for banned people. But as user groups can be joined, a few people thought it would be funny to join the "banned" group.

Using it the way you describe was done once in recent memory (and that was for not knowing what Bohemian Rhapsody was, actually; Dylan was mentioned in the same post).
S-stop. H-how was I s-s-supposed to know who he i-is? Noone told m-me before :qq:

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2012, 01:37:51 PM »
By not being an American, maybe? To be honest, I didn't know what Dead Parrot was until March 2012.

So that's it? Someone made a usergroup to put in banned people and a few people decided to invite themselves?
What's the merit of being in such usergroups?
Signature

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »
So that's it? Someone made a usergroup to put in banned people and a few people decided to invite themselves?
What's the merit of being in such usergroups?
These usergroups are for just fun and serve almost no purpose.

Tengukami

« Reply #203 on: December 13, 2012, 01:57:31 PM »
These usergroups are for just fun and serve almost no purpose.

This is also wrong, very much so.

Guys, seriously, don't guess. If you don't know, just don't respond.

« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2012, 03:38:28 PM »
By not being an American, maybe? To be honest, I didn't know what Dead Parrot was until March 2012.

What's a Dead Parrot? Beyond the obvious 'a deceased bird', which I assume isn't the correct usage here.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2012, 03:58:56 PM »
What's a Dead Parrot? Beyond the obvious 'a deceased bird', which I assume isn't the correct usage here.

Something to do with either;
A: Monty Python.
Or B: PoFV.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »
This is also wrong, very much so.

Guys, seriously, don't guess. If you don't know, just don't respond.
Someone told me that once though... and anyway I meant some of the groups.

Tengukami

« Reply #207 on: December 13, 2012, 04:26:44 PM »
Someone told me that once though... and anyway I meant some of the groups.

Regardless, it doesn't really answer the question. I get that you're trying to be helpful, but vague or misleading answers just cause confusion. So let me try and amend this and actually answer the question:

Administrator is self-explanatory.
Gensokyo PD are mods.
Acolytes are in charge of a particular board, and serve to bring the voice of the users of that board to the staff.
Shrine Janitors deal with menial tasks like merging topics, approving posts, making edits when needed and so on.
Librarians mod PSL.
Resident Artist are noteworthy contributors to AAA.
Atelier Idol, Wordsmith, and Godmother are those who have gone above and beyond at AAA, PSL and RPG respectively.
Spechul Memba have gone above and beyond for the site as a whole.
Bunbunmaru Staff write up news.
The Idiots are a part of those competitions you see in the Colliseum.

That's pretty much it.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #208 on: December 13, 2012, 04:30:05 PM »
What is the Yellow Member tag for?

Ditto with Mascot.

Tengukami

« Reply #209 on: December 13, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »
Kilga.