Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer  (Read 270855 times)

AnonymousPondScum

Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer
« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2012, 07:12:51 AM »
There's a reason Fanfiction.net is nicknamed The Pit.

Obligatory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO3xam9dHSY

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2012, 07:14:27 AM »
Obligatory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO3xam9dHSY

This is so incredibly fitting, I'm just sitting there, speechless.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2012, 07:35:39 AM »
This is so incredibly fitting, I'm just sitting there, speechless.

Now I'm imagining you channelling Ganonderp's voice while you and Hinacle tear into that bad fanfic.

I'm okay with this.

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2012, 07:52:03 AM »
Not trying to boast here, but sometimes I think I'm one of the few people in FF.net who takes fan fictions seriously and try to come up with original stuff.  Admittedly, most of my stories are adapted from or inspired by existing medias and storyline, even other author/ess' stories...

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2012, 07:54:28 AM »
Not trying to boast here, but sometimes I think I'm one of the few people in FF.net who takes fan fictions seriously and try to come up with original stuff.  Admittedly, most of my stories are adapted from or inspired by existing medias and storyline, even other author/ess' stories...

Well if it makes you feel better I eagerly await Yayifications' every update in Patchouli's Scarlet Library with bated breath. :3

Also, Dante's Inferno = Bible fanfic, the BEST Bible fanfic.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2012, 08:03:50 AM »

Fanfiction.net's population:

50 % Mary Sues / Gary Stues who are like ''OMG IM SUCH A GEWD RITER LEWK''

25 % ''I was drunk /stoned while writing this / I wrote this crazy thing'' and it's hilarious as hell

25 % serious stories without pretention, and 50 % of that 25 % are good stories.

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2012, 08:07:04 AM »
Admittedly, most of my stories are adapted from or inspired by existing medias and storyline, even other author/ess' stories...
Still, I think is more original and creative than the aforementioned kinds of stories.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2012, 08:11:03 AM »
Hey, I actually have a question.

Why does most Touhou videos end up getting a ''What anime is this?'' comment? I mean, it's fine thinking that it's an anime at first but, how come SO many people haven't heard of google?

game2011

• magneiptVE
« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2012, 08:21:18 AM »
Perhaps it's the character design and the way the art style looks in most videos make it look like something you find in anime?

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2012, 08:27:22 AM »
maybe because all three of these things are intrinsically linked somehow!!!!!

Haha, wonderful answer, you may picture me clapping my hands.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2012, 02:17:17 PM »
"What anime is this?" is an ancient troll comment most of the time. The art style of many fan works can also be anime-ish.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2012, 06:40:05 PM »
If you cloned Kyouko and put both Kyoukos in a room and got one of them to echo, could you get some sweet Jimi Hendrix-style feedback loops going?

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »
Hey, I actually have a question.

Why does most Touhou videos end up getting a ''What anime is this?'' comment? I mean, it's fine thinking that it's an anime at first but, how come SO many people haven't heard of google?

There's a reason lmgtfy.com has to exist. Many people are rather... poor at looking up their own answers to things. Heck, most of what passes for my job wouldn't exist if people thought to just use Google themselves, so that's okay by me!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:04:09 PM by Goldom »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2012, 11:23:47 AM »
Hmmm I am without time to read ZUN's books/manga about Touhou-universe for while, so if this question's answer is in some of these ones sorry :P

Are that snakes from Sanae's hair or Nue's arm alive? And that snakes are very similar, does exist some relationship between them?
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2012, 11:25:18 AM »
Sanae's hair, no. Nue's outfit, sorta---not sure if they're separate entities or just living pieces of herself or what. And no, no real connection, aside from Sanae naturally fighting Nue in that route of UFO's EX stage.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2012, 02:51:47 PM »
Sanae's snake is probably alive. It hissed in Reimu's face in one early chapter of WaHH. However, you can also interpret that "hiss" as figurative rather than literal.

There's also ZUN's circle cut drawing for Comiket 82, in which Sanae mistook real animals for her accessories. On the other hand, we can argue that the snake has always been real, and only her hairpin got replaced by a real frog in that pic.

See? The ambiguity in Touhou is everywhere down to the smallest details.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2012, 03:02:28 PM »
Thanks for the answers, I was reading some random page at "Character Musics and their personalities" and I found this :P

The snake isn't a Kanako reference. The mythical Nue does have a snake for a tail (not just a snake's tail) but having it coming from her butt would be a bit too indecent (see also Utsuho and her 'third leg').
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2012, 04:54:06 PM »
I was browsing the Touhou Hisoutensoku Wiki, namely the Hong Meiling article (Seriously, go read it, especially the skill and spell cards) and is there a reason Meiling has all those insanely manly poses?

No seriously, either it's a reference or the spriter had a lot of fun because all of her spellcards make her do some sort of powerful manly hero pose and face.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2012, 01:14:22 AM »
First, many of Meiling's poses are simply real martial arts moves.

Second, Meiling in the fighting games is a joke character in the tradition of Dan Hibiki. She may make as many grand gestures and heroic faces as she wants, but she's still a goofy person with a fighting style not suited for Gensokyo. The two poses she often assumes in her Story Mode, "standing with wind blowing" and "uppercut", are both references to Dan and Ryu.

I'm not an expert in either martial arts or fighting game history. Someone more enlightened should be able to tell you more, such as the real world names and purposes of her moves.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2012, 01:31:43 AM »
Aah, I didn't get the references of her poses. And I always thought she lost her joke character status in UNL, as she's much better now, but I guess there's still some left overs.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2012, 04:07:21 AM »
Aah, I didn't get the references of her poses. And I always thought she lost her joke character status in UNL, as she's much better now, but I guess there's still some left overs.

Well, she's tougher than Cirno in that regard, but she's still not highest-tier.

But who cares about tiers when you can uppercut your buddy off the top of the screen? :V

EDIT: Some of Meiling's attacks are based off of Yun, for the curious.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:47:46 AM by Purple-haired Pacifistic Pasuhead »

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2012, 10:49:54 AM »
First, many of Meiling's poses are simply real martial arts moves.

Second, Meiling in the fighting games is a joke character in the tradition of Dan Hibiki. She may make as many grand gestures and heroic faces as she wants, but she's still a goofy person with a fighting style not suited for Gensokyo. The two poses she often assumes in her Story Mode, "standing with wind blowing" and "uppercut", are both references to Dan and Ryu.

I'm not an expert in either martial arts or fighting game history. Someone more enlightened should be able to tell you more, such as the real world names and purposes of her moves.

Someone hasn't played Soku yet have they? :P

And I wasn't sure where else to post this but I was thinking that, if the youkai in touhou took on there apperances as based on the mythology theyre based on, what would magician youkai look like, then I figured theyd probibly remain humanlike, since theyre suppose to be simmilar to humans, but just very proficciant with magic, yet physically weaker than humans, which got me thinking, "Since Youkai Magician's are generally weaker than humans physically, due to working with mercury if memory serves, would, say for example, if a stronger than average human punched Patchouli as hard as he could, would she actually get hurt due to having a physically weak body, or would she shrug it off like any other Youkai? Bit of a brain scratcher when you think about it. (or to me it is anyway :V)
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2012, 11:06:34 AM »
They might be more fragile but OTOH since they fueled by magic I imagine all they need to repair themselves is time and mana.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #143 on: December 07, 2012, 11:26:45 AM »
"Since Youkai Magician's are generally weaker than humans physically, due to working with mercury if memory serves, would, say for example, if a stronger than average human punched Patchouli as hard as he could, would she actually get hurt due to having a physically weak body, or would she shrug it off like any other Youkai? Bit of a brain scratcher when you think about it. (or to me it is anyway :V)

Don't really think this question is definitively answerable or serious.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2012, 12:16:37 AM »
My random, entirely baseless guess is that it's easier to physically harm them compared to other youkai, but they'd still be able to regenerate from the injuries quickly.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:19:47 AM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Drake

« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2012, 03:17:55 AM »
If we're going all speculative I'd guess that any smart magician would have put up some effortless magical barrier than protects them from physical assault.
If you're able to ask these sorts of questions, chances are they've already thought of it. Magicians are probably smarter than you :P

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #146 on: December 08, 2012, 03:58:26 AM »
If we're going all speculative I'd guess that any smart magician would have put up some effortless magical barrier than protects them from physical assault.
Isn't this what basically everyone does in the fighting games when defending
I never really did understand what was that translucent wall Sakuya summons out of thin air, must be a magic barrier that Patchy taught her then  :V
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #147 on: December 08, 2012, 04:19:07 AM »
Don't really think this question is definitively answerable or serious.
Actually, it was a serious question, although I was incredibly sleep deprived when I posed it, so I was probibly thinking WAY too much into it :V

I really need to stop letting my mind wander when I'm getting ready for bed one of these days  :derp:
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

« Reply #148 on: December 08, 2012, 06:42:59 AM »
I never really did understand what was that translucent wall Sakuya summons out of thin air, must be a magic barrier that Patchy taught her then 

Could well be, it isn't like Sakuya doesn't know magic. Patchouli did teach Remilia a lot of "useless" information.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #149 on: December 08, 2012, 05:43:36 PM »
I never really did understand what was that translucent wall Sakuya summons out of thin air, must be a magic barrier that Patchy taught her then  :V

It has bothered me for a while, so I just figured she created a wall of condensed time-stopped air particles, hence the glow. (Like her knives have when they're affected by Sakuya's powers  :derp:)

That's a (somewhat) silly theory though.