Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)  (Read 47716 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)
« Reply #210 on: August 05, 2012, 02:36:00 AM »
>"My job does need me to be pretty mobile after all. I'm looking to getting back to work once I've got my little problem fixed, and I've had a breather."
>Grin. "That, and I just like it that way."

>Neu gives you a curious look for another moment or two, then her antennae flutter in a gesture that reminds you oddly of a shrug. "Well, I suppose I can point you towards a reasonably-priced shop or two. They can actually be a little hard to find in Val Razua. The city has some of the best tailors in the world, but their prices aren't exactly set with ordinary people in mind. As for sightseeing..." She frowns slightly. "I'm not sure I'm the best tour guide, I'm afraid. Well, there's certainly no shortage of things to see in the city; I suppose it depends on what you're interested in."

« Reply #211 on: August 05, 2012, 02:42:20 AM »
Reccomendation: Qipao. Longer skirts, optional sleeves, without sacrificing mobility. Though I admit to some bias.

>Ponder if those antennae motions are unconscious or not.
>"Truth to tell, not sure what I'm interested in yet, either, outside what we've discussed before. No, wait, that's a lie, there is at least one thing I want to look up while I'm here, if I have the time, and that's records of shipwrecks over the past couple decades." Pause. "There's a friend of mine that needs some information. If I can get it while I'm here the first time, more's the better."

« Reply #212 on: August 05, 2012, 02:51:20 AM »
>Ponder if those antennae motions are unconscious or not.
>"Truth to tell, not sure what I'm interested in yet, either, outside what we've discussed before. No, wait, that's a lie, there is at least one thing I want to look up while I'm here, if I have the time, and that's records of shipwrecks over the past couple decades." Pause. "There's a friend of mine that needs some information. If I can get it while I'm here the first time, more's the better."

>She doesn't seem to be paying obvious attention to them, at any rate.
>Neu frowns. "Shipwrecks? May I ask what for?"

« Reply #213 on: August 05, 2012, 03:06:26 AM »
>"It's a bit of a long story. The short version is, one of my friends... Well, my best friend, really, survived a shipwreck of the coast of Estval when she was just a kid. She was brought to the orphanage where I was living at after I ascended. We grew up together."
>"But because she was so young when it happened, she doesn't remember her family. Between her and Ichirin- the woman who raised us, in case I hadn't mentioned her before- they've tried everything that was available on that continent to find some information on that ship, its passengers, anything. And even after all this time, Orange's no closer than when she started. That's my friends' name, by the way."
>"I thought that, maybe the ship might have set out from Val Razua, or stopped over there. Or maybe they might have some kind of record that Braston didn't. If not answers, maybe a clue, at least."

« Reply #214 on: August 05, 2012, 03:31:11 AM »
>"It's a bit of a long story. The short version is, one of my friends... Well, my best friend, really, survived a shipwreck of the coast of Estval when she was just a kid. She was brought to the orphanage where I was living at after I ascended. We grew up together."
>"But because she was so young when it happened, she doesn't remember her family. Between her and Ichirin- the woman who raised us, in case I hadn't mentioned her before- they've tried everything that was available on that continent to find some information on that ship, its passengers, anything. And even after all this time, Orange's no closer than when she started. That's my friends' name, by the way."
>"I thought that, maybe the ship might have set out from Val Razua, or stopped over there. Or maybe they might have some kind of record that Braston didn't. If not answers, maybe a clue, at least."

>Neu's frown remains virtually fixed as you describe Orange's situation and the shipwreck that left her in it.
>"If that ship had a stopover here," she says, "they should have logged a flight plan with the port authority. But if it was many years ago, I can't guarantee the records still exist. Do you have any information about this ship at all? A name, or at least the make of it? Where did it crash?"

« Reply #215 on: August 05, 2012, 03:43:00 AM »
>"Well, we know were Orange was found, and roughly when, so that's something. But, the name of the ship, the make, the model? Nothing. There wasn't even much wreckage left in the area she was found, not enough to identify the specific type of ship, and no mention of a name at all."

« Reply #216 on: August 05, 2012, 04:05:52 AM »
>"Well, we know were Orange was found, and roughly when, so that's something. But, the name of the ship, the make, the model? Nothing. There wasn't even much wreckage left in the area she was found, not enough to identify the specific type of ship, and no mention of a name at all."

>Neu's face is grim. "And no other survivors, I assume? Or even victims with identification, I suppose."

« Reply #217 on: August 05, 2012, 04:18:26 AM »
>"If there were any other survivors, they were never found, at least not to my knowledge. No bodies, either. As far as we know, Orange is the only soul from that ship that was ever accounted for, one way or the other."
>"I gotta be honest with you here, Neu, I think that the bulk of the ship may have fallen into the abyss." Lean forward against the rail, this is heavy stuff. "That it was only a bit of luck that saved Orange at all. Otherwise, there'd have been more debris, and more... Well, maybe not survivors, but at least more remains."

« Reply #218 on: August 05, 2012, 04:37:08 AM »
>"If there were any other survivors, they were never found, at least not to my knowledge. No bodies, either. As far as we know, Orange is the only soul from that ship that was ever accounted for, one way or the other."
>"I gotta be honest with you here, Neu, I think that the bulk of the ship may have fallen into the abyss." Lean forward against the rail, this is heavy stuff. "That it was only a bit of luck that saved Orange at all. Otherwise, there'd have been more debris, and more... Well, maybe not survivors, but at least more remains."

>Neu's antenna fold back and she gives you a slightly awkward, but sympathetic look. "Unfortunate. In several senses." Her eyes take on a distant look, then she shakes her head. "In absence of more information, all I can think to suggest at the moment is check with the port authority for the place and time you think the crash took place. Perhaps they can trace it back to a specific ship."
>She pauses, and seems to consider something, then speaks in a cautious tone. "Complete disappearances like that are rare. Normally I'd think this would work in your favor, but if previous efforts have-" She shakes her head. "Never mind; it's no matter. The port authority still seems the most sensible course of action."

« Reply #219 on: August 05, 2012, 04:49:12 AM »
>Raise an eyebrow. Previous efforts?
>"Have you... tried this before, yourself?"

« Reply #220 on: August 05, 2012, 04:55:25 AM »
>Raise an eyebrow. Previous efforts?
>"Have you... tried this before, yourself?"

>"No, I meant Orange and Ichirin's efforts," she says, shaking her head. "In any case, it's not important."

« Reply #221 on: August 05, 2012, 05:02:30 AM »
>Nod slowly.
>"As you wish."

« Reply #222 on: August 05, 2012, 06:15:10 AM »
>Nod slowly.
>"As you wish."

>With nothing further said on the matter, Neu gives you directions to some clothing shops southwest of the city's canal district; no pen and paper is handy to write them down this time, but you think you can trust your memory to keep them straight.

>The Maiden continues its course down the cloistered passage, turning right and then left again as it navigates the space between the two sheer cliffs. The passage forks at several points, with great walls of angular rock giving way to open space as you pass beyond their edge. Signs etched into the rock and the colorful banners flanking them suggest many of these passages lead to private docks aligned with specific noble houses; these effectively amount to naval bases, so Neu says, given the lack of centralization in Val Razua's military, though some also use them for pleasure craft or the ocassional surreptitious cargo delivery. Quite a few of the branches in the passage are practically invisible until you're nearly upon them, so it is almost without warning that the Maiden turns another bend and the whole of Val Razua is laid out before you.

>It... Well, you knew it was big, but it's... big! The land ahead of you sweeps down into a large shallow valley that extends nearly as far as you can see, and so very much of it is filled with city - building upon building in all shapes and sizes, clustered tightly together in places and spread expansively in others, punctuated by bands of dark blue and manicured green. It's still too far away to make out many individual details, but the sheer scale takes a few moments to absorb. Even at a glance you can pick out buildings both taller and wider than anything in Braston - stone monuments and expansive mansions and spires that pierce the sky like ornamented spears. Broad roads in fine stone fan out from a central rise and spread in all directions, tightly uniform at first, then increasingly meandering. This seems to be a general pattern, you note, with the largest and most ostentatious buildings dominating the heart of the city and then growing steadily more modest as you approach the outskirts - give or take a few exceptions. A broad canal cuts an orderly arc across the western third of the city before giving way to an ambling river that flows beyond the city's edge and out of sight to the south.
>The sky above the city is alive with tiny figures darting to and fro, their wings merely suggestions at this distance. Ordinarily, the sheer number of them would be worthy of note, but at the moment their diminuative size serves only to reinforce the scale of the city around them. Even at this distance, the detailing of its architecture shines with artistic flourish. Quite literally in some cases, with sunlight gleaming brightly off polished metal in regal golds and warms bronzes. There is money here. So very much money. The contrast with the city you left behind is stark and unmistakable - nothing about these buildings was designed with utility foremost in mind. They were designed to impress. And wrly, you suppose they did a pretty good job at that - no one could take a look at this vista and retain a single doubt about the wealth and prosperity of Val Razua. Not a one.

>Far closer at hand, and actually somewhat removed from the bulk of the city itself, is the harbor. Built up all along the sides of the skyway are moorages and the infrastructure to service them, both more orderly and more picturesque than Braston's, though not nearly to the same degree as the city beyond. The layout makes it tricky to compare its capacity to Braston's at a glance, and you suspect the confines of the passage it's built in make maneuvering bulk transports trickier, too, but it clearly wasn't designed for them alone. There are airships of all kinds here, from the heavy cargo transports you're used to seeing to highly ornamented passenger liners and small pleasure craft - some of them quite expensive looking. Activity dockside looks comfortingly familiar, but is arguable even busier; far fewer oni, though. Actually, it's a bit strange to see so few of them around such a busy harbor.

>Signals are exchanged and orders shouted, and the Maiden starts to pull into one of the cargo moorages along the right edge of the passage. This is it. This is really it. You're here.

« Reply #223 on: August 05, 2012, 06:48:45 AM »
>All right, girl, don't get ahead of yourself. We ain't docked yet.
>Still, that's a biiiiiiiiig change from home up there....
>Not that we need to be in a big hurry to announce that, of course. Dying or no, still have our pride. So, we shall say simply, "Big place."

« Reply #224 on: August 05, 2012, 07:07:10 AM »
>All right, girl, don't get ahead of yourself. We ain't docked yet.
>Still, that's a biiiiiiiiig change from home up there....
>Not that we need to be in a big hurry to announce that, of course. Dying or no, still have our pride. So, we shall say simply, "Big place."

>You try to rein in your awe and give merely a brief, factual comment. You can manage that with a straight face, yes?
>"Indeed," Neu says.

>More orders are relayed and the deck springs into activity as the crew readies the ship to land. Mooring clamps are extended, and the edge of solid land draws tantalizingly close. Despite yourself, you can feel your heart beating just a little fast. Then there's a light thud as the Maiden slides firmly into place. The deck access ramp is lowered.
>Neu turns to you and bows her head politely. "Passage to Val Razua, as promised."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:20:52 AM by DracoOmega »

« Reply #225 on: August 05, 2012, 07:24:01 AM »
>Pat the ship's railings. This may have started off as just simple passage, but, we fought for this ship, bled for it. Bled for her crew, a crew we cared about. A crew we made enemies for. Pragmatic as we may be, leavings after all we've been though are... not as easy as we thought they'd be when we left Braston.
>But, it is time for us to depart. Our business and theirs are now going their separate ways.
>We DO have our pack with all our belongings on us, yes?

>But, perhaps, we should not before at least trying to satisfy at least one of the questions we never really got answered before we left
>First things first, though. Politeness. Return Neu's bow. "Despite everything that's happened, I've enjoyed my time with you and your crew. I hope this isn't the last we ever see of each other."
>"But... If it is, for one reason or the other, there's still one thing I'd like to know, if you don't mind me asking, Neu."

« Reply #226 on: August 05, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
>Pat the ship's railings. This may have started off as just simple passage, but, we fought for this ship, bled for it. Bled for her crew, a crew we cared about. A crew we made enemies for. Pragmatic as we may be, leavings after all we've been though are... not as easy as we thought they'd be when we left Braston.
>But, it is time for us to depart. Our business and theirs are now going their separate ways.
>We DO have our pack with all our belongings on us, yes?

>But, perhaps, we should not before at least trying to satisfy at least one of the questions we never really got answered before we left
>First things first, though. Politeness. Return Neu's bow. "Despite everything that's happened, I've enjoyed my time with you and your crew. I hope this isn't the last we ever see of each other."
>"But... If it is, for one reason or the other, there's still one thing I'd like to know, if you don't mind me asking, Neu."

>You pat the ship's rail, and reflect on the journey that brought you here. It wasn't at all what you expected when you left Braston, for good and ill, but now...
>You have some of your belongings, but your spare clothing, at least, is still back in the chest in your room. There's probably other stuff you need to gather up, too.

>You decide you have one last question to ask.
>Neu looks at you with an uncertain expression; you think you can see a trace of doubt and sadness in it as well. "Yes?"

« Reply #227 on: August 05, 2012, 07:45:37 AM »
>Look her in the eye, but ask in a gentle tone, "Why did you fight so hard for me?"

« Reply #228 on: August 05, 2012, 08:12:29 AM »
>Look her in the eye, but ask in a gentle tone, "Why did you fight so hard for me?"

>Neu's antennae wilt slightly and she glances uncomfortably at the activity around her. "I've, um..." She frowns. "I've been in a... similar position."

« Reply #229 on: August 05, 2012, 08:26:20 AM »
>Makes perfect sense. But it also makes perfect sense that she wouldn't want to talk about it, certainly not with as many ears as there are passing by. Just bad timing, that's all.
>Give the moth a smile. "I understand. That's good enough for me."

« Reply #230 on: August 05, 2012, 08:44:28 AM »
>Makes perfect sense. But it also makes perfect sense that she wouldn't want to talk about it, certainly not with as many ears as there are passing by. Just bad timing, that's all.
>Give the moth a smile. "I understand. That's good enough for me."

>Neu slowly nods, her expression easing just a little.

« Reply #231 on: August 05, 2012, 09:58:38 AM »
>Quietly, so as not to draw undue attention to her and us. "Maybe, though, if we see each other again, we could talk about it then? Who knows, I may well have found a cure by then."

« Reply #232 on: August 05, 2012, 06:59:52 PM »
>Quietly, so as not to draw undue attention to her and us. "Maybe, though, if we see each other again, we could talk about it then? Who knows, I may well have found a cure by then."

>She gives you a searching look for a moment, then nods. "I think I'd like that. It would be good to know you've found your answer."

« Reply #233 on: August 06, 2012, 01:10:04 AM »
>"Any idea how long you'll be in town here?"

« Reply #234 on: August 06, 2012, 01:21:42 AM »
>"Any idea how long you'll be in town here?"

>"At least a few days," she says. "Maybe even a week. Between the pirate attack and the delay in Braston, our itinerary is a bit disrupted, but we'll want repairs before getting underway again. If there's something I can do to help in the meantime, please don't hesitate to ask."

« Reply #235 on: August 06, 2012, 01:43:59 AM »
>"I know where to find you. And give my thanks, and my best, to the others, as well."

« Reply #236 on: August 06, 2012, 01:48:34 AM »
>"I know where to find you. And give my thanks, and my best, to the others, as well."

>She nods. "Of course."

« Reply #237 on: August 06, 2012, 02:02:16 AM »
>Let us go retreive what belongings we have left to accumulate from this boat.

« Reply #238 on: August 06, 2012, 02:20:01 AM »
>Let us go retreive what belongings we have left to accumulate from this boat.

>You excuse yourself and return to your room to gather up the rest of your things while the crew buzzes about, setting up the winch and opening the cargo hatch. You see Neu joining in with them as you leave her side.

>Packing is quick and painless; you hadn't really taken much out of your pack in the first place, and there's only a couple places you could have put them. This is good, since you're already anxious to get back to business here. You take the rest of your clothing out of the chest and work it into your pack, along with a few other loose items, then give the whole thing a once-over to make sure you haven't missed anything. Seems good; that should be everything you came with, minus a few capfuls of herbal remedy.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:37:28 AM by DracoOmega »

« Reply #239 on: August 06, 2012, 02:27:35 AM »
>Inventory