Author Topic: What do you want to never happen in Touhou?  (Read 68546 times)

Re: What do you want to never happen in Touhou?
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2012, 01:53:24 PM »
On a related note, what would your responses be if you all found out that Rinnosuke would appear in ZUN's next game? Asking out of curiosity lol
Dunno....I probably wouldn't play. :V

Zil

« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2012, 03:25:52 PM »
On a related note, what would your responses be if you all found out that Rinnosuke would appear in ZUN's next game? Asking out of curiosity lol
It would be awesome because Rinnosuke is the manliest badass is in Gensokyo. Buy it, play it, fap to it.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2012, 04:01:19 PM »
Men appearing in the game's story.

Since this has come up several times before, I'd like to ask: to those of you who would object to male characters in Touhou games, why? Why would this ruin the game, make it unplayable, or be otherwise undesirable?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2012, 04:04:04 PM »
Since this has come up several times before, I'd like to ask: to those of you who would object to male characters in Touhou games, why? Why would this ruin the game, make it unplayable, or be otherwise undesirable?
Maybe because the Touhou community has grown used to lolis flying everywhere

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »

This,
If I've to add upon that, I guess it's because some have grown to expect ZUN to put only girls in the games. Dunno if putting men in the game would make it "unplayable", but it'll make the game undesirable for people who want girls only. If the game's good, then I guess they'll be fine with the game, though.
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2012, 04:58:20 PM »
My thoughts exactly.

Zil

« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2012, 05:48:27 PM »
Unzan.

Really though, that's hardly a good reason, at least if you're talking about playing the game or not. If you want to dislike the character, go ahead, but you'd really outright ignore the game because it has a male character?

« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2012, 06:21:44 PM »
I've always found myself a bit dumbfounded when people talk about adding males into touhou as 'ruining the game'.
However they do have a point, while I personally couldn't care less, it would be awkward for zun to just have a guy show up with a handful of spellcards after so many years of an all girl cast.
An existing character like Rinnosuke could potentially work, but otherwise he'd have to be careful throwing him in there.

« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2012, 07:08:10 PM »
I wouldn't mind having male characters on the condition that they are related in any way to a pre-existing character otherwise it'd seem too out of the blue. 

Although im not really for, too many males in Touhou pretty much because of how some of the fandom would use it (MANnosuke is enough for me) although it could possibly bring out some interesting fan works.

Tengukami

« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2012, 07:17:27 PM »
So, in other words, because it would be too much of a change from the Touhou you know?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »
Hm, I think so in regards to my Touhou Fanon image and the stuff fans would produce

Now that I think about it, a male character would not really change much for the overall Canon-Story of Touhou since I feel he may be a low stage boss (so it'll only affect one side of Touhou), unless he's a final or stage 5 boss since it's possible he'll cause as much change as the Moriya Shrine crew to Touhou

« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2012, 09:24:52 PM »
what if it's a little boy rather than a man :O

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2012, 10:37:51 PM »
Rinnosuke is the one dude. That's his thing. You can't take away his thing! Every other male is either non-humanoid or is never shown.

Introducing male characters would be a drastic shift in Touhou's feminine aesthetic, what with how spellcard battles are supposed to be contests of beauty and whatnot. There's the "girls are preparing" line, the fact that historically male characters have been remade as females (Miko)...everyone being a girl is just part of the setting.

(Also I like my lesbian paradise the way it is)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:03:29 PM by Stuffman »

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2012, 02:52:31 AM »
Come to think of it, maybe they're just worried that the game would turn out to be in a style where Reimu fights against all midbosses and bosses that are male. It wouldn't hurt to add like only one male midboss/boss in the game, but if it turns out that all the midbosses/bosses are male, then I would say "hmm... that's quite unexpected."
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Tengukami

« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2012, 03:03:55 AM »
To be honest, I have literally no opinion on male characters introduced to Touhou, but seeing how strongly a lot of people feel about it, I was curious to see if there was a common thread. And yeah, seems to essentially boil down to what Stuffman said about the game's "feminine aesthetic", which is a good way to put it.

And truly, how would Rinnosuke deal with another man in Gensokyo? It'd be awkward, certainly. And not in a zany, episode-of-Friends kinda way, either.

« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2012, 05:32:37 AM »
what with how spellcard battles are supposed to be contests of beauty and whatnot.

Of course, if the spellcard battles could focus more on power than just looking pretty then I wouldn't mind a male boss or two.  :V

« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2012, 06:11:45 AM »
I dunno, Marisa tends to be on the category of spell cards need to be flashy and things like go big or go home.

Male characters would be awkward, but hey, they have some. As long as they aren't final bosses or playable, it shouldn't be too much of a shift and can be a slow introduction.

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2012, 06:35:52 AM »
Geesh, he could just make them effeminate and call it a day, everyone would be happy!

In general, male characters would be an interesting change. In fact, I think a male main character would be the only reason to consider not picking Reimu, for me at least. Though I think I still wouldn't change, I'd rather stick with one character all the way through.

« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2012, 09:10:51 AM »
To be honest, I have literally no opinion on male characters introduced to Touhou

This, pretty much. I still need to actively remind myself that Futo and Mokou are female, to the point of almost using "he" every time I refer to one or the other, and even assumed the latter was male for a while.
I only really remember that the series contains practically no males or (physical) adults when I'm considering introducing it to others.

Having said that, I would find it really disconcerting if the guy was anything other than a boy that could be considered androgenous in zunart.

Tengukami

« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2012, 09:15:46 AM »
Having said that, I would find it really disconcerting if the guy was anything other than a boy that could be considered androgenous in zunart.

I agree, because that would be in keeping with ZUN's art style. Not really seeing "Fat Balding Middle-Aged Accountant For Mid-Sized Electronics Supplier-san" for the Stage 5 boss of Touhou 14.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2012, 09:39:12 AM »
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing male characters, honestly. It's a welcome change from what we usually see every so often when a new touhou game comes out, and given how I work, I tend to like things that break the norm with something interesting. Yeah, it'll be 'awkward' when he's there instead of the 'magical loli' we were expecting to see, but to me, it's a lot better than seeing what I've grown used to for so many years. 
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2012, 12:41:18 PM »
I wouldn't like male characters in the games, since I've gotten used to the improbably female cast and I like it. It's no end of the world though. And Rinnosuke's alright, since he's already in the verse.

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2012, 07:11:58 PM »
It's a minor thing and it doesn't bother me that much but I'd prefer if ZUN went back to power items giving more than .01 of your power.  I know its already happened in 2 games but I think them being worth .05 would be better just to have less clutter on the screen.

One thing I really don't want to see, like some people said, is the fanon romance to creep into the game. I'll admit that I do enjoy watching it outside of the game, just keep it there.  I'm pretty sure that would never happen as it would really change the tone of the game.

SuccinctAndPunchy

• Fear The Melon!
  • I would murder all of you for a cup of tea.
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2012, 10:33:24 PM »
Male characters, female characters.

Makes no difference to me. They all get obscured behind a clusterfuck of bullets within seconds anyway. Gender's not gonna have any bearing on the bullets.

Tengukami

« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2012, 10:36:41 PM »
I think the people making the objections care more about the narrative aspect than the gameplay.

Scarlet Bellflower

• I stand around doing nothing...
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2012, 02:05:13 PM »
I don't see much difference between male and female. However, having a character whose gender is unknown would be cool, akin to the Pyro is TF2.
"Touhou is like the 60's in Mississippi, only you play as a white cop against an horde of civil rights protesters armed to the teeth." - A friend.

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »
I don't see much difference between male and female. However, having a character whose gender is unknown would be cool, akin to the Pyro is TF2.
Sariel?

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »
However, having a character whose gender is unknown would be cool, akin to the Pyro is TF2.
And then all her/his/its lines: 'Mmmmmmmf! Mmmm mmm mmmmph! Mmmh?':V

While I don't mind male characters in-game it would be odd to see them as even midbosses beyond the first three stages.

Now, back to topic: I'd like to avoid seeing second loops in Touhou, even if they're just for Lunatic and maybe Hard. While that would be a good way to distinguish Easy/Normal and Hard/Lunatic, it wouldn't fit too well with how Touhou works IMO.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Tengukami

« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2012, 06:08:48 PM »
I'd hate to see some kind of "all star" game; all the most popular characters brought together in one game, just to celebrate their popularity. That's like the equivalent of a "best of" album from a musician. You know it's over when they try to sell a compilation of old stuff as a new body of work.

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2012, 06:48:15 PM »
I'd hate to see some kind of "all star" game; all the most popular characters brought together in one game, just to celebrate their popularity. That's like the equivalent of a "best of" album from a musician. You know it's over when they try to sell a compilation of old stuff as a new body of work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85bE4NlzrLE
Things you hate come true, things you like will never come true.