Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)  (Read 48332 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)
« Reply #450 on: April 15, 2012, 05:12:11 AM »
>Restrain the urge to bite that smile off the smug parasite's face.
>"People that didn't want it to fall into the wrong hands."
>"I expect this will be a big pay day for you, then."

>A few choice one-liners roll through your head, but you bite your tongue to keep from spoiling the opportunity to actually get something out of this tengu.

>"And you wanted it for your own before it got to wherever it was going."

>She flashes you a triumphant grin. "Exactly!"
>"My guess is Remilia's the one they're running it for," she continues. "She's one of the Academy's big backers and likes to keep her fingers in all kinds of things like this. Off the record, of course. But we can give this artifact a better fate than just another trophy in her gallery, or some pawn in the nobles' petty politics."

« Reply #451 on: April 15, 2012, 05:17:23 AM »
>Remilia. Would that be that 'Scarlet' person one of the pirates mentioned below decks?

« Reply #452 on: April 15, 2012, 05:19:06 AM »
>Remilia. Would that be that 'Scarlet' person one of the pirates mentioned below decks?

>It would make sense with what she said, but the name doesn't really ring any bells for you.

« Reply #453 on: April 15, 2012, 05:20:57 AM »
>"Ren mentioned a 'Lady Scarlet' before. Is that this 'Remilia'?"

« Reply #454 on: April 15, 2012, 05:40:13 AM »
>"Ren mentioned a 'Lady Scarlet' before. Is that this 'Remilia'?"

>The tengu nods. "That would be her. Most powerful person in Val Razua." Then she gives you a sidelong glance. "Haven't been there yourself, have you?"

« Reply #455 on: April 15, 2012, 05:46:10 AM »
>Oh sure, like SHE cares about our travel history.
>"Not yet."

« Reply #456 on: April 16, 2012, 10:55:43 PM »
>Oh sure, like SHE cares about our travel history.
>"Not yet."

>"Nice place," she says. "Always something interesting to keep an ear on, between the scheming and the ostentation. Can't go long without running into that name, though." The tengu gives a wry smile. "She thinks quite a lot of herself. Of course, she's not the only one."

« Reply #457 on: April 17, 2012, 02:16:17 AM »
>"If you're as well informed as you claim, I'd guess you've already got a buyer lined up."

« Reply #458 on: April 17, 2012, 02:21:29 AM »
>"If you're as well informed as you claim, I'd guess you've already got a buyer lined up."

>She actually looks a little surprised at this. "What? For the artifact? Of course not." Then she smiles. "You didn't think I'd go to all this trouble just to sell it, did you?"

« Reply #459 on: April 17, 2012, 02:26:12 AM »
>"Of course I would. What else would you do with it, mount it on your wall and stare at it?"

« Reply #460 on: April 17, 2012, 03:06:37 AM »
>"Of course I would. What else would you do with it, mount it on your wall and stare at it?"

>She laughs, a crisp and light, yet somehow grating sound. "This isn't just some old piece of ancient history. It's important. There was a reason the Academy didn't send it with the rest of their finds, and a reason that other thief was after it in particular. If they'd just wanted to make a quick buck, the archeologists had a ton of other stuff they could have fenced to some rich collector or another. No, this one is special."
>"If this thing... really does belong to Lady Scarlet," Miyuki says with a doubtful expression on her face, "you can't expect her to just ignore you stealing it, can you?"
>The tengu chuckles again, then breaks into a broad grin. "I'd like to see her try and get it back! You see, she can't make this a public issue without admitting certain ties she'd rather keep strictly off-the-record. You can't send a whole fleet out into the Expanse without people talking and it would take a whole fleet." The expression on her face is supremely smug.
>"It took you three ships just to capture one unarmed freighter," Neu points out. Her tone is almost unnaturally calm, as though she were merely commenting on the weather over a morning cup of tea.
>The tengu gives her an indulgent smile. "Oh, now with the modesty? We both know the Maiden's in a class of its own. I'd really like to get a tour of the place now that I'm here, actually.... You're even better than your rep and there's some impressive work gone into this ship."
>"You birdbrains wouldn't know a good gyro-compensator from a hole in your butts," Ishi grumbles.
>"Ha!" The tengu's laugh is warm and genuine and feels completely at odds with the situation. "I think I like you."
>The kappa throws her a disgruntled scowl. "Not mutual."

« Reply #461 on: April 17, 2012, 03:32:27 AM »
>"Okay, fine, this is something special, something someone didn't want to fall into the wrong wings. So what DOES someone like you want with it, if it's not fattening your wallet?"

« Reply #462 on: April 17, 2012, 04:00:37 AM »
>"Okay, fine, this is something special, something someone didn't want to fall into the wrong wings. So what DOES someone like you want with it, if it's not fattening your wallet?"

>"Don't you have any sense of adventure?" she asks. "You're a Seeker, aren't you? Could you resist finding out what it does? An ancient artifact of a lost civilization, important enough to bring some very sneaky characters out of the woodwork looking for it? I don't think any true explorer could help themselves!"

« Reply #463 on: April 17, 2012, 04:06:17 AM »
>Suppress a derisive chuckle, but shake our head slowly.
>"So that's how you see yourself. An explorer."
>Bring our head back up and add, "Don't compare yourself to me, pirate. I help people. I don't moralize and pretend to be upset about hurting people, and then go off and count the money I just took from them. You're no explorer. You're just a thief, and the only difference between you and a footpad in an alley is you've got a boat."

« Reply #464 on: April 17, 2012, 04:21:26 AM »
>Suppress a derisive chuckle, but shake our head slowly.
>"So that's how you see yourself. An explorer."
>Bring our head back up and add, "Don't compare yourself to me, pirate. I help people. I don't moralize and pretend to be upset about hurting people, and then go off and count the money I just took from them. You're no explorer. You're just a thief, and the only difference between you and a footpad in an alley is you've got a boat."

>She frowns. "Shame you see it that way. And here I wasn't even after anything that belonged to any of you. Do you think Remilia's going to starve for want of one more trinket? She already has more money than half the city put together. Might even do her some good to lose from time to time."

« Reply #465 on: April 17, 2012, 04:33:39 AM »
>"You misunderstand. I don't give a rat's backside at some noblewoman's ego or image or pocketbook. Matter of fact, I don't especially care for nobility in general. But you didn't steal from HER. You didn't break into HER basement, attack HER people, and leave them battered and bound. You did all that to US. And if I read you right, it wouldn't matter who had this relic. You wanted it, and so you were going to take it. No matter who you had to go through to get it."
>"But I will grant that you're no ordinary thief. Someone else in your position would have had us all run through by now." Jerk our thumb back towards Chisato. "Someone else wouldn't have bothered pretending to care about one, or any, of their victims. And that leaves me wondering: What happens now?"
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:55:31 AM by Sourfang, the Falling Star »

« Reply #466 on: April 17, 2012, 05:51:16 AM »
>"You misunderstand. I don't give a rat's backside at some noblewoman's ego or image or pocketbook. Matter of fact, I don't especially care for nobility in general. But you didn't steal from HER. You didn't break into HER basement, attack HER people, and leave them battered and bound. You did all that to US. And if I read you right, it wouldn't matter who had this relic. You wanted it, and so you were going to take it. No matter who you had to go through to get it."
>"But I will grant that you're no ordinary thief. Someone else in your position would have had us all run through by now." Jerk our thumb back towards Chisato. "Someone else wouldn't have bothered pretending to care about one, or any, of their victims. And that leaves me wondering: What happens now?"

>"What happens now?" She pauses thoughtfully. "Well, some of that's up to you. No one had to get hurt in the first place, I should point out. If you hadn't tried to hurt us, this whole mess could have been finished without a single bump or bruise on anyone. I remind you that it was your side that struck the first blow."
>"Choke on a cucumber, you pompom-hatted windbag!" Ishi shouts, then thrusts a finger accusingly at the Maiden's damaged turbine, a jagged gash torn across its side. "Look at that rotor! Look at it! That's your fault!"
>"Our fault, hmm?" The tengu gives her a playfully indulgent look. "And who exactly chose to fly under there in the first place? Even then, I'm sure you'd have come out the other side with barely a scratch if you'd just let us tow you when we tried."
>"Not enough choking!"
>"This is immaterial," Neu interjects, throwing a sidelong glance in Ishi's direction. "And I'd like an answer to the mouse's question myself."
>"Of course." The tengu leader pauses for another moment, musing at the sky. Neu maintains a calm, but extremely serious expression through the silence, while Miyuki appears to be bravely concealing deep worry.
>"Well, we'll be retrieving what we come for, of course," the tengu continues eventually. "If you have any other serious injuries, we can share medical supplies and help tend to them. No one's going to get hurt any more unless they try to start another fight. But we're going to have to take a few more things to make up for the wreck of the Bunbunmaru. I'm sure you understand." She throws Neu an injured-looking frown. "The ship meant a lot to me, you know. She's been with me since the beginning, back when I was just a clerk in the information corps. And now there's a good chance she'll never fly again."
>The moth maintains a professionally neutral expression. "You'll forgive me for not being terribly sympathetic to its loss, at the moment." Fortunately, her captor doesn't seem particularly put off by this response.
>The pirate opens her mouth to continue, but then an idea appears to strike her and she turns slowly towards Ishi instead, an appraising look on her face. "Although... if you help out with the repairs, I might be able to cut our damage fee by a nice bit. What do you say?"
>Ishi just glares at her. "Still not enough choking..."

« Reply #467 on: April 17, 2012, 06:07:04 AM »
>"While I could point out that this mess could have been avoided had you simply buggered off to steal from someone else, I'll save my breath. You'll never see it that way."
>"Let me see if I understand you. You want our engineer here to help fix your ship?"

« Reply #468 on: April 17, 2012, 06:34:10 AM »
>"While I could point out that this mess could have been avoided had you simply buggered off to steal from someone else, I'll save my breath. You'll never see it that way."
>"Let me see if I understand you. You want our engineer here to help fix your ship?"

>The tengu shrugs. "I know she's very good at what she does, and we might need some creativity to get her back in one piece. It could go a long way to paying down your debt."
>"Not a chance," Ishi replies.
>The tengu just shrugs. "Well, it's up to you."

>At this point, another voice interjects from further down the deck.
>"Her wounds are bandaged and tended to," Hatoko says. "Though she'd do well not to strain herself for a while. Do you want me to take care of anything else?"
>"Take her back to her room," the tengu replies, "and let her lie down." She turns to the other captured crew members. "If one of you wants to go with her, that's fine by me. As long as you swear not to try anything that's only going to get the both of you hurt again."
>Miyuki and Neu look at each other briefly and then the moth nods. Ishi just continues to scowl; you honestly wonder if she's attempting to remedy the tengu's choking problem with her glare.
>"I'll go," Miyuki says.
>"You promise to be on your best behavior?" the tengu says.
>Miyuki looks at her with just a trace of defiance for a moment, before her expression softens into a resigned frown. "It's clear who's won," she says.
>The tengu leader gives her a once-over, then nods and motions to the other tengu who moves in and undos the bindings on her legs. Hatoko picks Chisato up off the ground; she does this gently, as best you can tell, though the redhead still groans weakly at the movement. Miyuki frowns again. The pair of them start to leave the deck, though Miyuki spares another worried glance at the rest of you as she departs.

« Reply #469 on: April 17, 2012, 06:55:08 AM »
>Does she still appear to be limping?
>Has her ankle shown any signs of improvement?

« Reply #470 on: April 17, 2012, 06:58:06 AM »
>Does she still appear to be limping?
>Has her ankle shown any signs of improvement?

>She's trying not to, though it's still fairly obvious.
>If anything, it looks quite a bit more inflamed than it was when this all started; you're sure the workout she gave it only exacerbated the injury.

« Reply #471 on: April 17, 2012, 07:03:54 AM »
>Call to Hatoko, "Wait. Take a look at my friends' ankle, too." Add, after a couple seconds, "Please."

« Reply #472 on: April 17, 2012, 07:27:05 AM »
>Call to Hatoko, "Wait. Take a look at my friends' ankle, too." Add, after a couple seconds, "Please."

>"She'll be fine," the parrot replies dully, with barely a visible glance given to Miyuki. "I can't carry the both of them at once."
>"I can walk just fine," Miyuki says with cold determination, though it's evident to anyone around her that this is only half true.
>"At least get her some ice!" the lead tengu calls out as the pair of them reach the stairs down. There is no acknowledgment from Hatoko, though the tengu seems satisfied enough that the message was delivered.

« Reply #473 on: April 17, 2012, 07:46:40 AM »
>Turn back to Shameimaru. Assuming this IS the fabled pirate boss we're dealing with here.
>"That's one thing I haven't understood since all this started. I can accept there's some things I can't detect; I'm good, I'm not perfect. I can even accept someone put something on this ship to keep it out of the wrong hands." Avoid pointing out that that's happening ANYWAY, despite our best efforts. "But I've never heard of a thief that gave a damn about the well being of their victims, at least physically. Not unless they were getting something out of it."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:27:34 AM by Sourfang, the Falling Star »

« Reply #474 on: April 17, 2012, 07:20:23 PM »
>Turn back to Shameimaru. Assuming this IS the fabled pirate boss we're dealing with here.
>"That's one thing I haven't understood since all this started. I can accept there's some things I can't detect; I'm good, I'm not perfect. I can even accept someone put something on this ship to keep it out of the wrong hands." Avoid pointing out that that's happening ANYWAY, despite our best efforts. "But I've never heard of a thief that gave a damn about the well being of their victims, at least physically. Not unless they were getting something out of it."

>Aya leans in and gives you a wry smile. "Would you rather I cut you guys up some more?"
>Then she leans back and shrugs. "I already said I've got nothing against any of you. In fact, I'd love to hear some of the stories a crew like this has. I'm sure you've seen all kinds of things on the skies. And the way your captain handled that island-ducking maneuver..." she says with a glance towards the still-vacant Murasa. "That wasn't the first time she did that, was it?"
>Neu gives her a cool look. "I don't suppose it would convince you to lower your 'fee' if we agreed to fraternize for a while?"
>"Probably not," Aya replies. "Fixing that kind of damage is going to be expensive, you know."
>Neu sighs.
>"Hey, you were the ones that smashed it into the island," Aya says, sounding just a little wounded. "Actions have consequences; I'm sure you understand. In fact, I'll bet you were the one that made the shot," she adds with a finger pointed at the moth. You note the other tengu throw a less-than-kind look in Neu's direction. "Impressive aim, though. Not just anyone could land a grapple at that speed."
>Neu makes no response.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #475 on: April 17, 2012, 08:41:52 PM »
Oh, if you insist.

(Did we ever actually get Aya's first name?)

> "Well, I suppose I do have a story I could spin for a bit."
> Pull down our right sleeve and show off the blight mark.
> "Ever seen something like this before?"
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #476 on: April 17, 2012, 09:20:38 PM »
(Did we ever actually get Aya's first name?)

Aya's name has been mentioned in a position of authority multiple times, if not explicitly connected with Shameimaru. But if Nazrin is going to assume that this is the pirate in charge, she has enough knowledge to connect the dots. And I'm tired of calling her 'that tengu' several dozen times...

> "Well, I suppose I do have a story I could spin for a bit."
> Pull down our right sleeve and show off the blight mark.
> "Ever seen something like this before?"

>You pull up your sleeve to reveal the blight mark on it, and Aya tilts her head to get a better look at it, scrutinizing it with curiosity, though little apparent fear.
>"So is this that deadly disease you were talking about earlier?" she says.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #477 on: April 17, 2012, 10:25:02 PM »
> "Yeah. Got it dealing with a very old and very angry tsuchigumo woman. Very angry. The entire Blue Maiden's hatred of you combined for all this is a drop in the bucket of her utter loathing for me. Left a lot more of myself in her lair than I have here, and now I get to bear this all over my body as my reward."
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #478 on: April 17, 2012, 11:38:42 PM »
> "Yeah. Got it dealing with a very old and very angry tsuchigumo woman. Very angry. The entire Blue Maiden's hatred of you combined for all this is a drop in the bucket of her utter loathing for me. Left a lot more of myself in her lair than I have here, and now I get to bear this all over my body as my reward."

>"Sounds nasty," she says with a sympathetic wince. "How'd this happen?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #479 on: April 17, 2012, 11:47:15 PM »
>"Well, it was a pretty average-seeming job at first, find out why the cattle around where I grew up were going missing."
>Shrug. "Sounds pretty simple right? Trust me, it was anything but. Turns out that there were giant spiders behind it all. I tracked 'em to this one cave to gather more information, and that's where I got into it with that tsuchigumo. Guess you could say it's a curse of sorts, seein' how she hated me as much as she does."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure